PDA

View Full Version : Apple to Announce Back-to-School Promotion at WWDC? iPad Discounts Included?

MacRumors
May 27, 2011, 10:56 AM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/27/apple-to-announce-back-to-school-promotion-at-wwdc-ipad-discounts-included/)

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/apple_bts_2010.jpg

(http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/apple_bts_2010.jpg)
Last week, a report (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/17/apples-back-to-school-promo-starting-next-week/) surfaced claiming that Apple could launch its annual back-to-school promotion in the United States as early as this week, offering educational customers free or discounted iPod hardware with the purchase of a qualifying Mac product. With it now appearing that the offer will not debut this week, BGR is reporting (http://www.bgr.com/2011/05/27/apple-to-announce-back-to-school-special-at-wwdc-200-off-an-ipad-or-free-ipod-touch/) that Apple may wait until next month's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) to announce the promotion.One of our Apple sources has informed us that they've been hearing Apple's yearly back-to-school special will be announced at WWDC next month. We have been told Apple will continue to offer educational discounts on computers and either a free iPod touch, or $229 towards the purchase of any other iPod.The report also indicates that Apple may be preparing to include a $200 discount on the iPad as an option for those participating in the promotion.

Last year's promotion (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/05/25/apple-launches-back-to-school-promo-free-ipod-with-mac-purchase-for-students/) offered rebates of up to $199 on Apple's full line of iPod models, but did not include the iPad. Apple has also never included iPhone discounts in the promotion, which typically runs through early September, around the time the company traditionally introduces new iPods.

Article Link: Apple to Announce Back-to-School Promotion at WWDC? iPad Discounts Included? (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/27/apple-to-announce-back-to-school-promotion-at-wwdc-ipad-discounts-included/)

ratzzo
May 27, 2011, 11:00 AM
Then they will have iPod surplus :rolleyes:

spiderman0616
May 27, 2011, 11:02 AM
A discount that significant on an iPad? That's almost a no brainer. If one of my sons were in college, I would buy him the Mac and keep the iPad.

blue22
May 27, 2011, 11:08 AM
wow, if that' true about the discount for the iPad2 I just might finally pick one up. :)

PraisiX-windows
May 27, 2011, 11:10 AM
I know this is sort of off-topic, but that B2S promotion - picture distracts me - My eyes tend to go to the ipod touch, followed by the mac and then straight after to one of the notes on the wall in the background where it says "summer jobs" xD - That jobs thing, could that be a hint to a certain S. jobs?

onthecouchagain
May 27, 2011, 11:12 AM
iPad or iPad 2?

strwrsfrk
May 27, 2011, 11:17 AM
If indeed the $200 rebate is applied towards iPads, I don't care if it is iPad 2 or refurbished iPad 1 (not that there are any currently in the store). But if the new MacBook Air line is announced alongside this deal... well, there's no way I'll be able to resist.

NAG
May 27, 2011, 11:18 AM
Aren't the only iPad 1s they're selling refurbished? I doubt they'd do that.

oliversl
May 27, 2011, 11:18 AM
Sounds nice, but regarding the "wow" event at WWDC, what could it be?

iOS 5 or 4.5? Siri integration? iTunes iCloud? It seems that it would be a software "wow" and not a hardware "wow"

basesloaded190
May 27, 2011, 11:21 AM
Sounds nice, but regarding the "wow" event at WWDC, what could it be?

iOS 5 or 4.5? Siri integration? iTunes iCloud? It seems that it would be a software "wow" and not a hardware "wow"

That's what has been the rumor for months now. No new hardware (Iphone) all Lion and probably iOS 5.

xlii
May 27, 2011, 11:22 AM
They've got to be releasing new macBooks in time for the back to school promotions.

VanMac
May 27, 2011, 11:24 AM
Discount on an :apple: iPad would be cool.

ratzzo
May 27, 2011, 11:26 AM
iPad or iPad 2?

"on the iPad"
:confused:

also, does this work with refurbished mac purchases?

cvaldes
May 27, 2011, 11:29 AM
They're not gonna discount the iPad. They can't even keep up with demand at full retail pricing. Their rollout to international markets is incomplete (i.e., the iPad is not sold in all the markets where they sell iPhones and iPod touches).

The only day that Apple might consider discounting iPads is their 24-hour holiday sale after Thanksgiving (Cyber Monday, I believe).

foobarbaz
May 27, 2011, 11:29 AM
The free iPod is not that big a kicker anymore...
A discount towards an iPad or iPhone would indeed be this a fantastic deal.

DocNYz
May 27, 2011, 11:31 AM
They've got to be releasing new macBooks in time for the back to school promotions.

Any time they do a promotion it's when they're getting rid of old stock.

ratzzo
May 27, 2011, 11:33 AM
I don't see how or WHY they would need to include the iPad in the back-to-school program.

Genius marketing idea

toddybody
May 27, 2011, 11:34 AM
Ahhh, Apple's Back to School sale...the time of the year when MR members desperately plead with their friends in college for the discount.

Blakjack
May 27, 2011, 11:40 AM
They are not going to discount the iPad.

M-O
May 27, 2011, 11:48 AM
$1250 for a MacBook Air + iPad 2. not bad. not bad at all.

MrENGLISH
May 27, 2011, 11:53 AM
I'd be surprised if this was true. The Back To School promotion has always been about clearing out the iPod stock ahead of September's annual iPod/Music event when the iPod lineup normally gets updated.

Entourage12
May 27, 2011, 11:55 AM
Maybe they are trying to get something to combat the offer Microsoft put up?

