PDA

View Full Version : Explosion Creates Potential iPad Production Loss of 500,000 Units as Foxconn Briefly Shuts All Polishing Lines

MacRumors
May 24, 2011, 08:43 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/24/explosion-creates-potential-ipad-production-loss-of-500000-units-as-foxconn-briefly-shuts-all-polishing-lines/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/foxconn_chengdu_firefighters.jpg

Research firm IHS iSuppli yesterday issued a report (http://www.isuppli.com/manufacturing-and-pricing/news/pages/ihs-isuppli-news-flash-production-of-half-million-ipads-at-risk-from-foxconn-plant-explosion.aspx) estimating the potential iPad 2 production loss due to the explosion (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/20/explosion-reported-at-foxconns-ipad-production-plant-in-chengdu-china/) at its Chengdu, China plant at up to 500,000 units. The estimated shortfall comes after Foxconn reportedly reassured suppliers (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/22/foxconn-to-suppliers-ipad-2-production-will-not-delayed-due-to-explosion/) that production will continue.While most iPad 2 production takes place at another Foxconn facility in Shenzhen, that plant may not be able to compensate for all the lost output in the second quarter at the Chengdu site. The Shenzhen facility at present has capacity to produce 7.5 million units in the second quarter - iSuppli forecasts 7.4 million iPad 2 units will be shipped out during this period. To support these shipments, Foxconn must manufacture a larger quantity of devices, at between 7.8 and 8.1 million units during the second quarter. This means that Foxconn's shipments will fall short of expected levels by between 300,000 and 600,000 units in the second quarter.Preliminary investigations into the cause of the blast have pinpointed a buildup of combustible dust in the facility's ventilation system, and The Wall Street Journal reports (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304066504576340742638224326.html) that Foxconn has temporarily shut down polishing workshops at all of its facilities for testing in order to ensure that similar explosions do not occur elsewhere. Three workers were killed and over a dozen others were injured in the Chengdu blast.A spokesman for Hon Hai said the company's tests at the affected workshops could last two days. "The workshops could be back online as soon as they pass the test," he said.Foxconn has indicated that it has ample supplies of polished parts to carry it through the brief shutdown, suggesting that the testing will have little impact on the company's production capacity. The same can not be said for the damaged Chengdu production lines, as it will undoubtedly take time to sort out the events and restart production. The company does, however, have significant flexibility with its huge number of production lines at a number of different facilities, and its ability to move quickly on construction projects means that it could have the Chengdu plant back up and running in relatively short order.

Article Link: Explosion Creates Potential iPad Production Loss of 500,000 Units as Foxconn Briefly Shuts All Polishing Lines (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/24/explosion-creates-potential-ipad-production-loss-of-500000-units-as-foxconn-briefly-shuts-all-polishing-lines/)

boshii
May 24, 2011, 08:45 AM
Wow. That's a pretty big dent in production.

BlindMellon
May 24, 2011, 08:49 AM
Starting to wonder if this explosion wasn't the result of some nefarious intentions...

adenbeckitt
May 24, 2011, 08:51 AM
Workers are killed and injured and the headline reads of production loss. :/ Something not right here.

Northgrove
May 24, 2011, 08:51 AM
POW! Right in the kisser!

But I seriously shouldn't joke about this with the injuries and all. And my iPad 2 order that I still haven't got.

Eriamjh1138@DAN
May 24, 2011, 08:52 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

There is no way such an incident foes not affect total numbers. They are already running full tilt as it is.

The Chinese should be furious such an explosion has occurred. This kind of thing is what drove unions to form in the USA in the 1930s: worker safety and working conditions.

Northgrove
May 24, 2011, 08:53 AM
Starting to wonder if this explosion wasn't the result of some nefarious intentions...

http://www.derangedshaman.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/steve-ballmer-dr-evil.jpg

boshii
May 24, 2011, 08:57 AM
Workers are killed and injured and the headline reads of production loss. :/ Something not right here.

