PDA

View Full Version : iOS 5 to Bring Revamped Notification System and Widgets?

Pages : [1] 2

MacRumors
May 27, 2011, 01:12 PM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/27/ios-5-to-bring-revamped-notification-system-and-widgets/)

TechCrunch reports (http://techcrunch.com/2011/05/27/ios-widgets-and-revamped-notifications/) on some of the discussion surrounding Apple's apparent efforts (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/27/apple-also-inviting-australian-journalists-to-june-6th-wwdc-keynote/) to encourage members of the international press to attend its Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) early next month, disagreeing with the assessment that such encouragements suggest that an iPhone launch may indeed occur and instead arguing that iOS 5 and Mac OS X Lion alone will be a big deal. To that end, the company is seeking to make sure that media members do not skip the event simply because it seems that the next-generation iPhone will not make its debut there.

In addition, the report shares several tidbits that have been surfacing about iOS 5, most notably brief word that Apple is indeed planning to roll out a "completely revamped" notifications system and "widgets" that would presumably provide quick access to information without the need for launching dedicated apps, much the same as Dashboard widgets in Mac OS X.The other big news for iOS5 - and yes, I've completely buried the lede here, thanks for reading! - two things: completely revamped notifications and widgets.The iOS notification system has been one of the more highly criticized aspects of the platform, although optimism regarding a potential revamp rose earlier this year (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/11/apple-acquiring-ios-developer-to-revamp-notification-system/) amid claims that Apple had acquired an unnamed development firm specifically to assist with the revamp.

As an example of how widgets might be employed, designer Jan-Michael Cart (http://janmichaelcart.com/wp/) earlier this month released a concept video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjOV6je9dXM) demonstrating his vision of widgets on iOS.

_B3uj-MAJx0

One other item of interest included in TechCrunch's report today is the claim that the Nuance technology (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/06/apple-negotiating-deal-with-nuance-for-speech-recognition-in-ios-5/) rumored to be deeply integrated into iOS 5 will surprisingly not make its way into the Voice Control component of the platform, although things could change between now and the final release of iOS 5 later this year.

Article Link: iOS 5 to Bring Revamped Notification System and Widgets? (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/27/ios-5-to-bring-revamped-notification-system-and-widgets/)

miles01110
May 27, 2011, 01:13 PM
It'd be nice to have more than a clock on the lock screen.

Moyank24
May 27, 2011, 01:14 PM
If this is true good news about the notification system. Though, I'm not sure what the big deal about widgets is.

RebeccaL
May 27, 2011, 01:19 PM
I don't use widgets on the desktop and don't plan on using them on the iPhone either. The updated notification system would be great.

aindik
May 27, 2011, 01:19 PM
If this is true good news about the notification system. Though, I'm not sure what the big deal about widgets is.

One thing I miss from my Blackberry is the ability to know at the top of the screen how many different unread things I had. This included unread:
e-mail text messages google voice text messages BBM messages, and calendar reminders

These were all at the top of the screen with icons, in the location where iOS puts the clock, the battery meter and the network connectivity information.

twoodcc
May 27, 2011, 01:22 PM
yeah the notification system has got to be improved

fabian9
May 27, 2011, 01:23 PM
I'm not sure of the value of such widgets... it's easy enough to see what's new by launching an app with the little red circle on it. The thing that I would like to see, however, is a more informative lock screen that'll tell you which applications have got a notification for you.

ChazUK
May 27, 2011, 01:24 PM
Improved notifications would be great. Even on my iPod touch they can get annoying.

Any improvements should be universally welcomed! :)

asdf542
Dashboard for iOS would be kinda cool I guess. Although I'm not sure how much sense it would make on the iPhone(barring lock screen) where the weather and stocks app are essentially Mac widgets. I could see it being useful on the iPad where those stock apps that are available on the iPhone aren't present on the iPad.

iMJustAGuy
Interesting. I particularly won't use it because it's just too "cluttery" for me but I'm sure it would make a lot of people happy.

dustinsc
I'm sure both widgets and notifications will be better than expected. When Apple screws something up (or omits it entirely) they tend to really make up for it when the finally fix it/implement it.

LoganT
May 27, 2011, 01:27 PM
I could see myself using widgets on a phone more than I could on a computer.

srxtr
iOS is going from simple to more complicated...

Although I do agree we need a better notification system.

Carlanga
fugly demo from the designer; it can't have a whole page for each widget... for that is faster to just open the app.

janmike34
May 27, 2011, 01:30 PM
fugly demo from the designer; it can't have a whole page for each widget... for that is faster to just open the app.

You can have more than one widget per page, or have a widget that takes up the entire home screen. It just depends on what the developer of the widget comes up with.

chrono1081
May 27, 2011, 01:30 PM
Id rather have updatable App icons vs widgets, but thats just me.

Sweetfeld28
May 27, 2011, 01:32 PM
I really, really hope they integrate Nuance in to iOS 5, this is one of the biggest things I miss coming from Android.

janmike34
May 27, 2011, 01:32 PM

I'm actually about to render a video that demonstrates such. :)

-Ryan-
May 27, 2011, 01:33 PM
I wouldn't use widgets, but an improved notification system would be very welcome.

eastercat
LOL that apple felt compelled to entice reporters to come to this event.
If it's true about notifications and widgets, that'll mean the complainers will have to move onto something else.:rolleyes:

Peteman100
I think a calendar events widget would be very useful

baryon
May 27, 2011, 01:34 PM
That video makes sense. Though I don't see why search would only work from the dashboard screen - why not just scroll down from any home screen and have a search box appear?

dwd3885
May 27, 2011, 01:35 PM
widgets and notification systems are two of the best features of android. So if Apple can put that on the iPhone, it'll come a long way towards matching Google there.

Better notification sounds good to me - widgets not so much.

Widgets will only suck memory, processing time and battery time. I have no need for them. I don't use them on my Mac and I don't want them on my iPhone.

Oh well, as long as I have the option to not enable them its fine - as long as no one whines about reduced battery time and other related issues. But then - Apple did a really smart thing for the multitasking avoiding most problems, maybe they have some genius idea for widgets (still - I have no use from them, but maybe others do)

dberezin
Besides there not being an iPhone on Verizon when I got my first Android phone, one of the reasons I like the Android platform is because of the widgets. It's nice looking at the main screen and seeing the weather, date and time in a nice widget and also have my (scrollable) calendar list displaying so I can see what's coming up.

Another page can have your Twitter feed or Facebook feed.

I hope this option does become available in iOS as an option. Let's you customize your phone to how you want it - not how Apple wants it. If that happens, I might have to look twice at the iPhone when I renew.

Surely
May 27, 2011, 01:37 PM
It'd be nice to have more than a clock on the lock screen.

The date's there too!:p

Kentochan
May 27, 2011, 01:39 PM
So even if the next iPhone refresh is evolutionary, it sounds like iOS 5 is gonna be revolutionary. And because you spend most of your time on the OS, rather than the actual hardware, this would be a good move by Apple. Man, WWDC can't come soon enough :D

Edit: I sincerely apologize for using the word revolutionary in my comment. I meant it in comparison with the previous iOSs/iPhone OSs. I knew Android had these features since their debut, but the thought of what I could do with these features on an iPhone made me extremely excited for iOS 5. I am in no way an Android hater, but I have always preferred the quality of iPhones over Android phones.

lbjsong
Don't Care as long as I can JailBreak it

toddybody
Looks nice.

Negafox
May 27, 2011, 01:40 PM
The notification system in iOS is terrible. It would be nice to see a revamp of it. Widgets would be a nice OPTIONAL addition, too.

daneoni
May 27, 2011, 01:40 PM
Finally the Fandroids can now shut it

lilo777
May 27, 2011, 01:45 PM
So even if the next iPhone refresh is evolutionary, it sounds like iOS 5 is gonna be revolutionary. And because you spend most of your time on the OS, rather than the actual hardware, this would be a good move by Apple. Man, WWDC can't come soon enough :D

Caching up with Android does not sound like very revolutionary to me :p

Lesser Evets
May 27, 2011, 01:47 PM
... instead arguing that iOS 5 and Mac OS X Lion alone will be a big deal.

I can understand people living through their phones wanting something better, because far better is to be had. As for OSX, I see very little worth doing backflips over coming out of Lion.

7 looks nice, yes. It has some interesting little additions, certainly.
However.
There is nothing ground breaking or must-have, and if they ditch Rosetta, it's worthless to a LOT of people. Lion, to me, appears to be a hyped yawn. There are hundreds of small fixes and courtesies Apple should have worked on in OSX since day 1, and I doubt they worked them up and out after 10 years.
(I'm lumping iTunes, Safari, iCal, and all other attached programs into OSX in this post, not just the actual OS)

LoganT
May 27, 2011, 01:47 PM

Tell me when I can install the latest version of Android on any Android supported hardware.

Kentochan
May 27, 2011, 01:49 PM

I suppose, but now I won't have to jailbreak as much to get what I want :cool:

Cougarcat
May 27, 2011, 01:52 PM
But then - Apple did a really smart thing for the multitasking avoiding most problems, maybe they have some genius idea for widgets (still - I have no use from them, but maybe others do)

Apple's not going to implement anything if it impacts battery life. They are quite obsessed with it (which is a good thing.)

TWSS37
May 27, 2011, 01:53 PM

So revolutionary that Android users have had these features since Day 1?

LoganT
May 27, 2011, 01:54 PM

You mean from the beginning, like consistent updates?

Oh wait.

ThunderSkunk
May 27, 2011, 01:55 PM
I just wish the spotlight page of the home screen pulled down like it does in Apps. Dim the background to 10% or so as it does now, etc...

It'd be accessible with a single flick from any screen, & keep you from inadvertently flipping to it on accident. Apps are side to side, Spotlight is on top, Multitasking on the bottom. Clean & sensible.

...also, it'd eliminate the need for the icon next to your page indicators.

There's nothing up there now.

f00f
May 27, 2011, 01:58 PM
An updated notification system is necessary. The current method is archaic, intrusive and embarrassing. As far as widgets go, to each his/her own. If the notification system is done right, widgets become mostly a moot subject.

Slix
May 27, 2011, 01:59 PM
Here's hoping for better notifications.

Widgets are only good if they're optional.

TWSS37
May 27, 2011, 01:59 PM
You mean from the beginning, like consistent updates?

Oh wait.

Android phones have enjoyed 2 major upgrades in 8 months, with a third on the way shortly. While Android is rolling out Gingerbread, iOS is still speculating about what's going to be included in 5 (and 4 was introduced roughly a year ago), right?

spiderman0616
May 27, 2011, 02:01 PM
Don't care about the widgets (other than it will be one less thing for Android people to be obnoxious about), but the current notification system MUST GO. Video apps like Hulu and Netflix do not play nice with that system, and in the past few months, I have turned it completely off aside from the occasional alert from my calendar.

I am excited about any major iOS update though. I like having new stuff to mess with.

LoganT
May 27, 2011, 02:02 PM
The notification system in iOS made sense when the only thing you were getting was text messages.

tripjammer
May 27, 2011, 02:02 PM
The Iphone 5 will be announced too...when has apple not released a new iphone\ipad or itouch within 12 months of the last one? ATT\Verizon might get it first in July...and Sprint\T-mobile in September...

Just saying..

empezar
May 27, 2011, 02:03 PM
InfiniFolders please!

rkdiddy
This would be a fantastic addition! It is probably my biggest grip with iOS and frankly the only reason I unlock my phone (for LockInfo). :rolleyes:

LoganT
Android phones have enjoyed 2 major upgrades in 8 months, with a third on the way shortly. While Android is rolling out Gingerbread, iOS is still speculating about what's going to be included in 5 (and 4 was introduced roughly a year ago), right?

I should of clarified what I meant.

Android is getting consistent updates from Google. But the majority of the Android phones now only support 2.2, and by the time they get the 2.3, 2.4 will be out.

Moccasin
May 27, 2011, 02:05 PM

Except of course we are now on 4.3... each of those intermediate upgrades has brought new features.

What percentage of Android devices are actually upgraded to the latest version? How quickly are you able to upgrade any particular phone? Weren't Google and the manufacturers recently proud to announce that upgrades should be available to all devices within 18 months of them being released?

JarScott
May 27, 2011, 02:06 PM
I agree with the better notification system as far as a more informationally intense lock screen. But, when I had my Samsung Galaxy S, I wasn't happy with the way Widgets replaced apps. I soon had no need to open apps. iPhone revolutionised the way mobile phones are with the introduction of applications. To make widgets, defeats that, for me.

Appel
May 27, 2011, 02:07 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I like the idea of having a lot of info at a glance. On morning wake up, it would be nice to know the exact time, weather and top news one a single look instead of open 3 different apps. I think this is a potentialy dangeur to apps and widgets will be sold by third party devs on both ios app store and mac app store. This could also bring new life to mac widgets.

ravenvii
May 27, 2011, 02:08 PM
Whether or not I switch to the HP Pre 3 this summer hinges on Apple's iOS 5 updates.

It better be good!

JarScott
May 27, 2011, 02:10 PM
Except of course we are now on 4.3... each of those intermediate upgrades has brought new features.

What percentage of Android devices are actually upgraded to the latest version? How quickly are you able to upgrade any particular phone? Weren't Google and the manufacturers recently proud to announce that upgrades should be available to all devices within 18 months of them being released?

I owned a Samsung Galaxy S for a short while and purchased it when it was a relativly brand new concept for Samsung. But, as I remember, Google seemed to abandon it when new firmware was released. I have been informed that the Galaxy S will be getting Gingerbread. But, the program to upgrade, Samsung Kies, is completely unstable, unreliable and the worse piece of software ever created. It's such a breeze to update any iOS device. Android tried to be as such, but failed miserably. In my eyes, Android was a plan by Google just to reel in customers information such as position and usage. Just tracking online searches wasn't enough. Google has actually confirmed that Android was created to follow users more perminantly and constantly. I don't disagree with companies tracking users, but to the point where they're making whole systems to do so, is completely wrong.

