Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brooklyn

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
Just read on CNet about Apple’s intention to start the "Made for iPod" logo program. This would certify that the item you are buying has been proven to work with the iPod.

But Apple wants a 10% cut on the sale. Don't you think Apple is getting a little too greedy? This Tax on iPod accessories would only force accessory manufacturers to raise prices?

M. Johansson

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2004
brooklyn said:
Just read on CNet about Apple’s intention to start the "Made for iPod" logo program. This would certify that the item you are buying has been proven to work with the iPod.

But Apple wants a 10% cut on the sale. Don't you think Apple is getting a little too greedy? This Tax on iPod accessories would only force accessory manufacturers to raise prices?

No 10% figure has been confirmed, and I can tell you that there will be no such figure. 10% would be bloody insane, since a lot of consumer electronics only has a single-digit profit margin. If it is pimped on the Apple store, it's a another matter, of course.

bostonwhaler1

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2004
Toronto, Canada
I perhaps don't agree that they should be taking 10% (is this really the number? seems ridiculously high), but I most certainly do agree that a 'Made for iPod' is a good idea in general.

With the ridiculous proliferation of iPod accessories, who's to say that I don't start making some crap adapter in my garage, that perhaps is of such terrible quality that it only works with 50% of iPods and often times sets people's houses on fire. The association with the iPod would bring a bad name to Apple, although they really had nothing to do with the accessory at all.

Presumably the "Made for iPod" tag gives it a "performance guarantee", so you know that if you do plug it in to your dearly beloved iPod, it will work and you won't set your house on fire. Even Apple says so!

I think this is probably moreso the goal of the program, more than it being a cash grab. Brand preservation!

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
I think Apple is making a mistake here. Apple is hurting the 3rd party company and the consumer. This is because the 3rd party company is going to have to charge more and its going to piss off or scare away consumers.

BTW: Does Microsoft do this with their "Plays for Sure"?

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
While I think some kind of "Made for iPod" certification program is a good idea, I think it's a bad idea for Apple to start charging royalties on iPod accessories, as it will drive prices up, and/or drive some manufacturers to get out of the business. Neither scenario is good for Apple or consumers in the long run.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
10% is an absolutely ridiculous number. I can understand why Apple would want to do this "Made for iPod" thing, and perhaps they could even take a small fee, but 10% would be outrageous...

brooklyn

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2003
Now if Apple were going to use a large portion of that 10% share to lower iPod price’s, this (I think) would be more appealing to the accessory makers and the consumer.

The more the iPod is affordable, the bigger the customer population for accessories to be sold to.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Might make a good avatar.

Attachments

• Made4iPod.jpg
    Made4iPod.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 456

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
bostonwhaler1 said:
With the ridiculous proliferation of iPod accessories, who's to say that I don't start making some crap adapter in my garage, that perhaps is of such terrible quality that it only works with 50% of iPods and often times sets people's houses on fire.
And this isn't a joke, either--I've read reviews of a handful of peripherals (usually battery packs and charagers) that are honest-to-goodness fire hazards.

10% does sound steep, but it's not like the Nintendo Seal of Approval--it's just a little badge that some people will be willing to pay the premium for the peace of mind, and others won't care, and will just look for the budget alternative. It's the same reason I didn't need to buy a tape adapter that was specially designed for the iPod for my car--I knew anything with a 1/8" miniplug would work fine. But, if I'd wanted a guarantee of quality, I'd have bought one from the Apple stor for about 50% more.

Everybody wins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.