You must've missed this article. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1156372

It would be pointless to make two posts about the deaths. At the end of the day, the bottom line (iPad production) will be the main focus.

*LTD*
May 24, 2011, 08:57 AM

MR and others have covered the tragedy in terms of worker injury already. We know what happened (more or less), and we're aware that some were injured and that there were fatalities.

It's now time to shift the focus to the tech/market perspective.

insider-man
May 24, 2011, 08:59 AM
What a load of crap! I saw this report earlier and laughed and now it appears here and I still laugh!

:apple:

RafaelT
May 24, 2011, 09:05 AM

How long are we supposed to focus on that before we can worry about the other issues that came from this accident.

Thunderhawks
May 24, 2011, 09:17 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

There is no way such an incident foes not affect total numbers. They are already running full tilt as it is.

The Chinese should be furious such an explosion has occurred. This kind of thing is what drove unions to form in the USA in the 1930s: worker safety and working conditions.

Your statement implies that nobody cares that there are accidents in China (or elsewhere).
Obviously any company that has to produce millions of devices makes sure that nothing explodes and jeopardizes their profits.
Unions could not have done a thing about this accident. They probably wouldn't even have had anybody with the expertise to analyze the venting process.
The fact that FoxConn is now testing its other facilities IMO shows that they were unaware of this possible danger and I am sure that from now on this area will get special attention and be monitored with re-written procedures, possibly additional equipment. Whatever it takes.

Again, they are taking this pre-caution not to jeopardize their profits.

Since everything in the end is always about money, sadly the underlying reason is not the fact that workers died.

Born Again
May 24, 2011, 09:17 AM

It may help if u actually read the article genius.

Investigation ruled out foul play.

I suppose you think 9/11 was a govt conspiracy? Rofl this guy!

How long are we supposed to focus on that before we can worry about the other issues that came from this accident.

You can focus on whatever

Some people have civility is all.

So if u want to complain that your iPad 2 will be even harder to get go right ahead.

I have a little violin playing for u when ur ready

johnnymg
May 24, 2011, 09:20 AM

snip......

A little humor/sarcasm challenged this morning? :rolleyes:

Born Again
May 24, 2011, 09:22 AM
A little humor/sarcasm challenged this morning? :rolleyes:

He's actually serious so no my friend

People truly people in stupid sh it

vartanarsen
May 24, 2011, 09:22 AM
oh crap...i better call an HVAC guy to do mainetnance on my furnace LOL

Tailpike1153
May 24, 2011, 09:35 AM
If we can't beat Apple, we'll blow up their fab plant. Dang, this industrial espionage/sabotage has gotten serious.

Lesser Evets
May 24, 2011, 09:35 AM
I'm eager to hear exactly what the explosive dust was comprised of.

tCruzin4lyfe
May 24, 2011, 09:36 AM

So if u want to complain that your iPad 2 will be even harder to get go right ahead.

We have a violin playing right now for you & people who have this so called "civility" . It's a tech site, nobody is down playing the injuries or deaths but at the same time, that's life and it's not some major disaster. Advisers happen like this more often than most people think.

Neodym
May 24, 2011, 09:52 AM

Aluminum. See http://sacom.hk/archives/844.

WestonHarvey1
May 24, 2011, 10:04 AM

If this had been the first headline, then yeah it would sound an awful lot like Onion News Network Autistic Reporter Michael Falk.

But I'd say there's been enough detached overseas mourning for strangers, and now it's ok to discuss other things related to the accident.

cwt1nospam
May 24, 2011, 10:08 AM
Your statement implies that nobody cares that there are accidents in China (or elsewhere).
Obviously any company that has to produce millions of devices makes sure that nothing explodes and jeopardizes their profits.
Unions could not have done a thing about this accident. They probably wouldn't even have had anybody with the expertise to analyze the venting process.
The fact that FoxConn is now testing its other facilities IMO shows that they were unaware of this possible danger and I am sure that from now on this area will get special attention and be monitored with re-written procedures, possibly additional equipment. Whatever it takes.