A free $199 Xbox with any purchase of a computer over $699 is quite a steal considering the Macbook starts at $949 for a $199 (iPod) discount.

juicedropsdeuce
May 27, 2011, 11:55 AM
:apple:
They need to clear excess iPad2 inventory b/c it looks like the iPad3 is in fact coming out in September.

acslater017
May 27, 2011, 11:56 AM
That's what has been the rumor for months now. No new hardware (Iphone) all Lion and probably iOS 5.

I'm glad that the focus will be on software. There are so many areas of iOS that need polishing - notifications, multitasking, voice, navigation, to become a truly A+ OS for the future.

I'm also really excited about Lion. Since Snow Leopard was more of a performance/polish thing, I haven't had the fun of discovering a new OS X update since 2007! There's nothing quite like exploring the new features of an OS release. :D:apple:

cvaldes
May 27, 2011, 11:57 AM
They need to clear excess iPad2 inventory b/c it looks like the iPad3 is in fact coming out in September.
What excess iPad 2 inventory?

You see them piling up on store shelves? Around the world?

Apple Expert
May 27, 2011, 12:03 PM

Ha Ha. Sounds like someone didn't get an iPad 2 because they heard iPad 3 was coming out that's better. They will change their mind when iPad 3 comes out and wait till iPad 4. :D

kazmac
May 27, 2011, 12:09 PM
That's a great promotion, of course you have to spend more to get it but...

Now for the MBA and the Mac Mini refreshes. :)

jonnysods
May 27, 2011, 12:10 PM
Whep. I bought a refurb this week. Even with the edu discount and discount on the iPod mine still came in cheaper after taxes.

Zyg4
May 27, 2011, 12:14 PM
I'm looking forward to this promotion. I was hoping it would start this week. I have a 10-day trip coming up and I'm wondering if I can buy a McB pro and 'return' and 're-purchase' the same machine with a free iPod or something when the promotion kicks off (assuming it is within the next 14 days...). It shouldn't be a hassle, but who knows?

r23w
May 27, 2011, 12:16 PM
$299 for a iPad 2 or like $150 for an iPad 1, would destroy android, especially since its going to the college students, their main market.

iRobby
May 27, 2011, 12:23 PM
They're not gonna discount the iPad. They can't even keep up with demand at full retail pricing. Their rollout to international markets is incomplete (i.e., the iPad is not sold in all the markets where they sell iPhones and iPod touches).

The only day that Apple might consider discounting iPads is their 24-hour holiday sale after Thanksgiving (Cyber Monday, I believe).

Does anyone know the how high the discounts were last year on Cyber Monday (Black Friday)

Apple Expert
May 27, 2011, 12:25 PM
I'm looking forward to this promotion. I was hoping it would start this week. I have a 10-day trip coming up and I'm wondering if I can buy a McB pro and 'return' and 're-purchase' the same machine with a free iPod or something when the promotion kicks off (assuming it is within the next 14 days...). It shouldn't be a hassle, but who knows?

You can. Just have to pay a restocking fee.

toddybody
Ha Ha. Sounds like someone didn't get an iPad 2 because they heard iPad 3 was coming out that's better. They will change their mind when iPad 3 comes out and wait till iPad 4. :D

Im "that person" occasionally...but the iPad 2 was too tempting for a non iPad 1 owner.

Full of Win
Once you begin to factor in taxes and MSPR pricing, this is no loner a 'deal' in many cases. MacMall is usually the better option, unless you are in a state they collet taxes from.

logandzwon
May 27, 2011, 12:29 PM
Once you begin to factor in taxes and MSPR pricing, this is no loner a 'deal' in many cases. MacMall is usually the better option, unless you are in a state they collet taxes from.

I thought you can get the back-to-school deal with a 3rd party vendor?

Or is that just for the free printer, .mac rebate, and iwork rebate?

edit;
I thought wrong, you have to order from the apple store

bpeeps
May 27, 2011, 12:45 PM

Pretty sure you'll be waiting till next year on that one, man.

starzplacez
May 27, 2011, 12:45 PM
this is the perfect place to insert some oatmeal... :D

click for bigger version..
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo152/starzplacez/AppleProduct.jpg (http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apple)

Zyg4
May 27, 2011, 12:46 PM
You can. Just have to pay a restocking fee.

I never heard about a re-stocking fee within the 14 days when you buy at the Apple Store (my university computer store does have a restocking fee, though).

cvaldes
May 27, 2011, 12:52 PM
Does anyone know the how high the discounts were last year on Cyber Monday (Black Friday)
The discounts are quite modest, varying from 5 to 10 percent. Not everything goes on sale, Apple is selective about what receives a discount.

basesloaded190
May 27, 2011, 12:55 PM

To a lot of people (myself included) it's not about the iPod, it's the fact that it's free and we can sell it on ebay and thus save $200 on our computer purchase.

LarryC
May 27, 2011, 01:13 PM

I would certainly hope so. If not, this crop of kids will have the extreme honor of purchasing the exact same laptop that other students purchased last year... and at the exact same price. Components and specs that are at least one year old and being sold for the same price as when the current MacBook really was a new computer. Steve Jobs can use his famous reality distortion field all he wants to, but I'm not buying it!

gLaDiAtOr73
May 27, 2011, 01:13 PM
probably a dumb question but is this only available thru apple.com or do other online retailers (like amazon) participate via a rebate form?

BJMRamage
May 27, 2011, 01:15 PM
I doubt they WILL include the iPad.
I doubt they NEED to include the iPad.

HOWEVER, if they did, the iPad (already selling like hotcakes) would be flying off the shelves and garner even more iOS numbers to tout at keynotes. As stated above, this would get the iPad which already seems cool and very much wanted and even more popular item....and one that will be pushed aside when teh next revision comes out and that owners wants the latest and greatest.

win, win, win for Apple if they did it

Trauma1
May 27, 2011, 01:16 PM
I never heard about a re-stocking fee within the 14 days when you buy at the Apple Store (my university computer store does have a restocking fee, though).

