Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple seeded developers with Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K531) on Friday. As first noted by fscklog.com, the 10.6.8 update will offer a number of interesting enhancements.

First, Apple will use the 10.6.8 to identify and remove known variants of the Mac Defender malware. Apple released a support document last week detailing the Mac Defender malware and promising a software update to remove it. It appears 10.6.8 will be the update that accomplishes it.

Next, Apple is said to be "enhancing the Mac App Store" to get your Mac ready to upgrade to Mac OS X Lion. Lion is believed to be offered to customers via the Mac App Store. It is presently distributed to developers via Mac App Store downloads, so it's no stretch of the imagination that Apple will also be offering it to customers in the same way. Apple is expected to provide more details about Mac OS X Lion at the annual Worldwide Developer's Conference which kicks off on June 6th.

Article Link: Mac OS X 10.6.8 to Remove MacDefender, Get Mac App Store Ready for Lion

kk1ro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
I really want to buy Lion through the App Store as soon as it comes out, but I wonder if we'll be able to burn a Lion DVD, using the downloadable version.
There are occasions when a bootable OS DVD is the only way to format your Mac and I really don't want to install Snow Leopard and then upgrade to Lion every time I decide to format my HDD.

Flaxxx

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
I really want to buy Lion through the App Store as soon as it comes out, but I wonder if we'll be able to burn a Lion DVD, using the downloadable version.
There are occasions when a bootable OS DVD is the only way to format your Mac and I really don't want to install Snow Leopard and then upgrade to Lion every time I decide to format my HDD.

I came here to ask that same question. I wonder if I'd be able to put it on an external hard drive, pen drive, etc...

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Awesome, guys this probably means that OS X Lion will infact be released whenever WWDC2011 is..

asdf542

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
I hope there's a disk release so that if I have to restore/clean install I won't have to install Snow Leopard, download 10.6.8 then download and install Lion.

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
I hope there's a disk release so that if I have to restore/clean install I won't have to install Snow Leopard, download 10.6.8 then download and install Lion.

Installing via the App Store will be Apple's preferred option, however there will be the option to install via traditional media.

RTP.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany

I downloaded the dev preview 3 version from the Mac store and I was able to make a bootable DVD out of it, however there was no utility to do that. I had to find the dmg file in the package. Hopefully Apple will provide a better way to do that.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I'll probably just buy the optical media again since I have 2 Macs to upgrade. I really need to get to buying an external DVD writer for my MBA too, so I can use the digital copies of my Blu-ray movies too.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I hope lion comes on a DVD too! I have to wait 3 days to download Xcode via the App Store at home. Pretty pathetic. It a 4.5GB file. Funny, because Xcode 3 via Safari takes about 4 hours. It seems that downloads via the App Store are slower than downloading stuff using Safari.

If my Mac crashes, having to reinstall OSX 10.6.3, then update to 10.6.8, then get Lion via the App Store will be a pain in the ass. I HOPE its on a DVD, so should my Mac crash, I just pop in the DVD, wipe the hard drive, and install!

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but Lion is nowhere near ready for release.

The betas are flaky at best.

No developers have had time to build against Lion for testing.

If Apple released Lion without going through normal development cycles it would be suicide.

Look, I teach CS and Software Engineering outlines development cycles for a reason. I want Lion as much as everyone else but I was a STABLE version that runs all my software. Not a version that is riddled with bugs because Apple is so secret that don't even let developers test their software on the new OS.

Finally, at the risk of being hated, I sure hope Lion doesn't disappoint. Nothing I seen so far in Lion makes me go "Wow!" like previous full versions have (SL does not count).

Oh, and I too would like a DVD...

Cheers!
-P

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple

Pretty much why I'm sticking to physical media. Fresh install on a completely reformatted drive, sans special sectors/partitions, is what I want.

NorCal Explorer

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2010
Weaverville, CA
All in unison; Lion DVD

I agree with everyone here that they still need to provide a dvd or a thumb drive for installation or restore. This is unavoidable since if you restoring your mac how are you to connect to the internet. They must provide a physical medium to install or restore to the mac.:apple:

drummerdude1390

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2011
USA
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but Lion is nowhere near ready for release.

The betas are flaky at best.

No developers have had time to build against Lion for testing.

If Apple released Lion without going through normal development cycles it would be suicide.

Look, I teach CS and Software Engineering outlines development cycles for a reason. I want Lion as much as everyone else but I was a STABLE version that runs all my software. Not a version that is riddled with bugs because Apple is so secret that don't even let developers test their software on the new OS.

Finally, at the risk of being hated, I sure hope Lion doesn't disappoint. Nothing I seen so far in Lion makes me go "Wow!" like previous full versions have (SL does not count).

Oh, and I too would like a DVD...

Cheers!
-P

Jobs said it would be released in June. If its not at WWDC, then they only have a couple of weeks to meet the deadline.

drummerdude1390

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2011
USA

Yeh having both options would be nice. Mac App Store one would allow unlimited copies to any computer with that iTunes ID.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
I agree with everyone here that they still need to provide a dvd or a thumb drive for installation or restore. This is unavoidable since if you restoring your mac how are you to connect to the internet. They must provide a physical medium to install or restore to the mac.:apple:

Not to mention that, when the time of selling comes, putting the Lion OS to your Mac will be more attractive to the buyer than only Snow Leopard or whatever you had before - and you can only do such a "transfer" with a DVD/stick and not with an AppStore buy. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) Even if Lion costs 20 dollars more on a physical medium, I'll still prefer this ...

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Regarding the Mac Defender patch, what about those still running Leopard? Does it only target Snow Leopard?

Not like I'm stupid enough to install something like that on my computer, but it would be nice to know if they're extending the protection to other users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.