Again, they are taking this pre-caution not to jeopardize their profits.

That's incredibly dumb. Union members would have been the people working with the stuff and they would see the problem building over time. Not only would they have the expertise, but being union, they'd be less afraid to speak up about it than a non union worker who is afraid they'd lose their job.

Taking precautions to not jeopardize profits means that the company can and will calculate how many deaths they can get away with before spending money on proper safety equipment and procedures.

You need to wake up and realize that while the profit motive has many benefits it also has its dark side.

RafaelT
May 24, 2011, 10:22 AM

By your logic this world basically just needs to stop and mourn. There is bad stuff happening all the time.

Humans have the ability to multi task, we can feel bad about a bad incident but still gather information about it about and deal with the result off that incident. We don't have to mourn for a certain period of time before that.

iPad production isn't just about the consumers getting the iPad's in their hands, what about all those workers who can't work while the investigation is going on? You think Foxconn is paying them? I guarantee they are not.

Anyway I am not going to let this turn into a debate about what is right and wrong and ruin the thread, I said my part and will not reply to anymore concerning this.

Thunderhawks
May 24, 2011, 10:29 AM
That's incredibly dumb. Union members would have been the people working with the stuff and they would see the problem building over time. Not only would they have the expertise, but being union, they'd be less afraid to speak up about it than a non union worker who is afraid they'd lose their job.

Taking precautions to not jeopardize profits means that the company can and will calculate how many deaths they can get away with before spending money on proper safety equipment and procedures.

You need to wake up and realize that while the profit motive has many benefits it also has its dark side.

Haha, have you ever run a factory?

The union workers working with the stuff would be assembly workers and thus not even come near the venting equipment, let alone see a built up over time. They would be wearing masks with filters and probably even body suits to prevent particles landing on their skin and bodies.

The mechanics responsible for the venting equipment (union or not) did not see it coming and without any of us knowing the exact details I can think of plenty of causes:

Manufacturer recommended filter intervals too long
Maintenance workers not properly educated how to check
Equipment just faulty, defect
Sloppy enforcement of rules
Plain just forgotten to check

and the list of possibilities goes on and on.

To even think that being a union person would have mattered is ridiculous.
Chances are they would have dropped their wrench mid-work because the clock struck end of shift.

Asian people like to work in harmony, so assuming they wouldn't say anything in fear of being fired is also an unproven assumption. Plenty of ways to alert management of problems.

And yes, you are right when somebody opens a factory, they have a meeting and ask each department head how many people they think would be okay to die, if they put in smaller ventilators with less horsepower.
Then they proceed to even go under the death estimates and make sure it's allocated evenly per month.

Geez, talk about no knowledge of production!

42streetsdown
May 24, 2011, 11:17 AM

probably aluminum dust

dave420
May 24, 2011, 11:36 AM

Actually I read the headline as they have shut the polishing lines. As in they are valuing worker safety.

cwt1nospam
May 24, 2011, 11:41 AM
And yes, you are right when somebody opens a factory, they have a meeting and ask each department head how many people they think would be okay to die, if they put in smaller ventilators with less horsepower.
Then they proceed to even go under the death estimates and make sure it's allocated evenly per month.

Geez, talk about no knowledge of production!
Yeah, it's not like a large corporation has ever let people die (or destroyed other industries) in order to save some money. :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinkley_groundwater_contamination
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhopal_disaster
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exxon_Valdez_oil_spill
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepwater_Horizon_oil_spill

I'm sure what we really need is less regulation so that management can get right on these problems, unfettered by big, bad government. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thunderhawks
May 24, 2011, 11:59 AM
Yeah, it's not like a large corporation has ever let people die (or destroyed other industries) in order to save some money. :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinkley_groundwater_contamination
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhopal_disaster
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exxon_Valdez_oil_spill
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepwater_Horizon_oil_spill

I'm sure what we really need is less regulation so that management can get right on these problems, unfettered by big, bad government. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I am sure there are plenty of examples where cost cutting , trying to save money or ignoring potential dangers has occurred. It is still happening every day until the next accident.
Neglect, lax supervision, human error etc. etc. all contribute to accidents of any kind.