There used to be a 10% restocking fee for opened items with a serial number (computers, iPods, iPads, iPhones). This was policy for years.

They only stopped it a few months ago. This was, in part, to push for Personal Set Up, where one would obviously have to open the box before leaving the store.

Peteman100
May 27, 2011, 01:36 PM
Discounting the iPad would push a lot of sales

gLaDiAtOr73
May 27, 2011, 02:01 PM
probably a dumb question but is this only available thru apple.com or do other online retailers (like amazon) participate via a rebate form?
anyone know???

Apple Expert
May 27, 2011, 02:03 PM
anyone know???

It's up the the vendor. They don't always offer the same deal as apple.

LarryC
May 27, 2011, 02:28 PM

I believe the resellers like Mac Mall offers the same deal while Apple is running a promotion. I may be wrong about this, but I don't think so.

endhalf
May 27, 2011, 02:50 PM

Nope, the right time would be actually after back to school promotions :/. As much as I'd love to buy new MB/MBA in time, I doubt they will start selling new units with discount right away.

Oh god, Apple, show us your refreshed MB/MBA and take my money! :D I check this site everyday since my register time to sniff around refreshed units.

spcdust
May 27, 2011, 02:56 PM
I honestly think this "rumour" has as much foundation as a house built on sand. Basically the Back-To-School promo historically launches around this time of year, therefore last week MacRumours reports that it's likely to launch this week because of the Apple Store revamp - it doesn't. Now they say it may launch at WWDC and, to add a little extra spice, someone says it may include the iPad. Now, like all of us, I like a rumour - however this "report" has about as much validity as any of our random postings on the forum.

Of late the quality of rumours on MacRumours has been some what lacking and more often they are just recycled stories from other rumour sites no matter the quality of the source.

mrzeigler
May 27, 2011, 02:56 PM
I don't expect the discount to be extended to the iPad, but if it is ... perfect! I've been holding off on ordering an iMac & iPad so I could get the freebie iPod. But I since I already have an iPod touch, an extra $200 off the bill would be more welcome!

gLaDiAtOr73
May 27, 2011, 03:17 PM
just re-sell the ipod and put that money towards a new ipad if thats what you really want.

charlituna
May 27, 2011, 03:23 PM

Not likely to happen.

They can't help up with the iPad demand

And they don't give any kind of discounts on the iPhone other then the carrier deal

smartalic34
May 27, 2011, 03:53 PM
I'm chomping at the bit to replace my 2006 MBP... just waiting for the back-to-school promo to start and Lion's release date to be announced. 13" MBP + ipod touch here I come!

If Lion's gonna be released in June, I'll wait, otherwise, I'll have to buy it separately...

iMikeT
May 27, 2011, 04:39 PM
Back-to-school promotion announced at WWDC keynote, highly unlikely. Announcing something like this retail promotion will only take the focus away from Mac OS X Lion and iOS 5. However, Apple updating their website the Tuesday after the keynote is not out of the question.

iPad discount, keep dreaming.

KylePowers
May 27, 2011, 05:36 PM
Omg please announce a new MBA!

Don't particularly care for an iPod Touch (I have an iPhone 4), nor an iPad 2 (I have one)... so I'd sell that jank as quickly as possible.

Sweet deal though if it's true. I wish I got $200 off my iPad 2 purchase >_<

Icaras
May 27, 2011, 05:47 PM
Ahhh, Apple's Back to School sale...the time of the year when MR members desperately plead with their friends in college for the discount.

Wait, you have to actually be in college to get the discount???

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:D

AbyssImpact
May 27, 2011, 05:55 PM
$200 discount on iPhone 4 would be awesome.

ciTiger
May 27, 2011, 06:16 PM
If this refers to the iPad2 it is a major discount... This alone will increase the iPad sales... But they don't even have iPads in stock so it is hard to believe.

ryokun6
May 27, 2011, 08:01 PM
I went to the Apple Store today, and they're out of iPads except the 64GB model.
I also find this highly unlikely.

caspersoong
May 27, 2011, 08:39 PM
Hopefully this comes to more countries...

natynate15
May 27, 2011, 08:50 PM
The MacBook's Education Price has been lowered to $899 from $949, just thought id let you guys know

AidenShaw
May 27, 2011, 08:56 PM
The MacBook's Education Price has been lowered to $899 from $949, just thought id let you guys know

Who is "id" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id,_ego,_and_super-ego)?

LarryC
May 27, 2011, 09:00 PM

I'm glad to hear that. They need to lower the price. You might be buying a "new" computer, but on the inside, those components certainly aren't new! Until Apple updates the MacBook, it is overpriced! They also need to fix its I/O as well, not to mention a much desired return of the illuminated keyboard. Yeah I know, that will likely never happen :(

mdgm
May 27, 2011, 09:41 PM
The iPad is too expensive. If they offer a discount on the iPad when purchased with a Mac that would make the pricing about right. If they do offer a discount on the iPad lets hope this all happens outside the US when the promo is on next year.

karatekidk
May 27, 2011, 10:30 PM
With a MBA refresh, I'd definitely take advantage of the promo. Oh, in Japan they excluded MBA 11"... please don't do the same thing here, Apple!

skier777
May 27, 2011, 11:01 PM
Honestly, what difference does it make. Last year i sold the ipod for almost full MSRP, and lost maybe 10 bucks.
Anyone could do the same and apply the $190 towards an ipad.

