Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
Hi all,
I've been a Firefox user the last 3 years because I love their bookmarking. With a 23 inch monitor, I love having the side-bar Bookmarks bar open during all my internet browsing. I love just dragging an open tab into my folders/and subfolders/and sub-sub folders. (I have a LOT of bookmarks!)

Problem is, I'm cut off from the latest Safari developments as I'm stuck on an old G5. Any ideas on the future of Safari bookmarking? Will they have a sidebar soon for super-convenient bookmarking for those like myself that have hundreds of folders and subfolders?

Galaxas0

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
It's called Read It Later (the Safari one), I believe. It's pretty much a second bookmarks bar for reading content later (you still need internet connection though).

PurrBall

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Indianapolis
The Read Later sidebar is very basic though, no folders at all. I think you're stuck with Firefox at least for this version.

asdf542

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
Hi all,
I've been a Firefox user the last 3 years because I love their bookmarking. With a 23 inch monitor, I love having the side-bar Bookmarks bar open during all my internet browsing. I love just dragging an open tab into my folders/and subfolders/and sub-sub folders. (I have a LOT of bookmarks!)

Problem is, I'm cut off from the latest Safari developments as I'm stuck on an old G5. Any ideas on the future of Safari bookmarking? Will they have a sidebar soon for super-convenient bookmarking for those like myself that have hundreds of folders and subfolders?

You should be able to get the latest Safari 5 on your G5 so long as you're on Leopard. If you're on Tiger then you're stuck on version 4.

BLACKFRIDAY

macrumors regular
May 23, 2011
I don't think Apple's gonna have one.

All you would see in OS X Lion, is a PopupView of bookmarks. I do agree that there should be a bookmark sidebar or an activity sidebar like there's in Firefox but I don't think Apple's gonna come up with the same.

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
99% of the time I just type in the bookmark into the location bar. The others I have sorted in folders in my bookmark bar. Takes up much less space than a wasteful sidebar.

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
99% of the time I just type in the bookmark into the location bar. The others I have sorted in folders in my bookmark bar. Takes up much less space than a wasteful sidebar.
23 inches baby: and I have so many URL's as a blogger that I cannot possibly remember the addresses of all those websites to type in the right few digits... some of the government urls are REALLY long and complex and funky.

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland
23 inches baby: and I have so many URL's as a blogger that I cannot possibly remember the addresses of all those websites to type in the right few digits... some of the government urls are REALLY long and complex and funky.

There's no need to remember the URL, the address bar finds bookmarks by name too.

eclipse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
Sydney
Yes, thanks for the hint, but I'm a blogger. I have so many links on so many different subjects I have to browse by Folder and Subfolder and THEN find what I'm looking for because I can't even remember the NAME of the bookmark! EG: I have a "Greenie" folder which has sub-folders on everything from Nuclear power to Global Warming. These both have heaps of sub-sub-folders, EG: The Global Warming has a sub-sub-folder specifically linking to all the "Climate Crock of the Week" Youtube links, of which there are dozens and dozens. I can't remember how I've labelled his particular version of the "Co2 improves farm yield's" bookmark verses the dozens of other links I have to similar articles disproving that old denialist myth.

And that's just my Greenie folder, let alone some of the church stuff I follow, Family life, Entertainment, Humour, other activist causes I'm involved in... aye aye aye!

I need a bookmarks sidebar. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.