PDA

View Full Version : Apple Considering Samsung OLED Displays for Next-Generation iPad?

MacRumors
May 26, 2011, 10:28 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/26/apple-considering-samsung-oled-displays-for-next-generation-ipad/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/ipad_2_oblique.jpg

Talk of Apple turning to OLED displays for its mobile devices has arisen repeatedly for many years now, and those rumors have received another update (http://www.asianewsnet.net/home/news.php?id=19099) with a claim from The Korea Herald (via Macworld UK (http://www.macworld.co.uk/business/news/index.cfm?newsid=3282274)) that Apple Chief Operating Office Tim Cook recently visited South Korea to discuss the possibility of adopting an active matrix OLED (AMOLED) display from Samsung for the next-generation iPad, a device the report claims could be released before the end of the year.Apple Inc's chief operating officer Tim Cook discussed adopting Samsung's AMOLED display technology for tablet PCs during his recent visit to South Korea, industry sources said.

"Apple wants to tap into Samsung's AMOLED technology for an upgraded version of the iPad2, considered as many as the iPad3 that is likely to be launched toward the end of this year," a source told The Korea Herald on Wednesday (May 25) on condition of anonymity.Samsung is already one of Apple's primary suppliers (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/14/apple-set-to-become-samsungs-biggest-customer-with-7-8-billion-in-contracts/) for its mobile devices, although the two companies are currently embroiled in a legal dispute (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/18/apple-targets-samsung-with-new-lawsuit-over-galaxy-line/) begun when Apple filed suit against Samsung for allegedly copying Apple's technology and designs with its "Galaxy" line of smartphones and tablets.

But while the latest report claims that Apple is looking to Samsung for AMOLED technology, a previous report (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/12/apple-considering-samsung-super-pls-display-for-future-ipad/) from a different Korean publication claimed that Apple was interested in the company's "Super PLS" technology for more traditional LCDs in the next iPad.

Article Link: Apple Considering Samsung OLED Displays for Next-Generation iPad? (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/26/apple-considering-samsung-oled-displays-for-next-generation-ipad/)

shartypants
May 26, 2011, 10:36 AM
I just hope whatever display they choose that it doesn't have the same problem the current iPad2 display has with lighted edges (that I'm seeing on mine, not a biggie, but seems odd in these times).

jonnysods
Please let it be true!

Full of Win
I hope they don't use this as a way to gyp us out the 2X increase in resolution many of us want.

NoNothing
May 26, 2011, 10:37 AM
Only if:

1) No Pentile. Pentile is a bastardization and looks horrid for text and high contrast boundaries.

2) Does not look any worse in high light conditions.

NewYorkRanger
May 26, 2011, 10:37 AM
Why would Apple release a new iPad this year when the current unit is still selling so well? It's almost June and they are still hard to find. The competition, while eating into market share, shouldn't be that huge of a concern at this point since Apple has such a huge lead when it comes to consumer confidence and desire.

I'd wait until at least Q1 2012, why cannibalize sales of the iPad 2 so early? There is this huge misconception that people will not buy iPad 2's as x-mas gifts, I just don't see that holding true.

chasemay
May 26, 2011, 10:39 AM
I just hope whatever display they choose that it doesn't have the same problem the current iPad2 display has with lighted edges (that I'm seeing on mine, not a biggie, but seems odd in these times).

Ditto. I've noticed the same problem on my white iPad 2 (don't know if color has any effect on this or not; I know light escaping from the white iPhone was rumored to be one cause of its delay).

toddybody
May 26, 2011, 10:42 AM
What does this imply regarding Samsungs recent 10.1 300+DPI LED displays?

AMOLED is fantastic, but id still rather have the 4x pixels. Lets hope to have our cake and eat it too:p

toddybody
May 26, 2011, 10:44 AM
Ditto. I've noticed the same problem on my white iPad 2 (don't know if color has any effect on this or not; I know light escaping from the white iPhone was rumored to be one cause of its delay).

Hey Pal, The light bleed really doesnt have anything to do with the bezel color...its the panel itself. That said, Im on my 3rd iPad 2...this one is free from the bleed. Stay well yo!