It does help that I live in a tax free state...

ntrigue
May 28, 2011, 02:02 AM
I believe it. $200 off a $499 iPad 2 is no different on the balance sheet than a free $200 iPod Touch.

pabrt
May 28, 2011, 03:34 AM
I believe it. $200 off a $499 iPad 2 is no different on the balance sheet than a free $200 iPod Touch.

it has less to do with the balance sheet directly, and more to do with what stock they're trying to clear

ipads have high demand and there is no incentive to raise that demand. old ipod stock, however, have lower demand that will only lower when they release the new ipods at WWDC

spcdust
May 28, 2011, 04:54 AM
....when they release the new ipods at WWDC

They won't be releasing any new iPods at WWDC - wrong event, wrong time.

smartalic34
May 28, 2011, 08:48 AM
They won't be releasing any new iPods at WWDC - wrong event, wrong time.

September is when Apple usually releases new iPods... but yes, the iPod promotion is designed to clear stock to make way for new ones, which is why it doesn't make sense to include iPads in the deal.

Trauma1
May 28, 2011, 01:15 PM
Are people forgetting that in order to be eligible for the $200 discount/mail-in-rebate, the iPod Touch always had to be on the SAME receipt as the computer? Seeing as how the iPad 2 is still in short supply, there's no way there will be enough to go around to purchase both at the same time, either online or in retail stores.

sn
May 28, 2011, 02:17 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think the people saying that apple don't need to discount iPads should remember that this isn't about selling more iPads. It's about selling more macs. Cheap iPads will probably sell at least as many macs as free iPods will.

kdimitt
May 28, 2011, 02:28 PM
Everyone seems to think they know exactly how many iPad's Apple has stocked. I love how everyone that reads and posts in this forum have to be Apple Insiders. Because I know people are much smarter than to post things are that purely speculatory, and in no way be 100% certain...right?

Bonilla
May 28, 2011, 02:52 PM
Hey I am new here, but I was waiting this promo to buy a new MBP 13 and iPad 2 32GB and I can't wait and I bought it yesterday.

Does any one know if I can pause my purchased until 6 June and get the promo or I need to cancel it?
Wait until arrive and return it?

I will be glad to know what to do with your experience.

Thank u guys.

Trauma1
May 28, 2011, 03:45 PM
Everyone seems to think they know exactly how many iPad's Apple has stocked. I love how everyone that reads and posts in this forum have to be Apple Insiders. Because I know people are much smarter than to post things are that purely speculatory, and in no way be 100% certain...right?

Don't tell anybody...but I have really good inside sources where I get my information. The first one is this website called store.apple.com. It says the iPad 2 backordered by 1-2 weeks as of now. The other source is this place called the Apple retail store. I have visited/called several, and they say "We don't have any iPad 2s." They also tell me that as soon as they arrive they sell out.

Don't tell anyone.

kdimitt
May 28, 2011, 05:49 PM
Don't tell anybody...but I have really good inside sources where I get my information. The first one is this website called store.apple.com. It says the iPad 2 backordered by 1-2 weeks as of now. The other source is this place called the Apple retail store. I have visited/called several, and they say "We don't have any iPad 2s." They also tell me that as soon as they arrive they sell out.

Don't tell anyone.

I was waiting for that, haha. That's great, you don't think they could say that because maybe they want stock for later. The apple stores are stocked by Apple and they are only given as many as they think they could move or want to move. Maybe Apple wants iPad's in advance for this promotion. All the same, you don't know, you aren't a part of Apple, stop pretending like you know all the inner-workings.

Sincerely,
Reality

-LikesMac-
May 28, 2011, 06:00 PM
You have to ACTUALLY BE GOING TO COLLEGE or whatever to get the promotion?

:(

pabrt
May 28, 2011, 06:38 PM
I was waiting for that, haha. That's great, you don't think they could say that because maybe they want stock for later. The apple stores are stocked by Apple and they are only given as many as they think they could move or want to move. Maybe Apple wants iPad's in advance for this promotion. All the same, you don't know, you aren't a part of Apple, stop pretending like you know all the inner-workings.

Sincerely,
Reality

why would apple hold back stock when there is clear demand for the product?

they could just sell them full price and make more money

not to mention there is obviously more stock of ipods simply because of the size differences and due to supply considerations

Trauma1
May 28, 2011, 07:36 PM

Sincerely,
Reality

If they're holding back stock, then those units are inventory, not supply. Two different things. And no, I'm not claiming knowledge of their inventory. This still does not change the fact that at this moment, the supply is short, whether it is by one, one hundred, or one thousand units.

I never said I was/wasn't involved in their inner-workings. I'm just restating a widely establish fact (from official Apple indicators) that you seem to be dismissing as mere speculation.

hayesk
May 28, 2011, 07:38 PM
WWDC is not the place to announce sales promotions. It may happen around that time, but Apple's isn't wasting the audience at WWDC for that.

Trauma1
May 28, 2011, 07:45 PM
why would apple hold back stock when there is clear demand for the product?

To maintain (and possibly even increase) demand, making it easier to market.

kdimitt
May 28, 2011, 09:42 PM
If they're holding back stock, then those units are inventory, not supply. Two different things. And no, I'm not claiming knowledge of their inventory. This still does not change the fact that at this moment, the supply is short, whether it is by one, one hundred, or one thousand units.

I never said I was/wasn't involved in their inner-workings. I'm just restating a widely establish fact (from official Apple indicators) that you seem to be dismissing as mere speculation.

Duly noted on the inventory, good catch. You were claiming knowledge by implication. I was not saying that Apple's statement of low inventory was speculation but they may say they are low on inventory but does that make it true? I know that sounds somewhat stupid but if Apple wanted to restrict sales (which they may very well want to, unlikely but it's possible) and then come out and say they have plenty. That would be stupid to say the least. My objective was to make the point that while indicators may point towards a fact and even if it comes straight from the corporations PR Rep or Exec or whoever, does that make it certain? The answer is no, only Apple Exec and suppliers would know for certain.

This is the same thing as government agencies, or sketchy corporations. You should always being skeptical of what you are told.

