Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m_lepine

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Recently I backup onto a external LaCie firewire drive and it would no longer mount on startup or manually. System shows drive as having no mounting point. I then remove the drive from case and inserted it into tower making it hardwire. Still has no mounting point. Is there a way to add a mounting point to the drive without re-formatting it? I dont want to lose the data on it. I am running 10.3.8 on a G4 dual 1.

Thank you for any info on this subject.

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
Are you able to run Disk Utility and repair the drive? If not then I supose you could try a different hard drive utility the only thing other than Disk Utility I've used is a program call Drive X, but that was a few years ago. Just don't use Norton. Other than that the only thing I could recomend would be to reformat the drive.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Put the drive back in its case. Unplug it from the Mac.

Shut the Mac down, unplug it from the mains and leave it off for 15mins or so. Plug the drive back into the Mac & start it up.

This solution has been posted here quite a few times recently.

(BTW: This is my chief hatred about Panther, this FW bug. You think they could have ironed it out by now. :mad: )

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
Blue Velvet said:
(BTW: This is my chief hatred about Panther, this FW bug. You think they could have ironed it out by now. :mad: )

well, Apple is killing firewire anyway :mad: so they don't care! about this fw bug. curse them Apple.

anyway. i will try this tip, thanks blue velvet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.