PDA

View Full Version : DELL 2005fpw Impressions

supergod
Mar 18, 2005, 04:28 PM
I ordered the 2005fpw monitor from Dell last week. The display is a 20" widescreen. This afternoon I got the order (almost a full week before the expected shipping date!) and am very pleased with it so far. I only payed $599 CAD shipped for the monitor with two one day coupons so the monitor cost me about half of what the Apple 20" does.
The box was fairly big: it came with the stand, the monitor, the DVI and VGA cables and a USB cable. I set up the monitor fairly quickly, snapping the panel onto the stand and plugging it in. Hooking up my USB devices like my keyboards to the back however took some time, mostly due to a poor design on Dells part. The USB plugs are obscured amongst plastic and are hard to make out. Anyways after a lot of frustration getting everything together I booted up.
The size of the display was startling compared to my old Flat Screen 17" Apple Studio Display CRT. The wide aspect ratio is amazing and is going to be very helpful in just about every program, along with looking beatiful. I messed around a little bit by hooking up an xBox through the S-video connectors and playing a little bit of racing. One nice feature of the monitor is a fairly well done picture in picture: I was able to play the game while maintaining a very small window in the corner just large enough to have my iTunes so I could control my music while I played.
I've done a quick color calibration of the monitor and contrast and brightness are quite nice, if even a bit too bright. There were no dead/stuck pixels on the display. The color saturation of blues is off right now so I need to spend some more time with the settings.
The stand is supposed to be quite adjustable but in action it works quite poorly. Possibly due to some defect, I have a lot of trouble raising and tilting the display. This is especially annoying as the design is supposed to permit for you to rotate the display into portrait mode to plug in cables (as is shown on the manual that came with the display) but this is nigh impossible. On the back neck of the display is a little rubber "doohickey" that acts to gather up all loose cables. This makes the monitor look very nice and uncluttered, but the strain that the cords imput onto the display makes it hard to turn.
Overall, I would find it hard not to recommend this monitor: the value speaks for itself. For Apple diehards and style fanatics Dell is, of course, not even an option, but for those who are willing to suffer, the Dell is an amazing option. It is still quite sleek even if it's color scheme looks a bit dated. The image quality is excellent and the ability to input through Svideo and composite (along with the picture in picture) make it a far better all around monitor than the Apple.

edesignuk
Mar 18, 2005, 04:32 PM
You know about the little button at the base on the back of the stand you need to press to release it, so that you can adjust the height right? Only reason I mention it is that mine is very easy to adjust, just not sure why else you'd be having problems like that.

debroglie
Mar 18, 2005, 04:43 PM
. Hooking up my USB devices like my keyboards to the back however took some time, mostly due to a poor design on Dells part. The USB plugs are obscured amongst plastic and are hard to make out. Anyways after a lot of frustration getting everything together I booted up.
One nice feature of the monitor is a fairly well done picture in picture: I was able to play the game while maintaining a very small window in the corner just large enough to have my iTunes so I could control my music while I played...

I've done a quick color calibration of the monitor and contrast and brightness are quite nice, if even a bit too bright. There were no dead/stuck pixels on the display. The color saturation of blues is off right now so I need to spend some more time with the settings...

The stand is supposed to be quite adjustable but in action it works quite poorly. Possibly due to some defect, I have a lot of trouble raising and tilting the display. This is especially annoying as the design is supposed to permit for you to rotate the display into portrait mode to plug in cables (as is shown on the manual that came with the display) but this is nigh impossible.

I also just set up my 2005fpw. I thought I'd react to a couple of your comments.

First of all, the USB plugs underneath are very poorly designed. They just need something to guide the plug in better. The ports on the side are much better, yet uglier.

The picture in picture is INCREDIBLE. As I am writing this, I am watching EPSN in the lower right corner. The picture of the composite and s-video ins is actually very suprisingly great! The picture-by-picture is great too.

As far as color calibration, first of all it was waaaayyyy sharper than my 12" powerbook right out of the box, and then once I used supercal on it, WOW!!! It looks great. The colors seem vibrant and accurate.

There may be something wrong with your stand. Mine moves effortlessly in each direction. Right now I have it extended all the way up, above my powerbook.

http://img54.exs.cx/img54/1421/img02873mv.jpg

----Bowie----
Mar 18, 2005, 05:23 PM
Sounds good to me. I'm planing on getting one next time there on sale. :cool:

I hope I don't have to wait to long for it to come on sale again.

