PDA

View Full Version : iPad2 Case with Keyboard?

bunger
May 24, 2011, 03:30 PM
I know there are a few currently available and at least one more ( the clamcase ) on the summer horizon, but am curious what the generally accepted "best" solution for a keyboard and case is.

I liked the Brookstone, but apparently it has to be repaired everytime you turn on the iPad... and the clamcase is still a couple of months out.

Thoughts?

TC25
May 24, 2011, 05:39 PM
Thoughts?

Search?

Thread 1 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1141022&highlight=keyboard)
Thread 2 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1142554&highlight=keyboard)
Thread 3 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1128399&highlight=keyboard)
Thread 4 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1124755&highlight=keyboard)

bunger
May 25, 2011, 06:25 AM
I had seen most of those threads, but thanks for the links.

It kinda looks like there is no solid solution available yet....

The zagg is okay, but if you just want to use the iPad you end up with a separate piece just lying there... Which I don't like...

TC25
May 25, 2011, 06:53 AM
It kinda looks like there is no solid solution available yet....

Define 'solid solution'.

bunger
May 25, 2011, 09:29 AM
Define 'solid solution'.

Sorry about that - I probably should have been more specific in my original post.

I am looking for a folio-type keyboard case ( like the brookstone or clamcase ) for the iPad 2. The brookstone would not be a "solid solution" as you have to re-pair the keyboard to the iPad everytime you turn it on and the clamcase isn't yet available.

TC25
May 25, 2011, 09:54 AM
I am looking for a folio-type keyboard case ( like the brookstone or clamcase ) for the iPad 2. The brookstone would not be a "solid solution" as you have to re-pair the keyboard to the iPad everytime you turn it on and the clamcase isn't yet available.

Here's another product that's not quite available yet --> http://adonit.net

As mentioned in the other threads, the only folio that does not use the 'rubbery' keyboard that doesn't have a Shift key on the right side of the keyboard, is the ClamCase. I tried the Kensington, a clone of the Brookstone, and could not stand the feel or the missing Shift key. I had no problem with having to re-pair.

I had a ClamCase for my iPad1 and found it to be too heavy. I understand why it is, the base has to be heavy enough to act as a counterweight to the iPad in the lid, but it's still too heavy, IMO.

Now I use an Apple BT keyboard. I carry it, my iPad2 and the charger in a Waterfield iPad Wallet.

bunger
May 25, 2011, 10:10 AM
Here's another product that's not quite available yet --> http://adonit.net
Now I use an Apple BT keyboard. I carry it, my iPad2 and the charger in a Waterfield iPad Wallet.

Are you happy with this solution, or is it just a "lesser of two evils" kind of thing?

TC25
May 25, 2011, 10:56 AM
Are you happy with this solution, or is it just a "lesser of two evils" kind of thing?

Good question. This search for a solution reminds me of the 'Goldilocks and the Three Bears' fable, except you never find a comfortable bed. :D

My two use cases are; (1) Back and forth to work; (2) Every other situation.

(1) At work I have a separate charger, so I don't have to worry about taking a charger with me. So, a folio case alone would suffice. However, all the keyboard folios use a separate cable to charge the keyboard. Yes, the charge lasts a long time, but you almost have to carry the cable with you at all times and none of the folios offer a convenient way to do this.

(2) The Waterfield bag has room for the charger, the iPad and the keyboard plus a pocket on the outside back for papers, etc. And even loaded, it's very light, no where near like carrying a laptop.

(3) Since the keyboard is separate, if I'm not going to be doing a lot of typing, I just take out the iPad2 (with a SmartCover) and use it as Steve Jobs intended. :)

(4) The Apple BT keyboard uses 2 AA batteries, which are available anywhere.

So, all in all, my current solution works regardless of whether I am headed to work or anywhere else. All I need is an outlet (to charge the iPad) or 2 AA batteries for the keyboard.

If the adonit.net becomes available for the iPad2, I will probably get one for back and forth to work and put it in the Waterfield bag for traveling.

TC25
Jun 10, 2011, 11:27 AM
The Adonit is available for the iPad1 now. They claim it will be available for the iPad2 in July.

h00ligan
Jun 10, 2011, 12:39 PM
you can also look at my recent thread about why I hate the zagg... though my hate has lessened a bit. The bottom line is, it's easy to scratch, you'd think they would have made and applied one of their skins to it to prevent that, and that they would have accounted for those who have skins on their ipad to protect the back. it's also quite tough to get in and out. setup takes too much time to be a 'good' solution, and it dosn't carry enough bottom weight, the ipad is unstable. Add to that the rinky dink plastic stand part and poor keyboard... and then pay $100 for it, pass.

Unfortunately this is why I am trying an asus transformer right now.... which is not as good as an ipad 2 imo... in a year, this device would be hard to beat I think.. but for now.. meh.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Xultar
Jun 10, 2011, 12:52 PM
I totally don't get the need for an external keyboard for the iPad.

It seems to defeat the purpose for me. Except for maybe in the kitchen I can't figure out why you'd need one.

I surely wouldn't want to lug one around because it would seem to me that you'd want a netbook then and netbooks are much cheaper. I have a Lenovo s10 with a sim card reader so I can use my wireless service in it. (I got that before my iPad.) Now I don't even carry my netbook anymore now just my ipad all thin and purrty.

h00ligan
Jun 10, 2011, 01:08 PM
I totally don't get the need for an external keyboard for the iPad.

It seems to defeat the purpose for me. Except for maybe in the kitchen I can't figure out why you'd need one.

I surely wouldn't want to lug one around because it would seem to me that you'd want a netbook then and netbooks are much cheaper. I have a Lenovo s10 with a sim card reader so I can use my wireless service in it. (I got that before my iPad.) Now I don't even carry my netbook anymore now just my ipad all thin and purrty.

It's not always convenient to take multiple devices...but i'm starting to agree with you. I think I will have to add something better than my Dell mini 9 though..even with ssd and max ram..that thing is sooooooo slow....and the keyboard sucks.

bowlerman625
Jun 11, 2011, 12:35 PM
My wife has the Brookstone product for her first gen iPad and just loves it!

h00ligan
Jun 11, 2011, 01:06 PM
I have been on the hunt for a good solution... and so far I haven't found one that fits my needs.

Don't want a leather folio style, too difficult to get in and out of when wanting to just use the device alone
zagg case has a very small and mediocre keyboard, peels the protective skin of the back, is expensive, takes a long time to set up, potentially breaks, also the balance is very bad typing on a bed/couch
logitech keyboard stand - separate pieces that won't work well if trying to type on a soft surface, must be used at a desk
clam case.. for that price, given their shipping issues with gen one, and quality control issues.. they really need more than a 120 day warranty, I don't trust it.

I don't understand why there aren't cases which can mirror the functionality of the asus transformer dock without the dock portion...

bottom part = keyboard and battery
ipad clicks in and out quickly..slide in from the side to lock and charge.. even without the dock charging ability.. there has to be something better coming, every solution so far seems incomplete.

Evancx3
Jun 11, 2011, 01:40 PM
You can check this one out, http://www.wekreat.com/ipad_type_rider.html
Saw it on the iLounge first look page. A different take on folio keyboard case for iPad 2. http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/wekreat-type-rider-for-ipad-2/ I am still waiting for its review.

h00ligan
Jun 11, 2011, 03:34 PM
That looks interesting. I wonder how much effort it takes to get the iPad in/out. Thx for the link!