Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
I found this article here:

http://fairerplatform.com/2010/06/how-to-use-an-external-monitor-with-your-imac/

My iMac has pretty good video performance...except for the monitor being a native resolution of 2560x1440. Running a game in any other resolution looks like crap, and obviously running it at that resolution kills my framerate.

Can I hook up an external monitor, then only run the external display to run at a more manageable resolution and disable the main monitor durin gthe game? Thanks!

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Since you poster this to Windows on Mac, I suspect you want to game under Windows.

Something along the lines you are asking about should work.

However, mutli-monitor configs can be tricky and it depends heavily on the exact hardware/OS configuration details as to what is possible.

(e.g. some versions of the mini-DP to VGA adapter don't seem to work under Windows, you can't generally disable the internal monitor under OS X, ...)

What exactly are you trying to do. Which Mac, which OSes, which games, which external monitor, how would it be connected, ...

Someone might be able to tell you if there is a possibel hangup with that detail.

B

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
Since you poster this to Windows on Mac, I suspect you want to game under Windows.

Something along the lines you are asking about should work.

However, mutli-monitor configs can be tricky and it depends heavily on the exact hardware/OS configuration details as to what is possible.

(e.g. some versions of the mini-DP to VGA adapter don't seem to work under Windows, you can't generally disable the internal monitor under OS X, ...)

What exactly are you trying to do. Which Mac, which OSes, which games, which external monitor, how would it be connected, ...

Someone might be able to tell you if there is a possibel hangup with that detail.

B

Well basically I want to do it however will work. I game in OS X when I can but I have Boot Camp since obviously not everything is available in OS X. What I want to do is get an LCD monitor with a more reasonable native resolution, like maybe 1440x900? Then play games on that so that I can run everything maxed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.