Calvinatir
Mar 18, 2005, 07:22 PM
I love mine, it's tits! although i am drooling over the 2405FPW for $859....

notjustjay
Mar 18, 2005, 09:56 PM
I just got my 2005FPW today too, at the same one-day sale for $599 CAD. Wow. What a monitor.

I pretty much agree with the previous posters -- the unit is not that pretty (although a lot better looking in person than I thought it would be, or seemed from the pictures). There is a LOT more room to work on my desktop now... 1680x1050 resolution is fantastic.

Very bright picture, no backlight problems, no dead pixels that I can see (which is more than I can say for the panel on my 12" Powerbook, which came with one pixel stuck on red...) If there's any complaint I have about this screen is that it makes my 12" Powerbook screen look positively washed out beside it!

I have no trouble with tilting, swivelling, or pivoting my monitor. It's a little stiff trying to adjust the height - a lot like the headrest in my car - but I'd want it to be, so the weight of the monitor itself doesn't slowly make it sink.

Overall looks very good. Now I need to get a DVD player for my desk so I can have something to hook up to the s-video port :)

I wish I had the money for an Apple aluminum display but this was half the price and had tons more usable features. Definitely recommemded.

supergod
Mar 18, 2005, 11:17 PM
I'm beginning to appreciate this monitor more and more: the fact that Dell does not advertise it as a real competition is insane. The multimedia functions of the monitor are very nicely implemented. I would have never realized how great picture in picture could be, especially merging computing and films, until I used this monitor. It is truly eye opening for me. After using a display like this, I could never go back to a straightforward monitor or TV because with a perfect size this monitor does the job of both very well.
I unplugged the monitor and yanked like hell for a while until it loosened up and now it's adjustability is much better. Just needed a little bit of a beating *hehe*.
I've turned the brightness on the monitor way down so it is bearable to look at for my CRT accustomed eyes. I wanted to know if any of you have any particularly effective color software or techniques? you can recommend. Tomorrow I'm going to software overclock my Radeon 9600 and see how I can run some games in widescreen: first I'm going to try UT 2k4 and then I'll try out a little Doom 3.

sjshaw
Mar 19, 2005, 12:03 AM
I bought mine a few weeks ago for $486 and am loving it. The DVI input from my 12" PB is super-sweet. Having a PC hooked to the VGA port, so I can switch back and forth with a press of a button, is also super-sweet. It did come with one dead pixel in the lower-left, but that's the only negative.

CanadaRAM
Mar 19, 2005, 12:16 AM
Aww.. I ordered mine the same day as you guys and I'm still waiting... Well, Monday maybe. It'll be interesting to see if it is as sharp as my very good Sharp LCD. I'm going to be doing a Mac/PC dual machine setup with it.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Mar 19, 2005, 01:49 AM
Received mine today as well. All I have to say....loading up the display 'hack' just made my day. 1600x1080 w/ an iBook! WOOT!

Of course, now I'll have to pick up a USB keyboard so I'm not twisting to my side as I'm writing.

monty77
Mar 19, 2005, 08:04 AM
Received mine today as well. All I have to say....loading up the display 'hack' just made my day. 1600x1080 w/ an iBook! WOOT!

Of course, now I'll have to pick up a USB keyboard so I'm not twisting to my side as I'm writing.

Where do you guys get these deals from? Looking to buy one when I'm in the US next week...

Cheers,
Adam

supergod
Mar 19, 2005, 09:28 AM
Forums pop up on this site every time there's a good Dell coupon. Someone posted a forum last week saying there was a one day sale for the Canadian Dell store. I was not considering getting this monitor until then but wow: the price was right. Just keep checking these forums and you'll find a deal eventually.

debroglie
Mar 19, 2005, 09:54 AM
Where do you guys get these deals from? Looking to buy one when I'm in the US next week...

Cheers,
Adam

check here (xpbargains.com) or here (techdeals.net) every day

Mar 19, 2005, 03:36 PM
Arg. I'm having a problem w/ the keyboard here.

I got a ps/2 to usb connector and plugged my old external keyboard into the monitor. The LEDs for the Num lock, etc. flashed when I plugged it in....but I can't input anything with it.

Help?

And yes, the USB cable is connected to the iBook. My USB mouse is connected to the monitor and it works fine.

hpeezy
Mar 19, 2005, 03:52 PM
okay okay.... no need to rub it in guys.... :(

i still can't believe i missed that deal last week! it must've been the one day i didn't go to the dell site, OR this forum.. and i find out the day after!!! :eek:

debroglie
Mar 19, 2005, 04:11 PM
Arg. I'm having a problem w/ the keyboard here.

