PDA

View Full Version : A Handwriting Stylus...

Brandrune
May 27, 2011, 01:09 PM
Hello all,

My request is perhaps a little unusual, yet most of the Stylus threads I have seen posted are usually due to cold weather (therefore needing to wear gloves) or for drawing. I would really like to start using my iPad 2 as a notepad therefore doing away with sheets of paper yet this is cannot be done with a finger whatsoever. Therefore over the past two weeks I have started to research.

The best two products I have found from reviews are:

- Wacom's Bamboo Stylus
- e.stylo

Does anyone have any experience with these products? Does anyone else have a stylus they use for writing with and works reasonably close to a normal pad and paper? I hope to be writing daily and up to 5 hours a day.

Thanks

madamocta
May 27, 2011, 01:42 PM
I have used neither of those products, but I can offer you some advice because I'm using my iPad for note taking myself. The most important thing when looking for a stylus for handwriting is that it has hard rubber tip, not one of those foam ones, like pogo sketch. The quality of writing also heavily relies on the app you use. I tried couple of them until I found the one that suits me best, and I didn't get the same handwriting result twice, although I used the same stylus for all of them.

Diveflo
May 27, 2011, 01:47 PM
Hi,

I use a boxwave stylus but I had to tweak it a little (found the tip in this forum) with nylon stretched around the top.
Now it works really (unexpectedly) well. I'm using Upad, the zoom function is amazing.

https://files.me.com/florian.g/y5dbjz

A pdf file from one of my lecture notes if you want to check out how small you can write using the zoom.

iLuvMyMacToo
May 27, 2011, 03:03 PM
I recommend iFaraday http://www.iFaraday.com/

xraytech
May 27, 2011, 03:36 PM
Google OStylus

Tobster3
May 27, 2011, 10:53 PM
See the below link. Kensington Virtuoso gets a good review for handwriting.

http://www.macworld.com/article/156560/2010/05/touchscreen_stylus_roundup.html

I currently have the Boxwave and have recently ordered the Kensington Virtuoso to see if it is better for handwriting notes. I will post a comparison when I receive the Kensington.

TheCheapGeek
May 27, 2011, 11:37 PM
I just did a review of the estylo on my site http://www.thecheapgeek.org/estylo-capacitive-ipad-stylus-review
Overall I am pretty happy with it.

Brandrune
May 30, 2011, 11:08 AM
@Diveflo: That is exactly what I want! Would you say it is just as easy to write on your iPad now than a piece of paper and a pen?

@TheCheapGeek: Does it handwrite nice and fine?

3goldens
May 30, 2011, 11:37 AM
I recommend iFaraday http://www.iFaraday.com/

Had you used other stylus's before settling on the ifaraday? Just wondering what makes this any different then a boxwave or targus, looks like a similar tip.

reputationZed
May 30, 2011, 05:06 PM
Google OStylus

I picked this one up a month or so ago, definetilty not the best for note taking. The OStylus feels more like an artists brush than a pen.

reputationZed
May 30, 2011, 05:12 PM
See the below link. Kensington Virtuoso gets a good review for handwriting.

http://www.macworld.com/article/156560/2010/05/touchscreen_stylus_roundup.html

I currently have the Boxwave and have recently ordered the Kensington Virtuoso to see if it is better for handwriting notes. I will post a comparison when I receive the Kensington.

I just ordered a pair of the SGP Kuel H10's based on this article. I'd been wanting to pick up the Wacom but every time I look it's back ordered.

gugy
May 30, 2011, 06:37 PM
I bought the e.Stylo and I end up a bit disappointed. While the concept is interesting I find it very hard to use. You have to have it to only at a certain degree in order to make it work. That's pretty annoying.

I have the Alupen and it's great BUT I want to buy the Bamboo because of the reputation of Wacom and all the great reviews so far.

h00ligan
May 31, 2011, 02:29 AM
Sears carries a targus for $10 in many local stores, which is a rebranded version of (forgetting the name) sold at best buy for $20. It's very very good.

xraytech
May 31, 2011, 02:11 PM
Sears carries a targus for $10 in many local stores, which is a rebranded version of (forgetting the name) sold at best buy for $20. It's very very good.

The BoxWave and Targus are identical.

Edit: Actually the BoxWave, Targus and Griffin are identical.

Tobster3
Jun 1, 2011, 04:10 AM
I received my Kensington Virtuoso yesterday.

Although I have yet to do any serious handwriting with a stylus, my initial thoughts are that the Kensington is only slightly better than the Boxwave, IMO. They writing is very similar using both stylus but I believe the writing with the Kensington is slightly neater. This is due to the Kensington being longer in length which gives more control than the Boxwave.

