Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

new2pro.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Hi. I recently purchased a book to try and teach myself how to write c++. I bought c++ for dummies 6th edition. It comes with a cd rom but the code::blocks program on the cd does work on macs i dont think. Id like to use the program cause it would make following the book easier. So heres what im thinking. I could split my hard drive and put windows 7 and see if the program will work with that, but since this book is a little old im worried it wont. Any advice on that? Also i been researching xcode in the app store, but im worried about spending $5 on a program and then having problems following the book and stuff. Also i know if i put windows vista on my computer the program will work, but if im going to go through the trouble of putting windows on my mac, im putting windows 7. Some one please help. Thank you.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
What's in a Code::Blocks project? Surely it must consist of source and header files that you can import in Xcode or something else? If this is standard C++, it shouldn't be any problem.

new2pro.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2011
It says its a version of gcc combined with code::blocks. So what you think i should do, because its not letting me access that part of the cd rom, assuming because its not compatible with mac.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
It says its a version of gcc combined with code::blocks. So what you think i should do, because its not letting me access that part of the cd rom, assuming because its not compatible with mac.

I have no idea, supposedly the CD-rom is a iso 9600, but the code::blocks projects wrap up the files inside the project?

You could perhaps reach them by looking in /volumes/cd-rom-name in the terminal. Or get code::blocks for mac os x, I have never used it and it says it's not as mature, but perhaps enough to retrieve the files.

http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads/26

new2pro.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2011
I installed code::blocks from that cite you sent me and i think its going to work with what its asking me to do. Thanks alot

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.