I got a ps/2 to usb connector and plugged my old external keyboard into the monitor. The LEDs for the Num lock, etc. flashed when I plugged it in....but I can't input anything with it.

Help?

And yes, the USB cable is connected to the iBook. My USB mouse is connected to the monitor and it works fine.

Have you tried plugging the keyboard with the connector right into your computer? I have a keyboard plugged into my screen, and it works great.

It could be a shoddy connecter

Chip NoVaMac
Mar 19, 2005, 04:45 PM
I have the 2001FP, and can say that it is a great monitor. I had ordered the 2005FP, but got the 2001FP instead, and I happy that I got the extra pixel height that the 2001FP offers.

I have not had any issue with the height adjustment button. It may have to do with your setup and the ability to reach behind the monitor.

Yes, the bottom USB ports could have had better spacing. But then I use the monitor USB ports for my USB Hubs.

----Bowie----
Mar 19, 2005, 07:29 PM
okay okay.... no need to rub it in guys.... :(

i still can't believe i missed that deal last week! it must've been the one day i didn't go to the dell site, OR this forum.. and i find out the day after!!! :eek:

i found out about it at around 12:30am the day after the sale. :mad: :( :mad:

notjustjay
Mar 19, 2005, 08:47 PM
i found out about it at around 12:30am the day after the sale. :mad: :( :mad:

Ouch. Sorry guys. :) It'll come around again, I'm sure. I was marvelling at how much things have changed in the past year; around this time in 2004 I paid $750 for a 17" DVI/VGA BenQ LCD and I thought I was getting a great deal.

Actually, I found out about this one totally by chance, my friend on MSN sent me a message saying "Hey, Dell's going insane" and I responded "Yeah? Let me know if they ever have a good deal on their 20" widescreen LCD". My message was cross-sent with his next one, which said "20" monitor for $599!". You could see the pause and comprehension coming from both ends before I finally said something like "What???" and went to visit the Dell website...

zagato27
Mar 19, 2005, 09:07 PM
Like to agree with everyone. I got a Dell 1901FP a bit ago when I got my G5. These monitors are awesome! Not to mention the deal you can get going through the Dell Small Business site. As I recall I got mine for about $455(???, pretty inexpensive) shipped to my door. Oh yeah, no tax either :D . Gosh, for the same price I could have the newest stuff with PIP. Aw man :( . Guess that's just the way it goes. Enjoy your Dell. Function (and price) rules. BTW, my G5 gets along with the Dell just fine. As long as the "brain" is a Mac. Have you seen the Dell 42" Plasma???? Function and price. Oh my. Cheers.

supergod
Mar 19, 2005, 11:00 PM
Anyone have any recommendations for color calibration programs above and beyond the Apple system preferences. Just wanted to make sure that the color on my monitor was perfect.

ravenvii
Mar 19, 2005, 11:28 PM
Like to agree with everyone. I got a Dell 1901FP a bit ago when I got my G5. These monitors are awesome! Not to mention the deal you can get going through the Dell Small Business site. As I recall I got mine for about $455(???, pretty inexpensive) shipped to my door. Oh yeah, no tax either :D . Gosh, for the same price I could have the newest stuff with PIP. Aw man :( . Guess that's just the way it goes. Enjoy your Dell. Function (and price) rules. BTW, my G5 gets along with the Dell just fine. As long as the "brain" is a Mac. Have you seen the Dell 42" Plasma???? Function and price. Oh my. Cheers.

Yep have the 1901FP too, got an awesome deal here at MacRumors. Best. Monitor. Ever. (Well, maybe not compared to the 24", but it's one frickin' great monitor).

debroglie
Mar 19, 2005, 11:48 PM
Anyone have any recommendations for color calibration programs above and beyond the Apple system preferences. Just wanted to make sure that the color on my monitor was perfect.
I used SuperCal (http://www.bergdesign.com/supercal/) and it worked wonders (especially for my PB screen!)

Chip NoVaMac
Mar 20, 2005, 01:39 AM
Yep have the 1901FP too, got an awesome deal here at MacRumors. Best. Monitor. Ever. (Well, maybe not compared to the 24", but it's one frickin' great monitor).