Dr McKay
May 27, 2011, 02:10 PM
Id like that, but also to have Widgets available on my Lockscreen, so I could know how many emails I had etc.

lilo777
May 27, 2011, 02:13 PM
I agree with the better notification system as far as a more informationally intense lock screen. But, when I had my Samsung Galaxy S, I wasn't happy with the way Widgets replaced apps. I soon had no need to open apps. iPhone revolutionised the way mobile phones are with the introduction of applications. To make widgets, defeats that, for me.

I am not sure I follow you. Widgets replaced some apps and, being always ON, unlike apps they do not require extra clicks for opening them. And you are saying that iPhone revolutionized phones by not allowing this?

jonnysods
May 27, 2011, 02:13 PM
Forget the widgets. Please do something with the lock screen. Calendar appointments, missed calls, texts, email headers. Jail breakers can do this, I want the same from Apple!

DJinTX
May 27, 2011, 02:14 PM

You are both making the same potentially incorrect assumption. Sure you can interpret that "revolutionary" in this context is a comparison to competing handsets, but it can also be a comparison against Apple's current offering. So someone could argue that adding these features would be a revolutionary step for iOS 5 over iOS 4. I can't speak for those making these statements, but it is not necessarily a comparison to android.

For me it doesn't matter what Android or Blackberry or anyone else is doing, because none of them understand user interface and product design like Apple does, so none of these companies are even part of the discussion for me.

As for having certain features from day 1, it doesn't really matter so much how soon a feature arrives. It matters if it is well executed. I waited for Apple to deliver their vision of cut and paste and multi-tasking, and it was well worth the wait.

Cougarcat
May 27, 2011, 02:16 PM
Forget the widgets. Please do something with the lock screen. Calendar appointments, missed calls, texts, email headers. Jail breakers can do this, I want the same from Apple!

If the new notifications system is any good, it will surely have this.

JarScott
May 27, 2011, 02:16 PM
I am not sure I follow you. Widgets replaced some apps and, being always ON, unlike apps they do not require extra clicks for opening them. And you are saying that iPhone revolutionized phones by not allowing this?

I found that, as time went on, too many advanced widgets were created that set out to replace apps. Apple will always want us to be frequently using applications. I think they will see widgets as potential app replaces. Just my opinion. :P

Moccasin
May 27, 2011, 02:20 PM
As for having certain features from day 1, it doesn't really matter so much how soon a feature arrives. It matters if it is well executed. I waited for Apple to deliver their vision of cut and paste and multi-tasking, and it was well worth the wait.

Excellent point, Apple generally ensure they do something right or not at all. I've found that in any discussions on the Mac vs PC or iOS vs Android debates, there's always a tendency to focus on the headline figures of specs etc whereas from day to day usage, well designed interfaces and software are far more important to user satisfaction (well to mine anyway)

apple101
May 27, 2011, 02:22 PM
I'll be looking forward to the new notification system.

StacheBC
May 27, 2011, 02:23 PM
Personally I like the idea of being able to look at one screen and being able to see weather, e-mail, stock ticker and social updates without having to open and close several applications to do so. :)

For those that don't like Widgets... Just don't use them :rolleyes:.

Oletros
May 27, 2011, 02:28 PM
I think they will see widgets as potential app replaces. Just my opinion. :P

And what's the problem?

aindik
May 27, 2011, 02:30 PM
I'll look forward to being able to have a push notification for e-mail. I get push notifications when I get a text, a google voice message, when VEVO has a new video, when CNN updates something. But not for my push e-mail? Crazy.

Oletros
May 27, 2011, 02:30 PM
For me it doesn't matter what Android or Blackberry or anyone else is doing, because none of them understand user interface and product design like Apple does, so none of these companies are even part of the discussion for me.

And they don't understand just because you say so, don't you?

janmike34
May 27, 2011, 02:31 PM
I don't see widgets replacing apps. I believe Apple will put restrictions on what widgets could do, similar to the limited processes that multitasking-enabled apps could do.

I don't think I'll be watching movies on Netflix on a widget. :rolleyes:

fattire357
May 27, 2011, 02:42 PM
Just curious for all those that say you wouldn't use widgets - have you ever owned an Android?

Widgets are the coolest feature ever... and the reason I still have my Android phone, and I'd be tempted to go back to an iPhone if they implement this well. I use three widgets 24x7:
1. Clock with weather. Open your home screen to have a big fat animation tell you its going to rain. Nice. All without opening an app.
2. Swipe left, and I see all my appointments for the day. Scroll down, within that app page, and see what appointments I have for the week. Cool.
3. Swipe right of the home screen, and I have my to-do list, alongside my Pandora app, etc. etc.

I know that this might seem a little foreign, but trust me, the iPhone needs this. A good analogy for how cool widgets (and how iPhone users fail to understand this) is like how cool the OSX interface is (and how Windows users fail to understand this). You never know how good it is until you try it.

DavidLeblond
May 27, 2011, 02:42 PM
I wonder if Apple could make it so devs can include widgets in the app bundle.

fattire357
May 27, 2011, 02:44 PM
I don't see widgets replacing apps. I believe Apple will put restrictions on what widgets could do, similar to the limited processes that multitasking-enabled apps could do.

I don't think I'll be watching movies on Netflix on a widget. :rolleyes:

Widgets open up apps (or at least on Android?). So you see your to-do list on a widget, want to delete an item, so you click the widget and your to-do app opens up.

Yeah, I agree Netflix would be weird, but that doesn't mean there isn't a use for widgets.

DJinTX
May 27, 2011, 02:44 PM
And they don't understand just because you say so, don't you?

You are exactly correct. Why would I care about anyone else's opinion over mine to determine my product purchases? Or should I let you decide what I buy? That just seems like a recipe for failure.

Since I know exactly what I want and/or need in my phone, then I am the only opinion that matters. So yes, compared to android, blackberry, Microsoft, and any other phone maker, Apple is the only one who understands what I want and can deliver that product. If another company wants to try to convince me they are more than welcome to roll the dice and try. No one is stopping them from bringing a better product to market. Of course up to this point, they all pale in comparison. I will admit though, that I am very picky, so they have their work cut out for them. I don't expect any of them to out-Apple Apple.

Oletros
May 27, 2011, 02:46 PM
You are exactly correct. Why would I care about anyone else's opinion over mine to determine my product purchases? Or should I let you decide what I buy? That just seems like a recipe for failure.

Since I know exactly what I want and/or need in my phone, then I am the only opinion that matters. So yes, compared to android, blackberry, Microsoft, and any other phone maker, Apple is the only one who understands what I want and can deliver that product. If another company wants to try to convince me they are more than welcome to roll the dice and try. No one is stopping them from bringing a better product to market.

:eek::eek:

janmike34
May 27, 2011, 02:47 PM
I wonder if Apple could make it so devs can include widgets in the app bundle.

That's actually how I envisioned the concept. When you install an app, the corresponding widget would be downloaded as well and appear in the widget list. However, this brings into question, "What do I do with all those icons if every single app I download includes a (potentially) worthless widget...".

TWSS37
May 27, 2011, 02:49 PM

The difference between incremental upgrades that Google delivers vs. Apple is really in just the number formatting. 2.1 to 2.2 on Android is akin to iOS versioning 3.x to 4.x, etc. Android releases incremental patches much like iOS but they go to a third digit (whereas iOS using a third digit is generally just a minor security patch). So 2.1 to 2.2 is like iOS 3 to 4. So there's that. Second, what percentage? No idea. But the fact most versions are currently on 2.1 or 2.2, it's a safe bet that these phones will get to 2.3. To your next point, this is the difference between the transparency of when Google announces an OS and how Apple does things. Apple only announces when it's ready to be delivered; Google announces an OS before it is truly ready. What is the difference between announcing Gingerbread in December 2010 and delivering in May 2011? So if they announce and deliver in May 2011 it makes it better somehow? That's all essentially Apple is doing. And yes, OS updates will be available for 18 months, but here's the kicker: didn't I read a report that says the 3GS won't be supported for iOS5? Sure, the phone is two years old (24 months vs. 18 that Google promised) but the difference is that ATT is still selling the 3GS BRAND NEW. Go ahead; try and find me an Android phone that I can buy brand new that's currently 18 months old.

And please be aware, these are not my opinion these are facts. Feel free to research anything I wrote here and try and refute me on a basis of fanboyism.

fattire357
May 27, 2011, 02:56 PM
I owned a Samsung Galaxy S for a short while and purchased it when it was a relativly brand new concept for Samsung. But, as I remember, Google seemed to abandon it when new firmware was released. I have been informed that the Galaxy S will be getting Gingerbread. But, the program to upgrade, Samsung Kies, is completely unstable, unreliable and the worse piece of software ever created. It's such a breeze to update any iOS device. Android tried to be as such, but failed miserably. In my eyes, Android was a plan by Google just to reel in customers information such as position and usage. Just tracking online searches wasn't enough. Google has actually confirmed that Android was created to follow users more perminantly and constantly. I don't disagree with companies tracking users, but to the point where they're making whole systems to do so, is completely wrong.

Samsung makes terrible phones. I wouldn't confuse Samsung with Android/Google as a whole, so just because Kies is terrible (which as a Galaxy S owner I can confirm :) ), doesn't doom Android as a platform.

Nonetheless, it is nice that you can rely on Apple to make a good phone, when I got my Galaxy S I just assumed they wouldn't release something that was broken. It was kind of frustrating that Apple was getting all this heat for releasing a phone that may or may not cause signal deterioration when you hold it an awkward way, and here I was with a Galaxy S phone that wasn't going to be upgraded anytime soon, had a broken GPS, and had a syncing program (Kies) that was terribly buggy. Galaxy S deserved 1,000x more criticism than the iPhone 4...but nobody expected Samsung to make a good phone anyways... it was more of a shock when Apple made that error so that made the news.

The hardest thing for me that will keep me from getting an Android in the future after the Galaxy S debacle is trusting that the phone will perform as expected.

(P.S. You really think Google made Android OS just to track people?)

TWSS37
May 27, 2011, 02:57 PM
You are both making the same potentially incorrect assumption. Sure you can interpret that "revolutionary" in this context is a comparison to competing handsets, but it can also be a comparison against Apple's current offering. So someone could argue that adding these features would be a revolutionary step for iOS 5 over iOS 4. I can't speak for those making these statements, but it is not necessarily a comparison to android.

I guess my comment dealt with the OP's use of the word "revolutionary". When something exists, in this case widgets and/or the notification bar, it's quite difficult to ascertain that when it's released by Apple it's automatically going to be so awesome that it is considered innovative. Android using widgets was hardly revolutionary since it's not a new concept. Just because Apple is doing it doesn't mean it hasn't been done before. I'd love for someone to be serious and post how Apple could potentially revolutionize either the widget system or notification bar. It's difficult to revolutionize something that is designed to only have a maximum amount of impact and where there is a ceiling in place in regards to expected usability and/or functionality.

TWSS37
May 27, 2011, 03:02 PM

Since I know exactly what I want and/or need in my phone, then I am the only opinion that matters. So yes, compared to android, blackberry, Microsoft, and any other phone maker, Apple is the only one who understands what I want and can deliver that product. If another company wants to try to convince me they are more than welcome to roll the dice and try. No one is stopping them from bringing a better product to market. Of course up to this point, they all pale in comparison. I will admit though, that I am very picky, so they have their work cut out for them. I don't expect any of them to out-Apple Apple.

I apologize as I am new to these boards, but I come here because I enjoy all things technology and the discussion it brings. So I am sorry if I missed a post in which you have said you have tried those other devices and you have noticed a difference that Apple has over other brands, most notable the Android platform since that is a very similar end user experience. Could you elaborate where Android has failed and that Apple has excelled? I've noticed on a lot of forums that most iOS users are only familiar with earlier Android OS and devices so perhaps past perceptions are no longer the case?

DJinTX
May 27, 2011, 03:03 PM
:eek::eek:

Help me out here man...give me something I can argue with :)

adztaylor
May 27, 2011, 03:06 PM
I'm not that bothered about widgets. But an improved notification system and perhaps some lock screen info would be nice!

Oletros
May 27, 2011, 03:07 PM
Help me out here man...give me something I can argue with :)

Argue with religious views about technology? No, thanks.

TWSS37
Originally Posted by JarScott
I think they will see widgets as potential app replaces. Just my opinion. :P

And what's the problem?

I find it odd that iOS users have such a difficult time grasping choice. The ability to turn widgets on and off should be your decision - so if you don't like them or want to use them, just don't, right? Is Apple's policy of delivering a product that is so rigid in which the end user has very little choice on how their phone operates so ingrained that the simplicity of not using a feature is not able to be understood?

fattire357
The difference between incremental upgrades that Google delivers vs. Apple is really in just the number formatting. 2.1 to 2.2 on Android is akin to iOS versioning 3.x to 4.x, etc. Android releases incremental patches much like iOS but they go to a third digit (whereas iOS using a third digit is generally just a minor security patch). So 2.1 to 2.2 is like iOS 3 to 4. So there's that. Second, what percentage? No idea. But the fact most versions are currently on 2.1 or 2.2, it's a safe bet that these phones will get to 2.3. To your next point, this is the difference between the transparency of when Google announces an OS and how Apple does things. Apple only announces when it's ready to be delivered; Google announces an OS before it is truly ready. What is the difference between announcing Gingerbread in December 2010 and delivering in May 2011? So if they announce and deliver in May 2011 it makes it better somehow? That's all essentially Apple is doing. And yes, OS updates will be available for 18 months, but here's the kicker: didn't I read a report that says the 3GS won't be supported for iOS5? Sure, the phone is two years old (24 months vs. 18 that Google promised) but the difference is that ATT is still selling the 3GS BRAND NEW. Go ahead; try and find me an Android phone that I can buy brand new that's currently 18 months old.

And please be aware, these are not my opinion these are facts. Feel free to research anything I wrote here and try and refute me on a basis of fanboyism.

Also, Apple needs to update more often since they mandate that they supply the interface, etc. On my Android, I use LauncherPro as the homescreen / app drawer / etc, and this app gets updated via the Market every 2-4 weeks.

If Apple wants to add, say, folder support to the home screen, it has to make a new firmware update. So this makes getting that update really crucial :D. Android pushes it via apps which allows for more frequent updating.

