PDA

View Full Version : Apple Also Inviting Australian Journalists to June 6th WWDC Keynote

MacRumors
May 27, 2011, 01:20 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/27/apple-also-inviting-australian-journalists-to-june-6th-wwdc-keynote/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/wwdc2011.jpg

Apple seems to be quietly inviting overseas journalists to the 2011 Worldwide Developer's Conference (WWDC) Keynote. With only one and a half weeks until the event, Apple isn't giving that much notice to international journalists. Earlier this week, we heard (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/25/apples-iphone-pr-team-reaching-out-to-uk-press-to-attend-wwdc/) that Apple's iPhone PR team was approaching British journalists to attend WWDC in San Francisco.

Now, iTechReport.com.au (http://itechreport.com.au/2011/05/27/apple-invites-australian-journos-to-june-6-event/) has spotted a tweet from Australian technology editor Charlie Brown revealing that he had been invited to San Francisco on June 6th, the first date of WWDC.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/wwdc-500x193.jpg

(http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/wwdc.jpg)
The tweet has now been removed, but Brown said that he expected something big at the event. Apple commonly invites journalists to the WWDC, though this year Apple has been particularly quiet about the details of the keynote. By this time, Apple has usually announced the time/date of the keynote as well as the host. The WWDC keynote typically takes place at 10am Pacific on the first day of WWDC. This year that would fall on June 6th. Steve Jobs is the usual keynote speaker, but due to his medical leave of absence, it seems likely that role will be filled by someone else.

In the original WWDC announcement (see above), Apple has already revealed that they will be talking about the "future" of iOS and Mac OS X. So, we expect iOS 5 and Mac OS X Lion to be the focus of the event as well as a possible music cloud service that has been heavily rumored.

Article Link: Apple Also Inviting Australian Journalists to June 6th WWDC Keynote (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/27/apple-also-inviting-australian-journalists-to-june-6th-wwdc-keynote/)

mKizzo
May 27, 2011, 01:37 AM
Steve presented at last event despite being on medical leave of absence. So why say "it's unlikely he'll be there". I'd say, it's likely he WILL be there.

Žalgiris
May 27, 2011, 01:38 AM
Less than 2 weeks and we will find out.

MorphingDragon
May 27, 2011, 01:46 AM
Amazing! Down under actually got invited to something. :rolleyes:

wordoflife
May 27, 2011, 01:47 AM
Well I guess we know where Gizmodo's seat went.

biallystock
May 27, 2011, 01:50 AM
I hope it's to tell the Journos that Apple will now double the price gouged from Australian MAS and iTunes customers.

We really appreciate how generous you were letting us have that old Australia-USA "Free" Trade Agreement.

Or maybe they are finally going to finally include some Australian words in the Australian dictionary!

talkingfuture
May 27, 2011, 01:57 AM
I think that Lion demo with a release date and the new cloud services are big enough to get a lot of journalists there. Especially the cloud services as the success of these relies on as many people seeing it through the media as possible to gain traction.

Thex1138
May 27, 2011, 02:01 AM
Australia on the invite mApple
:rolleyes:

Since the Aussie dollar buys 106+ US Cents... :D

Reach9
May 27, 2011, 02:02 AM
Looking forward for both OS', this is Apple's time to deliver.

I can see it now, after WWDC ends, it'll be all iPhone 5, with a little bit of the iPods, until September.

yodaxl7
May 27, 2011, 02:02 AM
Probably the icloud announcement and demo, since they got the licenses. It would be nice if the new iphone was there, too.

nofunsir
May 27, 2011, 02:04 AM
why are the app icons in 3D?...

ranReloaded
May 27, 2011, 02:09 AM
[...]The tweet has now been removed, [...]

...And the invitation has been voided!! :D

Cougarcat
May 27, 2011, 02:10 AM
Sign that the cloud music service will be international from the get-go? That would be an impressive feat.

ranReloaded
May 27, 2011, 02:11 AM
why are the app icons in 3D?...

Visual effect. So was the "Tunnel" in the "App Universe" thingy last time.

zerofour
May 27, 2011, 02:11 AM
I'm starting a tech blog immediately... Can I get an invite..? :D

nofunsir
May 27, 2011, 02:16 AM
Visual effect. So was the "Tunnel" in the "App Universe" thingy last time.

Yeah. I just googled it too.