I respect opinion as much as the next person, but some people get on these forum's and spout opinion and speculation like it's 100% fact. There needs to be a reality check once in awhile. Just so you don't think I'm incompetent, I do agree with you that they are low on stock and it would make more sense to supply them to make the money, but I felt like the point should still be made.

Trauma1
May 28, 2011, 11:56 PM
Duly noted on the inventory, good catch. You were claiming knowledge by implication. I was not saying that Apple's statement of low inventory was speculation but they may say they are low on inventory but does that make it true? I know that sounds somewhat stupid but if Apple wanted to restrict sales (which they may very well want to, unlikely but it's possible) and then come out and say they have plenty. That would be stupid to say the least. My objective was to make the point that while indicators may point towards a fact and even if it comes straight from the corporations PR Rep or Exec or whoever, does that make it certain? The answer is no, only Apple Exec and suppliers would know for certain.

This is the same thing as government agencies, or sketchy corporations. You should always being skeptical of what you are told.

I respect opinion as much as the next person, but some people get on these forum's and spout opinion and speculation like it's 100% fact. There needs to be a reality check once in awhile. Just so you don't think I'm incompetent, I do agree with you that they are low on stock and it would make more sense to supply them to make the money, but I felt like the point should still be made.

I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying (nor do I think you're incompetent) but you are confusing inventory as supply. I'm talking about supply. These are the units that a company is willing to distribute for sale. These are the ones in shipping centers, in transit, and on the metaphorical shelves ready to be sold to consumers. At this moment there is not enough supply for the consumers who are waiting at the point of sale.

The delivery time is an estimate. And it's most likely on the conservative side. Is it a reflection of every single pre-consumer iPad produced and packaged? No, just the ones they are willing to distribute for sale at the time (supply). The rest are inventory, and are held for various reasons (maintain demand, create a "buzz", emergency reserves, increased demand anticipation, ease manufacturing constraints, etc). That's different from supply.

spcdust
May 29, 2011, 04:17 AM
So let's clarify some things:

1. The Back-To-School promotion is not a given. It may not happen, although historically it has but we cannot assume it will happen.

2. I cannot see Apple announcing it at WWDC. WWDC is not the forum to launch marketing inititiatves, it's a developers conference. If Apple don't even bother doing any kind of event for the new iMac or the new MacBook Pro are they really going to make a song and dance on such a promotion.

3. The idea of them offering the iPad is just that - some bored Mac "Journailist" skimming the forums and feeding us what some want to hear - basically dropping a line saying "hey, they might even include the iPad" - now watch the fervent posters fiercly debating that pie in the sky prospect.

4. If the promotion does launch (and I hope it does) I still say it's likely to be this Tuesday. On the same token maybe not, maybe WWDC week, maybe never - who knows?

Bonilla
May 29, 2011, 03:47 PM
Hello I am new here, but I was waiting this promo to buy a new MBP 13 and iPad 2 32GB and I can't wait and I bought it yesterday.

Does any one know if I can pause my purchased until 6 June and get the promo or I need to cancel it?

Thank u guys.

Apple 26.2
May 29, 2011, 05:54 PM
Hello I am new here, but I was waiting this promo to buy a new MBP 13 and iPad 2 32GB and I can't wait and I bought it yesterday.

Thank u guys.

Watch the double posts... some peeps don't like that much.

The promo hasn't been announced (and no one really knows if or when it'll be announced)... if you need the gear, you're better off holding on to what you have instead of returning your stuff and hoping there's a promo.

On the other hand, Apple usually offers a two week grace period during which you're be able to have the promo price applied to your purchase. But again, we're back to the *if* of a promo being announced.

Good luck, man!

Bonilla
May 29, 2011, 08:31 PM
Watch the double posts... some peeps don't like that much.

The promo hasn't been announced (and no one really knows if or when it'll be announced)... if you need the gear, you're better off holding on to what you have instead of returning your stuff and hoping there's a promo.

On the other hand, Apple usually offers a two week grace period during which you're be able to have the promo price applied to your purchase. But again, we're back to the *if* of a promo being announced.

Good luck, man!

Thank very much for the answer I appreciate it a lot

LarryC
May 30, 2011, 12:27 AM
Is the WWDC the type of event where Apple might unveil something like iWork11? I've been putting off the purchase of a new Mac until several things are released.

OS X Lion - I figured it would be better to get it with my purchase instead of something like a $129.00 expense, after the purchase of a new Mac!

iWork11 - Same thing. I'm cheap and I don't want to have to buy the old model just to turn right around and buy it again.

And to see what the new MacBook and Mac-Mini actually bring to the table. And what they don't.

I have begun to think that there might not actually be a new MacBook. But surely they wouldn't get rid of the Mini? Would they? I used to scoff at the Mini, but after reading so many positive things about it on these forums I have decided to give it some consideration. Oh well, time will tell.

Apple Expert
May 30, 2011, 12:37 AM
Is the WWDC the type of event where Apple might unveil something like iWork11? I've been putting off the purchase of a new Mac until several things are released.

OS X Lion - I figured it would be better to get it with my purchase instead of something like a $129.00 expense, after the purchase of a new Mac!

iWork11 - Same thing. I'm cheap and I don't want to have to buy the old model just to turn right around and buy it again.

And to see what the new MacBook and Mac-Mini actually bring to the table. And what they don't.

I have begun to think that there might not actually be a new MacBook. But surely they wouldn't get rid of the Mini? Would they? I used to scoff at the Mini, but after reading so many positive things about it on these forums I have decided to give it some consideration. Of well, time will tell.

Well it seems like your trying to get the most for your money. I say hold out for next years MBP since it will better. However I'm sure the one after that will be better. It seems like you might be waiting a while if your always trying to get the most and best for your dollar.