I finally upgraded to Gingerbread (2.3), and the only difference I noticed was better battery life... almost none of the interface I use is stock google. I honestly could have stayed on Froyo (2.2), and been fine. Again, this is because my of what I interface through is third-party apps.

It is kinda frustrating though to not be able to update to the most recent version.. just for the sheer idea of it...and who knows when it might be an important update.

rdstoll
May 27, 2011, 03:08 PM
As an Android user it's funny to see the Apple folks grapple with how to deliver widgets.

I have five scrollable screens on my Android phone. Fully four of them are filled with widgets. No opening apps/settings just to toggle wifi or bluetooth. Or checking the weather. Or my world clock. Or Pandora. Having had the Iphone 3G thru 4 before switching over to Android I never realized how limited IOS. I still have my iPad which I love but again, it is such a joke to get around. Open app. Close app. Open settings. Close settings. Way too cumbersome.

propynyl
May 27, 2011, 03:09 PM
iOS 5 is going to be killer. I'm more excited for WWDC and this update than the thought of new hardware.

TWSS37
May 27, 2011, 03:14 PM
Also, Apple needs to update more often since they mandate that they supply the interface, etc. On my Android, I use LauncherPro as the homescreen / app drawer / etc, and this app gets updated via the Market every 2-4 weeks.

If Apple wants to add, say, folder support to the home screen, it has to make a new firmware update. So this makes getting that update really crucial :D. Android pushes it via apps which allows for more frequent updating.

I finally upgraded to Gingerbread (2.3), and the only difference I noticed was better battery life... almost none of the interface I use is stock google. I honestly could have stayed on Froyo (2.2), and been fine. Again, this is because my of what I interface through is third-party apps.

I think you bring up a valid point (even if you didn't mean to :)) You mentioned the use of launcher pro which I believe is an alternative dock/homescreen organizer. Most iOS users I have observed are looking forward to iOS due to "new features", even though there hasn't been a tangible report on what those will be. One thing every user counts on in a major upgrade is a new UI. When you mention you could have stayed on Froyo you're right because ultimately, aside from behind the scenes stuff that the average user wouldn't notice, the majority of all OS upgrades (iOS and Android) include that UI overhaul. So I think the standard Android user is a little more patient in wanting a new OS because they can mimic the tangible result of an OS upgrade (a new UI) anytime they want.

DJinTX
May 27, 2011, 03:26 PM
I apologize as I am new to these boards, but I come here because I enjoy all things technology and the discussion it brings. So I am sorry if I missed a post in which you have said you have tried those other devices and you have noticed a difference that Apple has over other brands, most notable the Android platform since that is a very similar end user experience. Could you elaborate where Android has failed and that Apple has excelled? I've noticed on a lot of forums that most iOS users are only familiar with earlier Android OS and devices so perhaps past perceptions are no longer the case?

I'm glad you enjoy discussions here, and welcome aboard.

As for your comment, no apologies are needed. You haven't missed out on any posts from me and I have never outlined my personal phone history here, mainly because it isn't relevant. To say otherwise sounds like you want me to justify why I prefer the iPhone. I'm not interested in doing this, so my word that I prefer it will have to be good enough for you.

You may fully enjoy android phones over the iPhone, and that's cool with me. I support your right to enjoy and prefer whatever you like. Based on your standards, Android phones may provide a very "similar end user experience" as the iPhone, but for me they do not. Of course I am very picky.

DJinTX
May 27, 2011, 03:31 PM
Argue with religious views about technology? No, thanks.

Is this supposed to be some sort of an insult? If so, you can probably do a bit better.

moo083
May 27, 2011, 03:31 PM
I think you guys see the video on the front page and are bored. Me too. But I think that guy is incorrect completely with their implementation. If it is designed that way I will probably never use it.

BUT, I personally think that the reason widgets come at the same time as notification overhaul is because the widgets are integrated into the notifications. For example, if you get a new IM message, you would be able to reply without opening the IM app.

THAT would make widgets REALLY REALLY cool rather than lame.

blubyu
May 27, 2011, 03:32 PM
(P.S. You really think Google made Android OS just to track people?)

Do you think Google created Android simply to give users a choice in cell phone OS's?

Google wants to track everything anybody does online. It's good for their business. The only reason Google created Android was to help their business.

righttime
May 27, 2011, 03:34 PM
No. Please. I beg you. Don't touch the awesome iOS notification system. I don't think I could live another day if an incoming text didn't F#$% up my score in Tiny Wings again.

sk8er1
May 27, 2011, 03:38 PM
The Iphone 5 will be announced too...when has apple not released a new iphone\ipad or itouch within 12 months of the last one? ATT\Verizon might get it first in July...and Sprint\T-mobile in September...

Just saying..

Good point, but how many times has apple added a new carrier? Once. This changes everything. Verizon iPhone users only got theirs about 4-5 months ago. Anyway they want to delay all their releases closer to the holidays. They could possibly announce it but it won't release until September for sure. Maybe they will announce sprint and tmobile at wwdc to be released in September with the iphone 5. That makes sense because then all the carriers would be on the same page.

May 27, 2011, 03:39 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I'm excited for widgets!

Just think, we get to sacrifice:
-Battery life and RAM for having widgets running all the time
-Space on my home screens
-Ease of use, now I have to worry about widgets and apps? Hurrah
-Privacy, when someone borrows my phone to play a game or something, they get to see my emails by default!

In order to get:
-the ability to read emails in 10 seconds vs 20 (because most emails are emergency messages)
-the ability to get EVEN MORE INSTANTANEOUS updates on Kim Kardashian's life!

Yep, widgets are so worth it...

Oletros
May 27, 2011, 03:39 PM
Is this supposed to be some sort of an insult? If so, you can probably do a bit better.

No, it wasn't an insult.

Oletros
May 27, 2011, 03:40 PM

-Privacy, when someone borrows my phone to play a game or something, they get to see my emails by default!

In order to get:
-the ability to read emails in 10 seconds vs 20 (because most emails are emergency messages)

Don't use them, easy, no?

May 27, 2011, 03:54 PM
Don't use them, easy, no?

Not if they're forced upon me. Then they affect the battery and RAM.

BLACKFRIDAY
May 27, 2011, 03:55 PM

Android invented widgets?

OR

Were they taken from iPhone OS 1.0?

Any person who has debugged or carefully looked at iPhone OS 1.0 would know that Apple had an idea of putting widgets (made through webkit, like they are on OS X).
This can be easily found by navigating to /Library/Widgets folder in iPhone OS 1.0. The widgets folder was empty though as Apple 'must have' had performance issues. The same performance issues which kill every android phone with such a poor reputation of battery life.

If you think, putting widgets on iOS is catching upto Android, you have been dreaming in some different world.

Widgets is a nice feature for some of the little things and can be quite useful though. I can understand how Android benefits from it as there are very less usable(feature wise) and non-ugly apps on the platform. Widgets might impress you and make you happy.

Oletros
May 27, 2011, 03:57 PM

And how can be forced their use?

LoganT
May 27, 2011, 03:58 PM
And how can be forced their use?

By being always on and not being able to turn it off.

Oletros
May 27, 2011, 03:58 PM
The same performance issues which kill every android phone with such a poor reputation of battery life.

If you think, putting widgets on iOS is catching upto Android, you have been dreaming in some different world.

Widgets is a nice feature for some of the little things and can be quite useful though. I can understand how Android benefits from it as there are very less usable(feature wise) and non-ugly apps on the platform. Widgets might impress you and make you happy.

My God, you're joking, don't you?

Oletros
May 27, 2011, 04:00 PM
By being always on and not being able to turn it off.

What? Why Apple would do something like that?

BLACKFRIDAY
May 27, 2011, 04:00 PM
My God, you're joking, don't you?

Oh! I must be.

What about that sounds so funny to you?

LoganT
May 27, 2011, 04:02 PM

They probably wouldn't.

tigress666
May 27, 2011, 04:02 PM

Widgets would be kinda cool honestly. It's not something that would even come close to making or breaking my decision to buy a smartphone, but I surely am not going to complain if they implement it.

In fact, I'll be kinda of excited if that rumor is true. I'd definitely play around with that and it would make my phone feel like it had new features to play around with (feel like a newer phone even though it will soon not be the newest).

As for notifications, I am neutral. I don't mind the ones as is. I do agree with some people's complaints about them, but I actually do like one aspect of them that a lot of people don't, I like the pop up screen. But I think there should be a way to keep them as "unread" to look back at if you don't want to bother with them right then (like a list of notifications maybe with the unread ones marked as unread) and I think there should be a way to turn off the pop up in case you are gaming at the time. I also don't like how they stack so if you get several you have to get rid of a stack (plus you only are able to look at one).

So I'm excited about new notifications but I hope they leave some option to let them still pop up if you want (or at least allow calendars/tasks to do a pop up notification, that's where I want the pop up functionality cause I do want that kind of stuff to be interruptive).

Oletros
May 27, 2011, 04:05 PM
Oh! I must be.

What about that sounds so funny to you?

Widgets doesn't haver performance issues and doesn't drain battery on Android.
The funnier thing is saying that widgets can be viewed as useful because there is less applications.

Perhaps lilo were in a different world, but you are not very far from him.

TWSS37
May 27, 2011, 04:06 PM

In order to get:

You do realize there is more than an email widget, right?

tigress666
May 27, 2011, 04:06 PM

Pretty much. On the computer you have to open a whole new screen to even see the widgets and on my computer it takes a long time to open them all. Though I do occasionally use them for the dictionary (especially on the newer MBP which is faster at loading them. My MB was painfully slow at loading widgets honestly to the point you were better off having software that had that function than using the widgets).

I could see it being more useful on the phone cause I'm guessing you wouldn't have to pull up a seperate screen but maybe have the app icon act as the widget as well? That would be a really awesome implementation of it.

Phil A.
May 27, 2011, 04:07 PM
Personally not bothered about widgets - I used them when I first got an Android phone because of the novelty but didn't use them much after a while (the only I really used was the clock widget on the front screen) and haven't missed them much since I moved back to iOS.

I'm very hopeful there will be an improved notification system though as iOS desperately needs one.

The other thing I did like about Android (and Sense UI in particular) was that I had more freedom to put apps where I wanted on the home screens (although it's still a grid layout, it doesn't force you to flow left - right, top - bottom), and also the fact that not every single app has to go onto a home screen

BLACKFRIDAY
May 27, 2011, 04:07 PM
Widgets doesn't haver performance issues and doesn't drain battery on Android.

Seriously? Is that a joke?

The funnier thing is saying that widgets can be viewed as useful because there is less applications.

Isn't it? Well, maybe not. Maybe I'm wrong.

Perhaps lilo were in a different world, but you are not very far from him.

Oh! Looks like you are not ready to argue on the 'FACT' that Android has had performance hits and battery issues due to Widgets.
I mean, even common sense would agree on that, but you won't.

Good.

TWSS37
May 27, 2011, 04:08 PM

OR

No one said that Android invented widgets. What was questioned was the OPs use of the word revolutionary when describing the potential inclusion of widgets in iOS5. Widgets existed before the first iPhone, too...

TWSS37
May 27, 2011, 04:09 PM

LOL! The ability to do (or conversely not do) something on an iPhone is so foreign...

BLACKFRIDAY
May 27, 2011, 04:10 PM
No one said that Android invented widgets. What was questioned was the OPs use of the word revolutionary when describing the potential inclusion of widgets in iOS5. Widgets existed before the first iPhone, too...

Sure they did.

If Apple could get sandbox the widgets in something like a Dashboard as explained in a video, that'd be revolutionary; unlike the android implementation which literally keeps everything in motion.

Oletros
May 27, 2011, 04:12 PM

And common sense say that because....

How a mail widget can drain the battery? How a Facebook stream widget can stream the battery? None of them are active. Icon badges drain battery on iOS?

Have you read how widgets work on Android?

Rodimus Prime
May 27, 2011, 04:17 PM

In order to get:

someone does not understand what widgets are or how they work or even know of all the ones out there many of which put no real strain on the battery at all.

OR

I suggest you go back and look at SJ announcement of iPhone OS 1.0. He called what we now call Apps Widgets. So nope not not a valid argument there.
Really you should be careful before you start trying to say crap like that and making your self look like a fool.
iPhone OS 1.0 widgets = apps.

Isn't it? Well, maybe not. Maybe I'm wrong.

Oh! Looks like you are not ready to argue on the 'FACT' that Android has had performance hits and battery issues due to Widgets.

Good.

Depends on the widgets. Widgets on my phone that will pull some battery life are the weather one because it updates every 30 min or so so that takes a little power. Twitter same reason but that pull is so minor it really has zero effect on the day, along with facebook as well. But same amoung of power as having the app running so it is the app pulling the power not the widget. Widget is just pulling infomtion out of the app.

My email and txt messaging widgets pull ZERO and I repeat ZERO power off the phone. All they do is put up information from the respective location on the phone but cause no power drain.
Music widgets pulling power... Nope none there. Most widgets put no additional power drain on the phone. I see you just looking for a reason to bash other phones but show that you have no understanding of how things work.

TheWatchfulOne
May 27, 2011, 04:18 PM
Well, Microsoft and RIM aren't very revolutionary so that stands to reason. But what does this have to do with Apple and iOS 5?;)

petvas
May 27, 2011, 04:20 PM
I want to see a non intrusive notification system, similar to Growl on the Mac. Widgets would be also ok, but only Dashboard like. The lock screen should also show more information, ideally next appointments and last emails.

BLACKFRIDAY
May 27, 2011, 04:22 PM
I suggest you go back and look at SJ announcement of iPhone OS 1.0. He called what we now call Apps Widgets. So nope not not a valid argument there.
Really you should be careful before you start trying to say crap like that and making your self look like a fool.
iPhone OS 1.0 widgets = apps.

I wouldn't be a fool and I'd be careful to not insult a fellow poster in a discussion forum. On another note, have some patience, develop some reading comprehension skills and read the english properly. Just so that, I put things in perspective, I'll add the missing quote:

OR

Any person who has debugged or carefully looked at iPhone OS 1.0 would know that Apple had an idea of putting widgets (made through webkit, like they are on OS X).
This can be easily found by navigating to /Library/Widgets folder in iPhone OS 1.0. The widgets folder was empty though as Apple 'must have' had performance issues.

