Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

passingsmiles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2011
Brooklyn
I'm new here - just got my iPad 2 in the mail two days ago. Using it for a couple of days has revealed my priorities in a case, and I was hoping some of you well-informed people would have recommendations. I've read a lot of threads about particular cases, but many don't mention the things I consider important. I'm not as concerned with protection as with functionality and unobtrusiveness. I've considered the Smart Cover and really like its convertability, but buying that plus a back cover seems to run pretty expensive.

I'd definitely like a case with softer edges. It hurts my hands to hold the sharp metal edges, so I'm not really looking for a hard plastic shell. Some grippiness to the texture would be a plus, but not essential. Are there any inexpensive TPU/silicone shells that work well with the Smart Cover? I like the look of the Joy Factory SmartGrip, but $30 seems like a lot when paired with the $40 Smart Cover. Also really intrigued by the Quirky Fender, but it's still in presale and...I'm impatient. :rolleyes:

Alternatively, are there any good one-piece cases (with soft edges) that basically mirror the Smart Cover + a back cover? Not really interested in folio types unless the cover folds a la Smart Cover.

Thanks for your help!

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I'm new here - just got my iPad 2 in the mail two days ago. Using it for a couple of days has revealed my priorities in a case, and I was hoping some of you well-informed people would have recommendations. I've read a lot of threads about particular cases, but many don't mention the things I consider important. I'm not as concerned with protection as with functionality and unobtrusiveness. I've considered the Smart Cover and really like its convertability, but buying that plus a back cover seems to run pretty expensive.

I'd definitely like a case with softer edges. It hurts my hands to hold the sharp metal edges, so I'm not really looking for a hard plastic shell. Some grippiness to the texture would be a plus, but not essential. Are there any inexpensive TPU/silicone shells that work well with the Smart Cover? I like the look of the Joy Factory SmartGrip, but $30 seems like a lot when paired with the $40 Smart Cover. Also really intrigued by the Quirky Fender, but it's still in presale and...I'm impatient. :rolleyes:

Alternatively, are there any good one-piece cases (with soft edges) that basically mirror the Smart Cover + a back cover? Not really interested in folio types unless the cover folds a la Smart Cover.

Thanks for your help!

You should check out the STM Skinny. There's a thread in here on it and you will find that most people, myself included, are very pleased with the case. I tried a smart cover and found it to be very much a gimmick. It offers little protection, comes off easily and is overpriced. The STM Skinn can be found for less than $40. I highly recommend it.

redzapper

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
I have the smartcover/TPU back case combo.

Bought the TPU case off ebay for $10 and it looks great and is a perfect fit.

Hellokittyutah

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2011
I think you should consider the STM Skinny, I paid 30 for it and it has been the only case I have kept ( I have bought like 5) I really , really like it!

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
As an iPad 1 and iPad 2 owner, I have tried numerous combinations. Currently, my iPad 2 is in a Targus 360 (perfect for versatility...landscape or portrait modes) and I carry it in a Timbuk2 Freestyle XS messenger bag.

This could change though as I'm always looking for the next best thing, but right now, this combo suits my purposes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.