LarryC
May 30, 2011, 12:43 AM
Well it seems like your trying to get the most for your money. I say hold out for next years MBP since it will better. However I'm sure the one after that will be better. It seems like you might be waiting a while if your always trying to get the most and best for your dollar.

I do appreciate your feedback. It is perfectly okay to use the most accurate term available. I'm cheap:D It's true, I am. I guess I'll have to read up on the speculations concerning next years MBP. As long as my trusty G4 keeps running, problem free, I really could wait. Thank you.

P.S. Apple Expert, I did view your public profile and I see that you have a 13" MBP. I was just wondering if you would mind if I asked you if you are happy with that? I know it has the illuminated keyboard. Are you happy with the Intel integrated graphics? I really have considered going ahead and just getting a MBP. I know (or suspect) that the new MB (if it ever happens) will probably be an i3 Sandy Bridge with the same graphics setup as the MBP. Of course, the MB also gets you Firewire 800 and Thunderbolt. That is a good bit extra for another $200.00.

frifra
May 30, 2011, 08:17 AM
Hi,

I know it's just a speculation about the iPad being part of the back-to-school promotion. But if the iPad will be part of that deal, what would that mean:

a) Get discount on an iPad2, when buying a Mac/MacBook

b) Get a free/or discounted iPod, when buying an iPad2

c) Just discounted iPads2 ?

Thank you.

Trauma1
May 30, 2011, 01:01 PM

Previously with Snow Leopard (someone correct me if I'm wrong) the cost of the upgrade disk from 10.5 Leopard was $29. However, if you bought a new Mac up to six months prior to the release of Snow Leopard it was $10, which I believe was to cover the cost of shipping.

LarryC
May 30, 2011, 01:12 PM
Previously with Snow Leopard (someone correct me if I'm wrong) the cost of the upgrade disk from 10.5 Leopard was $29. However, if you bought a new Mac up to six months prior to the release of Snow Leopard it was $10, which I believe was to cover the cost of shipping.

I was basing that $129.00 price on what I can remember paying for other versions of OS X. I started using OS X somewhere around 10.0.2. That one was free and the others I had to buy. I was/am unable to upgrade my current Mac to Snow Leopard because my hardware did not meet the minimum requirements. If I am wrong about the price being somewhere north of $100.00 then I will blame that on my failing memory :D I believe that the low cost of the Snow Leopard upgrade was an unusually low one though. Since it was not considered a full-OS change or something like that. I could be wrong though. In this case, it would be nice to be wrong. I'll just have to wait and see. Thank you, for the feedback.

Trauma1
May 30, 2011, 01:28 PM
If I am wrong about the price being somewhere north of $100.00 then I will blame that on my failing memory :D I believe that the low cost of the Snow Leopard upgrade was an unusually low one though. Since it was not considered a full-OS change or something like that. I could be wrong though. In this case, it would be nice to be wrong. I'll just have to wait and see. Thank you, for the feedback.

A full version of Tiger was $129. But while the $29 Snow Leopard disk was a complete install, it was only an upgrade (from Leopard). Tiger users had to buy the $169 Boxed Set.

spcdust
May 30, 2011, 01:44 PM
Lion is very likely to be a full priced OS upgrade - I seem to have the price of 100-129 as the usual price point here in the UK. Snow Leopard was an exception of only 25-29 to owners of Leopard as it was regarded by Apple as just a "under the hood" modification of Leopard and not a "full" OS upgrade.

LarryC
May 30, 2011, 02:00 PM
It makes me wonder where they are going to go after "Lion" since the lion is supposed to be the king of the jungle? Maybe Tigon and Liger? Not that it matters of course, just curious.

Trauma1
May 30, 2011, 08:01 PM
Snow Leopard was an exception of only 25-29 to owners of Leopard as it was regarded by Apple as just a "under the hood" modification of Leopard and not a "full" OS upgrade.

No, the $29/29 Snow Leopard disk is a full Mac OS installation. Apple doesn't want you to know that.

http://allthingsd.com/20090826/apple-changes-leopards-spots/

ten-oak-druid
May 30, 2011, 11:28 PM
Get ready for another increase in market share for Apple personal computers.

spcdust
May 31, 2011, 03:08 AM
No, the $29/29 Snow Leopard disk is a full Mac OS installation. Apple doesn't want you to know that.

http://allthingsd.com/20090826/apple-changes-leopards-spots/

Okay, when I said not a "full" OS upgrade I purposely put the word full in inverted commas. It was a full OS installation albeit an evolution of Leopard and definitely regarded by Apple as not one that justified a full price upgrade cost hence the 29/$29 cost for Leopard users to upgrade.

spcdust
May 31, 2011, 04:01 AM
Probably nothing, however if you go to the UK Apple Education Store and then try to clink the "School or any other education establishment" link to purchase anything it's coming back with the "Oops! An Error Occurred". This link usually connects and doesn't require you to be connected to your campus network.

tsment
May 31, 2011, 04:11 AM
Probably nothing, however if you go to the UK Apple Education Store and then try to clink the "School or any other education establishment" link to purchase anything it's coming back with the "Oops! An Error Occurred". This link usually connects and doesn't require you to be connected to your campus network.

