PDA

View Full Version : What's the best iPad 2 case to buy? i.e. one and done purchase

macbookpro45
May 27, 2011, 07:58 PM
I'm looking for a case that covers both the front and back. What's the 'one' case that I'll need to buy i.e. I don't want to buy 3 different cases so what's the 1 best case.

lucyna
May 27, 2011, 08:05 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1147287
Go this thread, there are many.

bufffilm
May 27, 2011, 10:07 PM
you're gonna need to be a little more specific about what features you like/dislike if you want some useful suggestions. there are probably over a hundred cases that cover the front & back.

try reading thru some of the threads in this section to see what's out there. [that's what i did to help me make the right decision]

macbookpro45
May 27, 2011, 11:23 PM
I'm looking for a folio type case (if that makes any sense) or a sleeve where I slip it in and it fits snug. I just prefer the folio/folder style case to be slim and not make the ipad feel an inch thick.

Built
May 28, 2011, 12:10 AM
I've experimented with so many cases and both my iPad 1 and iPad 2. My current favorite is the Targus 360 (There is also a cheaper, yet identical, version put out by a company called Poetic.)

Very versatile...and I keep my iPad tucked away in a Timbuk2 XS Messenger bag when on the go.

macbookpro45
May 28, 2011, 09:35 AM
Thanks I'll give that a look

gigaguy
May 28, 2011, 09:41 AM
I've had many cases. for a lower priced leather folio, the Yoobao leather slim folio is perfect. $35, 3 colors. full coverage folio case adds no bulk to iPad2, has smart cover flap function.
one of the most posted about on this forum. executive style, black, brown, or red leather.
many sellers on Amazon -
http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Genuine-Leather-Version-Generation/dp/B004WHI9L4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1306593611&sr=8-4

Dangka
May 28, 2011, 09:58 AM
The Switcheasy Canvas for ipad 2. Not the lightest case, but I think it is the best comprehensive case on the market for the price.

bufffilm
May 28, 2011, 10:47 AM
I'm looking for a folio type case (if that makes any sense) or a sleeve where I slip it in and it fits snug. I just prefer the folio/folder style case to be slim and not make the ipad feel an inch thick.

pretty much what i was searching for too...i went with the marware ceo hybrid.

slim profile case that doesn't obstruct the clean lines and borders of the ipad, supports auto-wake/off because of the magnetic cover (this is a huge convenience), and all-around great protection on all corners & edges, and it supports several hands-off viewing angles. i wasn't particularly enamored at first with the carbon-fiber look (i prefer leather), but the unexpected bonus was that i've found the textured carbon-fiber actually does a good job of hiding the inadverdent fingerprint/grease marks that crop up over daily use.

the other cases mentioned by the prior posters are also decent choices too. i'm a bit wary of many of the low to mid-priced leather folio cases out there though. imo the leather may be too soft to hold the ipad without shifting about, over extended use and tolerances and placement of the cutouts (such as the camero) can vary from case to case even from the same production batch.

3goldens
May 28, 2011, 11:25 AM
Everyone is going to have a favorite.
I have many I
t's really up to what your need are.
Do the research, try a few, you'll find what will work for you eventually, it's all trial and error!

macbookpro45
May 28, 2011, 12:08 PM
Bufffilm if you don't mind me asking what case did you go with because that was my criteria too.

jtsui
May 28, 2011, 12:24 PM
I amm using the switcheasy canvas and i did went through couple of cases before.. So far I can say the canvas is the best on the market

bufffilm
May 28, 2011, 12:35 PM
Bufffilm if you don't mind me asking what case did you go with because that was my criteria too.

i mentioned it in my earlier post, i have the marware ceo hybrid.

metagamers has done a couple of reviews on various ipad cases which are similar to what you're looking for..

the one below compares the switcheasy and the ceo hybrid, and he's done individual reviews on each case separately in other videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GK0PYoyD_8

ps. while you're there you might want to look at the toblino case review too. it's somewhat similar to the marware, but in leather. i think the marware is a little better in terms of overall finish and quality and the marware has a couple of extra features. all three of these very popular cases have their own thread in this section and i recommend you read thru them to get actual owners feedback.

good luck with your hunt...let us know what you wind up getting!

uncleguito
May 28, 2011, 12:35 PM
STM Skinny?

jasonmanning
May 28, 2011, 04:11 PM
CaseBuddy Black Sleeve Cover
http://www.ledfashion.com.au/products/black-smart-leather-sleeve-cover-ipad2

macbookpro45
May 28, 2011, 04:58 PM
I think I like the se canvas more than the marware CEO because of the added protection but then again the canvas makes it look like the ipad is 1 inch thick.

Anyone here with the canvas care to talk about how the stand positions are for typing?

gigemzach
May 28, 2011, 05:26 PM
the switcheasy canvas for ipad 2. Not the lightest case, but i think it is the best comprehensive case on the market for the price.