Much of what engineers dream up is working in theory, installed, tested and works fine initially. Management gets an estimate, asks for savings and will in most instances only implement the minimum demanded by law.

You can of course spin things either way and say that because of these business practices it is also accepted that if something happens it's part of doing business.

My point is that union workers would not have prevented this disaster and that nobody cynically plans deaths.

cwt1nospam
May 24, 2011, 12:12 PM
My point is that union workers would not have prevented this disaster and that nobody cynically plans deaths.
Then you've got some serious reading to do. PG&E for example, paid $295 million plus another $20 million in damages precisely because there was proof that they cynically planned to let people die rather than spend a few million on cleaning up their act.

While there are many similar publicly known cases, let's not forget that it is very common for corporations to settle them while admitting no wrongdoing and managing to keep things quiet.

dr Dunkel
May 24, 2011, 12:15 PM
Newspapers here are saying "Yet another serious accident at the infamous Foxconn plant". Straightening up of acts in order?

djrobsd
May 24, 2011, 12:18 PM
Wow, I can't believe how greedy and selfish people are these days... Whining and moaning about loss of production when people were injured and killed in this tragic explosion...

Oh Mr. Jobs, I'm so sorry that you'll loose 500,000 units this quarter... I know that's going to suck, 500,000 x $250 profit per unit... Oops you just lost 125 million... Which on a per share basis equates to about 1 cent... So sorry.

cwt1nospam
May 24, 2011, 12:29 PM
Much of what engineers dream up is working in theory, installed, tested and works fine initially. Management gets an estimate, asks for savings and will in most instances only implement the minimum demanded by law.
And one more thing:
This is not an engineering problem, nor is any accident at a production facility. All accidents at all factories are the direct responsibility of upper management. It's their job to produce and produce safely.

You've got two possible checks against management abuse/ineptitude: government and workers. If workers aren't unionized they're easier to replace and have little to protect them if they challenge management's poor decisions. So I guess if you're against unions you want Big Government, right? No, I'll bet you want neither. Just let management do what it wants and all will be well... :rolleyes:

Eddyisgreat
May 24, 2011, 12:32 PM
Wow, I can't believe how greedy and selfish people are these days... Whining and moaning about loss of production when people were injured and killed in this tragic explosion...

Oh Mr. Jobs, I'm so sorry that you'll loose 500,000 units this quarter... I know that's going to suck, 500,000 x $250 profit per unit... Oops you just lost 125 million... Which on a per share basis equates to about 1 cent... So sorry.

And when exactly should we move on?

Over 150000 die in this world every day. Do you personally mourn each and every one of their deaths? What about the last 150000 , or the 150000 before them?

No? Didn't think so.

cwt1nospam
May 24, 2011, 12:44 PM
And when exactly should we move on?
How about when upper management is imprisoned for this crime? And yes, this is a crime. Proper ventilation and filtration systems are available, and the knowledge to use them is not only widely available but the responsibility of management. Failing to use them is not an accident.

carmenodie
May 24, 2011, 12:46 PM

And the fact China has ZERO unions is why companies are over there. There is so little overhead it is disgusting. Sorry, but we in America are treated like trash.
We can get those job though if we agree to:
*No unions
*No overtime
*$2.00 an hour
*No health insurance
*No paid vacations
*No holiday pay
*No OSHA
*No lunch break
*15 hour work day
*No maternity leave
See, that'll put jobs back into this country.

Thunderhawks
May 24, 2011, 12:58 PM
And one more thing:
This is not an engineering problem, nor is any accident at a production facility. All accidents at all factories are the direct responsibility of upper management. It's their job to produce and produce safely.