Though it would be nice to have some depth to the interface (please not 3D though), the closest thing of which we have is the reflection on the mini app dock.

jhvander
May 27, 2011, 02:18 AM
I WANT an iPhone nano. i don't watch the screen. I want a small phone that does everything without a big screen there!! gimme!!!

AppleScruff1
May 27, 2011, 02:26 AM
It must be something really big, Think on the scale of the iPad, maybe even bigger.

kalsta
May 27, 2011, 02:29 AM
Amazing! Down under actually got invited to something. :rolleyes:

Don't worry, we'll tell you all about the keynote… just as soon as New Zealand gets the Internets.

RonWayne
May 27, 2011, 02:30 AM
Charlie Brown? really?
Is Apple inviting the rest of the Peanuts too?

kalsta
May 27, 2011, 02:33 AM
It must be something really big, Think on the scale of the iPad, maybe even bigger.

Maybe a 12 inch iPad?! :eek:

Born Again
May 27, 2011, 02:36 AM
I can't wait!

Do u think apple pays for the flight?

NameUndecided
May 27, 2011, 02:38 AM
Among all the things that could be announced, I wonder if there's any possibility that an iBooks for OSX could be one of them. I don't know what's been preventing that, so I've been wondering lately if Apple's deals with various publishing companies extends to iDevices only.

smiddlehurst
May 27, 2011, 02:42 AM

No. No no no no no. PLEASE don't start thinking this way otherwise we'll have a week and a half of unrealistic expectations followed by a tsunami of moaning when Apple doesn't deliver a 1mm thin iPhone. Apple inviting tech writers to WWDC isn't that surprising surely and while it does suggest there'll be something worth reporting on it's far more likely to be Lion / iOS 5 / Cloud Music than anything else (and I wouldn't place bets on Cloud Music at this point either, they may hold that back for September as it'd be a better fit there).

Sure, think everyone would like to see the new iPhone rollout in June / July as it has done previously but wouldn't it be good to be pleasantly surprised if it does rather than let down if it doesn't?

AppleScruff1
May 27, 2011, 02:52 AM
No. No no no no no. PLEASE don't start thinking this way otherwise we'll have a week and a half of unrealistic expectations followed by a tsunami of moaning when Apple doesn't deliver a 1mm thin iPhone. Apple inviting tech writers to WWDC isn't that surprising surely and while it does suggest there'll be something worth reporting on it's far more likely to be Lion / iOS 5 / Cloud Music than anything else (and I wouldn't place bets on Cloud Music at this point either, they may hold that back for September as it'd be a better fit there).

Sure, think everyone would like to see the new iPhone rollout in June / July as it has done previously but wouldn't it be good to be pleasantly surprised if it does rather than let down if it doesn't?

What if there is some new product that hasn't been leaked at all? Something to totally catch everyone off guard? Not the iPhone 5, or Lion or iCloud.

Thex1138
May 27, 2011, 02:53 AM
Meh Who knows...

Aussie press get an invite... that's all we care about... and the dollar :rolleyes:

atarobert97
May 27, 2011, 03:07 AM
Hope we find more infomation on IOS 5.

Fukui
May 27, 2011, 03:57 AM
What if there is some new product that hasn't been leaked at all? Something to totally catch everyone off guard? Not the iPhone 5, or Lion or iCloud.

Here’s my guess. iCloud, with developer API’s to sync data transparently between iOS and Mac apps, so you no longer have to sync files through iTunes. Maybe they will also demo it with say, iWork for iPad and OS X… wouldn’t that be nice??

Here’s to hoping.

JS77
May 27, 2011, 04:07 AM
Hope we find more infomation on IOS 5.

I think that's a given...

My name is Alex
May 27, 2011, 04:43 AM
Can't wait, forgot it was only a week and a half away. Hope Apple will stream this one. :apple:

Ashin
May 27, 2011, 04:50 AM
I think after the iPhone 4 leaks etc, Apple are throwing out red herrings and keeping totally quiet about the next iPhone.

Don't be too surprised if you see the next iPhone

Popeye206
May 27, 2011, 05:04 AM
I think after the iPhone 4 leaks etc, Apple are throwing out red herrings and keeping totally quiet about the next iPhone.

Don't be too surprised if you see the next iPhone

I'm betting on all OS related announcements this time. The iPhone hardware is very competitive... It's the OS's that need a refresh to keep the competition going.