Having said that, I don't feel that I have found a Stylus yet that I am happy to start taking hand written notes.

3goldens
Jun 1, 2011, 12:37 PM
https://direct.wacom.com/stores/5/Bamboo%20Stylus_P1859.cfm

h00ligan
Jun 1, 2011, 03:54 PM
The BoxWave and Targus are identical.

Edit: Actually the BoxWave, Targus and Griffin are identical.

Yah boxwave was what I wAs thinking of. I don't use it all that much (still don't think there's a great app) but it works well when I do. And for $10 hard to beat I think.

Diveflo
Jun 2, 2011, 03:35 AM
@Diveflo: That is exactly what I want! Would you say it is just as easy to write on your iPad now than a piece of paper and a pen?

Not exactly the same because of the already mentioned zoom-mode. Without it your handwriting will be pretty large. But I think this is as good as it get's with a capacitive touch screen.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12047553&postcount=14

I used this guy's advice to make the stylus work for me.

LushMojo
Jun 2, 2011, 09:08 AM
https://direct.wacom.com/stores/5/Bamboo%20Stylus_P1859.cfm

Ordered mine through Amazon a month ago and just received word overnight that it might not be here until end of July (was supposed to ship by June 3). Cancelled and ordered via Wacom. Should be here in a few days. Thanks for posting the link!

Sonisk
Jun 2, 2011, 09:20 AM
Got my Bamboo yesterday, ordered from Wacom directly, and this thing feels so much better to use to me :)

3goldens
Jun 5, 2011, 06:30 PM
While waiting for the Wacom I ordered I've been using a few other stylus's to see the differences and try and decide which one I would eventually settle with.

My favorite was The Just Mobile Alum Stylus primarily because of the great grip.

I ordered this Monday and received it Friday from GleeMobile.com, and with very decent price of $19.51 using this coupon code: ALUPEN15 and free shipping!

I believe that was cheaper than Amazon.

The week before I ordered and received the SGP Stylus Pen Kuel H10 and the Targus both from Amazon.com for about $14.00 each with free Prime shipping.

These two just felt totally different, very thin, and while they both worked fine, I did like the Alum in the end. This worries me just a little now because from what I can tell the Wacom is thin as well.

I liked the thinner ones for surfing and just swiping pages, but for writing in the long run my hand was aching. Also the SGP stylus collapse's which is a nice feature if your looking for something small. Both attach to the ipad with a handy little headphone plug.

If you have stubby hands fingers, or tend to clutch your pen or are just uncomfortable using some of these thinner stylus's made for the Ipad, this is the thing your looking for!

You get a really great grip with this thick stylus. You feel like you have an actual writing instrument in your hand. When I was doing a lot of writing, back in the day, remember writing with real paper, I used always Mont Blanc thick roller ball pen, and this kind of mimics that kind of feel when writing.

Unlike some of the other smaller stylus's I used and found too thin and awkward after a long period of taking notes, I seemed to come back to the Alum because of the thickness, balance and weight.

It just feels better to write with for long periods of time. It also has been designed to have a good overall weight and balance. It makes the writing experience on the Ipad for me, a much more pleasant experience.

The instrument works perfectly on the screen of the Ipad. Very few mistakes were made while I was using it. Seemed to make very good contact with the screen and was able to interpret to the screen the natural motion of my hand and writing style.

I used a few different programs to test it out, Penultimate, Upad to name a few, they all worked quite well with this nicely crafted all aluminum product by Just Mobile.

Just Mobile did a great job with the overall design, the only thing I would have like was a way to attach it to the ipad.

Probably because it has some weight to it the headphone plug attachment like the Targus and SGP was probably out of the question. It does come with a very decent lesther pouch though. A really great product from these folks, highly recommend it!

So now I will wait for the Wacom and see how it fairs against this!

Will update hopefully next week!

porcupine8
Jun 6, 2011, 07:42 PM
You might see if the note taking App of your choice recommends a specific one. The dev of Notes Plus, for instance, recommends a targus/boxwave style stylus (with the tip like a hollow dome of rubber) with that app. I use this type for handwriting in a few different apps and like it quite a lot.

porcupine8
Jun 6, 2011, 07:44 PM

Just a note - how fine and smooth the writing is often has more to do with which app you use than which stylus.

3goldens
Jun 7, 2011, 12:04 AM
Got the Wacom today. Perfectly marvelous writing instrument. So worth every single cent. Writes like an actual pen should write on a tablet, een with a screen protector.

