Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I AM THE MAN

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
I am thinking of purchasing a T3i or T2i in the future. I will be taking several photos with the camera, nevertheless, I will be using the video just as much for YouTube on my Tech Channel. Should I buy an actual camcorder for the video feature or stick with a T2i/T3i so I can take good photos AND videos.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
If you are shooting within a studio set environment then I would recommend the t2/3i as you will be able to just set the focus to where you will be standing/sitting and just shoot.

If you are planning to take a lot of pictures with the camera then you will be pushed to find a good camera and good camcorder for the price of the t2i.

However, if you are not a fan of video or have not dabbled with it before I would not recommend the DSLR approach as you will find the focusing and exposure an issue.

It all depends on how much time and effort you are planning to put into creating the video.

Personally, I am buying a t3i for the video alone!

I AM THE MAN

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
If you are shooting within a studio set environment then I would recommend the t2/3i as you will be able to just set the focus to where you will be standing/sitting and just shoot.

If you are planning to take a lot of pictures with the camera then you will be pushed to find a good camera and good camcorder for the price of the t2i.

However, if you are not a fan of video or have not dabbled with it before I would not recommend the DSLR approach as you will find the focusing and exposure an issue.

It all depends on how much time and effort you are planning to put into creating the video.

Personally, I am buying a t3i for the video alone!

Im thinking about sticking with a DSLR for video, mainly because I will be taking photos, etc.

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
Video DSLR for the most part is harder to use, in terms of no autofocusing, tricking exposure, and weird handling ergonomics. If you are shooting subjects which will move often, the focusing issue will be enormous, it will be very hard to refocus with your lens ring while keeping the camera steady. You may need to purchase additional stuff to begin your tech channel, such as getting shoulder mounts (if you are shooting mobile), tripod, decent shotgun mics etc.

If you will be shooting your tech channel in your office or home, I think a dslr will be good enough, assuming your subject stands in one spot, and you can just plop down the tripod and film.

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
Watcha gunna do about audio? Lighting?

Currently here is doing voice overs over graphics for his videos, the audio he is recording is good enough, and for him to record himself during the day time with the blinds open should be good enough for lighting.

All he needs really is a cam, though some sort of lavalier mic would be good too.

rever3nce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
kinda have the same question

now i dont wanna spend a fortune on this stuff but i do a lot of youtube videos and i was looking for a nice camera or camcorder for recording and some lighting ideas for just still video in a small room . i want a camera as well because i like doing photography but im looking for a good camera/camcorder that might be able to do both pretty well . was looking at some nikon l120 and i like that one .... but im still pretty new at this stuff . anything would help! thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.