You've got two possible checks against management abuse/ineptitude: government and workers. If workers aren't unionized they're easier to replace and have little to protect them if they challenge management's poor decisions. So I guess if you're against unions you want Big Government, right? No, I'll bet you want neither. Just let management do what it wants and all will be well... :rolleyes:

How is this not an engineering problem?

If the dust can accumulate to a point where it can explode, whatever was installed was wrong for whatever reason.
Again, I don't know the details, but warning systems for filter overload, line interruptors not installed or bypassed when filters are full (employees do that sometimes trying to "help")

Yes, eventually everything is a company's upper management fault, even the decision to install brand A over brand B or when an employee makes a bad decision , is irresponsible (Shouldn't have been hired etc.).

There are no safe guards against human errors or behavior that any management can establish.

There is IMO nothing that would have made a difference if union workers would have been employed. If you don't want to see that fact, I guess we just have to disagree.

I have been "subjected" to union workers over many years and there are a lot of issues, hence everybody tries like the plague to avoid unions and companies fight to keep them out of their factories.

While I have been to factories in Asia, I don't know enough about how their unions would be organized.

Obviously to let managements do whatever they want is not the answer and neither is big government.
In other threads it has been discussed how the US government is making it uninteresting to open up factories here.

Now there is an upper management that should be looked at.

cwt1nospam
May 24, 2011, 01:05 PM
How is this not an engineering problem?
The engineering is not at fault: there are well known procedures and widely available tools for dealing with the issue. These have been well engineered and will work, but only if applied. That's a management problem.

The US will always be uninteresting to corporations that want to pay slave wages and not pay to clean up after themselves. The solution to that is to raise taxes on imports. If they don't want to do business here they'll be replaced. That's the great thing about a free market.

JAT
May 24, 2011, 01:16 PM

Where is the cutoff on our grief for people we don't know, and never would have known?

Let's say, for today:
Should we eat?
Should we buy groceries?
Obviously we shouldn't buy an iPad.
What about new shoes for our kids?
Medicine for grandma?
Can I smile if the sun is out where I am?
Should we work?
Light candles?
What about helping my friend whose roof was torn off by winds on Sunday?

Eagerly awaiting your answer so I know how to behave.

cwt1nospam
May 24, 2011, 01:27 PM
Where is the cutoff on our grief for people we don't know, and never would have known?
I don't think you can truly grieve for them, but you should grieve for a system that allows others to profit by putting them in a needlessly life ending situation.

DrDomVonDoom
May 24, 2011, 01:51 PM

Union workers ....expertise?

PLEASE. Union workers are some of the laziest workers out there. They have sooo many safety nets covering their asses they can afford to be lazy. They do as LITTLE as possible while maintaining the situation and their own outrageous paychecks.

Sure a company may take in account a few deaths, and see if it is something manageable, but when it becomes a issue of workers taking on that responsibility the results are even more disasterous. I understand the need for workers to protect their rights, but those days are long gone. Maybe not in China, but we seen what unions have done to this country *cough*detroit*cough*, they outsourced everything, and China will not allow that to happen with them. All the unions care about is how much money they can leech on real hard workers. ****ing cess pit.

cwt1nospam
May 24, 2011, 01:58 PM
Union workers ....expertise?

PLEASE. Union workers are some of the laziest workers out there. They have sooo many safety nets covering their asses they can afford to be lazy. They do as LITTLE as possible while maintaining the situation and their own outrageous paychecks.

Sure a company may take in account a few deaths, and see if it is something manageable, but when it becomes a issue of workers taking on that responsibility the results are even more disasterous. I understand the need for workers to protect their rights, but those days are long gone. Maybe not in China, but we seen what unions have done to this country *cough*detroit*cough*, they outsourced everything, and China will not allow that to happen with them. All the unions care about is how much money they can leech on real hard workers. ****ing cess pit.
Nobody's saying unions are perfect. They're just one of a very few counterbalances to management greed. Sure, there are and will be examples of union greed/excess, but they pale in comparison to Wall Street bankers, Enron, Exxon, BP, the Savings and Loan execs, etc... the list goes on and on.