Satori
May 26, 2011, 10:45 AM
Could be a little way off if Apple do decide to go with AMOLED screens as the production capacity is reportedly still low (so much so that HTC have switched to Sony SLCDs for some of their phones). Samsung are ramping up production this year but will this be quick enough for a new iPad release in Sept?

drumrobot
May 26, 2011, 10:45 AM
This rumor is incredibly old... the iPhone 4, the iPad, and the iPad 2 were all going to have OLED displays.

tekmoe
May 26, 2011, 10:46 AM
Apple to Samsung - "Your products are too similar to ours. We are going to sue you."

Apple to Samsung - "Oh, BTW, we like your displays and would like to use them."

:rolleyes:

*LTD*
May 26, 2011, 10:47 AM
Apple to Samsung - "Your products are too similar to ours. We are going to sue you."

Completely different businesses.

Corporations take things a lot less personally than people. Samsung makes a lot of money as a supplier.

ThunderSkunk
May 26, 2011, 10:51 AM
Didn't they just invest something like a billion dollars in their previous suppliers tech?

Curious.

Mess
May 26, 2011, 10:52 AM
so iPad3 in September with retina AMOLED screen? :cool:

We can hope :D

hcho3
May 26, 2011, 10:54 AM
I still think retina display is too expensive for 499 dollars tablet...

The resolution will be beyond 1080P on 9.7 inch screen. That's higher than our 17 inch MBP. Increase all of our notebook resolutions, then.

Dr McKay
May 26, 2011, 10:56 AM
A natural step if they want to continue their "Thinner and Lighter!" obsession they have going right now.

gnasher729
May 26, 2011, 10:57 AM

Apple to itself: "We are in court with Samsung right now, but they are making these excellent displays. Should we buy them or not? " Answer: "Of course we buy them, as long as they are good and at the right price and quantity."

Samsung to itself: "We are in court with Apple right now, but they are offering us tons of money for our displays. Should we sell them or not? " Answer: "Of course we sell them, as long as we make a good profit doing so. "

sciwizam
May 26, 2011, 10:58 AM
Only if:

1) No Pentile. Pentile is a bastardization and looks horrid for text and high contrast boundaries.

2) Does not look any worse in high light conditions.

Time to update some old information regarding AMOLED's and Pentile sub-pixels.

The display in the new Samsung Galaxy S2 is Super AMOLED+. The "+" part refers to the true RGB sub-pixel arrangement, not the RGBG pentile arrangement they used in the original Galaxy S.

http://www.oled-info.com/super-amoled-plus-resolution-explained

http://www.oled-info.com/files/images/amoled-vs-super-amoled-plus.jpg

RalfTheDog
May 26, 2011, 11:02 AM
I hope they don't use this as a way to gyp us out the 2X increase in resolution many of us want.

I am not saying it will never happen, but it is far too soon. The cost for the screen would probably be in the thousands if not more, and the number of units produced would be far less than Apple needs.

RE: OLED

I have never been a big fan of OLED, however, I don't think the usual problems with burn in would be that big of a deal. Most people will upgrade their iPad before the screen gets too bad. That is not to say, I would not prefer a high quality LCD over OLED.

Consultant
May 26, 2011, 11:04 AM
As mentioned already, iPad 2 is selling like hotcakes. Unlikely to be a new one this year.

Also, OLED also can't be produced at a quantity large enough for Apple products the last time I checked.

Mattie Num Nums
May 26, 2011, 11:18 AM
All the Samsung hate is gone all of the sudden. Figures.

juicedropsdeuce
May 26, 2011, 11:19 AM
As mentioned already, iPad 2 is selling like hotcakes. Unlikely to be a new one this year.

Also, OLED also can't be produced at a quantity large enough for Apple products the last time I checked.

Last time you checked what? MacRumors and MacDailyNews? LOL :rolleyes:

Ted13
May 26, 2011, 11:29 AM
No! No! No!

The biggest problem with the otherwise excellent current iPad display is how badly it performs in sunlight. The LAST thing we need is a switch to AMOLED -- those things are practically invisible in sunlight -- they make Apple's IPS LEDs look like eInk when it come to sunlight performance.

gorjan
May 26, 2011, 11:31 AM

The display in the new Samsung Galaxy S2 is Super AMOLED+. The "+" part refers to the true RGB sub-pixel arrangement, not the RGBG pentile arrangement they used in the original Galaxy S.

