PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic case sux, but Apple rocks!....My story

rajiv365
May 28, 2011, 02:00 PM
Hello all,

So I was lucky enough to get an iPad2 during launch week. I happened to just walk into the store in Richmond, VA when they had no line and picked one up. Since then I've loved the device and enjoy it even more than my first gen iPad I replaced. So today I was at a coffee shop and my iPad2 was tucked under my shoulder. The magnetic case broke lose and the iPad2 slipped to the ground. It landed on a corner and shattered the screen with a web like pattern! I was totally speechless.

Surprisingly, it still worked! I used it throughout the day until the Apple store opened up at 10am today and walked in and told them the story. They manager said they could replace it but I would have to pay $200 to trade it in for another. I don't know if that's something they have setup for people with magnetic case failure or is that normal. I don't have AppleCare or anything like that.

So I agree, they bring out one in a plain cardboard box. They guy said it was probably new as opposed to refurbished since they can barely keep them in stock. At the time for checkout I asked how much, and he said "we've made a one time exception/favor and we're going to let you trade it for free".

I was again, totally speechless! I had a couple of movie rentals which I hadn't synced with iTunes so I'm out $8 but have a new iPad2. I love this company and they will have all my business in the future! They also admitted that the magnetic case is the only one they have and recommended a kiosk right outside the store that sold aftermarket products for apple. So I bought a case by the manufacturer SKECH. It's black and textured and the iPad is totally enclosed in the case. Perfect.

Raj

darkside flow
May 28, 2011, 06:52 PM
Apple is great like that. Hands down best customer service around.

henchman
May 28, 2011, 06:58 PM
This is why I bought the iOn case with magnetic cover.
I got tired of the smart cover coming lose.

darkside flow
May 28, 2011, 07:11 PM
I only got my iPad and smart cover yesterday but the magnet is super strong. Will likely dull from taking it on and off so I leave it on as much as possible.

rajiv365
May 28, 2011, 07:28 PM
I only got my iPad and smart cover yesterday but the magnet is super strong. Will likely dull from taking it on and off so I leave it on as much as possible.

Actually I never took mine off. Just be cautious, the employee mentioned it was the best case they have but recommended I get a third party case.

darkside flow
May 28, 2011, 07:29 PM
Damn... Ok I'll be extra careful. I tend to hold it on the side the cover connects or from the bottom because I tend to be cautious with my devices. Go nuts when I get a scratch on it, however faint.