Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
I can hardly believe it. You can read about the first one here. I can't understand how I could experience two failed drives, especially in such a short period of time. Each drive lasted about two weeks before they each abruptly, without any prior signs of illness, died sudden and catastrophic deaths. Two weeks; isn't that strange?

I'm already working on the RMA with Newegg to get another replacement. I don't know if I'm more frustrated or dismayed.

jenzjen

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
Like I wrote in your other thread, put the SSD in the main spot and remove the optical bay product and let it be for a month.

Your experience and chopper's here (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1053658/) lead me to believe there's something wonky when using these optibay things.

I know there are others out there that report no issue, but between you and him, 4 dead SSDs in such a short time is rare, plausible, but rare.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
Hm, hadn't seen that thread before. Their experiences in that thread match mine exactly. I'll definitely give your suggestion a try.

Next question is, should I buy a new HDD with built-in sudden motion sensor and move the HDD to the optibay? I can't get get by with the SSD's storage space alone for any extended period of time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.