Image (http://www.oled-info.com/files/images/amoled-vs-super-amoled-plus.jpg)

Only problem being display burn-in, welcome to back to the 90-ties! I had a Samsung Galaxy S with Super AMOLED and the status bar burned in after a month of use or so. Don't get me wrong, the display had great, vivid colors, but at the price of display burn-in. (also in my eyes, the display wasn't any better than the iPhone 4's)

beebler
May 26, 2011, 11:32 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

Why would Apple release a new iPad this year when the current unit is still selling so well? It's almost June and they are still hard to find. The competition, while eating into market share, shouldn't be that huge of a concern at this point since Apple has such a huge lead when it comes to consumer confidence and desire.

I'd wait until at least Q1 2012, why cannibalize sales of the iPad 2 so early? There is this huge misconception that people will not buy iPad 2's as x-mas gifts, I just don't see that holding true.

I don't know either but my friend in Apple R&D said there were internal talks about releasing the iPad 3 alongside the next iPhone in September. I'd think waiting would be best too.

paintblock
May 26, 2011, 11:45 AM

Apple: We're going to use your parts to make awesome stuff.

Samsung: Well if we're making the parts we might as well make the same awesome stuff, too.

Apple: ...You can't do that.

gkarris
May 26, 2011, 11:48 AM
ANYTHING that fixes the backlight bleed problem... :eek:

Bubba Satori
May 26, 2011, 11:49 AM
Apple: We're going to use your parts to make awesome stuff.

Samsung: Well if we're making the parts we might as well make some awesome stuff, too.

Apple: ...You can't do that.

Yep.

paintblock
No! No! No!

The biggest problem with the otherwise excellent current iPad display is how badly it performs in sunlight. The LAST thing we need is a switch to AMOLED -- those things are practically invisible in sunlight -- they make Apple's IPS LEDs look like eInk when it come to sunlight performance.

What the heck are you talking about? My fiancé has a Samsung Focus Win7 phone, and I swear it's the only phone you can see without squinting and cupping your hand beneath the blazingly bright Arizona desert sun. It performs so incredibly beautifully in direct sunlight it's not even funny. Super AMOLED all the way.

reallynotnick
Personally I would love to see them go Super PLS as I love IPS right now, OLED is making great advancements but I just don't see it being ideal for at least another year or two.

GlenL
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

I don't know either but my friend in Apple R&D said there were internal talks about releasing the iPad 3 alongside the next iPhone in September. I'd think waiting would be best too.

That doesn't sound right. I wouldn't release 2 new products at once. You gotta space apart sucking people dry.

usptact
May 26, 2011, 11:51 AM
I find it amusing : they filed law suits against each other but still sell/buy products and components from each other...

gatearray
May 26, 2011, 11:55 AM

I heard that those internal talks took place on April 1st of this year.

:)

Never. Gonna. Happen.

Ted13
May 26, 2011, 11:59 AM
What the heck are you talking about? My fiancé has a Samsung Focus Win7 phone, and I swear it's the only phone you can see without squinting and cupping your hand beneath the blazingly bright Arizona desert sun. It performs so incredibly beautifully in direct sunlight it's not even funny. Super AMOLED all the way.
Every AMOLED display I've seen looks absolutely horrible compared to an iPhone in sunlight. I've never seen a Windows Phone 7 in the wild, but I hardly think the OS will make its AMOLED screen look any better in sunlight than AMOLED Androids do.

juicedropsdeuce
May 26, 2011, 12:02 PM
Every AMOLED display I've seen looks absolutely horrible compared to an iPhone in sunlight. I've never seen a Windows Phone 7 in the wild, but I hardly think the OS will make its AMOLED screen look any better in sunlight than AMOLED Androids do.

False.

Piggie
May 26, 2011, 12:06 PM
No one seems to have considered that Apple could just switch to the new AMOLED screen with the same res as the current iPad2, and do no other changes.

They are quite within their right to change a component for another that does the same job.

paintblock

Maybe you were looking at older AMOLEDs? The one on the Samsung Focus is a "Super AMOLED" and they have a "Super AMOLED+" now too. Care to post which AMOLED phone screens you were looking at / comparing? There's a chance that we could both be right. Otherwise one of us is just mysteriously blinded by something.