Haven't gotten into the calibration stuff, but have heard good things about the Monaco stuff....

minimax
Mar 20, 2005, 04:44 AM

There are other TFT screens besides Apple and Dell you know. Dell doesnt manufacture their own screens (LG/Philips do) so I wonder why everybody is so lyrical about an average screen that's half the price of the Apple. With the apple you pay for an incredible finish so boosting your cheap Dell as half the price of the Apple is like boosting your dell computer is half the price of a powermac.

notjustjay
Mar 20, 2005, 08:01 AM
There are other TFT screens besides Apple and Dell you know. Dell doesnt manufacture their own screens (LG/Philips do) so I wonder why everybody is so lyrical about an average screen that's half the price of the Apple. With the apple you pay for an incredible finish so boosting your cheap Dell as half the price of the Apple is like boosting your dell computer is half the price of a powermac.

But Apple uses the same panel too.

Wouldn't you take your dual G5 PowerMac tower in a standard hum-drum PC case, if it meant you could save half the price? Especially if it also happened to come with, say, dual optical drives and quad DVI output, too?

I sure would - I don't care THAT much about the fancy aluminum enclosure. Function and price over form.

If the price differential was a little smaller, I might have been swayed to stick with Apple's 20" display, but at this price, I could have bought the Dell 20" AND AN ENTIRE NEW MAC (ie. Mac mini) for the same price as Apple wants for its 20" display.

Sorry, I'm a loyal Apple user, but I'm not blindly loyal. It's the same LCD panel, same quality display, better features, crappier enclosure (but not that bad, really), half the price. That matters.

Hibbity
Mar 20, 2005, 08:32 AM
I'm totally happy with my Dell...no stuck pixels, and it looks totally awesome :) I'm the envy of everyone on my floor :D

Anyone have a the 2405? Post some pics if you do...

robe
Mar 20, 2005, 08:50 AM
How cheap can this monitor be had in the UK? Dell is ~550 and it looks like eBay is ~400.

edesignuk
Mar 20, 2005, 08:52 AM
For the month of Feb Dell had it on 20% (I think it was 20%) discount, it was only 479!!! :eek: :cool: Give it time and they'll do it again, just keep an eye out.

minimax
Mar 20, 2005, 09:52 AM
But Apple uses the same panel too.

Wouldn't you take your dual G5 PowerMac tower in a standard hum-drum PC case, if it meant you could save half the price? Especially if it also happened to come with, say, dual optical drives and quad DVI output, too?

I sure would - I don't care THAT much about the fancy aluminum enclosure. Function and price over form.

If the price differential was a little smaller, I might have been swayed to stick with Apple's 20" display, but at this price, I could have bought the Dell 20" AND AN ENTIRE NEW MAC (ie. Mac mini) for the same price as Apple wants for its 20" display.

Sorry, I'm a loyal Apple user, but I'm not blindly loyal. It's the same LCD panel, same quality display, better features, crappier enclosure (but not that bad, really), half the price. That matters.

I guess finish for me really IS what decides which product I buy. If it's a little more expensive I'll accept that, but granted, the apple displays are priced a bit excessive :eek:

At the moment I have a stylish sleek silvercolored 17" TFT monitor that fits perfectly with my mini, but for my next monitor price and/ or screen size would not be most important for me but the following which the one I have now lacks:
-DVI input
-glass protection panel
-pixel guarantee

and...an anodized aluminium casing would be a big + worth a little premium :cool:

edesignuk
Mar 20, 2005, 10:08 AM
and...an anodized aluminium casing would be a big + worth a little premium :cool:
A "little" premium is one thing, near enough double the price is quite another :rolleyes:

Chip NoVaMac
Mar 20, 2005, 12:04 PM
A "little" premium is one thing, near enough double the price is quite another :rolleyes:

Agreed, and the style of the Dell is not that bad, except for their logo on the front. :D

walkerIV
Mar 20, 2005, 06:46 PM
This was a totally awesome deal.
Hopefully next time they have it when I got more money available.
Here's hoping.

amoildani
Mar 23, 2005, 04:11 PM
I just recieved the dell 2405 yesterday and wow, it even makes Windows XP look sweet. The monitor really isnt as nasty as people make it out to seem, with the "ugly, cheap plastic" it's very solid and very attractive. I like the silver rim it has. The image is amazing, looks great connected to my 12 inch pb too.

and for $850, less than 1/2 the price of the ACD23in It was an amzing deal!

i'll post pics soon

douglas
Mar 23, 2005, 05:34 PM
Just a note of caution to other Ludites - I received my dell 2005fpw week, connected it to my G4 Yikes, and ... my video card (Rage 128) does not support the optimal 1680 x 1050 resolution. I want to keep my G4 a while longer, so looks like I will need a new video card (canadaRAM suggested a used Radeon 7000, which he tested with the Dell).

