Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I AM THE MAN

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Hello everybody. I was wondering, what kind of lens would I need or should have if I will be taking pictures of just people in general-like in parties or events? I am planning on purchasing a T3i, and I will buy the model that comes with the standard 18-55mm Lens. Thanks for your answers in advance.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
I think for parties or events (closer quarter shots) the 18-55 should be good enough. I recently got my T3i and I also purchased a 55-250 lens as well since I'll be taking some long(er) range shots.

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
Rather than a new lens (which could set you back quite a lot compared to the step up in image quality you'd be getting) I'd get a flash. Something with adjustable flash head so you can bounce it off ceilings and walls, TTL is good for when you want to do second-curtain sync, which is pretty standard for parties.

I AM THE MAN

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Rather than a new lens (which could set you back quite a lot compared to the step up in image quality you'd be getting) I'd get a flash. Something with adjustable flash head so you can bounce it off ceilings and walls, TTL is good for when you want to do second-curtain sync, which is pretty standard for parties.

Any particular flashes you can suggest that aren't too expensive? Thanks!

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
this really is a broad question. Are you shooting in low light only, are you going to be hand held or tripod mounted?

The kit lens is good (the 55-250 mentioned is also a good kit lens) but both lenses ARE SLOW. Anything other than full on daylight, you will notice that shooting at low ISO is not going to happen.

I have a Rokonion 85mm 1.4 and it is SUPERB. It is full manual though, but if you can master manual focus (I think the T3i or whatever has LV (Live View)), it is really a fun and great lens!

johnnj

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2008
Not here

Canon 580 EX II is a nice flash. They also have less expensive models with lower guide numbers and lower prices. If you're just doing close quarter direct flash event photos you'll probably be ok with the smaller and less powerful unit like the 320 EX.

TheDrift-

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2010
A fast Prime lens can come in pretty handy, It will have a fixed focal length so if you want to make objects bigger or smaller you will have to walk nearer or farther away.

The benefit is better Image quality and its much much faster, so you can take pics in much lower light.

A lot of people would probably recommend the canon 50mm 1.8 as a cheap starter lens.

From there you pay more for the 50mm 1.4 and a LOT more for the 50mm 1.2

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
A fast Prime lens can come in pretty handy, It will have a fixed focal length so if you want to make objects bigger or smaller you will have to walk nearer or farther away.

The benefit is better Image quality and its much much faster, so you can take pics in much lower light.

A lot of people would probably recommend the canon 50mm 1.8 as a cheap starter lens.

From there you pay more for the 50mm 1.4 and a LOT more for the 50mm 1.2

Second the 50mm 1.8.

Ace lens, 70 quid. Stays on my camera for a lot of the time.

Also, take a look at the Sigma 30mm 1.4.

I AM THE MAN

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Second the 50mm 1.8.

Ace lens, 70 quid. Stays on my camera for a lot of the time.

Also, take a look at the Sigma 30mm 1.4.

Haha the Sigma is way out of my budget right now :D

However, if I purchase the 50mm 1.8, do I need to purchase anything besides the actual lens itself like the protection filter, etc?

Thanks!

PS I just bought my first DSLR, so I am not really too knowledgable about it yet.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007

However, if I purchase the 50mm 1.8, do I need to purchase anything besides the actual lens itself like the protection filter, etc?

Thanks!

PS I just bought my first DSLR, so I am not really too knowledgable about it yet.

You don't *have* to, but I usually shoot with a UV filter. They're about $10, and they'll protect the lens

Scuby

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010

After the 18-55mm and 55-250mm kit lenses, the 50mm f/1.8 was the next i got. Should be ideal at this stage for the type of photography you're talking about. You can then work out where the "gaps" are in your kit, which will come with experience, and upgrade to higher quality lenses if necessary.

You don't need anything to go with the lens, though personally i do have a good quality UV filter on the front of all my lenses... Makes cleaning the front of the lens easier, and no perceptible impact in image quality.

David

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
I use a Nissin Di866 as my main flash, both on and off camera, still works after a year of good use, taken a few bumps and lived to tell the tale. I'm looking at getting another Nissin, the Di622 mk2, but only for use on camera I'd think the mk1 is equally good. The Canon flashes are more rugged of course, but a step up in price.

Some people are obviously recommending the 50mm f/1.8, which while being good for the amount is the least used lens I have. Indoors it's too tight, and it has AF issues in less-than-good lighting. A flash would emit an AF beam helping with focus in dark rooms, and with bouncing against white/bright surfaces create a good light-source in itself. As I think of it, a large aperture lets you shoot in difficult circumstances, a flash lets you shoot in otherwise impossible circumstances.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010

Thanks!

Some people use UV filters to protect their lenses. You could get one for it. it's 52mm. I don't do that though. Its not essential!

I think that the 50mm is way sharper than the 30mm sigma anyway, although the dof from 1.4 is crazy ****!

mrbash

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2008
I would recommend getting a good flash and a diffuser. That's probably going to be the best way to improve your pictures.

If do get a 50 1.8, don't put anything in front of it. That's just a waste. Unless you are putting a Gel filter for a specific look, it's useless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.