Thunderhawks

Richard, Thomas and Harrison don't follow MacRumors or for that matter anything computer related. They will get an ipad whatever version as a gift or buy it because they have heard about it from somebody, seen it or seen advertising.

Which version with which features and what would be better escapes them.

If they get an ipad2 on December 24 and ipad 3 comes out December 25, they would not know or care!

maclaptop
May 26, 2011, 12:08 PM
I just got my new Samsung Galaxy S II. It has the display Apple finds so beautiful.

After having a Galaxy S, my first hand experience reveals a big step forward in displays. The S had a Super AMOLED display, my S II has the Super AMOLED PLUS display. Sitting side by side with my nice iPhone 4, I believe these two have displays that are a near mirror image of each other.

Earlier in this thread someone claimed burn in was noticed after a month. This is wrong. I've been using that same model he /she mentioned, for just over one year with stellar results.

To the issue at hand. When I arrive home at the end of the day and pickup my iPad 2, it looks dull, washed out and a bit fuzzy. Apple realizes the Samsung display would fix this shortcoming.

This superiority that Samsung demonstrates, illustrates why I believe Apple was very wrong to sue the company that makes Apple products the success they are.

Just goes to show that common sense is lacking at Apple.

Ted13
May 26, 2011, 12:08 PM
False.

What are you telling me that I shouldn't believe my eyes?

Fine, don't believe me, believe some professional reviewers:
Screen Comparison Shows LCD Still Beats Super AMOLED In Sunlight (http://gizmodo.com/5568760/screen-comparison-shows-lcd-still-beats-super-amoled-in-sunlight)

sciwizam
May 26, 2011, 12:14 PM

Screen Comparison Shows LCD Still Beats Super AMOLED In Sunlight (http://gizmodo.com/5568760/screen-comparison-shows-lcd-still-beats-super-amoled-in-sunlight)

That was the Super AMOLED from last year's phones. This year, Samsung improved it's display, Super AMOLED+ in Galaxy S2.

chrmjenkins
May 26, 2011, 12:14 PM
Samsung doesn't have production of iPad sized displays, much less a demonstrated capability of the volume the iPad needs.

I would expect AMOLED on the iPhone before the iPad.

paintblock
May 26, 2011, 12:15 PM
Richard, Thomas and Harrison don't follow MacRumors or for that matter anything computer related. They will get an ipad whatever version as a gift or buy it because they have heard about it from somebody, seen it or seen advertising.

Which version with which features and what would be better escapes them.

If they get an ipad2 on December 24 and ipad 3 comes out December 25, they would not know or care!

Do they not put a comma in front of the last item in a list in your country? It's really bothering me. It made me read that as if you were addressing someone named Richard about Thomas and Harrison. So I was wondering how you knew that guys name for the entire rest of your post. I noticed you have the same problem in your otherwise classy Ben Franklin quote. It's this, this, and that.

Not that I'm criticizing, condemning, or complaining.

Laird Knox
May 26, 2011, 12:20 PM

Considering AMOLED doesn't have a back light that probably wouldn't be an issue. ;)

paintblock
May 26, 2011, 12:27 PM

LOL the comments on that article were saying exactly what I was thinking. That Super AMOLED looks more readable than the LCD in the pictures and in that video (and probably IRL). I don't know what that reviewer was on, but clearly Kat has her eyes up her butt.

Yes, I did laugh audibly.

Edit: Also the OS can make a difference in direct sunlight readability. Those giant tiles in Win7 are super easy to see and read compared to tiny icons and text.

Ted13
May 26, 2011, 12:59 PM
Edit: Also the OS can make a difference in direct sunlight readability. Those giant tiles in Win7 are super easy to see and read compared to tiny icons and text.
I readily believe that, but guess what: text is exactly what I want to be able to read in sunlight -- my iPad is my book, newspaper and magazine reader. Turning books into giant tiles isn't an option. I don't spend my time staring at the home screen...

You are telling me the Super + AMOLED stuff is better -- fine, I'll believe it when I see it. I guess none of my Android toting colleagues have one. Meanwhile I wouldn't be shocked if IPS LED tech is improving as well.

NoNothing
May 26, 2011, 01:32 PM

Image (http://www.oled-info.com/files/images/amoled-vs-super-amoled-plus.jpg)

None of that means that Pentile is dead or would not be used as a cost savings measure on larger displays.