Oh, and unions don't have the authority to outsource jobs. That's done by management.

jonnysods
May 24, 2011, 02:14 PM
How many people died?

JAT
May 24, 2011, 03:13 PM
Nobody's saying unions are perfect. They're just one of a very few counterbalances to management greed. Sure, there are and will be examples of union greed/excess, but they pale in comparison to Wall Street bankers, Enron, Exxon, BP, the Savings and Loan execs, etc... the list goes on and on.

Oh, and unions don't have the authority to outsource jobs. That's done by management.

There's one theme running through this: humans are selfish bastards.

jonny,
Three people per the latest report.

Mbohanan
May 24, 2011, 04:55 PM
3 deaths at Foxconn plant.

I find it disturbing that it appears that Mac Rumors is more concerned with the disruption in production of iPad 2s than the loss of human life. That this fact is buried in the third paragraph (of a 5 paragraph-long story) fills me with a dread for our collective future.

Just sayin'

charlituna
May 24, 2011, 05:19 PM
Wow. That's a pretty big dent in production.

Not really when you consider that they said UP TO 500k but that is likely assuming that the plant is shut down for more than just two days. Because it is unlikely that they produce 250k units a day. More like 1/10th that amount.

And they only shut down the polishing lines. So it is possible that they are still building units and having the polishing temporarily farmed out to another company or even the other factory. So it could make even less of a dent in production

although all of this is moot anyway. Signs are that folks are still chasing ipads, still ordering online etc. And aren't ready to stop. So a few days halting or more like slow down (this particular plant is only like 20% of the ipad production anyway) isn't going to change demand.

Given that it is the blogs and blog commenters and NOT Apple (who sent out a press release about the loss of life and prayers to the families etc) harping on loss of production, delays etc, your disdain is out of line.

cwt1nospam
May 24, 2011, 06:04 PM
Well, they are! That's why Capitalism is the best economic system available. The big problem is that many so-called "conservative" people take it as a given that just because it's the best system it must be perfect... that it won't devolve into feudalism if left completely alone.

What we need now is a 21st century Henry Ford, who saw that raising pay (not cutting it) was the way to generate prosperity and created the Middle Class. Instead we pay homage (and massive tax breaks) to our Corporate Lords while our own incomes shrink. Then we're surprised when one of their factories has an "accident." We actually believe it when they say they didn't see it coming!

nitropowered
May 24, 2011, 07:27 PM
I hope this doesn't delay my ipad. Its been at "Prepared for Shipment" for two days now

Born Again
May 24, 2011, 07:28 PM
guys

a moment of silence please :(

maclaptop
May 24, 2011, 11:48 PM
In addition to the fact that iFans just love to fight.

Any subject is turned into a contest of accusations :)

adenbeckitt
May 25, 2011, 06:12 AM
Actually I read the headline as they have shut the polishing lines. As in they are valuing worker safety.

In which case I apologise for not realising this ;P I can see that now.

markcres
May 25, 2011, 07:12 AM
You just can't get the slave labour these days !!

Gasu E.
May 25, 2011, 11:46 AM

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged."--Matt. 7:1

minton
May 25, 2011, 10:10 PM
I really wish Apple would stop working with Foxconn. This makes me ambivalent about wanting an iPad:
Apple iPads Dwindle as Explosions Shutter China Manufacturing Plants (http://technology.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474979364961)

RafaelT
May 25, 2011, 10:23 PM
Well greedy unions and overly burdensome permitting processes rule out making them in the US and I highly doubt any other companies in China that are large enough to produce these things are any better when it comes to working conditions.

stockscalper
May 26, 2011, 07:14 AM
Well greedy unions and overly burdensome permitting processes rule out making them in the US and I highly doubt any other companies in China that are large enough to produce these things are any better when it comes to working conditions.

Spoken like a true blood brainwashed Druggy Limbaugh Faux News addicted Retardican.