Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
What is the best handheld digital recorder that is in the same price range as the Sony PCM-M10?

Or is the Sony the best for it's price range?

And will the recordings sound the same with with the same mic plugged into a Sony PCM-M10 and a Macbook?

Last edited:

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
What specs do you need?

I used to own a Zoom H4n... but I found myself only recording line level and using the microphones. My own tests and some online tests I watched seemed to confirm that the much (much!) cheaper Zoom H1 is almost as good at these two functions, so I sold the H4n and bought that instead.

I strongly recommend the H1. It's so cheap, it's possible to have a spare (or two).

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
What specs do you need?

I used to own a Zoom H4n... but I found myself only recording line level and using the microphones. My own tests and some online tests I watched seemed to confirm that the much (much!) cheaper Zoom H1 is almost as good at these two functions, so I sold the H4n and bought that instead.

I strongly recommend the H1. It's so cheap, it's possible to have a spare (or two).

I will prinarly use it for hobby use, recording nature and stuff and ofcourse I want very high quality sound.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
I will prinarly use it for hobby use, recording nature and stuff and ofcourse I want very high quality sound.

OK, but do you want to use external microphones? Do you want to have phantom power available for those externals?

The Zoom H4n is probably the class leader that everyone uses - but it's mics are the same as the cheaper H1 and the H1 also records at up to 96/24 WAV, which is as high as you need.

If you want to use internal microphone, the H1 is a bargain.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
OK, but do you want to use external microphones? Do you want to have phantom power available for those externals?

The Zoom H4n is probably the class leader that everyone uses - but it's mics are the same as the cheaper H1 and the H1 also records at up to 96/24 WAV, which is as high as you need.

If you want to use internal microphone, the H1 is a bargain.

I might want to use external mics in the future, but not right now. And for phantom power I doubt I would need that as mics that would need phantom power would likely be out of my price range.

So would the sony pcm m10 be better then the zoom h1 and could I not use xy to mini jack adapters for the sony pcm m10?

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
The specs on these two look really similar in terms of recording format, expandability etc.

The Sony looks like it has better build quality - but I don't like the fact that the microphones are internal to the body.

The Sony also costs 3x more.

You really need to go read some reviews - compare reported battery life. Also search for both models on YouTube - plenty of people post up their own reviews and samples of recordings.

You can't go wrong with either. Personally I like that the H1 provides all the quality in a much cheaper package.

Edit: To answer your question about recording quality of mic/macbook vs a dedicated recorder...

The a to d chip is likely to be better quality in a dedicated recorder, and you'll also be able to record at 24 bit, which I'm not sure you can with the MacBook. 24 bit is good, since you can set the level control to give you headroom (stop the sound from clipping) yet still get low noise/detail from quiet signals.

Last edited:

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
So between fhd sony pcm m10 and the zoom h4n what recorder has better internal mics and a/d convertor, and what has a better noise floor?

Lastly what would be a good mic for the sony that would be better quality then the internal mics for $100 or under.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
So between fhd sony pcm m10 and the zoom h4n what recorder has better internal mics and a/d convertor, and what has a better noise floor?

Lastly what would be a good mic for the sony that would be better quality then the internal mics for $100 or under.

There is no "best" mic. Some are better for different purposes. You need to know how far away to the source from the mic. in the 6 inch to foot range or more. What ambient noise is there, in other workrs do you need a very directional pattern. What is the sound level

What form factor, hand held, on a boom or stand. lav mic?. Overhead mic in a room. Is this for use outdoors, might is get wet? Does the preamp supply phantom power?

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
What type of nature sounds do you want to record? There are some mics that are made specifically for such purposes (e.g. recording bird calls). I used a great Marantz portable recorder for field research in biology. It worked great, but was not cheap... and it was kind of large too...

But, the type of sound you want to record will determine the type of mic you need, and to a lesser extent the type of recorder... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.