Edit - I installed OS9.2.2 (had OS8.6 previously) and my machine now recognizes the 1680 x 1050 resolution with the same video card. stange.

propropro
Mar 24, 2005, 05:52 AM
Anybody with any uneven illumination problem in the 2005fpw? I'm thinking about buying it but I fear this kind of problems...

ziwi
Mar 24, 2005, 06:37 AM
I have not seen any issues with that - an I have had it for about a month and it looks great. The extra benefit of the reclaimed desk space is worth at least a portion of that price imho. I can't wait until the next sale ;) can't seem to pry it away from my wife ;) now - what to do with all of those CRT's - good quality one's but what to do????

notjustjay
Mar 24, 2005, 09:01 AM
Anybody with any uneven illumination problem in the 2005fpw? I'm thinking about buying it but I fear this kind of problems...

If you Google "Dell 2005fpw" you get links to a lot of forums (anandtech etc) where people complained about having uneven backlight problems -- even people who RMA'd one monitor after another until they finally got one they were happy with.

Thankfully, those problems seem to be all gone now. The monitor I received is perfect and has no dead pixels either.

propropro
Mar 24, 2005, 04:05 PM
If you Google "Dell 2005fpw" you get links to a lot of forums (anandtech etc) where people complained about having uneven backlight problems -- even people who RMA'd one monitor after another until they finally got one they were happy with.

Thankfully, those problems seem to be all gone now. The monitor I received is perfect and has no dead pixels either.

It's ok, I've reading some reviews and forums about the display and it seems all the first problems have been resolved, and everybody seems very happy with it.
And I suppose there is no compatibility issue with macs ;)

douglas
Mar 25, 2005, 10:54 PM
Has any one compared the image quality of DVI vs. VGA connections with the same 2005fpw monitor? I have mine connected to my G4 Yikes via VGA and am wondering if installing a DVI video card would make a difference?

Etrain
Mar 30, 2005, 05:04 PM
I just got my 2005fpw today. I love it! It is a huge step up from my 17" CRT.

Supergod - Did you ever figure out the stuck button problem? My monitor won't raise or lower etheir. The button on the back won't push in. I called Dell about it but was on hold for over an hour without any help so I hung up. :confused:

Eastend
Mar 30, 2005, 07:49 PM
I just got my 2005fpw today. I love it! It is a huge step up from my 17" CRT.

Supergod - Did you ever figure out the stuck button problem? My monitor won't raise or lower etheir. The button on the back won't push in. I called Dell about it but was on hold for over an hour without any help so I hung up. :confused:

The monitor has to be perfectly centered first, after that push in the button.
(not too far left or too far right, perfectly centered.) I just bought one of these 2005 Dell in Japan for just over 600 US dollars I had a Apple 20 inch that I gave to my brother in law, that cost twice that (It was 4 months old, bought it before they lowered the price.). I cannot tell any difference in picture quality, between the Apple or Dell. I hooked the VGA to my old PowerBook and the DVI to my new Mini, I can switch back and forth. The PowerBook only has 8 MB of Video memory but to my surprise it runs the Dell screen at 1680 X 1050, however I cannot get the iPhoto screen saver to work no memory left for that I guess. The Mac Mini drives the Dell fine and everything works with the mini, there was a Dell color Profile allready in OS X no software required and the Dell is great right out of the box. It looks different than the Apple screen but it's not too bad looking actually. The box that the Dell screen came in is nothing for design, I'll say one thing for Apple, everything is designed well, right down to the box it comes in (I can never bear to throw away an Apple packing box).

Brian

Etrain
Mar 30, 2005, 08:28 PM
Thank you for the info. I tried everything, in every position but still nothing. The height is stuck at the perfect eye level but still just knowing something about it doesn't work bothers me. Amazing product though. I got it one full week before it was even expected to ship! That is fast! I ordered it Saturday and got it Wednesday. I would recommend it to anyone. :D

Eastend
Mar 30, 2005, 09:15 PM
Here is the Mini with the Dell, way above the Mini out of site is a PowerBook hooked to the VGA in the Dell, the screen is the Mini. Tiny picture.

Brian

supergod
Mar 30, 2005, 09:44 PM
The button on my monitor was never stuck, it just seemed a little "stiff". I don't know why. Either way, I disconnected all my cables, picked it up and just messed with it a little: loosened 'er up and now it works great. I'm cautiously looking forwards to Tiger's optional display rotation mode. I could see this being very useful for some of my programs: logic 7 would be quite functional in portrait mode.
At the same time, I can hardly think that I will use portrait mode on a regular basis because it is so darned difficult to tilt the display with all the cables plugged in to the back. The only option I can see is to have a USB hub but I see this as a total pain when the monitor should do the job just fine. Oh well.

