Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brother Michael

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2004
Has Perl died out? I have read a veiw different views about it and today and tomorrow, but I wanted to know more.

One of the reviews I read on another forum, was that it may not be as popular or as web specific as ASP or .NET etc, but that it was a tried and true coding system and is a great fallback plan.

Mike

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Brother Michael said:
Has Perl died out? I have read a veiw different views about it and today and tomorrow, but I wanted to know more.

One of the reviews I read on another forum, was that it may not be as popular or as web specific as ASP or .NET etc, but that it was a tried and true coding system and is a great fallback plan.

Mike

As far as web specific languages, I prefer to stick to PHP (unless I'm at work, which favors ASP).

Perl, however, is an awesome language for parsing documents. I use it all the time for that, in fact I think thats what it was designed to do in the first place.

My mother works for a company called WebAssign that writes online homework software for high schools and universities and its written in 100% Perl, so yes some people still use it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.