Same on the German Apple Online Store!

eSudio
May 31, 2011, 04:19 AM
No edu store in germany at the moment?
Edit: never mind

mikeytwice
May 31, 2011, 07:08 AM
US edu store seems to be working fine...

silentnite
May 31, 2011, 07:20 AM
This why I tell all my Mac newbie friends & family to wait. It's a two for one deal why not. If you don't need the iPod touch sell it for the cash. Simple as that.:D

Calbretto
May 31, 2011, 08:03 AM
Any news for today? I had my fingers crossed that the sale would begin.

afd
May 31, 2011, 09:08 AM
looks like it'll be next week after all. Another week with only a dead iMac.:(

chokoret
May 31, 2011, 11:26 AM
do they still accept return for used imac within 14 days without restocking fee?
I was waiting to get an imac with this promo and I need to get an imac within this week..:(

rdees12
May 31, 2011, 11:32 AM
do they still accept return for used imac within 14 days without restocking fee?
I was waiting to get an imac with this promo and I need to get an imac within this week..:(

Chokoret,

I posted this message on a different forum but, after you read through it, you might be inclined to order today. My feelings are that if it's not announced by WWDC then it's not going to be announced at all. I ordered mine yesterday and it will be here by Friday. Here is my post from yesterday. Hope it helps ease your mind;-)

Well, after chatting with an Apple rep online for the past half-hour I just pulled the trigger on a new 27" iMac. Here are some highlights of our conversation. Farther down are some chat transcripts.

1. Lion won't be released until late summer.
2. Traditionally, you don't get a discount on a new OS if it comes out within 14 days of your purchase.
2. If you buy now and the BTS promotion begins within 14 days of when you receive your computer, all you have to do is call Apple and tell them your situation. You'll get in on the deal.
3. He wasn't sure if an iPad discount would be available or not.

Here are some segments of our conversation:

Me: I'm looking at buying a 27" iMac from the online store. If Lion comes out in the next few weeks, will I be eligible for a discount on it?
Dave: While I don't have information on upcoming products and their pricing (or discount/upgrade options), I can tell you that historically, we've not really offered a discount on our OS upgrades like that.

Me: So you probably can't tell me if it would behoove me to wait until, say, tomorrow, to make my purchase? (I was talking about the BTS here, he was talking about Lion).
Dave: Lion's not set to come out until the late Summer, so I wouldn't wait for that.

Dave: When were you planning on ordering your new iMac?
Me: Well, I've been waiting for the Back to School sale if there is one. So as soon as possible.
Dave: Ah, understood. While we haven't announced that promotion for this year yet, keep in mind that you would have a 14 day return policy on your order.
Dave: With that in mind, you could conceivably place your order today to have the benefits of receiving your order sooner, rather than later.
Dave: And, if the promotion occurred within the 14 days of receiving your system, you could utilize that return policy to retroactively take advantage of the promotion.
Me: I understand that. If I knew the sale would occur within 14 days I'd place my order right now. I really don't want to have to deal with returning stuff to you, etc. Isn't that what I'd have to do? Package up my computer, return it to them, then order again?
Dave: No, it would just be a quick call to customer service to electronically (and retroactively) process the transaction.
You: I realize you can't actually tell me that/or if the promotion is going to take place but I've waited eight years to upgrade I suppose I can wait a few more hours/days. Regarding what you just told me...say I order it now and the promotion comes out tomorrow or during WWDC. I could just call up Apple, explain my situation and they'd allow me in on the deal?
Dave: Exactly.
Dave: I've seen it happen before, and we absolutely are able to work with you in those situations
You: Hmm. So it's a bit of a gamble for me. Traditionally, the sale, when it does happen, falls within the last week of May/early June...usually on a Tuesday. So if it IS going to happen, it sounds like today would fall within the 14 days. Is that a gamble YOU would take?
Dave: If it were me, I'd weigh what was most important to me:
Dave: A potential iPod rebate (historically, that's what the promotion has been), or the benefit of receiving your new computer that much sooner.
Dave: Although I can't speculate on the timing of the promotion, or whether it's happening...
Dave: ...if I *had* to, and I were a betting man, I'd wager it's more likely that it'll appear within your 14 day window.

Me: Okay, one more question. Any chance, if there was a sale, that an iPad discount would be an option?
Dave: That's something that I've been wondering, myself, but really wouldn't want to speculate on.

Dave: Now, let me set you up with some information that you would need if, hypothetically, some sort of promotion drops on us in the next 14 days.
(or, rather 14 days of receiving your order)
Dave: If that were to happen, the number for Customer Service and Sales Support is 1-800-676-2775. Give them a call, and they'll be happy to help get you taken care of.

That's pretty much the story. Maybe, after eight years of waiting, I have buck fever and was reading too much into what he was saying. I guess my thinking was is that if the BTS sale IS going to happen it will be within 14 days and I'll not only get the iPod discount but get my computer sooner. Then again, I could get stung. I guess that's what I get for getting the holiday off and dabbling with an Apple rep with my free time;-)

chokoret
May 31, 2011, 10:05 PM
Chokoret,

I posted this message on a different forum but, after you read through it, you might be inclined to order today. My feelings are that if it's not announced by WWDC then it's not going to be announced at all. I ordered mine yesterday and it will be here by Friday. Here is my post from yesterday. Hope it helps ease your mind;-)

Thanks! it helped a lot to make decision. im ordering it now!

Bonilla
May 31, 2011, 10:29 PM
Thanks! it helped a lot to make decision. im ordering it now!

It is goog to read it, because my MBP it's going to arrive next thursday June 2 so counting the days if BTS will appear it must be before June 16 for sure.
So I will have a chance for the promo.
:D:apple:

philipma1957
Jun 2, 2011, 06:59 AM

only apple

Krovem
Jun 2, 2011, 04:20 PM
I cant wait, I really want the MBA.

lgneon1234
Jun 5, 2011, 09:40 PM
Does anyone know if the promotion will start tommorow?

LarryC
Jun 5, 2011, 09:56 PM
Does anyone know if the promotion will start tommorow?

