PDA

View Full Version : Xserve G5 Cluster Node Video Card

gregjsmith
May 25, 2011, 04:21 PM
I acquired a Xserve G5 Cluster Node. I need a video card for it and could use some recommendations.

SuperJudge
May 25, 2011, 07:00 PM
What slots does it have? I seem to remember a lack of an AGP video card slot on those, but I could be mistaken. I do know for a fact from having set up a small cluster of those, that they were designed to run headless with a full-on Xserve as its master. I don't know how well it will without a master.

gregjsmith
May 25, 2011, 11:34 PM
It's supposed to be a node to be controlled by a host computer, but it can be used as a host. Just not as good as a host becasue it's missing the hard drives and the video card.

It has two PCI-X slots. Apple says it will take a third party video card but it's been so long since I had a desktop system I'm not sure what to look for.

sysiphus
May 26, 2011, 01:27 AM
PCI-X is just extra-fast PCI, and is backwards compatible, unlike PCI-Express. As such, you should be able to put any number of Mac video cards in, so long as they're PCI. (EG Radeon 9200, 7500, etc). AFAIK the best one is the Radeon 9200 PC/Mac edition (one card works on both systems; it shouldn't be to costly/hard to find). If all you need to do is drive a display for simple 2D stuff though, an old 7500 etc will be fine though.

666sheep
May 26, 2011, 02:17 AM
Theoretically you can even flash FX5200 PCI and your server will get hardware Core Image support. Any Mac (or flashed) PCI card should work, even ATI Rage. It all depend on card's dimensions. I must fit in designed space.