So the information is current. Pentile bites and the vast majority of OLED screens are Pentile based and they are simply horrid.

ciTiger
May 26, 2011, 01:35 PM
Oh yeah! This would be very very nice... Is this a retina display?

tekmoe
May 26, 2011, 01:37 PM
Completely different businesses.

Corporations take things a lot less personally than people. Samsung makes a lot of money as a supplier.

Maybe so but morals are morals. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. Apple is wrong for suing Samsung.

I wish Google would release their own OS that competes with Apple's OSX. I'm ready to jump ship. Apple is a totally different company compared to when I first started using Macs many, many years ago.

paintblock
May 26, 2011, 01:40 PM
Maybe so but morals are morals. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. Apple is wrong for suing Samsung.

I can't wait for Google to release their Chrome OS. I'm ready to jump ship. Apple is a totally different company compared to when I first started using Macs many, many years ago.

Why are you applying morals to soulless immortal corporations? They usually don't.

tekmoe
May 26, 2011, 01:41 PM
Why are you applying morals to soulless immortal corporations? They usually don't.

So sad but so true.

swagi
May 26, 2011, 01:55 PM

I wish Google would release their own OS that competes with Apple's OSX. I'm ready to jump ship. Apple is a totally different company compared to when I first started using Macs many, many years ago.

Funny enough I just had a "Chromebook" ad at the bottom of the page. The ad says they'll be available in 2 weeks for preorder. :D

JarScott
May 26, 2011, 04:45 PM
WHAT?! The OLED display is the biggest piece of rubbish EVER! I used to own a Samsung Galaxy S and you could see EVERY SINGLE LAST PIXEL. It looked HORRIBLE. Please, Apple! Just create a larger version of your own, amazing, Retina display! OLED = CRAP!

dba7dba
May 26, 2011, 04:54 PM
WHAT?! The OLED display is the biggest piece of rubbish EVER! I used to own a Samsung Galaxy S and you could see EVERY SINGLE LAST PIXEL. It looked HORRIBLE. Please, Apple! Just create a larger version of your own, amazing, Retina display! OLED = CRAP!

Super AMOLED+ in Galaxy S2 is NOT same as OLED in Galaxy S.

Btw, what touch choices apple has. Do we fork over a few billion to samsung in advance so that they will build a factory to churn out our chips/screens or do we take a chance with other vendors?

lilo777
May 26, 2011, 05:09 PM

Apple does not have its own displays (or LCD panels). They simply do not produce them. They buy them either from Samsung or LG or someone else.

As others mentioned, newer versions of SAMOLED+ panels fixed the issue that previous panels (pentile matrix) had. Even those Samsung Galaxy S displays were actually considered on par with iPhone 4 panel. Yes, they have lower resolution (a little) but they have real black colors and contrast ratio that is order of magnitude better than IPS panels have. As a result, for video and games OLED panels provide superior picture quality.

Not to mention the fact that because OLED panels do not require backlight they:
a) never have backlit problems that are plaguing iPad 2
b) they are thinner than conventional LCD panels (which is how Samsung managed to make Galaxy S2 to be thinner than iPhone 4 event without using non-replaceable battery.

Wild-Bill
May 26, 2011, 05:37 PM
Let's hope an OLED iPad comes with the backlight bleeding for no additional charge!!! ;)

jouster
May 26, 2011, 06:20 PM

Indeed. For companies that compete in the same space and are the size of Apple and Samsung, it's absolutely standard practice to be in a complex web of litigation.

And the Samsung "hand" does not "feed" Apple. What it does is sell them tremendous amounts of product for colossal sums of money.

KnightWRX
May 26, 2011, 06:51 PM

You do realise pixel size has nothing to do with whether a panel is a LCD or OLED display right ? :rolleyes:

maclaptop
May 26, 2011, 07:51 PM
Apple is a totally different company compared to when I first started using Macs many, many years ago.

I agree with you completely.

Sadly, they're no longer a well balanced company with both the customer and profits in mind. Those two can indeed coexist quite nicely as many fortune 500 companies have proven.