I don't know. I do know that they had better start their back to school thing pretty darned soon because Microsoft has already started theirs. Buy a PC with Windows and get a free X-Box. Come on Apple, quit dragging your feet.

silentnite
Jun 5, 2011, 11:01 PM
Just got a new Macbook pro a week ago wondering if I'm eligible for the back to school promotion or would my local apple store honor my receipt if decided to buy a iPod touch.

charlituna
Jun 6, 2011, 12:14 AM
Just got a new Macbook pro a week ago wondering if I'm eligible for the back to school promotion or would my local apple store honor my receipt if decided to buy a iPod touch.

it is a rebate based promo and thus you have to have the purchase of both the computer and the ipod on the same receipt.

So they will likely honor it if you are within the two week period for doing a return. Why? Because if they don't, they know that you will return the computer (especially now that there is no open box return fee) and then buy a new one with the ipod touch. Thus costing them a unit they could have sold to someone else (plus having to deal with the returned unit). It's not worth it.

This of course assumes that they start it this week and not in another week or more. Cause at that point they will invoke 'prior purchases don't count' and refuse to do a return of the old one

Also, to all the folks saying that they better start it now cause Microsoft started a promo for a free Xbox. Keep in mind all the rumors that Apple will include the ipad this year. I doubt it but folks won't take any answer but the announcement. So many of them will wait to see what is up with that. At which point Microsoft loses any 'we started first' advantage. Once Apple says no to the ipad part then yeah a few folks will likely go Windows cause it's cheaper. but some might still go Apple.

DeChrii
Jun 6, 2011, 10:49 AM
I don't know. I do know that they had better start their back to school thing pretty darned soon because Microsoft has already started theirs. Buy a PC with Windows and get a free X-Box. Come on Apple, quit dragging your feet.

Thats true but apple doesnt increase their mac prices with this promotion :p
If you take a look at dell's website, all the laptops that come with xbox's are priced higher than the same laptop without the xbox so basically your paying for the xbox without knowing it. There trying to trick us!

LarryC
Jun 6, 2011, 11:13 AM
Thats true but apple doesnt increase their mac prices with this promotion :p
If you take a look at dell's website, all the laptops that come with xbox's are priced higher than the same laptop without the xbox so basically your paying for the xbox without knowing it. There trying to trick us!

Ha. I didn't know that, but it does make sense. Personally, I'm not looking for a Windows laptop or an x-box. You know what would be funny, we should ask microsoft if our purchase of a mac laptop qualifies since it can run windows. I know that they don't do it anymore, but you used to be able to buy an apple laptop with windows pre-installed. I don't remember if that was directly from apple or if it was from a reseller like Mac Mall. How things do change.

lgneon1234
Jun 6, 2011, 04:18 PM
Rumors first started saying it would start the 25th of may, which passed, then rumors said it would start june 6th, the first day of the WWDC where they announced everything. Apple already announced Mac osx lion, ios 5 and icloud. Should I just buy my mac now? If they were to announce, wouldnt they have announced it now..?

STOCK411
Jun 6, 2011, 05:16 PM
Rumors first started saying it would start the 25th of may, which passed, then rumors said it would start june 6th, the first day of the WWDC where they announced everything. Apple already announced Mac osx lion, ios 5 and icloud. Should I just buy my mac now? If they were to announce, wouldnt they have announced it now..?

same boat as you... i will try and wait till middle/end of june and if nothing then i will just get it.. since school for most does not start till middle of AUG

hockey89
Jun 6, 2011, 08:38 PM
are the macbook pro builds going to change later in the summer? new chipset etc.?

smartalic34
Jun 6, 2011, 09:10 PM
are the macbook pro builds going to change later in the summer? new chipset etc.?

I don't think the next revision is going to be until early next year, when Ivy Bridge, the 22-nm die shrink of Sandy Bridge, is released.

Pez2008
Jun 6, 2011, 11:36 PM
same boat as you... i will try and wait till middle/end of june and if nothing then i will just get it.. since school for most does not start till middle of AUG

BAH, I've been waiting the last two weeks, and I figure since WWDC has come and gone I'm guessing the promotion is not happening.

When I first came across this page on the Apple site I thought that it applied to last years promotion, but looking at the no-date-specified URL and considering that the promo hasn't happened yet...I think we're SOL. iFail. :mad:

http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/campaigns/back_to_school

mikeytwice
Jun 7, 2011, 08:53 AM
BAH, I've been waiting the last two weeks, and I figure since WWDC has come and gone I'm guessing the promotion is not happening.

When I first came across this page on the Apple site I thought that it applied to last years promotion, but looking at the no-date-specified URL and considering that the promo hasn't happened yet...I think we're SOL. iFail. :mad:

http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/campaigns/back_to_school

If I remember correctly, it's pretty much the same page they use every year after the promotion ends.

Artillerist
Jun 7, 2011, 09:29 AM
l guess nothing mentioned at WWDC means I have to wait even longer and I want to order my new Imac soon

Calbretto
Jun 7, 2011, 01:00 PM
I still have some hope left that the sale will start some time this afternoon. Maybe at 3pm... when its noon on the west coast. I hope... :o

charlituna
Jun 8, 2011, 09:47 AM
I still have some hope left that the sale will start some time this afternoon. Maybe at 3pm... when its noon on the west coast. I hope... :o

They don't do things like that. It's top of the morning on promos. Avoids the angry parents that were there that morning and didn't get the whatever.

Frankly I wouldn't be surprise if there is no summer wide promo. The computers are selling just fine without it and they can just stop promotion early to avoid overflow. Heck with the earthquake in Japan they might not have as many components to build touches anyway.

What would probably be more useful is a general move to better discounts. They upp'd the white macbook from $50 to $100 here in the US. Why not bump all the computers up a level. Make Apple Care a flat 50% off its cost. Maybe even open up the student thing to high school kids (if they can show a dated photo id from their school or a letter of some time with the date and name etc). perhaps even toss out a little 2-3% discount on things like airports, power plugs, even ipods and ipads. That would be better for many students and their parents than a free ipod they probably actually don't need cause they have 5 already (or an iphone)