Depends on the widgets. Widgets on my phone that will pull some battery life are the weather one because it updates every 30 min or so so that takes a little power. Twitter same reason but that pull is so minor it really has zero effect on the day, along with facebook as well. But same amoung of power as having the app running so it is the app pulling the power not the widget. Widget is just pulling infomtion out of the app.

My email and txt messaging widgets pull ZERO and I repeat ZERO power off the phone. All they do is put up information from the respective location on the phone but cause no power drain.
Music widgets pulling power... Nope none there. Most widgets put no additional power drain on the phone. I see you just looking for a reason to bash other phones but show that you have no understanding of how things work.

Try a google search and look for the issues with widgets. But as you said, its a case with some widgets (10%? 70%?); not with all widgets.
A notepad or a sticky widget won't use any RAM if I were to code it. But a twitter or facebook widget which has to constantly stream info to the phone will definitely have an impact on the phone. It depends on how many widgets are in action and how they work.

More network dependent and featured widgets will use more RAM and have an impact on processor usage.

Joshwawilson
May 27, 2011, 04:29 PM
Widgets on an iPhone or iPad would finally get all the android fanboys to shut up.

I can't wait!

reubs
May 27, 2011, 04:32 PM
I've currently got an Android phone (HTC Hero, FTL), and one thing I really like about it is the widget option. I have a pic of my wife, a calendar widget that is minimal, and buttons to turn off Wifi and data at will. Those are all on my homescreen, and it's so nice to not have to dive through setting to switch them off when they're not needed.

If that's what is meant by "widgets", then I'm interested by something like that. The next iPhone will be my first one, and I'm excited to see what will be offered with it; can't wait for WWDC to see iOS 5 unveiled!

Joshwawilson
May 27, 2011, 04:35 PM
I have an android phone...and I love widgets, I use them a lot, especially the calendar and clocks ones. Everyone needs to chill out because in the end, you don't have to use the widgets if you don't want to... Your arguing is childish

MattInOz
May 27, 2011, 04:36 PM

OR

The tale is even more interesting if you look at who gone where been the first iPhone and now. iPhone started as safari pad then Steve saw it retasked the team towards the phone. Some of the team left for palm and made webOS which is mean to be closer to safari pad concept than iPhone. Palm hit financial trouble got brought by HP and some of the webOS team didn't go with them. Notably the widget guy went to android the notification guy came back to apple.

Really interested to see what happens next.

Joshwawilson
May 27, 2011, 04:37 PM
I've currently got an Android phone (HTC Hero, FTL), and one thing I really like about it is the widget option. I have a pic of my wife, a calendar widget that is minimal, and buttons to turn off Wifi and data at will. Those are all on my homescreen, and it's so nice to not have to dive through setting to switch them off when they're not needed.

If that's what is meant by "widgets", then I'm interested by something like that. The next iPhone will be my first one, and I'm excited to see what will be offered with it; can't wait for WWDC to see iOS 5 unveiled!

Same! I have the hero and plan on getting the next iPhone! Widgets are pretty useful especially the mobile Internet connect one and the upcoming schedule one

ghostface147
May 27, 2011, 04:39 PM
Notifications? Yay! Widgets? Pass.

Justinf79
May 27, 2011, 04:43 PM
One of my biggest gripes about the iPhone was the notification system, so this is good to hear that it's getting a revamp. There are some nifty widgets that I use with my N1, and I could see using them on the iPhone if I had one.

I just wish now that the lock screen could display more info/be customizable, and that I had the option to only have the apps I use the most on the home screen, instead of having every fricken app slapped on it.

LoganT
May 27, 2011, 04:49 PM
Itís interesting, youíll notice a pattern over the years of what Apple chooses to do with their updates. Their updates seem to coincide what most people are complaining about over the course of a year, specifically on the Internet.

2007-2008: The iPhone is great but we want Apps! Give us 3rd party Apps!
2008-2009: Third-party Apps come to the iPhone. But we want MMS and Copy/Paste, and a way to get notifications when Iím out of BeeJive IM. If they donít put that in the next update, Iím switching to [Insert Mobile OS here].
2009-2010: Copy and Paste, as well as MMS have arrived. But all I really want to do is listen to Pandora while Iím doing other things. Please Apple give us Multitasking!
2010-2011: Multitasking arrives. But the notification system sucks! Please fix it in the next update. Also, widgets are awesome! Please Apple, give us widgets.

2011: It looks like Widgets and new notifications are going to come in iOS 5.0

If you want to predict whatís coming in 2012 with iOS 6.0, see what the most complaints about iOS are from 2011-2012.

Yes I know, this is all very obvious.

MattInOz
May 27, 2011, 05:00 PM
It’s interesting, you’ll notice a pattern over the years of what Apple chooses to do with their updates. Their updates seem to coincide what most people are complaining about over the course of a year, specifically on the Internet.

2008-2009: Third-party Apps come to the iPhone. But we want MMS and Copy/Paste, and a way to get notifications when I’m out of BeeJive IM. If they don’t put that in the next update, I’m switching to [Insert Mobile OS here].
2009-2010: Copy and Paste, as well as MMS have arrived. But all I really want to do is listen to Pandora while I’m doing other things. Please Apple give us Multitasking!
2010-2011: Multitasking arrives. But the notification system sucks! Please fix it in the next update. Also, widgets are awesome! Please Apple, give us widgets.

If you want to predict what’s coming in 2012 with iOS 6.0, see what the most complaints about iOS are from 2011-2012.

Well personally I hope people complain more about syncing.
Wait no I don't i hope apple improves it.

The question is apple reacting or are they picking their battles really well?
Apple would have to start writing code before the old version has been in people's hands long enough for the noise to start to hit it year after year like that.

Edit:sorry didn't notice but think mms was earlier than you said it was on iPhone 2 at least outside of the u.s.a.

Drag'nGT
May 27, 2011, 05:07 PM
<--- wants so bad
Please blow us away with iOS5!

unlinked
May 27, 2011, 05:11 PM
I think you bring up a valid point (even if you didn't mean to :)) You mentioned the use of launcher pro which I believe is an alternative dock/homescreen organizer. Most iOS users I have observed are looking forward to iOS due to "new features", even though there hasn't been a tangible report on what those will be. One thing every user counts on in a major upgrade is a new UI. When you mention you could have stayed on Froyo you're right because ultimately, aside from behind the scenes stuff that the average user wouldn't notice, the majority of all OS upgrades (iOS and Android) include that UI overhaul. So I think the standard Android user is a little more patient in wanting a new OS because they can mimic the tangible result of an OS upgrade (a new UI) anytime they want.

I'm not sure Android users are all that patient but it is difficult to compare the way iOS and Android update. I have only had one or two very minor OS updates this year but Google maps has updated 7 times. Google could do a lot to streamline the update process (HTC announcing the will stop locking the bootloader is a good step too) but having the apps that matter updatable via the market makes things a lot easier.

Cod3rror
May 27, 2011, 05:16 PM
Awesome!

Notifications and Widgets!

LoganT
May 27, 2011, 05:16 PM
Well personally I hope people complain more about syncing.
Wait no I don't i hope apple improves it.

The question is apple reacting or are they picking their battles really well?
Apple would have to start writing code before the old version has been in people's hands long enough for the noise to start to hit it year after year like that.

Edit:sorry didn't notice but think mms was earlier than you said it was on iPhone 2 at least outside of the u.s.a.

Apple seems to wait to the very last minute to implement a feature. Just as you are about to switch to Android, they give you just what you need. Of course because they wait so long and spend so much time on the features that it's implemented perfectly.

stuffradio
May 27, 2011, 05:20 PM

OR

This can be easily found by navigating to /Library/Widgets folder in iPhone OS 1.0. The widgets folder was empty though as Apple 'must have' had performance issues. The same performance issues which kill every android phone with such a poor reputation of battery life.

Just having an empty folder labeled 'Widgets' doesn't make you the inventor of Widgets. *rolls eyes* That's the dumbest thing I've heard.

Widgets are an older invention, NOT created by Apple or Google. So stop thinking Apple or Google created widgets, and think about smart things for once.

LoganT
May 27, 2011, 05:22 PM
Just having an empty folder labeled 'Widgets' doesn't make you the inventor of Widgets. *rolls eyes* That's the dumbest thing I've heard.

Widgets are an older invention, NOT created by Apple or Google. So stop thinking Apple or Google created widgets, and think about smart things for once.

I think he's saying Apple was to first to think of widgets on a phone.

Rodimus Prime
May 27, 2011, 05:22 PM
It’s interesting, you’ll notice a pattern over the years of what Apple chooses to do with their updates. Their updates seem to coincide what most people are complaining about over the course of a year, specifically on the Internet.

2008-2009: Third-party Apps come to the iPhone. But we want MMS and Copy/Paste, and a way to get notifications when I’m out of BeeJive IM. If they don’t put that in the next update, I’m switching to [Insert Mobile OS here].
2009-2010: Copy and Paste, as well as MMS have arrived. But all I really want to do is listen to Pandora while I’m doing other things. Please Apple give us Multitasking!

If you want to predict what’s coming in 2012 with iOS 6.0, see what the most complaints about iOS are from 2011-2012.

Well look at the list. It is not that they are complaining but just moving on to the next biggest complaint.
At first lack of MMS, Notifications, multitasking was a pretty big.
Now that you have that widgets are hiring on the list. Notifications well still suck after nearly 4 years so I would not hold my breath on a real improvement there. The wanna be multitasking system still needs a lot of work done and people still complain about it. I call iOS multitasking a wannabe at best but a far cry from multitasking.

As for notifications being fix and improved I would say welcome to the year 2000 apple. You finally got your notifications up to dumb phone standards.

I think he's saying Apple was to first to think of widgets on a phone.

It more he is trying to say apple though of it first but I already pointed out to him that when Steve Jobs first announced iPhone OS 1.0 he called what we call Apps now widgets. iPhone OS 1.0 widgets = apps.
So saying Apple thought of it first is a load of crap and just someone trying to worship at Apple and damn the facts.

May 27, 2011, 05:24 PM
You do realize there is more than an email widget, right?

You realize that I was suggesting a Twitter widget on the second bullet, right?

LoganT
May 27, 2011, 05:26 PM
Well look at the list. It is not that they are complaining but just moving on to the next biggest complaint.
Now that you have that widgets are hiring on the list. Notifications well still suck after nearly 4 years so I would not hold my breath on a real improvement there. The wanna be multitasking system still needs a lot of work done and people still complain about it. I call iOS multitasking a wannabe at best but a far cry from multitasking.

Oh, I agree. I don't say "complaining" as a pejorative. I could see them adding more features to multitasking this year.

Rodimus Prime
May 27, 2011, 05:35 PM
You realize that I was suggesting a Twitter widget on the second bullet, right?

and you do know there is more to widgets than social networks.

Example of the widgets I run on my Atrix.

-Weather/clock widget.
Txt messaging widget (Lets me look threw the most recent txt with out opening up the respective app.)
Power control widget- (turn on/off wifi, GPS, Syncing, Bluetooth, Brightness control) Lot easier than going threw a menu system to get to it.
Pandora control
Music Player control
Search widget -
Data widget - Just keeps a running total of data I have pulled over a month both wifi, Cell. Just because I like to see that info.
News feed - just goes threw and keeps an RSS feeds. Updates every 6 hours.
Moon Phase -For no other reason that it is kind of cool looking
Contacts-Contacts I most commonly call or message. I find it useful.
battery widget - mostly used just to quickly get a break down of where I have been burning my battery life.

and of course
Email widget
Facebook
Twitter

Noticed that most of that list is NOT your social network or email.
They are also spread across 6 Home screens. My 7th home screen is kind of used for a test bed of different widgets for me.

I put the most common used apps on the homescreens. everything else is in the app draw.

Now iOS lives in the app draw on Android ALWAYS being open so it is not set up as nicely for widgets.

ufkdo
May 27, 2011, 05:37 PM
I really liked that design :)

GemŁtlichkeit
May 27, 2011, 05:38 PM
Weather, text, email, missed calls, calendar

all I want on the lock screen/notification/widget

Hueyfreeman
May 27, 2011, 05:45 PM
All apple needs to do to make me consider switching in september would be making it possible to not need iTunes. I have a gaming rig and the only program that crashes and gets unresponsive is iTunes. No way I want my smart phone tied to that crap

djrod
May 27, 2011, 05:54 PM
Lion's Finder has icons for iOS devices!

iOS 5 related? http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=12640527&postcount=862

ciTiger
May 27, 2011, 06:20 PM
I really do hope that at least the notification system revamp is coming! Being able to customize the lock screen would also be very nice...

Tom359
May 27, 2011, 06:41 PM
Read this:

http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/2011/05/27/jailbreak-killer-first-victim/

He has "stopped working" on it, and if you "think about it you can figure out why". Interesting.

fattire357
May 27, 2011, 06:50 PM
I completely forgot how ancient the notification system is on the iPhone.

Android has a nice feature where you pull down from top of the screen, and like blinds being lowered you can click on that particular notification. So you can have like 5-6 notifications queued up that you ignore for a while that just pile up in the background.

It's honestly too bad that interface patents are as strict as they are. I think there is a certain level of convergence, where two companies will just happen to come up with a similar idea on how to make an interface. I think Apple is delayed in deploying widgets not because they haven't thought of it, or are too inept to deploy it, but because they have to figure out how to make it different enough from Android such that Apple isn't sued for having it look too similar. The problem is, that ideas converge, you shouldn't be able to put a patent on the concept of a "window" or the concept of a "widget" (or multitouch for that matter, ahem Apple).

The cool ideas of each OS is way too segmented. It totally depends on who patents it first, and we should have more respect for the fact that similar devices for similar functions will probably have some level of convergence in how we interact with them.

QuarterSwede
May 27, 2011, 06:55 PM
Read this:

http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/2011/05/27/jailbreak-killer-first-victim/

He has "stopped working" on it, and if you "think about it you can figure out why". Interesting.
I don't think Apple did. After that post Hajas tweeted: ďYou guys have some lively imaginations!Ē

Steve Ballmer
May 27, 2011, 07:06 PM

I doubt they will be forced upon you.

