PDA

View Full Version : 23" ACD, Aluminium, annoying noise help!

tonyeck
Mar 17, 2005, 10:43 AM
Hi guys

I have searched the forums for anyone with a similar problem but cant really find anything too relvant, sorry :(

Anyway, the past couple of days I have been working hard on some uni assignments and every minute or 2 minutes I hear a really high pitched noise coming from the center of the apple display. It lasts for approx 6 seconds each time, and I have no idea whats causing it or why. Its not too loud, but very noticable, even from about 7 meters away...

The monitor is just over five months old and has been fine, despite 2 stuck/dead pixels...

Anyone else heard of such problem? or knows of a thead that has delt with this issue before? or any advice?

Thanks guys

Tony

varmit
Mar 17, 2005, 01:29 PM
Does it happen when a different computer is hooked up to it? Does it do this from a dead start too or only after its been on for quite some time? I would have it looked at, or call up Apple, since it might be shorting out somewhere inside the display.

stevey500
Mar 17, 2005, 06:18 PM
Im thinking it could possibly be the button controllers for the front(or side) like on the iPod... on the ipod(3g) you can hear a high pitch whine kinda noise from the touch. Try checking that the connection to the computer, or if you are using DVI check the power connection well... it could also be something in your tower drawing a lot of power every 2 minutes causing the displays voltage regulators to work hard and make noise... Im just guessing

tonyeck
Mar 18, 2005, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the reply guys

Does it happen when a different computer is hooked up to it? Does it do this from a dead start too or only after its been on for quite some time? I would have it looked at, or call up Apple, since it might be shorting out somewhere inside the display.

It does the same noise when hooked to a 12" powerbook :(

Im thinking it could possibly be the button controllers for the front(or side) like on the iPod... on the ipod(3g) you can hear a high pitch whine kinda noise from the touch. Try checking that the connection to the computer, or if you are using DVI check the power connection well... it could also be something in your tower drawing a lot of power every 2 minutes causing the displays voltage regulators to work hard and make noise... Im just guessing

I thought that... but after testing it with a powerbook, it still does this noise!

Its driving me insane. Gutted. Wish there was an apple store near here

jeremy.king
Mar 18, 2005, 04:27 PM
I had a dog whistle whine on an old sony laptop I had a while back, and I was able to simply fix by reducing the brightness. Can you do that on a 23"?

tonyeck
Mar 18, 2005, 05:35 PM
I tried reducing the brightness and still the noise exists :(

Thanks for the suggestion though