It's going to be interesting to see what they have adopted from others and more so, what's new that no one has thought of. But I'm sure the new iOS5 will be like getting a new iPhone and iPad.

MorphingDragon
May 27, 2011, 05:17 AM
Don't worry, we'll tell you all about the keynote… just as soon as New Zealand gets the Internets.

New Zealand on average has faster speeds than Australia according to the ITIF and the OECD.

:D

---

I'm usually asleep when keynotes happen so Ill just watch it when it comes. I would like to go to the WWDC but it always coincides with exams or work stuff.

fabian9
May 27, 2011, 05:54 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

So the US, UK and Australian journalists have had a special invite? I think this means that the icloud is starting in at least those 3 countries.

Maybe the invites are short notice because they are being sent out as apple mangages to strike more and more regional deals with record labels?

StayingOccupied
May 27, 2011, 06:16 AM
Charlie Brown? really?
Is Apple inviting the rest of the Peanuts too?

nice:cool:

rudigern
May 27, 2011, 06:27 AM
I had the unfortunate experience of meeting Charlie Brown at a Bada conference he was MCing. He was an epic douché.

ntux
May 27, 2011, 06:35 AM
I hope for a new :apple:TV with a A5 that handles 1080p (finally!), and with an app store (in IO5?).

So I can finally have an eyetv app, and plex frontend nicely integrated on my bedroom tv (currently a dying macbookpro1,1 is struggling with 1080p there, and it's not practical to handle it with VNC).

jonnysods
May 27, 2011, 06:59 AM
Very cool. Looking forward to the 6th.

There are a few irons in the fire for apple right now, I wonder what they are going to highlight?

DavidRichards
May 27, 2011, 07:20 AM
Somebody asked if Apple pays for airfares when they invite overseas media to WWDC, Macworld etc. You bet they do! The cost of a journo coming all the way from Australia, HK, London etc would be more than any newspaper, magazine or individual journalist could justify, and then there's accommodation.

Let me tell you how this all works.

Apple AU invites a select handful of Aussie media to a key event like Macworld (no longer, of course) or WWDC. The media they invite tend to be very pro-Apple, or at least not at all critical. Apple does NOT invite any journalist they think they can't control and won't get 100% positive editorial out of.

You just have to look at the 'journalists' they have most often invited and you'll see these are the biggest Apple shills this side of the Pacific Ocean, people who get a lot of space in print or on TV but never speak a critical word of Apple, in fact they go the other way and blindly parrot the Apple line in the most sycophantic manner.

From time to time Apple has invited someone who has refused to bathe in the Kool-Aid and dared to suggest that the iPhone or iPad isn't perfect - not a big nasty sledge, just a fair & balanced telling of the facts as they see them - and Apple has then made a point of NOT inviting that person again.

So here is how it goes with these junkets. Apple AU invites its chosen few. They're flow business class to the US and put up in a five-star hotel, all expenses paid of course. Because they arrive the day before the event Apple usually arranges some fun casual activity for them, and a dinner the night before the event. Then the media attend the event, and as soon as it's over they get an infodump from Apple AU PR immediately afterwards for local pricing and release dates. There's also a private demo session which tends to repeat the on-stage demo, give journalists a little hands-on time so they can claim they got hands-on with the product and make their rushed initial puff piece sound like a review. You don't ask questions in this briefing because there is either no time because the demo runs the length of the session or because there is no point because Apple won't give any answer unless the information is already in the press release. So forget about trying to get useful information.

Then its off to write stories before a big dinner, a free day the next day and then business class back home again.

And that's why so many of the regular journalists will not raise one critical note of Apple, will not even question any of Apple's statements and assumptions, because they will then be dropped off the junket list which means those scoop 'First review!' stories and business class flights and frequent flyer points and days to play in San Francisco at Apple's expense would vanish.

biallystock
May 27, 2011, 08:04 AM
So pretty much like the US media and the Iraqi war all over again?

kalsta
May 27, 2011, 08:09 AM
New Zealand on average has faster speeds than Australia according to the ITIF and the OECD.

:D

And we're both blown away by Japan and parts of Europe.

Okay… I'm up for a trans-Tasman broadband bake-off if you are…

7701 kbps (see attached screen shot). Your turn!

I'm usually asleep when keynotes happen so Ill just watch it when it comes.