After all, Apple is all about choice, right?

There will almost assuredly be some kind of toggle between standard notifications are more detailed, "widget-like" notifications.

Finch7
May 27, 2011, 07:09 PM
Herm, really don't like dashboards, widgets gadgets ect. Boils down to weather apps and things that run in the background.. Plus droid has a similar swipe feature.

thefourthpope
May 27, 2011, 07:16 PM
The thing that gets me: riding the subway, open my email, click through eight pop-up notifications telling me iPhone cannot connect to the server. One for each email account. It's just so inefficient.

Reach9
May 27, 2011, 07:23 PM
the widgets should be on the lockscreen, then this upgrade will be amazing.

redkamel
May 27, 2011, 07:23 PM
I dislike the widget screens in that video...one screen for 1-2 widgets? wasteful..I'd be swiping all day. I don't even like widgets in general though.

I like how Apple has resisted widgets and information overload. Not only does the interface look cleaner, but its less stressful using my phone because I don't have information overload on every view.

I'll be bummed if they add widgets. I don't even know a single person who uses dashboard on their Mac!

QuarterSwede
May 27, 2011, 07:26 PM
I dislike the widget screens in that video...one screen for 1-2 widgets? wasteful..I'd be swiping all day. I don't even like widgets in general though.

I like how Apple has resisted widgets and information overload. Not only does the interface look cleaner, but its less stressful using my phone because I don't have information overload on every view.

I'll be bummed if they add widgets.
It seems to me Apple thinks of apps as widgets. I don't see them being added either. Live icons I could see however.

Popeye206
May 27, 2011, 07:53 PM
Although I think some of this could be cool, I'm just not convinced it's all needed. Better notifications... Ok.... That could be improved. Widgets, and someone was complaining about no "true multitasking".... Widgets I think are only useful on the lock screen. Otherwise, I just don't get why you would want to clutter such a small screen. As for Apples multitasking, the only thing I wish you could do is flip from one app to the other without pulling up the multi-task bar. Otherwise... Really... What else do you need on such a small screen?

I hope Apple does what they seem to always do best... Keep it simple, and clean.

Oh... If I had a wish list... Give us a real file system, especially for the iPad.

Stiksi
May 27, 2011, 08:02 PM

I wouldn't put it past Steve "my-size-fits-all" Jobs. I don't think it's likely though, with battery life being one of the main marketing angles of the iPhone.

But a stupid new feature you can't turn completely off?

- Ping still bugs me every time I make a purchase on the iTunes music store. I've never turned the damn thing on.

- Stacks (OS X) prevent me from doing quick file operations on dock folders

- Can't delete Stocks app, YouTube app, Weather app, Compass app, Maps app (that one I actually do use occasionally)

Yeah, that never happens.

LoganT
May 27, 2011, 08:23 PM
As for Apples multitasking, the only thing I wish you could do is flip from one app to the other without pulling up the multi-task bar

Hit the home button once>select another App.

Or do you mean like swipe to a different App?

caspersoong
May 27, 2011, 08:44 PM
Another proof of a late iPhone. This is really sad. Was planning on my father getting one.

Rodimus Prime
May 27, 2011, 09:17 PM

I'll be bummed if they add widgets. I don't even know a single person who uses dashboard on their Mac!

That is because dashboard is crap in how it was done. It was poorly set up and not set up for an always there set up. MS did a much better set up using gadgets. A few useful ones can be put on the side of the monitor away from the icons that provide a lot of useful infomation. It goes really well with wide screen monitors which Apple has been using for a very long time. If you need the screen space they get cover up but if you are on the desktop it is a great use for extra space. Apple way of doing it the only way to use its dashboard widget is to cover up what you are actively using so making it rather useless in my book. No one uses them because they were poorly done plan and simple.

iOS current set up is also poorly set up to handle widgets. It home screen is just a list of apps making it rather useless in my book. Android App draw set up is by far better because then you can put your come used stuff on home screens along with widgets and then when you want some other app you bring up the app draw and go to it.

This is why I have little hope of Apple doing widgets very well at all. It would require a massive change to iOS and it turn into something much more like Android to make widgets useful.

LoganT
May 27, 2011, 09:34 PM
Another proof of a late iPhone. This is really sad. Was planning on my father getting one.

How is this more proof of a late iPhone?

May 27, 2011, 09:39 PM
-Weather/clock widget.

I can see a couple of uses for a clock widget, for weather, it's not so pressing I can't just open the app.

Txt messaging widget (Lets me look threw the most recent txt with out opening up the respective app.)

You said there's more than social networking, and yet one of your examples is basically a social network. Plus, as I've said, privacy could be a concern with that.

Power control widget- (turn on/off wifi, GPS, Syncing, Bluetooth, Brightness control) Lot easier than going threw a menu system to get to it.

Wifi, GPS, Syncing, Bluetooth. Is it really worth the RAM and battery drain? I mean, how many times per week are you changing your Wifi or GPS settings? As for Brightness, on the iPad it's in the drawer, but how often are you changing that, either? Enough where you'll sacrifice battery and RAM?

Pandora control
Music Player control

In the drawer on iPhone and iPad, so it takes up no home screen space, plus it doesn't just go for Pandora or iPod, but anything that plays audio, like YouTube, which can play audio only in the background.

Search widget -

Screen to the left of the first home screen on iPhone.

Data widget - Just keeps a running total of data I have pulled over a month both wifi, Cell. Just because I like to see that info.

At risk of being cheesy, there's an app for that.

What's the point of having that as a widget if it updates that infrequently? I could somewhat see it if it updated every 30 minutes or 1 hour.

I struggle to think of anything more pointless.

I can see the validity of this for some people, me, I'd rather go Phone --> Favorites

battery widget - mostly used just to quickly get a break down of where I have been burning my battery life.

"There's an app for that"

and of course
Email widget
Facebook
Twitter

Twitter I can see. Mail I wouldn't use due to privacy. Facebook... I wouldn't use that as a widget.

Notice that most of those are easier or not things you would need to do on a short time limit on an iPhone, while not draining battery and RAM

They are also spread across 6 Home screens. My 7th home screen is kind of used for a test bed of different widgets for me.

I have two home screens on both my iPhone and my iPad. I don't want to go any higher than three, because I don't wish to scroll too much. Six would drive me off the wall.

I put the most common used apps on the homescreens. everything else is in the app draw.

What? Where I come from, all apps are in the same place, not bouncing around the OS. And the drawer is how we multitask. Which iOS does automatically. And conserves RAM while doing so. Automatically.

Now iOS lives in the app draw on Android ALWAYS being open so it is not set up as nicely for widgets.

I'm lost here... Because iOS has an app drawer... Android is open and not as good for widgets as iOS which doesn't have widgets?

ChrisTX
May 27, 2011, 09:40 PM
The notifications have got to go. Nothing worse than typing out an e-mail or text, or anything for that matter and in the middle of typing, a notification pops up in the middle of the screen usually causing me to press something I never intended to press in the first place.

/V\acpower
May 27, 2011, 10:03 PM
One thing I want :

In the keyboard, the button that let us "change" our keyboard language (also changing auto-correct at the same time) to change from english to french (example) should also serve to remove auto-correct.

I mean, as much as I want to use auto correct, there is always some situation where its a pain in the ass. I get so angry when the iPhone auto-correct a nickname or an e-mail address.

Wifi, GPS, Syncing, Bluetooth. Is it really worth the RAM and battery drain? I mean, how many times per week are you changing your Wifi or GPS settings? As for Brightness, on the iPad it's in the drawer, but how often are you changing that, either? Enough where you'll sacrifice battery and RAM?

A lot more than you obviously.

Brightness is a pain to change in iOS on the iPhone, and the automatic "adjustment" isn't really useful. Sometime you are in a dark environment, sometime you are outside, you want to be able to ajust it easily with a slider.

About Wi-Fi, the problem is that lots of public wi-fi need some kind of "browser activation" for the device to access internet, and sometime it can take several seconds for the Wi-Fi to set-up. And since the iPhone is set up to use Wi-Fi when it can instead of 3G, i find myself in a lot of situation where i want to check my email, but everything is just "jammed" since the Phone, instead of using 3G is waiting for one Wi-Fi to answer back and activate, sometime this particular Wi-Fi is far and the phone get weak signal, but it still wait for it. So i have to go in the settings to deactivate Wi-Fi because i don't want to waste my time waiting for the public wi-fi to answer and just use the damn 3G.

So yes, I happen to use these a lot.

pizz
May 27, 2011, 10:10 PM
Looks like iOS is finally catching up to Android :)

fattire357
May 27, 2011, 10:24 PM
I can see a couple of uses for a clock widget, for weather, it's not so pressing I can't just open the app.

You said there's more than social networking, and yet one of your examples is basically a social network. Plus, as I've said, privacy could be a concern with that.

In the drawer on iPhone and iPad, so it takes up no home screen space, plus it doesn't just go for Pandora or iPod, but anything that plays audio, like YouTube, which can play audio only in the background.

What's the point of having that as a widget if it updates that infrequently? I could somewhat see it if it updated every 30 minutes or 1 hour.

I can see the validity of this for some people, me, I'd rather go Phone --> Favorites

Twitter I can see. Mail I wouldn't use due to privacy. Facebook... I wouldn't use that as a widget.

Notice that most of those are easier or not things you would need to do on a short time limit on an iPhone, while not draining battery and RAM

I have two home screens on both my iPhone and my iPad. I don't want to go any higher than three, because I don't wish to scroll too much. Six would drive me off the wall.

What? Where I come from, all apps are in the same place, not bouncing around the OS. And the drawer is how we multitask. Which iOS does automatically. And conserves RAM while doing so. Automatically.

I'm lost here... Because iOS has an app drawer... Android is open and not as good for widgets as iOS which doesn't have widgets?

The crux of your argument about widgets draining battery and performance just isn't true. We all saw how much copy and paste drained battery and made our phones slow :rolleyes:. Thank god Apple still hasn't implemented copy and paste, our phones would be ruined. Wait what year is it? Oh sorry, I should have posted that two years ago.

Re: App drawer comment. I didn't understand what he meant either, but the app drawer basically is like the applications folder in OSX. It helps you clean up your home screen, so you have more room for widgets. I only have three pages as well, because I put what I consider worthless apps (Android equivalent of "stocks", etc.) in the app drawer and never see them again.

fattire357
May 27, 2011, 10:25 PM

:grabs popcorn:

:D

Krizoitz
May 27, 2011, 10:26 PM
Could you elaborate where Android has failed and that Apple has excelled?

First off, if you prefer Android and it gets the job done for you, I've got problem with that, its your life after all :)

As to your question, let's see off the top of my head:

- iPhones get timely updates, the phones for sale all have the latest versions
- iPhones have higher, in many cases much higher user satisfaction ratings
- Quality of apps for iPhone is much higher as development tools are better, users are more likely to buy apps and therefore devs are more likely to make money. Piracy and rip offs are a huge problem in the Android marketplace
- iOS and it's apps are much more consistent UI wise, even Googles own apps are inconsistent, heck the order of the four buttons (home, back, search, menu) differs from Android model to model. That's kinda like if some cars put the accelerator on the right and others on the left.
- Apple makes money by selling you a product, Google makes money by selling information about you to it's ad buyers. 97% of Googles revenue is from ad sales. Users are the higher priority for Apple, for example they were willing to tell publishers that users have to opt in to providing them data. Advertisers are the higher priority for Google. Carriers too.
- Speaking of making money, that's also something Apple is better at. That Android phones practically have to be given away in some cases does not speak well for the quality of the platform

zetsurin
May 27, 2011, 10:29 PM

YES! And let me say it again: YES, it's worth it.

People need to stop exaggerating about this battery drain and memory hogging fears. You've been listening to Jobs too much. The power control widget uses no CPU resources unless it's actually in the process of turning something on or off. Just as much as when you go and do this via settings in iOS. Memory? I don't see any difference in memory usage whatsoever between adding Power Control to my launch compared to not.

Besides, I prefer to have a choice to use this sort of thing than not. Nokia phones had easy to use profiles for decades now, iOS still does not. This whole close app, open app, close app, open app (or 'switch' 'switch' 'switch' if you like) nonsense to do anything in iOS is really quite tedious and widgets make that workflow a lot more efficient.

Heck, why don't we just make the launcher an image of a big Apple and only show the app icons when you press the home button, as surely they must use up CPU and memory resources to display! While we're at it, let's make the background just a solid colour as bitmaps use too much CPU and memory resources!

Rodimus Prime
May 27, 2011, 10:29 PM

I can see you never have had any time of tempture thing always feeding you useful information at a glance. Biggest thing I am looking for is temp. Having high/low is a bonus and then just a pretty picture for current conditions. Also you have to wait for it to load and refresh the data. I do not.

your loss. but it is not something you can read when my phone is lock so privacy is not an issue. I never consider txt social network but more as a communication tool. It also not on the main home screen for me so again even on an unlock not going to be up.

umm lets see looking in phone memory of running apps...... Hmm it is in a 216kb of setting which means that widget is (along with the search one) is among the 216kb of memory for all the settings on the phone and guess what ZERO battery life. So that means I will say maybe 50kb and 50kb out of 512 meg (or in my case 1 gig is nothing) does having a wallpaper up on your phone take battery life NOPE. Takes a little mem but when it is taking less than 0.1% it is a non issue. Memory is cheap and lots of it. My contact list sucks up more room out of memory (9megs) than all my settings.

Sorry that you have to live in an the App draw only world.

sorry the screen to the left on the iPhone sucks compare to the one on Andriod since the search one I was referring to is web search/ bring up voice commands.