Eastend
Mar 30, 2005, 10:31 PM
Has any one compared the image quality of DVI vs. VGA connections with the same 2005fpw monitor? I have mine connected to my G4 Yikes via VGA and am wondering if installing a DVI video card would make a difference?

My PowerBook is hooked up to a VGA and a Mac Mini is on the DVI, Quality looks about the same to me, however the PowerBooks Video card will not let iPhoto screen saver work, it's probably too much video memory for the old Book. It is so nice, number one is the book number two is the Mini and three is the s-video for tv's or videos, etc, so easy to switch back and forth.

Brian

Abulia
Apr 6, 2005, 11:04 AM
My PM (.sig) is using DVI and my PC gaming rig is using VGA. I can't see any meaningful loss of quality between the two pictures. Had a Gamecube hooked up via S-video for a bit but wasn't impressed. (This is more likely a fault of the Gamecube as I'm used to my Xbox on my HD set via component.) :)

My X800 control panel supports rotating a picture; I've played around with portrait mode and while nifty, can't see any great benefit (for me). As others have noted, rotating the display can be a little difficult. You have to string your wires a certain way to make the rotation smooth.

Visited a CompUSA over the weekend and saw my first 20" Apple display in person. Cosmetic differences aside, the picture was no better nor worse than the Dell, IMO.

The 30" was amazing, though. :eek:

debroglie
Apr 6, 2005, 11:26 AM
My PM (.sig) is using DVI and my PC gaming rig is using VGA. I can't see any meaningful loss of quality between the two pictures. Had a Gamecube hooked up via S-video for a bit but wasn't impressed. (This is more likely a fault of the Gamecube as I'm used to my Xbox on my HD set via component.) :)

I'm surprised that you say that about your gamecube. I have one set up, and through the composit it is pretty bad, but through s-video it is very sharp! (Make sure you aren't stretching it for widescreen) Are you using a 3rd party video cable or the nintendo one?

crap freakboy
Apr 6, 2005, 12:58 PM
UK Dell sale now on monitors

DELL
Dell Ultrasharp 2001FP 20" performance LCD Flat Panel Monitor. 250cd/m2 brightness, 400:1 contrast, 16ms response time. Midnight grey TCO99
incl. VAT, shipping
[You Save 168.85]

&

DELL - Dell Ultrasharp 2005FPW 20" widescreen LCD Flat Panel Monitor. 300cd/m2 brightness, 600:1 contrast, 16ms response time. Midnight Grey TCO99
Dell Part : 29082, Manufacturer Part : 200-28481
Usually Ships: 5-7 Days
[You Save 113.74]

DELL - Dell Ultrasharp 2405FPW 24" widescreen LCD Flat Panel Monitor. 500cd/m2 brightness, 1000:1 contrast, 16ms response time. Midnight Grey TCO99
Dell Part : 30906, Manufacturer Part : 200-30408
Usually Ships: 5-7 Days
[You Save 3.53]
(edit:oops didnt notice the massive saving on this one....I'll have two thank you very much)

it pains me to type Dell fyi :o

oh btw anyone seen/use a Dell LCD TV? Any comment on picture quality?

combatcolin
Apr 6, 2005, 01:40 PM
I'm totally happy with my Dell...no stuck pixels, and it looks totally awesome :) I'm the envy of everyone on my floor :D

Anyone have a the 2405? Post some pics if you do...

Do we like the Absinthe then :eek:

(Top left of pic)

SiliconAddict
Apr 6, 2005, 03:46 PM
I have not seen any issues with that - an I have had it for about a month and it looks great. The extra benefit of the reclaimed desk space is worth at least a portion of that price imho. I can't wait until the next sale ;) can't seem to pry it away from my wife ;) now - what to do with all of those CRT's - good quality one's but what to do????

