Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saturnk1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2004
Lately I have been experiencing a problem with my Superdrive - it wont read discs or anything! When I try to burn a DVD, I place the blank one in and it spits it out. I put in a music CD and it spits it out. Anyone else have this problem or have a remedy of any kind?

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
saturnk1 said:
Lately I have been experiencing a problem with my Superdrive - it wont read discs or anything! When I try to burn a DVD, I place the blank one in and it spits it out. I put in a music CD and it spits it out. Anyone else have this problem or have a remedy of any kind?
If you have applecare, or a local store, have Apple help you out. Since I'm thinking it could be a dirty or broken drive. Does it also spit out CD-R's? Are you trying a different type of DVD-R and music CD, since some are known to not be compatiable with Macs.

saturnk1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2004
"If you have applecare, or a local store, have Apple help you out. Since I'm thinking it could be a dirty or broken drive. Does it also spit out CD-R's? Are you trying a different type of DVD-R and music CD, since some are known to not be compatiable with Macs."

Yes I have tried several different types of media. The DVD-r's I have been using for awhile now dont work either. I guess I will take it into a store, but they charge $50+ just to diagnose it! Could I clean the drive (lens) myself?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.