Not the same. you have to click on something and let it load. I on the other hand have a widget that just auto updates and can see with a swipe 2 screens to the left.

personal choice but I could reduce it to 30 mins. Since it just cycles threw all the stories so I can read them. Generally enough to see them all and if I run out I can and do manually refresh them but most of the time I do not read everything as it is.

not going to argue there. It is complete pointless. It is there for nothing more than a just because

Your choice. For me it just easier.

again not the same. Also I do not believe there is an App for that for iOS as no way to get access to that information. This widget just is more or less a short cut straight to something built into android and puts a battery % there. As for memory straight from the phone 51kb no battery drain off of it.

mail is set up a lot like the txt message one. You have no access to it when the phone is lock and all that is there is who is it from and subject line. Nothing else. Not much use to most people but a great use to me to see if it is an email I am waiting on.

sorry but you are complete wrong there. I do understand iOS and do use it on my iPod so nope wrong on that account and pulling less than 1% of my ram and no pull on my battery so a non issue. It is more time consuming.

wow that is not very many apps. I know for a fact I have at least 6 on my iPod at this point. Android you can have as few as 3 Home screens. My phone is set up that common Apps and weather on main screen. the others are set left or right of and i switch between them. Hit home again on the main one all home screen pop up and quick jump to any of the 7.

You are not bouncing around the OS. 1 button hit and ALL the apps are there just like iOS even if I have them on one of my home screens.

You are not bouncing all over the OS. You also have no understanding of Android nor widgets as I have just shown you. You also have no understanding of memory management and why having maybe having 1-2% of it at most of total memory handing widgets is chump change when compared to other apps in your multitasking suck up a hell of a lot more memory in.

sarcosis
May 27, 2011, 10:30 PM
I like both concepts. There are a few things that I would like to see as widgets. I don't think that widgets will take over apps, but compliment them.

As for the performance aspect, remember,this is Apple. If it ain't done right, it isn't coming out. With widgets, doing it right would be no
t killing the battery life.

Hueyfreeman
May 27, 2011, 10:30 PM
Widgets work for most. And others refuse to see any benifit of it. For many of us there is no point in arguing about it. Most likely it will be an optional feature. (hint: if you don't like it...DON'T USE IT) no body cares about how against it you maybe.

fattire357
May 27, 2011, 10:34 PM
That is because dashboard is crap in how it was done. It was poorly set up and not set up for an always there set up. MS did a much better set up using gadgets. A few useful ones can be put on the side of the monitor away from the icons that provide a lot of useful infomation. It goes really well with wide screen monitors which Apple has been using for a very long time. If you need the screen space they get cover up but if you are on the desktop it is a great use for extra space.

I actually like the way Dashboard is set up more than Windows 7 gadgets, just because I only use widgets on-demand (What's the temperature? What day is it?) - and windows gadgets require minimizing windows, or they clutter your pretty desktop background picture. I don't need them around 24x7. On a mac, I just put the mouse to the corner... figure everything out in a snap.

zetsurin
May 27, 2011, 11:07 PM

Naturally, the claims will be the Apple implementation is 'better' of course. And they won't be able to justify the statement technically. They'll just say 'oh it uses less ram and cpu'.

The fact of the matter is that competent developers have been writing applications under multitasking operating systems for decades. Such apps spend most of their time in a sleep state. For this reason I believe (from first hand experience coding under it) that the iOS implementation is as convoluted as it is unnecessary. Specific cases for this, specific cases for that. All unnecessary.

But this is what it's come to: another example is that people now claim that different screen resolutions is 'fragmentation' when in reality developers have been writing windowed applications that can SCALE in size for decades now.

Have we really devolved into numpties who can't code multitasking applications and run in fear of the concept of dynamically resizing user interfaces? Dear me.

mongoos150
May 27, 2011, 11:37 PM
Thank JESUS they're revamping notifications (or lack thereof). There's no excuse for the horridly intrusive pop-ups iOS has now.

Yankee617
May 27, 2011, 11:39 PM
I'd like to have folders for playlists in the iPod app in iOS 5.

Under Mac OS X, I've created numerous playlists and I have them organized in a hierarchy of playlist folders within the iTunes application. This organization was carefully thought out and really helps me use these playlists. The first disappointment I had when I got my new iPad was to learn that it doesn't support playlist folders, just one long flat list of playlists.

Apple: Please bring playlist folders to iOS 5.

===

I'd also like The New Yorker app to support downloads in the background. Its ridiculous that I have to watch the progress bar as the next issue slowly downloads. I should be able to do something more useful with another app while The New Yorker app continues to download the next issue.

erzhik
May 28, 2011, 12:40 AM
No matter what some people might say, widgets are important and make life easier. What's so bad about getting your data of information without launching any apps. And don't bring up battery issue or lag. In terms of battery, widgets don't drain a lot of it. You launching app every five minutes drains more battery than a widget. And if you are so against widgets, you don't have to use them. So why not give people a choice? why are so many people afraid of choice?

And with today's processor speeds, widgets barely have any impact. and again, you don't have to use them. I personally can't live without widgets on my N900. This is a welcome change.

rav16
May 28, 2011, 12:42 AM
Notifications and need sone sort of multitasking like webos ,it's sometimes pain to hit the home button twice . My self I don't care of widgets too much.

koobcamuk
May 28, 2011, 02:25 AM
I completely forgot how ancient the notification system is on the iPhone.

Android has a nice feature where you pull down from top of the screen, and like blinds being lowered you can click on that particular notification. So you can have like 5-6 notifications queued up that you ignore for a while that just pile up in the background.

It's honestly too bad that interface patents are as strict as they are. I think there is a certain level of convergence, where two companies will just happen to come up with a similar idea on how to make an interface. I think Apple is delayed in deploying widgets not because they haven't thought of it, or are too inept to deploy it, but because they have to figure out how to make it different enough from Android such that Apple isn't sued for having it look too similar. The problem is, that ideas converge, you shouldn't be able to put a patent on the concept of a "window" or the concept of a "widget" (or multitouch for that matter, ahem Apple).

The cool ideas of each OS is way too segmented. It totally depends on who patents it first, and we should have more respect for the fact that similar devices for similar functions will probably have some level of convergence in how we interact with them.

I use this now.

http://www.peterhajas.com/blog/2011/2/27/mobilenotifier-beta3-copious-corn-flakes-1.html

Michael Scrip
May 28, 2011, 02:36 AM

Who here was really using Android 1.0 ???

Popeye206
May 28, 2011, 03:51 AM
Hit the home button once>select another App.

Or do you mean like swipe to a different App?

I mean swipe to another app when an app is open. It is annoying to have to double click the home button to switch to another open app. The home button should only take you to the home screen. A two finger swipe should switch you to the next open app.

Reading through all the comments, some of the arguements here seem to be very subjective. Bottom line is, I think most of the iOS fans here believe that when Apple does bring us Widgets or any feature, its going to be implemented in a very clean and stable manner with minimal or no impact on battery or performance.

BlindMellon
May 28, 2011, 05:53 AM

Way to innovate, Apple! Put out a halfed baked OS and wait for the top complaints to roll in to decide what to add in your next update.

I guess my comment dealt with the OP's use of the word "revolutionary". When something exists, in this case widgets and/or the notification bar, it's quite difficult to ascertain that when it's released by Apple it's automatically going to be so awesome that it is considered innovative. Android using widgets was hardly revolutionary since it's not a new concept. Just because Apple is doing it doesn't mean it hasn't been done before. I'd love for someone to be serious and post how Apple could potentially revolutionize either the widget system or notification bar. It's difficult to revolutionize something that is designed to only have a maximum amount of impact and where there is a ceiling in place in regards to expected usability and/or functionality.
You, sir, have made so much sense here that I wonder how you wandered onto an Apple forum. Bravo!

As for notifications being fix and improved I would say welcome to the year 2000 apple. You finally got your notifications up to dumb phone standards.

It more he is trying to say apple though of it first but I already pointed out to him that when Steve Jobs first announced iPhone OS 1.0 he called what we call Apps now widgets. iPhone OS 1.0 widgets = apps.
So saying Apple thought of it first is a load of crap and just someone trying to worship at Apple and damn the facts.
I'm gonna go ahead and give you a +10 here. It's the Religion of Apple (http://www.psfk.com/2011/05/secrets-of-the-superbrands-how-apple-products-affect-your-brain.html/).

Naturally, the claims will be the Apple implementation is 'better' of course. And they won't be able to justify the statement technically. They'll just say 'oh it uses less ram and cpu'.

The fact of the matter is that competent developers have been writing applications under multitasking operating systems for decades. Such apps spend most of their time in a sleep state. For this reason I believe (from first hand experience coding under it) that the iOS implementation is as convoluted as it is unnecessary. Specific cases for this, specific cases for that. All unnecessary.

But this is what it's come to: another example is that people now claim that different screen resolutions is 'fragmentation' when in reality developers have been writing windowed applications that can SCALE in size for decades now.

Have we really devolved into numpties who can't code multitasking applications and run in fear of the concept of dynamically resizing user interfaces? Dear me.
This is what kills me. Apple OS programmers operate inside their own glass temple and scoff at all the other innovations out there while prophesying their own hamstrung processes as gospel.

The fact that OS apps can't scale automatically and must be specifically written to a given resolution is laughable. The Apple techs need to get out more.

hamis92
May 28, 2011, 06:56 AM
Notifications: Apple can only do better :D

Widgets: I'll be happy if we get them. I use an iPhone 4 but I also have a ZTE Blade and have to say that widgets are really handy over there on the Android side of the fence.

hamis92
May 28, 2011, 07:11 AM

Under Mac OS X, I've created numerous playlists and I have them organized in a hierarchy of playlist folders within the iTunes application. This organization was carefully thought out and really helps me use these playlists. The first disappointment I had when I got my new iPad was to learn that it doesn't support playlist folders, just one long flat list of playlists.

My iPhone 4 and iPad 1 both support playlist folders in their iPod apps. They're running iOS 4.3.3.

WeegieMac
May 28, 2011, 07:16 AM
I still don't get the obsession with weather in the smartphone age.

Everyone seems to want to know the weather, have it on their lockscreen, etc.

Call me old fashioned, but if I want to know the weather I look out the window. And here in Glasgow, the answer is usually, "It's pishin' it doon".

KnightWRX
May 28, 2011, 07:36 AM
I still don't get the obsession with weather in the smartphone age.

Everyone seems to want to know the weather, have it on their lockscreen, etc.

Call me old fashioned, but if I want to know the weather I look out the window. And here in Glasgow, the answer is usually, "It's pishin' it doon".

Yeah, except I want the weather for later in the day, not for right now. You see, when your means of transportation doesn't have a roof or windows or anything really besides 2 wheels and handlebars, you kinda want to know if you're dragging the rain suit and what helmet visor is appropriate.

I've never been into weather as much as since I got a motorcycle.

Now that you don't want to know short term forecasts is not my problem. My problem is that unlocking the phone, opening the app, waiting for it to load, is a pain. A widget solves this.

henrystar
May 28, 2011, 07:44 AM
iOS is going from simple to more complicated....
That is the great danger....Apple is the computer for the rest of us!

EvilEvil
May 28, 2011, 07:59 AM
So they're ripping off Android now LOL.

May 28, 2011, 08:10 AM
I will accept the addition of widgets only if none are automatically installed, since I despise them and do not want nor have any need of them. If Apple forcea them on me, I will switch to Windows Phone 7.

NOTE: I am completely kidding about Windows Phone.

Oh, and a new feature I want to see on iOS 5 is the ability to "Hide" the apps you start out with, say, Stocks. I want to be able to hold it down, and then instead of seeing an "x", seeing a "-", which would get it off my home screen and into a 4th dimension, such as the Ethernet. Then, if I want it, I could go into settings and bring it back to my phone.

NOTE: I am completely kidding about the Ethernet. I am not stupid.

cwwilson
May 28, 2011, 08:11 AM
The two things I liked most on Android were the notifications and widgets. To see those on iOS would make me very happy as it would put a break into the whole 'grid-UI' thing.

Lennholm
May 28, 2011, 08:17 AM
I think non-interactive, strictly informative widgets on the lock screen will be more useful than this.

reubs
May 28, 2011, 08:20 AM
So they're ripping off Android now LOL.

That's not entirely true. Apple was running widgets on the OS X dashboard about 5 years ago. I've got to think that the work that was put into mini-applications running like that was a precursor in development for widgets on an iOS device. I'm betting Apple was waiting to get it just right to keep from hogging RAM and killing battery life.

Lennholm
May 28, 2011, 08:30 AM
That's not entirely true. Apple was running widgets on the OS X dashboard about 5 years ago. I've got to think that the work that was put into mini-applications running like that was a precursor in development for widgets on an iOS device. I'm betting Apple was waiting to get it just right to keep from hogging RAM and killing battery life.

And Dashboard Widgets was a rip-off from Konfabulator.
I think it's far more likely that Apple didn't think widgets would be useful on the phone, and are now working on it after Android proved differently. If they had worked on it from the beginning they would've been able to implement it when they implemented multi-tasking. Simply put; it was an afterthought and they're trying to catch up

Mattsasa
May 28, 2011, 08:33 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

Itís interesting, youíll notice a pattern over the years of what Apple chooses to do with their updates. Their updates seem to coincide what most people are complaining about over the course of a year, specifically on the Internet.

2008-2009: Third-party Apps come to the iPhone. But we want MMS and Copy/Paste, and a way to get notifications when Iím out of BeeJive IM. If they donít put that in the next update, Iím switching to [Insert Mobile OS here].
2009-2010: Copy and Paste, as well as MMS have arrived. But all I really want to do is listen to Pandora while Iím doing other things. Please Apple give us Multitasking!

If you want to predict whatís coming in 2012 with iOS 6.0, see what the most complaints about iOS are from 2011-2012.

No, all you have to do to know what's in the next update, is to look at what current jailbreakers are doing with their phones.

LoganT
May 28, 2011, 08:35 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

No, all you have to do to know what's in the next update, is to look at what current jailbreakers are doing with their phones.

Or what people are asking for the most.

Oletros
May 28, 2011, 09:14 AM
I'm betting Apple was waiting to get it just right to keep from hogging RAM and killing battery life.

And why they would hog RAM and kill battery life?

LoganT
May 28, 2011, 09:15 AM

Some might say, because they're always running.

unlinked
May 28, 2011, 09:28 AM

Because that is the stock reason people on web forums give for Apple not including features in the iPhone.