I just returned mine this week. The screen is (Scratch that) WAS fantastic until you start playing dark games/movies or have some black screensaver. My 2005FPW had a backlight bleed problem in the lower left about the size of my fist and the upper right about the size of a small cellphone. Again it was only with black screens and the lights turned low where the "issue" is viewable. I'm REALLY picky about my display and had it replaced by Dull twice. The first had 6 bad pixels. The second....well...never got the second before 21st day deadline for returning the thing came up. I wasn't willing to gamble that much money on a screen. I've done a lot of research on the 2005FPW and honestly. You aren't going to get a screen without some moderate backlight bleed...period. From what I've read the actual display type is different from those used in the 2405 model hence the reason the 2405 has little to no backlight bleed.
My biggest complaint about Dull is their customer support. In my life I have NEVER...EVER had support as completely and totally horrid as theirs. The magic spell I learned (too late to be useful as it turns out...21day return thing again.) was to used support via e-mail and instant chat. Under no circumstances call Dell. Both times I called them I got some Indian that was only slightly more comprehensible then white noise. The first call I did took 2 hours to get them to ship me a new monitor. The second call I did I simply hung up on them. I'm sorry but trying to get a mailing address from someone who has a accent that is thicker then pea soup was causing me to want to gnaw off my arm in frustration.
Again if you need to do returns send it to: US_CTS_Desktop_Support@dell.com

or simply using Dell's web based chat utility (That prob doesn't work on Macs :rolleyes: )

Again for the price the monitor was fantastic. I think I'm just overly sensitive to that backlight bleed thing and it doesn't help that I'm a big fan of space based games (Read: Lot of black on screen.)
All I know is I'm going to wait for the next deal from Dell and get a 2405FPW instead. I've heard almost no complaints about that screen. The thing is I'm not willing to spend more then 900 on a monitor so I'm going to have to wait for one of Dell's uber deals to creep up.

notjustjay
Apr 6, 2005, 04:12 PM
Well, to each his own, of course, but my 2005 has no dead pixels and as far as I can see there is no backlight bleeding, it looks very even. Maybe I'm not as picky or my eyes aren't tuned to look for it, but even in pitch black, beside my 12" Powerbook LCD, they both look pretty much the same. Well, in pitch black the screen looks kind of very very pale greenish.

virtuapimp
Apr 7, 2005, 09:01 AM
Wait wait. This monitor is just a good as the apple display plus it allows me to connect my games consoles to it AND is cheaper? The only problem is that its as
ugly as sin. Well I'm sold.

Etrain
Apr 7, 2005, 06:57 PM
It's really not that ugly at all when in real life. The pictures don't do it justice. In person it is actualy pretty nice looking I think.

imolared
Apr 19, 2005, 06:56 PM
It's really not that ugly at all when in real life. The pictures don't do it justice. In person it is actualy pretty nice looking I think.

I agree. I got my 2005FP last week and I'm very happy with it. Currently hooked up to my Dell server as it's where I have my HDTV video capture card which compliments the Wide screen nature of the 2005FP.

http://www.pbase.com/jeffwong/image/42117424/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/jeffwong/image/42184985/original.jpg

-Imolared

supergod
Apr 19, 2005, 07:29 PM
Wow: nice to see this thread is still going.

Anyone know for sure yet whether display rotation is supported in Tiger? I remember seeing some screen early info leading towards this but didn't see it mentioned on the Tiger site. On that note, who here would actually see themselves making use of this feature?

Chip NoVaMac
Apr 19, 2005, 07:59 PM
Anyone know for sure yet whether display rotation is supported in Tiger? I remember seeing some screen early info leading towards this but didn't see it mentioned on the Tiger site. On that note, who here would actually see themselves making use of this feature?

I know I sure would like to. It would make websurfing a little easier, and page layout too.

berkleeboy210
Apr 19, 2005, 09:36 PM
Hi Guys,

I have this Wonderful Screen Too, was wanting the Apple Display for a while but just couldn't find my self spending almost a grand on a display. My question (s) are as followed.

I have this screen currently connected to my HD Cable Box, and my Dell Desktop. - My 12" PowerBook is Coming tomorrow :)

I have a question about the USB hub built into the Monitor. - I haven't really used it much up till now because I really had no need too. But here's my question.

I have a Logitech Wireless Keyboard and mouse and the reciever is a little USB dongle which is currently connected through a USB Port on the PC. I was wondering if I hooked up the Reciever to a Port on the Monitor if it would be recognized by my PowerBook when I switch the Screen over to that input.

My desk is too filled up with my 88 keystation pro, and don't have room for the bluetooth kybd and mouse.

If anyone has any input about this at all, it would be greatly appreciated.

Etrain
Apr 20, 2005, 06:40 PM
Just a little update: I have received a new stand to replace the defective one. Now I could not be happier.

