Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which ONE upgrade on the current MacBook Airs would you value most?

• Total voters

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
All this talk of Sandy Bridge + No Nvidia, AMD + ATI, and even A5 processing has got me thinking.

If everything else was to remain the same (hypothetically), what one feature would you like to see improved?

Initially I was crazy over SB, but the more I thought about it, the less important CPU seemed for my use. I rarely hit the CPU bottleneck. I browse the net well, word-process, even movies are fine. I don't game much so even an Intel 3000 isn't much of an issue.

By far the thing I want to see upgraded in the new Air is battery. I regularly drain the thing to zero even if I'm at home, computing on the move is just terrific with this thing (11" Air).

I tried to include the main features but if there's anything else let us know. I didn't include "less heat" or "less noise" as my MBA has been absolutely silent and cool (well played Apple), and I'm not aware of any significant issues on this front.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Battery is the main thing that I would like to see improved too. Many have been whining about the lack of backlit KB so you'll probably ger several replies about that.

endhalf

macrumors regular
May 24, 2011
If you want to improve battery life you can try coolbook. It should add you 30-60 mins of battery depending on your CPU.

(not saying that I wouldn't be happy about increased battery life, just a suggestion)

I would actually value most probably CPU upgrade. While C2D may be ok for today usage, I don't know what will be in future, how demanding will be next OS (i mean beside Lion) etc. I'm looking forward to SB refresh and hope it will be worth the waiting...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Battery life on the 11" MBA. I don't own an 11-inch MBA, and I don't know exactly how long the battery life lasts in real-world use (my research says around 4 hours if just browsing the web (5-8 tabs) and typing a document, maybe iTunes sometimes), but I wish it lasted for +5 hours.

I wonder if that's realistic for the next SB MBA? :confused:

The other improvement I'd make to the 11" MBA is an option to have 256 GB storage, even if only on the higher-end version.

A 256 GB option for the 11" MBA is the 1st thing I'd like to see added by Apple. The 2nd is an extra hour of battery life, say around 5 hours for my uses rather than the 4 hours it probably gets now.

Last edited:

Sirolway

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
London
I agree - a faster CPU in itself is always welcome, but I'm sure I wouldn't notice it every day.

I don't have a MBA :-( but I always want battery life to be day-long & kind of assume it is (perhaps not..?)

Other than that, I ALWAYS want higher res screens & would benefit from that every time I look at it.

PraisiX-windows

macrumors regular
May 19, 2011
I picked the cpu upgrade because that is what I value the most, however that's not until after the battery life lasts the entire duration of going to school, staying there and getting back home again.

After that though It's definately cpu.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
The other improvement I'd make to the 11" MBA is an option to have 256 GB storage, even if only on the higher-end version.
Just noticed that I forgot one of the integral parts of a computer in the poll. Doh!

That would probably be my second choice too.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
I'll just assume anyone voting "other" is voting for increased storage :)

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
That is, unless they're voting for mobile broadband, another important upgrade I've left out, double doh!

plaxico44

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010
PA
A 15" screen. If there was a 15" MBA id buy one ASAP as I rarely ever use my Superdrive on my MBP.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
the newer the CPU is, the better is its energy efficiency.

Yes, I think the two (better battery life and more processing power) go hand in hand with SB. I assume we will get both. Getting the backlit keyboard back is then first on my list and this would automatically get me to purchase the newer model.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I voted for CPU, I have an iMac 7,1 and look forward to processing iMovie video faster on one of my machines. My next choice and a close 1st would be battery life.

iDave

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2003
I'll just assume anyone voting "other" is voting for increased storage :)
Me too. It's the only thing I need in my current Air. But unfortunately the base price will probably go up if storage space is increased.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
backlit keyboard - the way I use the MBA (Keynote and MS office) it's fine the way it is with 2GB and 64SSD - I won't be upgrading until this one breaks beyond sane repair costs...

Mode-III fan

macrumors member
May 7, 2011
I'd like to see improved battery life too. Back lit keyboards don't really matter as long as you can touch type.

endhalf

macrumors regular
May 24, 2011
A 15" screen. If there was a 15" MBA id buy one ASAP as I rarely ever use my Superdrive on my MBP.

That would be great. Same machine, just air with 15"... It wouldn't be be as small, but light... I'd buy that :) And while 15" it might have better CPU option.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
While Apple probably couldn't do too much about this (as it seems to be more of a general industry issue), I'd love for higher capacity (300GB+) SSDs for cheaper prices. As what will soon be my main and only computer, I'm already pushing 300GB easily... So I'm concerned.

Battery life is a close 2nd (I've been spoiled by the iPad 2), but ~7 hours wipes my current laptop across the floor (~2 hours)... So I'm not too worried.

I'd like to see less bezel to be honest lol. I've never used a backlit keyboard, so I'm not too sure what I'm missing. I don't really game at all, so the HD3000 should be fine for me.

And yuppp, I'm excited by the impending refresh. I'm selling like everything I have to buy an ultimate 13 (assuming it gets good reviews). ^_^

buckawheat

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2008
I'll stay on my Rev A 80Gig until they offer a backlit keyboard. Just too important in dark meeting rooms, dark planes and other places where it just is nice to have. Not everyone will agree with me, but it is a critical function to me.

fkhan3

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2010
I'll have to pick CPU. I would love a MBA that can handle high volume data simulations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.