InsanelyApple
May 28, 2011, 09:29 AM
If Apple let's us customize how the phone looks like (i.e. themes) and gives widgets I'd be tempted to remove my jailbreak.

kwiiboy
May 28, 2011, 09:29 AM
and you do know there is more to widgets than social networks.

Example of the widgets I run on my Atrix.

-Weather/clock widget.
Pandora control
Music Player control
Search widget -

and of course
Email widget
Facebook
Twitter

Just curious, how long does your battery last on average. Be honest.

kwiiboy
May 28, 2011, 09:36 AM
Is it bad that I just carry around an iPad 2 3G and use a dumb phone? I feel left out... :p

Lennholm
May 28, 2011, 09:38 AM
Because that is the stock reason people on web forums give for Apple not including features in the iPhone.

And at the same time, when discussing why Apple didn't advertise the RAM of iPad 2 because it's only half of the compitors', we are being told by these same people that "specs mean nothing" and "the RAM is sufficient".

tigres
May 28, 2011, 09:41 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Am I the only one here that wishes for some true customization?

Notification revamp yes, widgets, ok. But give everyone a way to make the device personalized. JB is kind of getting long in the tooth, yet necessary for most that need the tools offered.

I know, a pipe dream...

w00master
May 28, 2011, 09:41 AM
I should save this thread for later. So many on here "pooh-poohing" widgets:

"Oh, I'll never use that. It's crap."

"Never used widgets on the mac, won't use it here."

Blah.

Blah.

Blah.

I GUARANTEE 99% of you will be using widgets the moment it rolls out on iOS 5. (That is if the rumor is actually true). (By the way, most are already using a "widget" on iOS: the Calendar app. How? It shows the current date *live* on the icon itself. It's technically functioning as a widget. Yeah, seeing the "date" on the icon itself is SOOO useless :rolleyes:)

Saving this thread for later. Much of these pooh-poohing comments remind me of: "Oh Apple will NEVER go with Intel!" *or* "Oh, iPhone will NEVER got to Verizon!"

Yeah... look how that turned out.

w00master

éalgiris
May 28, 2011, 09:43 AM
And at the same time, when discussing why Apple didn't advertise the RAM of iPad 2 because it's only half of the compitors', we are being told by these same people that "specs mean nothing" and "the RAM is sufficient".

So Apple should do the same as others? Bloat iOS and just add more RAM to compensate?

D4F
May 28, 2011, 09:54 AM
Just curious, how long does your battery last on average. Be honest.

Battery is not a issue anymore.
Read latest android phones reviews.

Better than iPhone with similar usage. Times change. Some of you should change your arguments too. They are old like iOS.

Lennholm
May 28, 2011, 09:55 AM
So Apple should do the same as others? Bloat iOS and just add more RAM to compensate?

Lol, I'm not saying what they should do, my post highlighted how the Apple fanatics defend Apple no matter what, no matter how inconsistent they are. First they defend the lack of features by saying the RAM isn't enough to handle it, then they defend the small amount of RAM by saying that no more is needed, that it's sufficient.

kerr
May 28, 2011, 10:49 AM
I'm not sure what the big deal about widgets is.

I don't use widgets on the desktop and don't plan on using them on the iPhone either.

I'm not sure of the value of such widgets

Are you guys serious? I absolutely need a quicker way to toggle Airplane Mode, WiFi and Bluetooth on and off. The current need to navigate through settings is tedious and tiresome. I want an icon/widget that I can press to toggle these things on and off.

Or is what I want not what you would consider widgets?

fabianjj
May 28, 2011, 10:50 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

One thing I want :

In the keyboard, the button that let us "change" our keyboard language (also changing auto-correct at the same time) to change from english to french (example) should also serve to remove auto-correct.

I mean, as much as I want to use auto correct, there is always some situation where its a pain in the ass. I get so angry when the iPhone auto-correct a nickname or an e-mail address.

A lot more than you obviously.

Brightness is a pain to change in iOS on the iPhone, and the automatic "adjustment" isn't really useful. Sometime you are in a dark environment, sometime you are outside, you want to be able to ajust it easily with a slider.

About Wi-Fi, the problem is that lots of public wi-fi need some kind of "browser activation" for the device to access internet, and sometime it can take several seconds for the Wi-Fi to set-up. And since the iPhone is set up to use Wi-Fi when it can instead of 3G, i find myself in a lot of situation where i want to check my email, but everything is just "jammed" since the Phone, instead of using 3G is waiting for one Wi-Fi to answer back and activate, sometime this particular Wi-Fi is far and the phone get weak signal, but it still wait for it. So i have to go in the settings to deactivate Wi-Fi because i don't want to waste my time waiting for the public wi-fi to answer and just use the damn 3G.

So yes, I happen to use these a lot.

About the keyboard thing, iOS already does that, just change the keyboard language to the one you want to use, and then there will be a little globe next to the space button that allows you to change it. It changes both the keyboard layout and the spell-checking language.

Tha Professor
May 28, 2011, 10:50 AM
If there is one thing that turns me away from android, it is the widgets.. Keep 'em off my iPhone!!

Notification system doesn't really bother me as it is.. Only problem is Skype popping up when I am at my computer! I hate that - but thats Skype's problem...

petvas
May 28, 2011, 10:51 AM
If there is one thing that turns me away from android, it is the widgets.. Keep 'em off my iPhone!!

Notification system doesn't really bother me as it is.. Only problem is Skype popping up when I am at my computer! I hate that - but thats Skype's problem...

Notifications on iOS are badly implemented. They should be so much better. Just wait and you will hopefully see...

kerr
May 28, 2011, 11:16 AM
An absolute must.

Wifi, GPS, Syncing, Bluetooth. Is it really worth the RAM and battery drain? I mean, how many times per week are you changing your Wifi or GPS settings?
Wifi - at least 3 times a day on and off
Bluetooth - twice a day on and off

I still don't get the obsession with weather in the smartphone age. Everyone seems to want to know the weather, have it on their lockscreen, etc. Call me old fashioned, but if I want to know the weather I look out the window. And here in Glasgow, the answer is usually, "It's pishin' it doon".
Well, I work in a basement and I usually like to know what it's like out, so I can take or leave my jumper, hat, umbrella etc.

unlinked
May 28, 2011, 11:16 AM

Why would a feature that is completely optional put you off Android?

lilo777
May 28, 2011, 11:34 AM

This just shows your fanboyism. You do not have to use widgets if you do not want to.

reubs
May 28, 2011, 12:22 PM
I think it's far more likely that Apple didn't think widgets would be useful on the phone, and are now working on it after Android proved differently. If they had worked on it from the beginning they would've been able to implement it when they implemented multi-tasking. Simply put; it was an afterthought and they're trying to catch up

You're right; I had forgotten about Konfabulator. I tried to run that while I had an ill-equipped Dell one time, and I've tried to forget about it since then.

Saturn1217
May 28, 2011, 01:24 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; HTC Glacier Build/FRG83) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Maybe this has already been mentioned but wouldn't Widgets be useful as a quick way to change setting like brightness 3g, wifi, etc. When I had my ipod touch 4 having to go into the settings all the time was very annoying.

I have a myouch 4g now and being able to quickly adjust the phone settings really improves its usefulness as a phone. If apple could bring this and reflow of text to safari I would consider an iPhone. (Although android suites me fine too)

DeathChill
May 28, 2011, 01:42 PM
Just curious why you guys are always toggling your settings? I rock my iPhone 4 with EVERYTHING on and 100% brightness and still get a very usable amount out of it. I imagine lesser settings would do even better.

Not that I am arguing against it, but I just thought that battery life and the need to not toggle settings constantly is an advantage of the iOS platform.

Regardless, I'm excited to see any changes iOS 5 might bring.

dolph0291
May 28, 2011, 01:47 PM
Better notification sounds good to me - widgets not so much.

Widgets will only suck memory, processing time and battery time. I have no need for them. I don't use them on my Mac and I don't want them on my iPhone.

Oh well, as long as I have the option to not enable them its fine - as long as no one whines about reduced battery time and other related issues. But then - Apple did a really smart thing for the multitasking avoiding most problems, maybe they have some genius idea for widgets (still - I have no use from them, but maybe others do)

It seems to me Apple has always shied away from things that would suck up battery power. Hence lack of widgets.

The video looks a lot like the way Lion is set up. Swipe to the left and there's your dashboard widgets. It's better in Lion because it doesn't layer over the other screen. But I still don't use a lot of widgets on my computer because they do suck up processing power - some of the poorly designed ones a lot.

Therefore I doubt I would care much about widgets on my iPhone. But new notifications would be welcome - also on Lion. Those dialogue boxes get the way and Lion continues to use them. I'm no fan.

Speaking of battery -- remember when the iPhone came out and all the critics doomed it to failure and oblivion and failure because it didn't have a removable battery? No one mentions a lack of removable battery any longer.

fattire357
May 28, 2011, 02:12 PM
Some might say, because they're always running.

The amount of misunderstanding in this forum is alarming. Widgets aren't always running.

Most of my widgets on my Android run as a background service. You can configure it to run every X hours, or under a certain condition (device wake up, load app, etc.).

Obviously, the developer tweaks this # based on the use. Calender widgets are okay updating every 12 hours, if that, whereas weather widgets might be better suited updating on every wake, or maybe every 3 hours. Loading the app would force an update for each widget.

Having a widget wake up and send a few packets every 12 hours will probably impact battery by 0.0000001% To say it impacts battery life is a gross misunderstanding.

LoganT
May 28, 2011, 02:30 PM
The amount of misunderstanding in this forum is alarming. Widgets aren't always running.

Most of my widgets on my Android run as a background service. You can configure it to run every X hours, or under a certain condition (device wake up, load app, etc.).

Obviously, the developer tweaks this # based on the use. Calender widgets are okay updating every 12 hours, if that, whereas weather widgets might be better suited updating on every wake, or maybe every 3 hours. Loading the app would force an update for each widget.

Having a widget wake up and send a few packets every 12 hours will probably impact battery by 0.0000001% To say it impacts battery life is a gross misunderstanding.

I know. That's why I said "some".

Oletros
May 28, 2011, 02:43 PM
(By the way, most are already using a "widget" on iOS: the Calendar app. How? It shows the current date *live* on the icon itself. It's technically functioning as a widget. Yeah, seeing the "date" on the icon itself is SOOO useless :rolleyes:

And icon badges

MacAddict1978
May 28, 2011, 02:46 PM

You mean like the ones that are already there? The icons already do this/can. Mail tells you you're unread, calendar tells you the date, Facebook tells you how many new items... weather doesn't work but should...

If they improved notifications, I think more developers would bother with the dynamic app icons. The info pushed to them is always late or lacks accuracy. It really is the battle for the battery life with these things. Pushing doesn't have the drain of apps ever updating... but it's SLOW.

And the notification bubbles are annoying. How hard was it out the gate to just have a populated list view the stayed put and let you tap each item and launch it's app? Notifications now just go poof and you have to remember what all was there in the bubbles. Irritating. I'd also like drop down access to WiFi controls and the like from the top bar.

Widgets on my desktop are dumb and I NEVER use them. (Most of them don't even work right and no one develops them anymore.) Now that Android phones have been in the hands of friends for awhile, I am jealous a bit at how easy they can see info right on the lock screen or home screen. Quick snap shots would be useful: see the last few Facebook posts, email, weather, etc. Things you currently have to open separate apps for just for a 5 second look that is a minute or 2 at a clip now 10 seconds. Sure it's lazy, but it's easy. And if you don't like/want them, just don't use them.

g-boac
May 28, 2011, 03:28 PM
One thing I miss from my Blackberry is the ability to know at the top of the screen how many different unread things I had. This included unread:
e-mail text messages google voice text messages BBM messages, and calendar reminders

These were all at the top of the screen with icons, in the location where iOS puts the clock, the battery meter and the network connectivity information.

Honestly, the lack of clutter and noise is what I love most about the iPhone and the entire Apple Experience. Which includes my Mac. I see a battery status indicator, Bluetooth connectivity status of Bluetooth is on, and time.

I can see #unread emails, SMS, phone calls, voicemails when looking at my home screen. Too much clutter is confusing - has anybody been to Best Buy and looked at the System Tray of ANY pc running Windows out there?? Can anybody tell me what the heck ANYTHING in that system tray means?

Apple has always stood apart with a clean, uncluttered experience of essentials only, and I hope it stays true to that. The Lock Screen is just that - a lock screen confirming only that your phone is locked, powered on, and standing by.

Mark

Hueyfreeman
May 28, 2011, 03:45 PM
Honestly, the lack of clutter and noise is what I love most about the iPhone and the entire Apple Experience. Which includes my Mac. I see a battery status indicator, Bluetooth connectivity status of Bluetooth is on, and time.

I can see #unread emails, SMS, phone calls, voicemails when looking at my home screen. Too much clutter is confusing - has anybody been to Best Buy and looked at the System Tray of ANY pc running Windows out there?? Can anybody tell me what the heck ANYTHING in that system tray means

Mark

By system tray do you mean taskbar? If so their is no confusion on my computer. I kow what is going on when I am usingy computer. Maybe you should use a friends computer rather then display unit. It also comes to what you are use too. habeen a windows person since 98 I made a brief switch to mac os but I wanted to play games so I went back to windows. Point is just because windows does something differently then mac os does not mean it is bad or better. Believe it or not most people don't find that confusing.

AidenShaw
May 28, 2011, 03:53 PM
By system tray do you mean taskbar? If so their is no confusion on my computer. I kow what is going on when I am using my computer. Maybe you should use a friends computer rather then display unit. It also comes to what you are use too. I have been a windows person since 98 I made a,swutch

The "System Tray" is the cluster of icons that are anchored on the right side of the Task Bar.

The original post, though, was silly because all of the icons have balloon tips that pop up if you hover over them. Don't recognize an icon - just place the cursor over it to find out what it is.

Oletros
May 28, 2011, 03:58 PM
The "System Tray" is the cluster of icons that are anchored on the right side of the Task Bar.

And they also can be hidden

tonjik
May 28, 2011, 03:58 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; cs-cz) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

But then - Apple did a really smart thing for the multitasking avoiding most problems, maybe they have some genius idea for widgets (still - I have no use from them, but maybe others do)

Apple's not going to implement anything if it impacts battery life. They are quite obsessed with it (which is a good thing.)

