PDA

View Full Version : Password protect as soon as app is installed - Ipad

ashwinr87
May 25, 2011, 10:06 AM
Hi,

In my app, I would be dealing with information which may be sensitive to the user. I would like to know if there is any way where once my app is installed on the ipad, it would set a password protect for the ipad so that no one else using the ipad would be able to access the user's information

robbieduncan
May 25, 2011, 10:22 AM
Your application cannot alter global settings like whether there is a passcode lock on the device. If your data is that sensitive encrypt it yourself and provide your own application-level login.

ashwinr87
May 25, 2011, 10:29 AM
thanks for the reply.. I have already done both of them but there is the client requirement for the lock.. cant I do something with the keychain?

Your application cannot alter global settings like whether there is a passcode lock on the device. If your data is that sensitive encrypt it yourself and provide your own application-level login.

robbieduncan
May 25, 2011, 10:36 AM
thanks for the reply.. I have already done both of them but there is the client requirement for the lock.. cant I do something with the keychain?

If you mean the overall device lock to bring it out of suspend mode then no: this has nothing to do with the keychain at all and is 100% in the control of the user.

If this is an enterprise application where the devices are all known/company managed then the company should be able to enforce this policy by pushing profiles created with the configuration utility (downloadable from Apple). You can ready about the sort of security policies possible in the iPad Security Document (http://images.apple.com/ipad/business/docs/iPad_Security.pdf).

If this is a more general app that anyone can download from the app store then there is no way to enforce that the device has any for of locking enabled.

ashwinr87
May 25, 2011, 10:42 AM
the app is an enterprise application and will not be available on the app store.. we would just install the app in a few ipads of the company...
I will look at the documentation you provided and see if I can make sense of it...

If you mean the overall device lock to bring it out of suspend mode then no: this has nothing to do with the keychain at all and is 100% in the control of the user.

If this is an enterprise application where the devices are all known/company managed then the company should be able to enforce this policy by pushing profiles created with the configuration utility (downloadable from Apple). You can ready about the sort of security policies possible in the iPad Security Document (http://images.apple.com/ipad/business/docs/iPad_Security.pdf).

If this is a more general app that anyone can download from the app store then there is no way to enforce that the device has any for of locking enabled.

robbieduncan
May 25, 2011, 10:46 AM
the app is an enterprise application and will not be available on the app store.. we would just install the app in a few ipads of the company...
I will look at the documentation you provided and see if I can make sense of it...

More is available here (http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/enterprise/) including download links for the configuration utility to create the profiles.