PDA

View Full Version : New Palms to hit store shelves soon

vniow
Sep 19, 2002, 07:46 PM
Handheld maker Palm will release three newly designed devices in October, according to company CEO Todd Bradley.

'bout damn time.:)

click me (http://news.com.com/2100-1040-958708.html?tag=fd_top)

finchna
Sep 19, 2002, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by edvniow

'bout damn time.:)

click me (http://news.com.com/2100-1040-958708.html?tag=fd_top)

Here's another link with a pic of the consumer version...

New Palm (http://geek.com/pdageek/pdamain.htm)

uhlawboi80
Sep 19, 2002, 09:03 PM
hate to be predictable...but who the HE!! cares. i have had my handspring for a goo long while, and now all it does is provides quick reference to my static schedule and has my portabush digipet. unless PDAs get some big time overhauls they are dead.

Stike
Sep 19, 2002, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by finchna

Here's another link with a pic of the consumer version...

New Palm (http://geek.com/pdageek/pdamain.htm)

OMG Apple did it again - they created a trend... its "Breakout" on the PDA!! But, I guess my iPod game is better. Control via wheel rocks!

So I dont need a PDA... iPod has it all!

blackpeter
Sep 19, 2002, 09:30 PM
Well, the new design would look great with a new iMac, iBook, or eMac.

medea
Sep 19, 2002, 10:00 PM
uh, if you wanted a cheap palm wouldnt you just get a m105 instead that is actually cheaper and has more features.....this one looks nice yeah but it doesnt even have a color screen! Palm should fire their R&D team.:confused:

-Richard
www.osx.has.it

rainman::|:|
Sep 19, 2002, 11:09 PM
Oh, for the love of god. i go read the forums over there, everyone is complaining about the thing. imagine my surprise when i read the forum here and find the same thing. Think about it people, you get what you pay for. maybe some people don't need a color screen (status symbols aren't everything, no one needs 256,000 color calendars), or would like something basic to see if they'd like it... this is a hell of a lot better than those off brand $69 "pda"'s that sell at so many places-- glorified calculators... this, in my opinion, taps into a wonderful market and has potential to help people be productive at a low cost, rather than making people fork over $$$ for unnecessary geek features... if you don't like it, go spend $500 for something that lets you use GPS and cell phone and wireless internet and all that crap... or better yet, get a freaking laptop...

:)
pnw

Hemingray
Sep 19, 2002, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by paulwhannel
or better yet, get a freaking laptop...

:)
pnw

Amen to that! Right on.

I gotta admit though, that "hardball" game on there just makes it look like a kid's toy and doesn't help its case.

MacBandit
Sep 20, 2002, 12:28 AM
What's happened to the tech community? They're so sour and depressed and pessimistic. They no longer see any good in anything and poo poo things before they even see or use it. This is idiotic if you don't like it let the companies know this and fork over a few Million so they can develop something you might like.

Get a life!

painimies
Sep 20, 2002, 03:16 AM
"What's happened to the tech community? They're so sour and depressed and pessimistic."

...and illiterate.

I mean, I'm from Finland and I know my english isn't all that great, but I don't think there was a single post in that thread that wasn't full of ridiculous spelling errors, not counting the two posts by mac users ;)

Sorry for the ranting, maybe next time I post something that has actually something to do with the thread subject.

Bear
Sep 20, 2002, 06:44 AM
The new low end one is going to be weird with only two buttons. I'd say the M105 is probably a better choice in that price range.

As for handspring, where the heck are they heading off to? No color one anymore except with the stupid little keyboard.

In terms of Palm OS, Sony seems to be going good. Great color models.

Well have to see what the other two models from Palm look like before comments can be made on them.

As for why color in a PDA? Color coding calendar entries can be useful. Your Mileage May Vary.

At thie pooint, my Palm III is about dead and the best choice price/feature wise appears to be the Sony line. That is for the features I'm looking for.

medea
Sep 20, 2002, 09:11 AM
Who should get a life? The people who have legitimate complaints about a product and discuss those on the forums (which is what the forum is for), or the people who just like to complain about everyone else's complaints......and people generally don't worry about their punctuation on forums or chats for that matter and that does not equal being illiterate.:mad:

MacBandit
Sep 20, 2002, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Total OS X
Who should get a life? The people who have legitimate complaints about a product and discuss those on the forums (which is what the forum is for), or the people who just like to complain about everyone else's complaints......and people generally don't worry about their punctuation on forums or chats for that matter and that does not equal being illiterate.:mad:

How can you have legitimate complaints about a product you haven't seen or used or for that matter has even been sold to the public yet?

uhlawboi80
Sep 20, 2002, 01:39 PM
Well i cant speak for anyone esle, but i WAS NOT bashing the new palms. i was bashing the sector:D i think the PDA is on its way out, and i find mine basically to be an expensive calender. of course, i also refuse to email from my 1in x 1in cell phone screen....

though for many MDs i know, they are a great way to keep everyones schedules available to everyone. just sync them all and they know what clinic everyone will be at and what not.

BobVB
Sep 20, 2002, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by MacBandit
How can you have legitimate complaints about a product you haven't seen or used or for that matter has even been sold to the public yet?

We have the Palm's track record and the hints from the rumor sites. Lets get real - how often do these place UNDER estimate the capabilities of their targets?