Great balance and feel to it, definitely thick enough barrel for my puny hands Was worried about if it would be too thin as I liked the feel of the Alum so much. Totally different, its not that thick mont blanc feeling but its certainly comfortable for long periods of writing.

I was surprised how great the tip is, very very precise, unlike all the others I have tried, no kidding, really amazing!

This is a real joy to use, it really and truly is. You will not be sorry if you pick this up. For me the search for a stylus over!

On another note would like to know what is the simplest quick note pad program people recommend, like the look of a yellow legal pad, but really want simple, no confusing little boxes, or areas to write in, something that has a good palm protection, and that is not penultimate! Just really sick of Brown!

KINetics
Jun 7, 2011, 12:08 AM
Got the Wacom today. Perfectly marvelous writing instrument. So worth every single cent. Writes like an actual pen should write on a tablet, een with a screen protector.

Great balance and feel to it, definitely thick enough barrel for my puny hands Was worried about if it would be too thin as I liked the feel of the Alum so much. Totally different, its not that thick mont blanc feeling but its certainly comfortable for long periods of writing.

I was surprised how great the tip is, very very precise, unlike all the others I have tried, no kidding, really amazing!

This is a real joy to use, it really and truly is. You will not be sorry if you pick this up. For me the search for a stylus over!

On another note would like to know what is the simplest quick note pad program people recommend, like the look of a yellow legal pad, but really want simple, no confusing little boxes, or areas to write in, something that has a good palm protection, and that is not penultimate! Just really sick of Brown!

It the tip squishy or ridged?

h00ligan
Jun 7, 2011, 01:03 AM

Penultimate for very fast scribbles. Cheap and works well as a digital pad.

lalanda
Jul 28, 2011, 03:30 AM
I have the Alupen and the e.stylo.

The Alupen is great but I found it too thick for handwriting. I still use it all the time for browsing, however (better than a finger).

The e.stylo is really impressive. The black end is the better for writing for my style, and I find if I am holding the iPad then I rarely have a contact problem.

I was suspicious of the e.stylo from reviews, but I have found it to be great.

doubletap
Jul 30, 2011, 09:57 AM
I use an RX iFarady stylus.

It's awesome. Just the lightest touch required to register. It glides very smoothly across the screen. Everyone who tries it loves it as well.

I did try a Pogo Sketch for like 10 minutes prior to ordering the iFaraday. Thought the Pogo was a POS and returned it.

dt

jsh1120
Jul 30, 2011, 10:34 AM
I use an RX iFarady stylus.

It's awesome. Don't need to press hardly at all for it to register. It glides very smoothly across the screen. Everyone who tries it loves it as well.

I did try a Pogo Sketch for like 10 minutes prior to ordering the iFaraday. Thought the Pogo was a POS and returned it.

dt

+1 Though I'm still looking for a solution (that I've begun to believe does not exist) that makes taking notes on the iPad as efficient as using a pen and paper, the RX iFaraday comes closest to feeling like a "real pen." Oddly, the manufacturer has tried to make the stylus as light as possible and I find I'd rather it had a bit more heft.

Akoae
Aug 2, 2011, 04:38 PM
Hey everybody, i found this project on Kickstarter http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/531383637/jot-capacitive-touch-stylus?play=1&ref=search , and I can tell you - looks great ( no wonder it is funded 2000 %). It is a chance for you to get is ASAP if you pledge for the project. I dont have to tell more, just take a look there and you will be impressed :). Peace out.

SchneiderMan
Aug 2, 2011, 05:12 PM
Jot for sure ;)

http://gagt.co/p8fjGL

Akoae
Aug 2, 2011, 07:10 PM
Jot for sure ;)

I posted a reply on the article page (gadgetmac.com, news) with a link for, what I think is, where the idea came from.

SaintsMac
Aug 3, 2011, 12:59 AM

I second this opinion!

yeyitskristin
Aug 3, 2011, 01:03 AM
I know Wacom makes a pen for the iPad. I've never purchased/used it but I have purchased Wacom's Bamboo tablet. It was solely for the purposes of animation and it did a wonderfully exceptional job. I'm sure that the pen for the iPad would work just as great though!

xraytech
Aug 3, 2011, 01:41 AM
Jot for sure ;)

Image (http://gagt.co/p8fjGL)

IS THAT OUT NOW?!?

I was a contributor on their Kickstarter page.

SchneiderMan
Aug 3, 2011, 01:51 AM
IS THAT OUT NOW?!?

I was a contributor on their Kickstarter page.

