PDA

View Full Version : Video adapter killed iBook G4's display

White Plastic
Mar 18, 2005, 02:06 PM
Just over a month ago I decided to try out my 12" iBook G4's TV-out for the first time. As soon as I plugged the video adapter into the TV's composite AV-in, the iBook's display went blank. At first this seemed like a minor hiccup, but as it turned out, something really nasty had happened, because there was still no display after powering down and restarting the machine. I tried resetting the PRAM a few million times, followed by several PMU resets, but neither revived it. No display on an external monitor, either.

Unfortunately, as I'd bought the machine as soon as the G4s came out in October 2003, it was several months out of warranty, so I had to pay for a diagnosis when it I took it in for service. After waiting a whole month, I was told that the logic board would need to be replaced, costing more than a brand new iBook! They mentioned a logic board replacement program, but my machine wasn't part of it.

So I'm stuck with this half-dead iBook and I'm not sure what to do with it. I can hear the startup sound after switching the iBook on, and see a few faint flashes from the screen as the computer starts, so the display itself seems to be functional. At the moment it's looking as though I'll have to throw it up on eBay and hope someone finds a working screen/HD/combo drive/etc. of value, but I'm also thinking of taking it back to the store or getting a second opinion, as I am suspicious the store only did a rudimentary diagnosis. The worksheet suggests my machine wasn't touched for a month until I phoned to check on it, and that the "diagnosis", seemingly done while I was on hold, involved plugging in an external monitor, after which I was told the logic board would need replacing.

But before doing anything, I'd like to find out whether anyone has heard of the iBook G4's display going permanently blank after plugging in the video adapter. Are there any technicians here who've encountered this before?