Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
We've got a new iPad2. My wife promptly left the wall plug in a hotel room although she has the cable. I promptly ordered two wall plugs from ebay, (from China), advertised as "new generation iPad2 plugs" and they look like what we had before but when plugged into either one of them, the iPad does not charge. If I plug the cable into one of my Mac's USB ports, it does charge so I know it's not the cable.

So, I'm in the process of getting these ebay plugs replaced or returned, but am curious if the wall plug chargers for both the ipad and ipad2 are identical? Or do they have different specs? I'm wondering if the items I got from ebay might be original iPad chargers and maybe this could explain why they don't work?

Thanks!

Benbikeman

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
London, England
They are identical: I use an iPad 1 charger with an iPad 2. Lots of cheap knock-off electronics from China is very unreliable, so it's most likely nothing more mysterious than that.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Thanks for the info. Yep, going cheap can sometimes burn you, although at $.99 each it's not that terrible but still a waste. I'm waiting to see how ebay handles this. I've filed an issue with them. The problem as I see it is that the seller wants the item returned to him at buyers expense. In this case it will cost more to mail it back than the items themselves cost! And at this point after getting two DOA items, I have no confidence in this brand. So I'll end up hammering the seller with a bad review. :p

I don't know how this will appear, but you may be able to see the item I purchased here.

Update: "The buyer is always right" eBay, issued me a full refund. ;)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.