Except the 4.3.3 update - battery life of my iPhone 4 reduced by 20 %.

GS17
May 28, 2011, 04:25 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I for one, can't wait for iOS 5 Lemmings Edition !!!

tonjik
May 28, 2011, 04:29 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; cs-cz) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

So after 3 years waiting for number of missed calls and new messages on lockscreen this is gonna be really revolutionary implementation. /sarcasm
Hope its worthy waiting...

tonjik
May 28, 2011, 05:28 PM

Just saying..

Good point, but how many times has apple added a new carrier? Once. This changes everything. Verizon iPhone users only got theirs about 4-5 months ago. Anyway they want to delay all their releases closer to the holidays. They could possibly announce it but it won't release until September for sure. Maybe they will announce sprint and tmobile at wwdc to be released in September with the iphone 5. That makes sense because then all the carriers would be on the same page.

and their sales between wwdc and september would fall to zero... do not think they will announce ip5 release date

asdfx3
May 28, 2011, 06:02 PM
Just curious why you guys are always toggling your settings? I rock my iPhone 4 with EVERYTHING on and 100% brightness and still get a very usable amount out of it. I imagine lesser settings would do even better.

Not that I am arguing against it, but I just thought that battery life and the need to not toggle settings constantly is an advantage of the iOS platform.

Regardless, I'm excited to see any changes iOS 5 might bring.

You don't necessarily toggle things just for battery savings. Someone else brought up the example of iOS and Android both preferring wifi connections, which can be a pain when you're in an area with a lot of networks that you don't want/need connection to and would rather just use 3g. You might also want to lower the brightness if you're in a dark room. I like to turn off the GPS just out of paranoia at the idea of being followed every step I take, though I'll probably regret it if I ever get kidnapped.

On the topic widgets, one that I love more than all the weather, email, feed, and agenda widgets is the "Contact quick tasks" widget that Motorola phones have (you can probably find similar ones on the market, I haven't looked). Basically you have a widget that's any size from one block to the entire screen, which displays one of your contacts names and picture (if you set a picture) and one task (text, email, call, view history, etc) for each block. So for example for my parents they just get one block and it's used to call them since they don't use email or text messaging. For friends and coworkers I have call, text, and email. This way within a screen or two I have the people and modes of contact I use most without having to jump around to different apps or look through the contact list.
For a pic of what it looks like here's a pic from a Motorola Defy review: http://mos.futurenet.com/techradar/Review%20images/TechRadar/Mobile%20phones/Motorola/Motorola%20Defy/Screenshots/Motorola%20Defy%20contact%20quick%20tasks%20widget-210-100.jpg

The normal setup for Android/iOS is probably fine for most, but I just hate going through menus or selecting options instead of having a feature I use all the time right there with no thinking or waiting required. Probably one of the reasons I love widgets on Android so much.

ob81
May 28, 2011, 06:39 PM
I actually really like that mockup. Looks very sleek. A big change to the iOS is long overdue also. I would welcome it.

MacsAre1
May 28, 2011, 07:11 PM
Right now one of the main things keeping me from switching back to the iPhone (besides the brittle glass) is notifications. They are so much better on WebOS than iOS, and it reminds me that the phone, although it can do a host of other things, is at heart a communications device. If Apple can get iOS notifications up to par with WebOS, I will have little reason to stay away.

floobie
May 28, 2011, 11:22 PM
Speaking without the "burden" of experience: I know people have been complaining about the iOS notification system forever. From what I've seen, Android's solution is pretty damn elegant. iOS' is comparatively simplistic and too intrusive. So, great that they're working on it.

Widgets are of particular interest to me, though. That's one of my main points of indecision when it comes to choosing between iOS and Android. If used properly, I think they'd be extremely useful. I'd personally use them for the following things:

- Big digital date and time
- Weather
- Calendar events
- Random notes
- Individual contact icons for my most frequently contacted... contacts.

Widgets should be treated mainly as a source of glance-able information, and maybe for some frequently used items that don't warrant opening the full app (like sending a text to a specific contact). If iOS added something along these lines, that would make my indecision a lot less... indecisive. I use widgets quite a lot in OS X. I usually have a few weather ones going, a few clocks for different times zones, the unit converter (SOOOO useful), iStat for a quick glance at system resources, calculator, stock ticker, and a few post-it notes. Some of this stuff would be even more useful on a phone.

maclaptop
May 28, 2011, 11:46 PM
Better late than never. Although the way Apple can be, these may be neutered. You never know about Apple. So full of themselves, it's more fun to think of them as bizarre entertainment. iToys in the truest sense, as in toys for kids. Adults may play with them, as long as they remember how to share...ha...ha...ha.

rhett7660
May 28, 2011, 11:55 PM
Bring on the new notifications! Hope this is true. Everything else is just icing on the cake.

CQd44
May 29, 2011, 12:02 AM
Speaking without the "burden" of experience: I know people have been complaining about the iOS notification system forever. From what I've seen, Android's solution is pretty damn elegant. iOS' is comparatively simplistic and too intrusive. So, great that they're working on it.

Widgets are of particular interest to me, though. That's one of my main points of indecision when it comes to choosing between iOS and Android. If used properly, I think they'd be extremely useful. I'd personally use them for the following things:

- Big digital date and time
- Weather
- Calendar events
- Random notes
- Individual contact icons for my most frequently contacted... contacts.

Widgets should be treated mainly as a source of glance-able information, and maybe for some frequently used items that don't warrant opening the full app (like sending a text to a specific contact). If iOS added something along these lines, that would make my indecision a lot less... indecisive. I use widgets quite a lot in OS X. I usually have a few weather ones going, a few clocks for different times zones, the unit converter (SOOOO useful), iStat for a quick glance at system resources, calculator, stock ticker, and a few post-it notes. Some of this stuff would be even more useful on a phone.

iOS can't do individual contact icons...?

Benjamins
May 29, 2011, 12:30 AM
Are you guys serious? I absolutely need a quicker way to toggle Airplane Mode, WiFi and Bluetooth on and off. The current need to navigate through settings is tedious and tiresome. I want an icon/widget that I can press to toggle these things on and off.

This has little to nothing to do with widgets.

CFreymarc
May 29, 2011, 01:08 AM

Same here. I see these widgets being expansions of iPhone apps and spanking the WM7 "tiles" idea. Bet good money the API for these will be shown at WWDC next month.

CFreymarc
May 29, 2011, 01:14 AM
Right now one of the main things keeping me from switching back to the iPhone (besides the brittle glass) is notifications. They are so much better on WebOS than iOS, and it reminds me that the phone, although it can do a host of other things, is at heart a communications device. If Apple can get iOS notifications up to par with WebOS, I will have little reason to stay away.

In glorious IBM-speak, "I dis-concur." Widgets are good for a "quick look" toward a data group that an app addresses. This does not necessarily mean a notification.

The user may want to only look at the data when they make a query and not want their iPhone doing a "pop-up orgasm" like some Andriod, WM7 and WebOS installs have become -- this is really interesting when you have your smart-phone on vibrate notify only and is carried near an erogenous zone. ;)

Actually, I hope it is mandatory that users can turn off widget pop-up / notifications as needed.

Krizoitz
May 29, 2011, 03:08 AM

And Konfabulator is a rip off of Desk Accessories from the classic Mac OS. And desk accessories are a rip off of calculators and notepads in the real world. And those are a rip off of an abacus and a stone tablet.

jimmyjoemccrow
May 29, 2011, 08:16 AM
In glorious IBM-speak, "I dis-concur." Widgets are good for a "quick look" toward a data group that an app addresses. This does not necessarily mean a notification.

The user may want to only look at the data when they make a query and not want their iPhone doing a "pop-up orgasm" like some Andriod, WM7 and WebOS installs have become -- this is really interesting when you have your smart-phone on vibrate notify only and is carried near an erogenous zone. ;)

Actually, I hope it is mandatory that users can turn off widget pop-up / notifications as needed.

My Android phone jingles once when I get a text and then lets the LED do the reminding after that. Contrast that with the iPhone which keeps jingling until I read the text. I always think I'm getting more than one text.

If a bunch of apps in a drawer have new notifications, the drawer has to show the total, can't show for each individual app.

Notification settings are user definable. Fanboys are blinkered. Apple make compromises for simplicity's sake and the fanboy will call this an advantage. A compromise is just a compromise.

I really doubt that you've used many phones apart from Apple's. If you had, you wouldn't be describing pop up orgasms. Unless you have a gift for exaggeration when looking at anything that isn't Apple.

blackNBUK
May 29, 2011, 09:05 AM
You don't necessarily toggle things just for battery savings. Someone else brought up the example of iOS and Android both preferring wifi connections, which can be a pain when you're in an area with a lot of networks that you don't want/need connection to and would rather just use 3g. You might also want to lower the brightness if you're in a dark room. I like to turn off the GPS just out of paranoia at the idea of being followed every step I take, though I'll probably regret it if I ever get kidnapped.

Doesn't turning "Ask to join networks..." off mostly solve this problem? At least, you'll not be asked to join every open WiFi network you pass.

moderately
May 29, 2011, 03:53 PM

On my iPod Touch iOS 4.3.3 I can have one layer of folders under playlists. I was happy to get them. Nested folders... I haven't thought about. Here's hoping for you.

GuitarDTO
May 29, 2011, 04:09 PM
I never really took to Widgets on my Droid.....I had a few, and they were ok...but it didnt make or break the phone experience for me......so I'm not super excited about the iPHone widgets. Many droid widgets suck the battery down, so hopefully Apple doesnt force them upon us or at least manages them well.

Notifications though, please fix!! Even if it's just a clone of Android, I'd love it. Although my iPhone 4 I dont think has any little light that can blink like the droid did. I loved the little green dot that would blink when I had a message, email, etc.

pkson
May 29, 2011, 06:17 PM
The main OS pages scroll horizontally.. So maybe something vertical? Or, just mash the spotlight screen with widgets?

What I would like to see most is an efficient way to quit (cmd+q) apps, not leave them in the multitask tray to properly quit them later. That is the biggest problem I have with iOS. Notifications are an annoying second.

Hope iOS 5 is awesome.

Cod3rror
May 29, 2011, 06:56 PM
The main OS pages scroll horizontally.. So maybe something vertical?

I thought about it too, would be nice if they brought in some vertical action.

Cod3rror
May 29, 2011, 07:16 PM
Herm, really don't like dashboards, widgets gadgets ect. Boils down to weather apps and things that run in the background.. Plus droid has a similar swipe feature.

I guess they'll make it so that if you don't like it, you won't be forced to use it.

I like widgets personally, they are a glancing data providers, really quick.

KingCrimson
May 29, 2011, 09:56 PM
Notifications are bad because they drain battery. Same thing with widgets, don't need 'em.

CQd44
May 29, 2011, 11:34 PM
Notifications are bad because they drain battery. Same thing with widgets, don't need 'em.

3G is bad because it drains battery. Don't need it.

Kidding aside, widgets are useful. Maybe YOU don't need them, but being able to see the weather without opening an app is nice.

And I'm unsure how notifications kill the battery any faster than a giant pop up box in the middle of the screen.

Rodimus Prime
May 30, 2011, 12:37 AM

Kidding aside, widgets are useful. Maybe YOU don't need them, but being able to see the weather without opening an app is nice.

And I'm unsure how notifications kill the battery any faster than a giant pop up box in the middle of the screen.

I think you missed his sarcasm. That is the argumetn people like 425 are making on why widgets are so bad.

CQd44
May 30, 2011, 02:22 AM
I think you missed his sarcasm. That is the argumetn people like 425 are making on why widgets are so bad.

Ahh. Sorry, sarcasm is hard to detect on the internet.

patent10021
May 30, 2011, 08:02 AM
I'd like to hear from people who DON'T think Apple takes cues from jailbroken apps. Quite amusing to see all these "new revamped features" that are almost identical to many utilities on Cydia". All the haters who talk crap about jailbreakers should be thanking them because many of these features wouldn't end up on the iP5 if it weren't for the devs who get their apps rejected by Apple. I'm a huge Apple fan. Been using only Apple stuff since the 90's. Still, it's not difficult to see what's going on here. JBing was the best thing I ever did to any type of computer I've owned and I'll continue to do it. Right now it's a computer in the form of a phone with a nice touch UI, but I don't believe it's a "smart" phone. It has an average IQ. That goes for ALL the phones out there.

KnightWRX
May 30, 2011, 08:10 AM

You know what's the worse battery drain of them all ? The GSM chip. If the phone didn't have to keep a persistent connection to the towers and didn't have to scan at all times, the battery would last forever. And the weaker the signal, the stronger the power draw because the phone has to transmit a much stronger signal.

They should do away with the voice portion of the iPhone. Anyway, we're in 2011, it's high time they merged Data and Voice unto 1 service : Data.

kdarling
May 30, 2011, 08:32 AM

This has little to nothing to do with widgets.

On the contrary, he gave a good example of useful widgets that require almost no battery to run, since they're mostly waiting for user input.

Widgets are useful, entertaining, popular, and most important of all to naysayers, they're optional.

There are many hints that Apple will eventually add widgets, from the original iPhone patent showing a widget-maker icon, to Jobs talking about often he uses them on his Mac.

Arguments against widgets are like the old (and just as vain) arguments against the addition of MMS or multitasking or whatever else the iPhone was missing at the time... and yet later added.

GregA
May 30, 2011, 09:59 PM
The main OS pages scroll horizontally.. So maybe something vertical? Or, just mash the spotlight screen with widgets?

I think vertical movement could be part of it.

Or the app screens on the iOS might actually be called up like the launchpad on Lion.
ie: The widgets could be the default screen, and the home button (or a 5 finger pinch?) brings up the launchpad full of apps.

firewood
May 30, 2011, 10:14 PM

Lightweight notifications and widgets might well drain the battery less than users frequently switching apps to do the same things (read those messages that they had to dismiss before reading, etc.)

Bringing up a Desk Accessory was certainly faster and used a ton less memory than launching on application on an old Mac.