No it isn't. I got these as 'final prototypes' to review, which is up btw *wink*

King Julian
Aug 3, 2011, 01:35 PM
No it isn't. I got these as 'final prototypes' to review, which is up btw *wink*

Thanks for sharing with us.

One thing I have noticed in the "kick-starter" blogs on the progress of the pens is that nearly all the demos show, drawings and sketches no real heavy writing.

Have you extensively used it for writing yet and how is it panning out?

Although they have dropped the price for shipping cost to Europe it is still 60% of the pen cost of a Jot Pro, so 15 which is a lot compared to some of they competitors.

Personally I think all those that have pledged should have free shipping!

All in all is looks a very sexy "stylus" similar to the concept of the Dagi, but a lot more thought in the finishing of it.

SchneiderMan
Aug 3, 2011, 01:50 PM
Thanks for sharing with us.

One thing I have noticed in the "kick-starter" blogs on the progress of the pens is that nearly all the demos show, drawings and sketches no real heavy writing.

Have you extensively used it for writing yet and how is it panning out?

Although they have dropped the price for shipping cost to Europe it is still 60% of the pen cost of a Jot Pro, so 15 which is a lot compared to some of they competitors.

Personally I think all those that have pledged should have free shipping!

All in all is looks a very sexy "stylus" similar to the concept of the Dagi, but a lot more thought in the finishing of it.

Yes I have and it has held up very well. I wouldn't see a reason why it wouldn't perform well after heavy use. It might seem fragile but it isn't.

King Julian
Aug 3, 2011, 02:30 PM
Cheers Schneiderman, just curious how it held up for note taking.

M-5
Aug 4, 2011, 12:23 PM
I purchased a Nataal pen from Amazon that is almost identical to the Targus and Griffin pens. It was around $10, and it works fairly well. What I don't like is that the tip isn't firm. It squishes in when you apply pressure, so it's kind of like the black end of a rubber liquid dropper (the part that you squeeze). I havent found a stylus that is similar that isn't squishy though.

Also, I wish the tip didn't have as much friction, because it doesnt slide across the screen as smoothly as I would like.

I've used it to sketch some things and to write notes, and it's really hard to write in fine-print unless you zoom in or use something like the UPAD app that has a zoom-in viewer where you write and it shrinks it down.

mechanopony
Aug 4, 2011, 11:30 PM
I know Wacom makes a pen for the iPad. I've never purchased/used it but I have purchased Wacom's Bamboo tablet. It was solely for the purposes of animation and it did a wonderfully exceptional job. I'm sure that the pen for the iPad would work just as great though!

The huge difference between the two is that the Wacom tablets have a small nylon tip with pressure sensitivity for fine lines. I am little disappointed that the Bamboo for iPad has a much wider tip.

Kavier
Aug 24, 2011, 03:48 PM
I just saw this stylus today and it looks pretty awesome!

http://tenonedesign.com/sketchpro.php

jsh1120
Aug 24, 2011, 04:11 PM
I just saw this stylus today and it looks pretty awesome!

http://tenonedesign.com/sketchpro.php

If you like that one, you might want to consider the iFararday "Artist" model. It works very, very well and is $10 less.

www.ifaraday.com

Kavier
Aug 25, 2011, 05:58 PM
If you like that one, you might want to consider the iFararday "Artist" model. It works very, very well and is $10 less.

www.ifaraday.com

I'll check it out, thanks!

dbarron
Aug 30, 2011, 02:42 PM
My Jot arrived yesterday. It is fantastic!

glen e
Aug 30, 2011, 03:02 PM
x2 for the jot...the plastic on plastic hard feel is different but the most accurate I have had so far - you can "see thru" the tip when editing text....love the faraday but I keep breaking off the shirt clips on them. The jot is a higher quality pen too - we'll see how it works on the next road trip...the screw on cap and how it screws on other end when using to extend length is pure class...a shirt clip so it does not get lost in a bag pocket would be nice...

Smoothie
Aug 30, 2011, 04:05 PM
I returned the Wacom Bamboo stylus. I didn't like how squishy the tip was, and it obscured the point of contact with the screen so it didn't feel very precise. It also took a fair amount of pressure to create a line. This was the only stylus I've used on an iPad, so I don't know if this is the nature of these things.

Dave421
Aug 30, 2011, 04:42 PM
..... This was the only stylus I've used on an iPad, so I don't know if this is the nature of these things.