I should be asleep, but sometimes Steve's reality distortion field pulls me in even before it starts and I am forced to watch.

caspersoong
May 27, 2011, 08:16 AM
I am hoping for a new category of product. Or maybe that would be too much diversity for Apple.

Jcoz
May 27, 2011, 08:56 AM
Somebody asked if Apple pays for airfares when they invite overseas media to WWDC, Macworld etc. You bet they do! The cost of a journo coming all the way from Australia, HK, London etc would be more than any newspaper, magazine or individual journalist could justify, and then there's accommodation.

Let me tell you how this all works.

Apple AU invites a select handful of Aussie media to a key event like Macworld (no longer, of course) or WWDC. The media they invite tend to be very pro-Apple, or at least not at all critical. Apple does NOT invite any journalist they think they can't control and won't get 100% positive editorial out of.

You just have to look at the 'journalists' they have most often invited and you'll see these are the biggest Apple shills this side of the Pacific Ocean, people who get a lot of space in print or on TV but never speak a critical word of Apple, in fact they go the other way and blindly parrot the Apple line in the most sycophantic manner.

From time to time Apple has invited someone who has refused to bathe in the Kool-Aid and dared to suggest that the iPhone or iPad isn't perfect - not a big nasty sledge, just a fair & balanced telling of the facts as they see them - and Apple has then made a point of NOT inviting that person again.

So here is how it goes with these junkets. Apple AU invites its chosen few. They're flow business class to the US and put up in a five-star hotel, all expenses paid of course. Because they arrive the day before the event Apple usually arranges some fun casual activity for them, and a dinner the night before the event. Then the media attend the event, and as soon as it's over they get an infodump from Apple AU PR immediately afterwards for local pricing and release dates. There's also a private demo session which tends to repeat the on-stage demo, give journalists a little hands-on time so they can claim they got hands-on with the product and make their rushed initial puff piece sound like a review. You don't ask questions in this briefing because there is either no time because the demo runs the length of the session or because there is no point because Apple won't give any answer unless the information is already in the press release. So forget about trying to get useful information.

Then its off to write stories before a big dinner, a free day the next day and then business class back home again.

And that's why so many of the regular journalists will not raise one critical note of Apple, will not even question any of Apple's statements and assumptions, because they will then be dropped off the junket list which means those scoop 'First review!' stories and business class flights and frequent flyer points and days to play in San Francisco at Apple's expense would vanish.

All they while they are selling lemons right? Which is why it ALL catches up to them in the end, as it reaches the rest of the review and blogospheres......oh, wait, that's right. It doesn't go that way at all...

What you are saying just makes sense from a marketing point of view. Your insinuations that it somehow means that they are hiding something or presenting a false front is ridiculous.

If the products were trash, no amount of primping and preening could disguise that in the long run.

What a troll.

davidgrimm
May 27, 2011, 09:22 AM
Apparently there is a beer glut in CA and Apple thought by inviting some Aussies over they could help drink all that excess beer. Apple was right!

SamTheGeek
May 27, 2011, 10:14 AM
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Steve Jobs confirmed as the speaker at WWDC sometime earlier this week, or last week?

URFloorMatt
May 27, 2011, 10:22 AM

iCloud, iOS 5, and Lion. We already know it's bigger than the iPad. Much bigger.

Drag'nGT
May 27, 2011, 10:35 AM
I hope we hear about the extra security built into Lion. Not the crappy malware filter we got the last time. I mean a full tilt security overhaul. If Apple plans to keep selling people computers with the 'no viruses' moniker then they gotta patch the holes. Not to mention they get front page ads when they get hacked at the conventions and other security conferences.

As for iOS5. Hopefully it's truly impressive. I'm keeping an open mind to a design refresh or something similar. Apart from the list of features we all want (steal the JB apps Apple!) in the next iOS I really just want Apple to offer a free MobileMe service. They really need something that can keep people from getting their iPhone and then using all the Google apps to sync and such. This will be impressive for the majority of people who only know about syncing with iTunes.

moetownslick
May 27, 2011, 11:20 AM
IMO, the "big" thing has to be iCloud (or whatever they end up calling it). I just don't see anything else on the IMMEDIATE horizon that would qualify.

whooleytoo
May 27, 2011, 11:43 AM

Given how 'leaky' Apple has been lately, it's pretty unlikely that any significant product could come out without the media hearing of it in advance.

iMJustAGuy
May 27, 2011, 12:22 PM
Well that's cocky. :p

acslater017
May 27, 2011, 01:06 PM

I doubt it. I'm leaning towards those who are saying this is going to be an all-software/services affair. I suspect they will unveil their revamped MobileMe/iCloud/server farm/whatever it is. Or MAYBE preview the 5th-generation iPhone (which seems unlikely to be a huge leap). A new hardware line is the most improbable.

