Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

riannemb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
Hi;

I've got a macbook version 10.6.6
I've got an Mini DisplayPort to HDMI
I've a HDMI to HDMI cable

Got them all connected; my television does recognize my macbook; however, I can't see neither hear the view/sound from my macbook.

Do I have to change some settings?

Greetz
Rianne

nickbgt

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2011
i have my mac setup to my 32 inch HDTV and it didnt work for me either at first. What i did was go to the System preferences and go to Display and in the bottom right hand corner hit direct display and then pick the resolution for you tv. That should work

riannemb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
Hi Nick,

Thanks; worked out fine. Just the sound is still coming from my notebook instead of my tv. Could you help me out?

Rianne

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Likely your MacBook does not support audio through MDP. What model/year is it?

Correct. My MacBook, for instance, will not carry sound out of the MiniDisplay Port - it's just the way they were made. I can, however, get a standard 3.5mm audio cord and pop that in to my TV via the MacBook's audio out port. Then it will work just fine.

Some MacBooks need cords to carry video and audio separately. Others can do both on a single cord. Most likely, yours is the former of the two.

sivkknutsen

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2011
i have my mac setup to my 32 inch HDTV and it didnt work for me either at first. What i did was go to the System preferences and go to Display and in the bottom right hand corner hit direct display and then pick the resolution for you tv. That should work

I have the same problem so I followed your directions but when I get to Displays there is no button for direct display, only detect displays. I thought there might be something there but nothing happens. Has anyone had this problem? Would be grateful for any and all help!

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
I have the same problem so I followed your directions but when I get to Displays there is no button for direct display, only detect displays. I thought there might be something there but nothing happens. Has anyone had this problem? Would be grateful for any and all help!

nickbgt definitely meant "Detect Displays".

Is the problem sound? If so, unless you have, I believe, the very last MacBook model released, it doesn't support sound over the MDP, which means you don't get any through HDMI. Most likely nothing at all is wrong, you just don't have the hardware. Run an optical cable from your headphone port (you'll need an adaptor) and call it good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.