Palm can't seem to get it through their head what people want and then make it. They just make slight variations on the same old stuff and market it as new.

We want bluetooth, we want a decent size memory (at least 16 megs base with expansion capability), and Mac compatibility. Colors ok too as long as it doesn't mean you have to charge it daily.

In short Palm hardware should have been making this (http://geek.com/pdageek/pdamain.htm) over a year ago, but they left it to their competitors like Sony to make the attractive Palm devices and then wonder why their sales are in the toilet. The reason is obvious to anyone who's compared all Palm compatible devices against each other.

I have hopes that Tungsten will be something I will buy, but it may just be too late to save Palm hardware.

finchna
Sep 21, 2002, 01:48 PM
Perhaps this will be of more interest...

http://geek.com/news/geeknews/2002Sep/bpd20020920016426.htm

job
Sep 21, 2002, 02:29 PM
heh,

it does not look that bad..

edesignuk
Sep 21, 2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by hitman
heh,

it does not look that bad..
Indeed, it looks pretty damn good if you ask me. :D

MacBandit
Sep 21, 2002, 05:57 PM
Indeed the Tungsten looks really cool.

gooddog
Sep 22, 2002, 03:12 AM
I have a Handspring Visor Prism ($300) and love it.

So much that, when HS killed the line, I rushed to COSTCO and picked up two spare units for $99 each.

Upgraded them ( Huey, Louie, and Dewey ... "Silent Running" ) to 16 Mb RAM.

I was appalled that HS killed the line just to force us to buy the crappy TREO things.

As a teacher, I use the EyeModule2 camera to get very nice JPEGS of my kiddies for seating charts, portfolios, projects, morphing fun etc. I also take quick snapshots, at 640 X 480 full VGA , of documents to view with AcidView instead of xeroxing or writting notes by hand -- cuts down on interruption time while I try to teach.

I also take some handwritten notes in an app that saves these with timer alarm reminders.

I use the VisorPhone module to call parents on the spot , when the darling velociraptors take to cannibalizing the new kid.

I use a Mobile version of an electronic gradebook and will soon move to FileMaker Pro / Mobile2 for better performance and page layout.

I will use the Red-M bluetooth module to print documents and memos
remotely and to download entire gradebooks to the Districy computer without filling scantron bubbles 'till I'm blind.

I will use the Momentum II barcode scanner to process some multiple choice quizzes and to inventory textbooks. If I could tattoo the little suckers, I'd have roll-taking down pat :)

And for faculty meetings, there is BEJEWELED .

-------and it's and investment and risk of HUNDREDS of $ instead of THOUSANDS for laptops and accessories. A lot smaller to carry too.

I sure hope that PDA's don't become extinct soon.

But , for my needs, I am set for the next five years or so.

---gooddog

gooddog
Sep 22, 2002, 03:24 AM
I have a Handspring Visor Prism ($300 for the first one) and *love* it.

So much that, when HS killed the line, I rushed to COSTCO and picked up two spare units for $99 each.

I upgraded them ( Huey, Louie, and Dewey ... "Silent Running" ) to 16 Mb RAM.

I was appalled that HS killed the Prism line just to force us to buy the crappy TREO things.

As a teacher, I use the EyeModule2 camera to get very nice JPEGS of my kiddies for seating charts, portfolios, projects, morphing fun etc. I also take quick snapshots, at 640 X 480 full VGA , of documents to zoom-view with AcidView instead of xeroxing or writting notes by hand -- cuts down on interruption time while I try to teach.

I could even do time-lapse movies over a whole day , if I am absent, to check on SUBSTITUTE KILLERS that may be mascarading as angels :)

I also take some handwritten notes in an app that saves these with timer alarm reminders.

I sync all this to my Flat-Panel iMac and "Retrospect" it to DVD daily.

I use the VisorPhone module to call parents on the spot , when the darling velociraptors take to cannibalizing the new kid. And I can use the super memo pad to take notes while chatting with Moms.

With a Stowaway keyboard, and wordprocessor, I can compose documents at work and even e-mail them back to my iMAc.

I use a Mobile version of an electronic gradebook and will soon move to FileMaker Pro / Mobile2 for better performance and page layout.

I will use the Red-M bluetooth module to print documents and memos
remotely and to download entire gradebooks to the District computer without filling scantron bubbles until I'm blind.

I will use the Momentum II barcode scanner to process some multiple choice quizzes and to inventory textbooks. If I could tattoo the little suckers, I'd have roll-taking down pat :) too !!!

And for faculty meetings, there is BEJEWELED .

-------and it's an investment and risk of HUNDREDS of $ instead of THOUSANDS for laptops and accessories. A lot smaller to carry too.

I sure hope that PDA's don't become extinct soon.

But , for my needs, I am set for the next five years or so.

---gooddog

job
Sep 23, 2002, 11:49 AM
I wonder how much the tungsten will cost..

It it's reasonable, I might go for one..

chewbaccapits
Oct 2, 2002, 03:57 AM
http://www.acc.cz/treo.php#features

job
Oct 2, 2002, 11:30 AM
It might just be a profile of a third party product..

Wash!!
Oct 2, 2002, 02:18 PM
NEWTON NEWTON WHERE ARE YOU?
Save me from all these crappy Palm o crap PDAs !!!