Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BNHabs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
What SSD's should I be looking at for my 2011 15-inch MacBook Pro?

Should I do a 120GB MAX IOPS OCZ + 750GB 7200 RPM?

240GB OCZ + CD Drive

What solid states should I look at? What about RAID?

aniketroxx

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2011
Pune
First configuration is quiet good because DVD drive is pretty useless these days so HDD+SSD config will be better :D

BNHabs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
First configuration is quiet good because DVD drive is pretty useless these days so HDD+SSD config will be better :D

How do I go about configuring it so that the SSD is for the OS/Applications and the HDD is for data (pictures, videos etc.)?

Considering both will be new drivers, do I connect an external CD reader with my backup CD's and boot of that and format the SSD and install OSX? How do I configure the HDD after? Can I boot up on an external CD drive connected via USB?

Mokuro

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2011
OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G. I have the 120GB and I love it. Haven't had any issues including beachballs and hangs on a fresh install of the OSX. :)

BNHabs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G. I have the 120GB and I love it. Haven't had any issues including beachballs and hangs on a fresh install of the OSX. :)

So I will be getting a SSD for the OS and applications and a HDD for documents, pictures, music.

What I don't get is how to allocate the HDD to those specific folders within OSX.

Also, will I be able to boot off an external CD drive once I install both new drivers in my MacBook? So I can install OSX on the SSD?

altecXP

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2009
I have an OWC SATA2 240GB and will be upgrading to a Corsair Force 3 SATA3 120GB.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
What SSD's should I be looking at for my 2011 15-inch MacBook Pro?

Should I do a 120GB MAX IOPS OCZ + 750GB 7200 RPM?

240GB OCZ + CD Drive

What solid states should I look at? What about RAID?

I've tried the first one and am now going with the second one. Simple answer is that it's easier to manage one drive instead of two, and alias redirects can be annoying sometimes. I wouldn't even think about RAID, as the MacBook Pro does not immediately turn on the device in the optical bay when waking from sleep, leading to a kernel panic.

BNHabs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010

DocNYz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
East Coast, USA
Can you guys EXPLAIN to me how I set-up a SSD + HDD set-up? How do I configure the OS to be used only for OS + applications and the HDD for pictures, documents etc assuming thats what people mostly do?

I've done this with the expansion slot (since I still burn a lot of CD's and DVDs for media and other computers etc) so I have my OS and Apps on the SSD in the ExpressCard Slot and my user account and data all on the 500GB HDD in the main body in the normal slot. Essentially you can boot from either an external optical drive if you replace the internal one, or what I did is boot off of a USB stick with SL on it, chose the SSD for the OS install, and it will automatically set up apps to be loaded from there, but then you need to either create a home folder on the HDD or re-direct to your existing old home folder on the HDD after starting up from the SSD. You need to also go into system preferences and make sure the startup disk is the SSD and that all permissions are reset to access both drives, etc.

Here are links to ways to do this, most of which will apply to replacing the optical drive with an SSD as well:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1102450/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.