Cheers :)

kiljoy616
May 26, 2011, 07:57 PM
About time, been waiting for this for some time. Like to see it also on the iphone 5

johndallas999
May 26, 2011, 08:50 PM
Now this would be an iPad I would consider buying. Current screen resolution on the iPad is sub par to say the least.

paintblock
May 26, 2011, 09:46 PM
You do realise pixel size has nothing to do with whether a panel is a LCD or OLED display right ? :rolleyes:

Now this would be an iPad I would consider buying. Current screen resolution on the iPad is sub par to say the least.

Come on guys, use your heads.

Supa_Fly
May 27, 2011, 12:16 AM
Super AMOLED+ in Galaxy S2 is NOT same as OLED in Galaxy S.

Btw, what touch choices apple has. Do we fork over a few billion to samsung in advance so that they will build a factory to churn out our chips/screens or do we take a chance with other vendors?

With whom?
Sony
Samsung
LG
Sharp are the only alternatives amongst the LCD page and only Sony & LG produce AMOLED vs Samsung - Samsung is THE LARGEST producer of AMOLED by a Long shot … probably the only one to be able to produce AMOLED 9.7" screens in the 3-4 Billion/quarter.

Dr McKay
May 27, 2011, 12:37 AM

They have announced the Chromebooks if you are interested.

http://news.accuracast.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/chromebooks.gif

caspersoong
May 27, 2011, 08:10 AM
This would reduce sales near the equator IMO.

Lennholm
May 27, 2011, 08:42 AM
Let's hope an OLED iPad comes with the backlight bleeding for no additional charge!!! ;)

Mentioning OLED and backlight in the same sentence... clueless

Nyalotha
May 27, 2011, 09:01 AM
Do they not put a comma in front of the last item in a list in your country? It's really bothering me. It made me read that as if you were addressing someone named Richard about Thomas and Harrison. So I was wondering how you knew that guys name for the entire rest of your post. I noticed you have the same problem in your otherwise classy Ben Franklin quote. It's this, this, and that.

Not that I'm criticizing, condemning, or complaining.

In proper English both are now accepted. They taught my class that in roughly grade 9-10 which would've been 2003-2004~ and warned us, 'your parents will disagree with this.'

But proper english (as in I have no clue if American English adopted it aswell) is now This, this, this and that. Canadian here, btw.

RogueWarrior65
May 27, 2011, 09:05 AM
I just bought an iPad2, dammit! And quite frankly, lack of a sunlight readable display is the one thing that keeps me from using it more.

NewYorkRanger
May 27, 2011, 09:44 AM
I just bought an iPad2, dammit! And quite frankly, lack of a sunlight readable display is the one thing that keeps me from using it more.
Return it.

Stop whining about "just" buying a new product that just came out 2 months ago - we all did.

ph00ny
May 28, 2011, 10:26 PM
Some of the posts in this thread made me chuckle

Retina display is supplied by LG
Samsung hasn't shown anything outside of oled TVs with high resolution
These panels can't have backlight bleed found in ipad2
Samsung does not have the capacity to produce all of their current flagship products with samoled+ in every market

ped
May 30, 2011, 11:16 AM

You're on something (and not just because of the all CAPS posting).

My daugh†er has the AT&T version of the Galaxy S (Captivate) and that screen is amazingly awesome. So awesome, in fact, I'm having a difficult time believing that the Galaxy S2 Super AMOLED+ is better.

ped
May 30, 2011, 11:17 AM

and just since it seemed you didn't know Apple doesn't create ANY display.

ph00ny
May 30, 2011, 11:29 AM
You're on something (and not just because of the all CAPS posting).

My daugh†er has the AT&T version of the Galaxy S (Captivate) and that screen is amazingly awesome. So awesome, in fact, I'm having a difficult time believing that the Galaxy S2 Super AMOLED+ is better.

Even with a bigger screen and same resolution, everything is more crisp on the samoled+ due to the pentile subpixel arrangement (2 per pixel) vs RGB subpixel arrangement (3 per pixel)

Also they have a new manufacturing method using lasers that is supposed to allow them to achieve higher resolution in the near future

ped
Jun 1, 2011, 09:29 PM
Even with a bigger screen and same resolution, everything is more crisp on the samoled+ due to the pentile subpixel arrangement (2 per pixel) vs RGB subpixel arrangement (3 per pixel)

Also they have a new manufacturing method using lasers that is supposed to allow them to achieve higher resolution in the near future

Yes, that laser method is kown by the acronym LITI