I think that there is still lots of cool stuff that can be done with iOS 5: notifications, multitasking, navigation, voice, file sharing/syncing are all areas that can be improved upon significantly. That, and I'm hoping that there is something secret and cool to be revealed about OS X Lion. When Leopard was first previewed, they didn't even show the new Finder, Stacks, and those UI changes. They've gotta have SOMETHING cool for WWDC, right?! :D

ggg05a
May 27, 2011, 01:17 PM
Hasn't Apple's Skunk Works been working on a search engine? I'm sure Apple would love to return the favor for Google's Droid in the market place.

Maybe Apple will tell us what they intend to do with that $60 Billion, or perhaps they'll show everyone an iTV, and really change the home theater experience.

ComputersaysNo
May 27, 2011, 01:39 PM

Maybe a Lodsyslawyershapedpińata? And plenty sticks for everyone!

AidenShaw
May 27, 2011, 03:17 PM
The name should change - since it's turning back into MacWorld with product announcements, keynotes, etc.

AppleScruff1
May 27, 2011, 07:05 PM
iCloud, iOS 5, and Lion. We already know it's bigger than the iPad. Much bigger.

But that isn't going to create a stampede of people lining up on the street. Sure, it's some cool stuff, but not mind blowing.

Given how 'leaky' Apple has been lately, it's pretty unlikely that any significant product could come out without the media hearing of it in advance.

Good point, but you never know.

I doubt it. I'm leaning towards those who are saying this is going to be an all-software/services affair. I suspect they will unveil their revamped MobileMe/iCloud/server farm/whatever it is. Or MAYBE preview the 5th-generation iPhone (which seems unlikely to be a huge leap). A new hardware line is the most improbable.

I think that there is still lots of cool stuff that can be done with iOS 5: notifications, multitasking, navigation, voice, file sharing/syncing are all areas that can be improved upon significantly. That, and I'm hoping that there is something secret and cool to be revealed about OS X Lion. When Leopard was first previewed, they didn't even show the new Finder, Stacks, and those UI changes. They've gotta have SOMETHING cool for WWDC, right?! :D

But that isn't enough to create the excitement that the iPad did.

Maybe a Lodsyslawyershapedpińata? And plenty sticks for everyone!

LOL! Maybe a Samsung pinata too.

Dirty Smuggler
May 27, 2011, 09:18 PM
For those getting too excited over some media attending, just remember the iPod hifi/iPhone covers press event.

AidenShaw
May 27, 2011, 09:20 PM
For those getting too excited over some media attending, just remember the iPod hifi/iPhone covers press event.

Socks! Socks! I want Socks!

Dirty Smuggler
May 28, 2011, 01:20 AM
I know an announcement worthy of bringing in journalists from around the globe: "Starting today, when you buy an Apple product outside the USA, you will no longer be screwed on the exchange rate".

MorphingDragon
May 28, 2011, 01:33 AM
And we're both blown away by Japan and parts of Europe.

Okay… I'm up for a trans-Tasman broadband bake-off if you are…

7701 kbps (see attached screen shot). Your turn!

Feh, individual tests are pointless. Plus unless I know what server you connect to its pointless to compare results. Even then international speeds will be slower than national speeds.

http://www.fierysource.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Internet-Speeds-from-around-the-world.jpg

I should be asleep, but sometimes Steve's reality distortion field pulls me in even before it starts and I am forced to watch.

Sounds... sensual.

Socks! Socks! I want Socks!

So many interpretations, so little time.

kalsta
May 28, 2011, 05:41 AM
Feh, individual tests are pointless. Plus …

Aw c'mon… What else is MacRumors about but good clean, nerdy, 'pointless' fun? Admit it, you would have posted your numbers had they beaten mine. ;)

theGAPkid
May 31, 2011, 11:17 AM
Has anyone thought it might be Steve Jobs handing over power at all? I mean, it's been announced he's presenting, and whilst I can't argue that the lineup isn't sounding spectacular, perhaps they want the worlds press there to witness the end of an era, the SJ era...

Just a thought :o