Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ipad_2_oblique.jpg

Talk of Apple turning to OLED displays for its mobile devices has arisen repeatedly for many years now, and those rumors have received another update with a claim from The Korea Herald (via Macworld UK) that Apple Chief Operating Office Tim Cook recently visited South Korea to discuss the possibility of adopting an active matrix OLED (AMOLED) display from Samsung for the next-generation iPad, a device the report claims could be released before the end of the year.
Apple Inc's chief operating officer Tim Cook discussed adopting Samsung's AMOLED display technology for tablet PCs during his recent visit to South Korea, industry sources said.

"Apple wants to tap into Samsung's AMOLED technology for an upgraded version of the iPad2, considered as many as the iPad3 that is likely to be launched toward the end of this year," a source told The Korea Herald on Wednesday (May 25) on condition of anonymity.
Samsung is already one of Apple's primary suppliers for its mobile devices, although the two companies are currently embroiled in a legal dispute begun when Apple filed suit against Samsung for allegedly copying Apple's technology and designs with its "Galaxy" line of smartphones and tablets.

But while the latest report claims that Apple is looking to Samsung for AMOLED technology, a previous report from a different Korean publication claimed that Apple was interested in the company's "Super PLS" technology for more traditional LCDs in the next iPad.

Article Link: Apple Considering Samsung OLED Displays for Next-Generation iPad?

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
I just hope whatever display they choose that it doesn't have the same problem the current iPad2 display has with lighted edges (that I'm seeing on mine, not a biggie, but seems odd in these times).

NoNothing

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2003
AOLED is OK if they get some things worked out.

Only if:

1) No Pentile. Pentile is a bastardization and looks horrid for text and high contrast boundaries.

2) Does not look any worse in high light conditions.

NewYorkRanger

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2010
Why would Apple release a new iPad this year when the current unit is still selling so well? It's almost June and they are still hard to find. The competition, while eating into market share, shouldn't be that huge of a concern at this point since Apple has such a huge lead when it comes to consumer confidence and desire.

I'd wait until at least Q1 2012, why cannibalize sales of the iPad 2 so early? There is this huge misconception that people will not buy iPad 2's as x-mas gifts, I just don't see that holding true.

chasemay

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2010
I just hope whatever display they choose that it doesn't have the same problem the current iPad2 display has with lighted edges (that I'm seeing on mine, not a biggie, but seems odd in these times).

Ditto. I've noticed the same problem on my white iPad 2 (don't know if color has any effect on this or not; I know light escaping from the white iPhone was rumored to be one cause of its delay).

jboy12

macrumors member
May 9, 2011
Wow this is surprising I thought they would go with a ratina display x2. Oh well I can't wait until it gets released so the apple nuts can say samsung copied apples oled screen

Ditto. I've noticed the same problem on my white iPad 2 (don't know if color has any effect on this or not; I know light escaping from the white iPhone was rumored to be one cause of its delay).

Hey Pal, The light bleed really doesnt have anything to do with the bezel color...its the panel itself. That said, Im on my 3rd iPad 2...this one is free from the bleed. Stay well yo!

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
Could be a little way off if Apple do decide to go with AMOLED screens as the production capacity is reportedly still low (so much so that HTC have switched to Sony SLCDs for some of their phones). Samsung are ramping up production this year but will this be quick enough for a new iPad release in Sept?

drumrobot

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2009
This rumor is incredibly old... the iPhone 4, the iPad, and the iPad 2 were all going to have OLED displays.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Apple to Samsung - "Your products are too similar to ours. We are going to sue you."

Apple to Samsung - "Oh, BTW, we like your displays and would like to use them."

:rolleyes:

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Apple to Samsung - "Your products are too similar to ours. We are going to sue you."

Completely different businesses.

Corporations take things a lot less personally than people. Samsung makes a lot of money as a supplier.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
I still think retina display is too expensive for 499 dollars tablet...

The resolution will be beyond 1080P on 9.7 inch screen. That's higher than our 17 inch MBP. Increase all of our notebook resolutions, then.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Apple to itself: "We are in court with Samsung right now, but they are making these excellent displays. Should we buy them or not? " Answer: "Of course we buy them, as long as they are good and at the right price and quantity."

Samsung to itself: "We are in court with Apple right now, but they are offering us tons of money for our displays. Should we sell them or not? " Answer: "Of course we sell them, as long as we make a good profit doing so. "

sciwizam

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010
Only if:

1) No Pentile. Pentile is a bastardization and looks horrid for text and high contrast boundaries.

2) Does not look any worse in high light conditions.

Time to update some old information regarding AMOLED's and Pentile sub-pixels.

The display in the new Samsung Galaxy S2 is Super AMOLED+. The "+" part refers to the true RGB sub-pixel arrangement, not the RGBG pentile arrangement they used in the original Galaxy S.

http://www.oled-info.com/super-amoled-plus-resolution-explained

amoled-vs-super-amoled-plus.jpg

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
I hope they don't use this as a way to gyp us out the 2X increase in resolution many of us want.

I am not saying it will never happen, but it is far too soon. The cost for the screen would probably be in the thousands if not more, and the number of units produced would be far less than Apple needs.

RE: OLED

I have never been a big fan of OLED, however, I don't think the usual problems with burn in would be that big of a deal. Most people will upgrade their iPad before the screen gets too bad. That is not to say, I would not prefer a high quality LCD over OLED.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
As mentioned already, iPad 2 is selling like hotcakes. Unlikely to be a new one this year.

Also, OLED also can't be produced at a quantity large enough for Apple products the last time I checked.

juicedropsdeuce

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
As mentioned already, iPad 2 is selling like hotcakes. Unlikely to be a new one this year.

Also, OLED also can't be produced at a quantity large enough for Apple products the last time I checked.

Last time you checked what? MacRumors and MacDailyNews? LOL :rolleyes:

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
OLED is horrible in sunlight

No! No! No!

The biggest problem with the otherwise excellent current iPad display is how badly it performs in sunlight. The LAST thing we need is a switch to AMOLED -- those things are practically invisible in sunlight -- they make Apple's IPS LEDs look like eInk when it come to sunlight performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.