For the most part, yes. The Wacom is actually better than 90% of the others. I've found the iFaraday Artist w/ firm tip to be great for feel but it still suffers from the lack of accuracy due to the big tip. I'm ordering the Jot as well and hope that it gives me the feel & accuracy that I'm looking for.

glen e
Aug 30, 2011, 08:31 PM
Update on jot: drawback.....it "taps" the screen rather loudly, gets on spouse nerves if in bed or watching movie....

vitzr
Aug 30, 2011, 08:36 PM
Five of them later, I finally found one that is very comfortable for long note taking sessions. It's really accurate, consistent and easy to use.

****************PSWAK

MathRulz
Aug 30, 2011, 08:44 PM
Update on jot: drawback.....it "taps" the screen rather loudly, gets on spouse nerves if in bed or watching movie....

Glen, good to know! My jot pro hasn't arrived yet. From jot kickstarter email: "Unfortunately, the order in which you pledged or filled out your survey is not the most efficient method to ensure everyone receives their Jots quickly."

My wife is already irked a bit because of the various cases and other accessories I've purchased of the iPad, including two Acase 2nd gen styli (one black, one silver) and an iFaraday RX stylus (sort of gold color). I will use one of those when she is around. I'm getting the turquoise jot pro.

eg2007
Aug 31, 2011, 02:40 AM
Digging my Jot Pro. Great for editing screenplays. Best I've used so far. Love the magnet, even sticks to the outside my Joy Factory Smartsuit2 or the iPad itself. Perfect for my needs.

Walter Bell
Aug 31, 2011, 05:52 AM
For the Jot people:

Did you tracking numbers or shipment notifications?

ctbear
Aug 31, 2011, 10:10 AM
For the Jot people:

They (Amazon) will send a notification with tracking number.

eg2007
Aug 31, 2011, 11:32 AM
For the Jot people:

Yes. Got the tracking number Saturday. Got a few emails before that, that it was shipping soon as well.

savannahg3
Aug 31, 2011, 08:26 PM
Has anyone tried the all-new Pogo Sketch PRO by Ten One Design? This is the newest stylus added to their collection? I am wondering what the difference is between the PRO and the regular pogo sketch stylus? I would love to know your thoughts! Thanks....

xraytech
Aug 31, 2011, 09:54 PM
Got my JOT!!!

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6182/6102030782_739e874347_b.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6182/6101484417_5f8bc103c2_b.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6076/6101485333_e787127c45_b.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6201/6102033860_f33fb687d8_b.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6068/6101487937_4a28115ac0_b.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6200/6102036480_ebda837c94_b.jpg

It is a joy to use on SketchBook Pro. Accuracy is spot on simply because you can actually see your input thru the tip of the stylus. Taking notes on Note Taker HD is just as natural as pen and paper.

I've tried foam, rubber and even made my own see thru tip stylus but this is by far the best stylus on the market. The only other stylus that comes close is the O-Stylus and maybe the Dagi.

SchneiderMan
Sep 1, 2011, 02:08 AM
Got my JOT!!!

It is a joy to use on SketchBook Pro. Accuracy is spot on simply because you can actually see your input thru the tip of the stylus. Taking notes on Note Taker HD is just as natural as pen and paper.

I've tried foam, rubber and even made my own see thru tip stylus but this is by far the best stylus on the market. The only other stylus that comes close is the O-Stylus and maybe the Daggi.

I have to agree with everything you've said.

xraytech
Sep 1, 2011, 03:02 AM
Hmm...

Looks like someone is a copycat.

http://www.dagi.com.tw/front/bin/ptdetail.phtml?Part=p506&Rcg=2

http://www.dagi.com.tw/ezcatfiles/sdt063/img/pictures/p/p506_L_iPhone%20stylus%20DAGi%20Accu%20Pen%20P506%20detail.jpg

gugy
Sep 1, 2011, 08:56 PM
This Jot looks cool.

I have The Alupen, its nice but not very precise. I also have the e.stylo and I hate it, can't write using that thing.
I have my eyes set on the Bamboo from Wacom since they make excellent products but now the Jot is here and I am having second thoughts.

So what would you guys choose, the Bamboo or Jot?

PacMookBro
Sep 1, 2011, 09:43 PM
Hmm...

Looks like someone is a copycat.

http://www.dagi.com.tw/front/bin/ptdetail.phtml?Part=p506&Rcg=2

Image (http://www.dagi.com.tw/ezcatfiles/sdt063/img/pictures/p/p506_L_iPhone%20stylus%20DAGi%20Accu%20Pen%20P506%20detail.jpg)

Probably the homemade one dated June 2010 shown at YouTube was copied by dagi and then adonit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ_ELNZqQvc&feature=youtube_gdata_player