PDA

View Full Version : iBook wont boot. HELP PLEASE!

joetronic
Mar 17, 2005, 08:21 AM
I went to turn my iBook G3 900mhz tis morning, and it will not boot. I here the drive spinning, but I get no chime and no video. So I unpluged it, and removed the battery, and tried to boot it again, but the same thing.

Yesterday when I went to boot it it did the start up chime, got video, but when it went ot OSX the screen went black, but the screen was working (video black, not screen off black if that makes sense.) I had to doa hard reboot then it booted fine and ran good all day. I just put to sleep last night by closing the lid but when I opened i up it froze so I had to do a hard reboot, thats when the problem started today. Anyone have any suggestions. logic board?

I was hoping to use this today for a very important presentation, and I SOL?

joetronic
Mar 17, 2005, 12:11 PM
okay... I tried reseting the PMU with the directiosn from the Apple Website:
If the computer is on, turn it off.
Reset the power manager by simultaneously pressing and then releasing Shift-Control-Option-Power on the keyboard. Do not press the fn (Function) key while using this combination of keystrokes.
Wait 5 seconds.
Press the Power button to restart the iBook computer.

this did not seem to do anything. I heard no noises or anything. Problem still there.

Norouzi
Mar 17, 2005, 12:27 PM
Do you have any additional RAM in the iBook? If so take it out and see if it'll boot up. If it does then it's most likely bad RAM.

joetronic
Mar 17, 2005, 12:44 PM
Do you have any additional RAM in the iBook? If so take it out and see if it'll boot up. If it does then it's most likely bad RAM.

okay this is wierd. I took out my extra RAM, no difference. Put the ram back in and reset he PMU again and now it boots. Now the screen is going nuts (flashing and flickering) and is locked up again. this is f'n wierd.

Norouzi
Mar 17, 2005, 01:05 PM
Sounds like a logic board problem, do you have Applecare? If you do just call Apple, actually, I'd call them anyway, maybe your iBook is one that had a known logic board problem, I know there were a few that did, but I'm not sure on what models.

joetronic
Mar 17, 2005, 01:08 PM
Sounds like a logic board problem, do you have Applecare? If you do just call Apple, actually, I'd call them anyway, maybe your iBook is one that had a known logic board problem, I know there were a few that did, but I'm not sure on what models.

It is one of the ones that had it. I guess I've just been lucky till now. Do you think I could just take to a Apple Store. Theres one not to far away from me in Towson.

by the way, I tried to reboot again and now its doing the same thing (not booting at all)

so you think it might be the logic board. I don't have applecare on it and can't aford any repairs if its not the board.

Norouzi
Mar 17, 2005, 01:12 PM
Yeah, definatily take it to an Apple Store they should be able to help you out. Hopefully you can still get the logic board replaced under the recall.

joetronic
Mar 17, 2005, 01:14 PM
Yeah, definatily take it to an Apple Store they should be able to help you out. Hopefully you can still get the logic board replaced under the recall.

its two years old (i think) so I shoudl still eb covered under the recall. The site says March18th, or threee years, whatever is longer.

Any chance they will not be able to fix it and give me a new one? lol, I dought it but a man can dream can't he.

Norouzi
Mar 17, 2005, 01:27 PM
its two years old (i think) so I shoudl still eb covered under the recall. The site says March18th, or threee years, whatever is longer.

Any chance they will not be able to fix it and give me a new one? lol, I dought it but a man can dream can't he.

I've heard of it happening before, someone with a G3 iBook goes in for a repair and ends up getting a G4 iBook back. I wouldn't get your hopes up, but hey anythings possible.