PDA

View Full Version : Help on iMac G3 333Mhz

macrulezz
May 24, 2011, 09:50 AM
Hi everyone!! I'm new here and I would help from you.

I have one iMac G3 333Mhz since 1998. It never had problem but during 1 or 2 years I won't had turned on. Now, I tried to turn on... The iMac has turned on but the USB ports don't work and I want to install a new OS X.
I can't start with "C" key or with CD-ROM.

Maybe the USB ports had been oxided. Now... how can I fix it to work again?

I was thinking to change the original logic board per one iMac 600 firewire board. It's possible?

Thanks for your help.

I'm sorry about my English, but I try to improve.

imaketouchtheme
May 24, 2011, 09:52 AM
Are you trying to install the OS via USB?

PowerPC Macs do not support booting from USB.

Goftrey
May 24, 2011, 03:51 PM
Are you trying to install the OS via USB?

PowerPC Macs do not support booting from USB.

Yeah, only discs :')

Maybe though, and this might be hard to take, maybe your humble 13 year old iMac has seen it's day...

Or maybe you just need a fresh install of OSX :L

Can I ask what OS you're running at the moment?

stroked
May 24, 2011, 06:45 PM
If you running OS 8 or nine, you will have to update some firmware before you can install OSX. This might be why your having problems installing with your CD drive.

Scarrus
May 24, 2011, 10:06 PM
Guys, he can't start anything anything because he can't use his keyboard because of the malfunctioning USB ports.

Intell
May 24, 2011, 10:34 PM
For future reference PPC Macs can boot from a USB drive. Just the other day my G4 iMac decided to start from it's external clone. Leopard over USB 1.1 isn't very fun. Other PPC Macs I've started via USB include 350Mhz iMac G3, 550Mhz Powerbook G4, and G4 Cube. The bootable USB media just doesn't show up when the computer is started when holding the option/alt key.

eljanitor
May 24, 2011, 11:01 PM
Its time to move on to a newer Mac. It would not be worth the money you would spend on another logic board for that iMac. If you had another logic board lying around, or if someone gave you one for free you could try swapping them out. The 333 - 700 MHz iMac had a few different logic boards that would work with the rest of the machine. I forget what they were, but if you install the wrong board it might not work period because of the location of the heat sink. Also if I remember correctly some of them had some kind of video power board in the upper section that only worked with certain logic boards.

Also here's a great word of warning to you: DO NOT OPEN THE UPPER CRT/ DISPLAY PORTION OF THE COMPUTER UNLESS YOU KNOW HOW TO DISCHARGE THE CRT DISPLAY. THE CRT HAS A FLYBACK TRANSFORMER THAT HOLDS A HIGH VOLTAGE CHARGE FOR WEEKS TO SOMETIMES YEARS. IF THIS IS FULLY CHARGED IT MAY KILL YOU EVEN IF THE COMPUTER IS UNPLUGGED!!!!! DO NOT MESS WITH THAT PORTION OF THE COMPUTER UNLESS YOU HAVE HAD PROPER TRAINING!!!!!!!! See this link: http://www.macopz.com/columns/imacrepair/