+1

pbateman.as
May 28, 2011, 07:01 PM
The Switcheasy Canvas for ipad 2. Not the lightest case, but I think it is the best comprehensive case on the market for the price.

+1...been through a few myself and this one wins hands down.

Tedddman
May 28, 2011, 07:41 PM
Incipio Feather + SmartCover = folio style case with more flexibility.

macbookpro45
May 28, 2011, 08:01 PM
What about the incipio magazine jacket? Anyone have input on this one?

Blakjack
May 28, 2011, 10:23 PM
Switcheasy canvas.

Best iPad case hands down

Built
May 28, 2011, 10:50 PM
Switcheasy canvas.

Best iPad case hands down

No portrait mode. Deal breaker.

bowlerman625
May 28, 2011, 11:03 PM
Available for first gen and iPad 2

www.brookstone.com

Nice case. I bought one today and like it a lot.

macbookpro45
May 28, 2011, 11:44 PM
Available for first gen and iPad 2

www.brookstone.com

Nice case. I bought one today and like it a lot.

Would you mind posting some images of the case with it in both stand modes (for typing and for watching movies)? Brookstone's website offers 2 images for the case which isn't very helpful. Nevertheless, the case looks good mate let me know your thoughts on it.

spangenberg
May 29, 2011, 03:25 PM
Im also looking for a case but...... It has got to look lke a vaja ivolution case. IE a top piece and a bottom piece. I HATE the smart cover and all of the other cases where it opens up like a book, or has a cover that flips over. Any suggestions?

macbookpro45
May 30, 2011, 08:13 PM
Bump

hsl
May 31, 2011, 01:57 AM
Have you seen the sleeves http://jolioriginals.com makes?

:)

DaveOZ
May 31, 2011, 02:42 AM
Vaja Agenda.

BlindMellon
May 31, 2011, 06:08 AM
Went Maroo at first. Very nice but a bit bulky for my tastes. Settled on an STM case. Very happy with it. Nearly full coverage, smart cover and very thin and light weight.

zhoulana
May 31, 2011, 10:21 AM
There is no best ipad case,Every one have their own choice!:D:D:D

CuppyCake
Jun 10, 2011, 07:14 PM
The rooCase on amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/rooCASE-Executive-Portfolio-Landscape-Portrait/dp/B004TU3SIS/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1307750005&sr=1-11

bowlerman625
Jun 11, 2011, 05:01 PM
Would you mind posting some images of the case with it in both stand modes (for typing and for watching movies)? Brookstone's website offers 2 images for the case which isn't very helpful. Nevertheless, the case looks good mate let me know your thoughts on it.

Scosche (scosche.com) makes the case for Brookstone. The name for the product there is foldIO Folio case for iPad 2.

They have good pictures on the site showing the various angles. When I went to this site I even saw a new way to position it that was not part of the Brookstone marketing information. Very helpful!

Sorry for my delay in responding. I had not checked this thread since I responded to it last.

DeeGee48
Jun 19, 2011, 06:21 PM
No portrait mode. Deal breaker.

I know they don't advertise portrait mode; others don't either. But some DO stand up VERY well in this "extra" position. The STM Skinny is a good example of this. So, will the Canvas stand up in portrait or are you just referring to the lack of advertising for that mode? Does anybody know among Canvas owners? :confused:

TwoFive3
Jun 19, 2011, 09:52 PM
Marware Eco-vue. And I have bought and returned a dozen cases I thought I'd like.

GeneKam
Jun 19, 2011, 09:57 PM
I personally like the smart cover from Apple. The green one with white iPad rocks :D. So many othercase add bulk to the device which is really a shame. Besides, having a matte aluminum backing,really doesn't require to have protection from scratches.

h00ligan
Jun 20, 2011, 03:45 AM
Scosche (scosche.com) makes the case for Brookstone. The name for the product there is foldIO Folio case for iPad 2.

They have good pictures on the site showing the various angles. When I went to this site I even saw a new way to position it that was not part of the Brookstone marketing information. Very helpful!

Sorry for my delay in responding. I had not checked this thread since I responded to it last.

That case actually looks pretty good. Is it heavy, or do you know the weight? I see different bran dings of the same case being sold around for $29-39.

Mr.C
Jun 20, 2011, 05:35 AM
I personally like the smart cover from Apple. The green one with white iPad rocks :D. So many othercase add bulk to the device which is really a shame. Besides, having a matte aluminum backing,really doesn't require to have protection from scratches.

Just because the back of the iPad is made of aluminium doesn't mean it's not susceptible to scratches. I have read a number of posts on various threads in various forums where people have stated the backs of their iPads have got scratched.

bobright
Jun 20, 2011, 12:26 PM
Just because the back of the iPad is made of aluminium doesn't mean it's not susceptible to scratches. I have read a number of posts on various threads in various forums where people have stated the backs of their iPads have got scratched.

It actually easily scratches this guy is probably a Genius spewing BS