Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majidgrok

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2011
Hi,

Is it possible to programming for windows on mac?
I installed windows 7 on my macbook pro just for developing windows application with C# ! but I hate installing windows !
is there any way to do that without virtualization (like VMware or parallel and so on) ?!!

thanks

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
You can look into the Mono project, which provides a CLR and a C# (and probably other .net langauges?) compiler for non-Windows platforms. I don't know if any IDEs on OS X are integrated with Mono... but probably nothing like VS if there are.

You can use VMWare with Unity mode to run VS, but if you're using Mono you're probably going to be in a grossly different development environment. You may be fine with this.

-Lee

majidgrok

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2011
You can use VMWare with Unity mode to run VS...

thanks for your response, can you explain what is exactly "Unity mode"...

is it lighter in front of running windows (by vmware) and then Visual Studio ?

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
thanks for your response, can you explain what is exactly "Unity mode"...

is it lighter in front of running windows (by vmware) and then Visual Studio ?

In vmware fusion unity mode allows you to hide the windows desktop and have applications running on windows display like other OS X apps. You're still virtualizing windows but get closer to a seamless experience.

-Lee

Blakeasd

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
While I don't know much about C# development, you might want to consider the C++ QT framework. It can write applications for Windows, OS X, and Linux. I would reccomend checking it out.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
You can look into the Mono project, which provides a CLR and a C# (and probably other .net langauges?) compiler for non-Windows platforms. I don't know if any IDEs on OS X are integrated with Mono... but probably nothing like VS if there are.

You can use VMWare with Unity mode to run VS, but if you're using Mono you're probably going to be in a grossly different development environment. You may be fine with this.

-Lee

Virtual Box does something similar.

I wouldn't use Mono right at the moment, its future is still relatively unknown.

http://www.sysmannews.com/content/article.aspx?ArticleID=35560&print=true

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
I took a whole slew of .NET programming classes with the free Dreamspark.com VS 2008 installed in a VirtualBox machine. If you are a student (ie, have access to a .edu address) , you can download Visual Studio and Server 2008 for free. With this running in VirtualBox and you basically have a free development station for Windows.

It worked perfect and it was better than getting a Windows box because I was simply able to shutdown the program to get back to my Mac.

larkost

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
While I would probably not do much serios development in it if I was targeting windows in a real way, there is also Cocotron

SidBala

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
If your target platform is Windows, then you should use Windows.

If you don't want to bootcamp, you could run a VM'd instance. I would not really recommend mono unless if you really do want cross platform support.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
If your target platform is Windows, then you should use Windows.

^^This

I am a C# developer and can tell you that you should stick to windows if you are programming for that environment. I would setup Bootcamp and then use VMware to start it up in OSx. From there you can use the unity mode to make it look more native and it does work well.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
It used to be possible to cross-compile a Windows app using Metrowerks Codewarrior on a Mac. But that product is long obsolete, unless you have an old PPC Mac running Mac Classic.

There might be some Windows development tools that run under the Mac version of Crossover. But you'd still have to test and debug on a Windows VM.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Though Wine will let you perform some development tasks on your Mac (such as creating an installer with InnoSetup - runs perfectly in all versions of Wine I've tried it with), the actual coding will require a real Windows environment.

SteelWheel

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2008

-Lee

Why is this any better/different from using Parallels and its Coherence mode? Or is it?

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I'm guessing they do the same thing, I wasn't aware of this parallels feature.

-Lee

Or Virtual box and seamless mode. They all support it now.

I would setup Bootcamp and then use VMware to start it up in OSx.

Why go through all the trouble and pay for the privilege ? Just download virtual box (free) and install Windows on a virtual hard disk.

Much easier to get rid of it if it becomes useless, just delete the virtual hard disk file and you've got your space back.

If you are a student (ie, have access to a .edu address) , you can download Visual Studio and Server 2008 for free.

If you're not, the Express versions work just fine :

http://www.microsoft.com/express/Downloads/#2010-Visual-CS

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.