Just a little FYI - the monitor does not include a "service tag" which is needed to chat online with a tech. This causes allot of run around with trying to get tech help but the monitor itself is great.

witness
Apr 20, 2005, 07:32 PM
I've heard such good reports about these dell monitors (made by LG I believe) that I ordered one a couple of weeks ago. Still waiting though, every day I look at dells order tracking page the estimated deliver date moves back a day :(

ACD's do look nice, but they lack height adjustment and are excessively priced.

I have a Logitech Wireless Keyboard and mouse and the reciever is a little USB dongle which is currently connected through a USB Port on the PC. I was wondering if I hooked up the Reciever to a Port on the Monitor if it would be recognized by my PowerBook when I switch the Screen over to that input.
Sorry, but that wont work. What you probably need is KVM switch. Newer ones have USB support.

Eastend
Apr 20, 2005, 08:23 PM
Hi Guys,

I have this Wonderful Screen Too, was wanting the Apple Display for a while but just couldn't find my self spending almost a grand on a display. My question (s) are as followed.

I have this screen currently connected to my HD Cable Box, and my Dell Desktop. - My 12" PowerBook is Coming tomorrow :)

I have a question about the USB hub built into the Monitor. - I haven't really used it much up till now because I really had no need too. But here's my question.

My desk is too filled up with my 88 keystation pro, and don't have room for the bluetooth kybd and mouse.

If anyone has any input about this at all, it would be greatly appreciated.
I have a mini and a PowerBook hooked up to this screen. My Mini has a wireless usb receiver for my mouse it works on the monitor because the minis usb is hooked into the monitors usb hub. However, the PowerBooks usb is not, what I'm saying is, you have got to hook up the machine to the
usb hub on the monitor first. Trouble is I do not think you can hook up two machines at the same time to the monitors usb hub. I use a matias tactile pro keyboard for my PowerBook and a Apple mouse the keyboard is directly into the Book. For the Mini I use a bluetooth wireless keyboard and the Microsoft wireless mouse. In short, there is only one USB input on the Dell screen as far as I know. The screen can be used on two machines because it has VGA and DVI inputs and you can switch that back and forth. I do not know how you can work around the one USB input on the monitor though. Perhaps you could use a USB hub in between the machines and monitor, but it probably would not work? Sorry, not much help. Good Luck.

Brian

MacSA
Apr 21, 2005, 05:05 AM
Ive not seen the Dell 2005FPW 20" listed on the Dell UK website. Is it not available in the UK?

Chip NoVaMac
Apr 21, 2005, 06:23 AM
Ive not seen the Dell 2005FPW 20" listed on the Dell UK website. Is it not available in the UK?

It was as of Christmas timeframe. A few UK members got them at the time.

edesignuk
Apr 21, 2005, 06:26 AM
Ive not seen the Dell 2005FPW 20" listed on the Dell UK website. Is it not available in the UK?You're not looking hard enough! :p

hmmmm....what's this? (http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?sku=29082&c=uk&l=en&cs=ukdhs1&category_id=6198&first=true&page=productlisting.aspx)

MacSA
Apr 21, 2005, 06:36 AM
554 :eek: Those widescreen displays are pricey.

This looks pretty cheap for a 19" display, 249:
http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&sku=21632&category_id=4009

And this 20" for 389
http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&sku=12188&category_id=4009

tobefirst
Apr 21, 2005, 07:31 AM
554 :eek: Those widescreen displays are pricey.

This looks pretty cheap for a 19" display, 249:
http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&sku=21632&category_id=4009

And this 20" for 389
http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&sku=12188&category_id=4009

yeah, it seems that the right side of the pond got the shaft on this one. I just ordered two of the 2005fpw, and with a coupon, got them for $487 US each. That's about 255, versus the 389 you have listed.

...and that's not even the widescreen 20in...as edesign shows, the widescreen is a lot more expensive.

MacSA
Apr 21, 2005, 07:42 AM
yeah, it seems that the right side of the pond got the shaft on this one. I just ordered two of the 2005fpw, and with a coupon, got them for $487 US each. That's about 255, versus the 389 you have listed.

...and that's not even the widescreen 20in...as edesign shows, the widescreen is a lot more expensive.

No, the 2005fpw is 554 on the Dell website here..... thats $1057 at the current exchange rate :( http://www.reuters.co.uk/currencies.jhtml

The 389 is for a regular 20" display.

tobefirst
Apr 21, 2005, 07:45 AM
No, the 2005fpw is 554 on the Dell website here..... thats $1057 at the current exchange rate :( http://www.reuters.co.uk/currencies.jhtml

The 389 is for a regular 20" display.

Yeah, i noticed that after I posted. I edited to include that. (:

Sox
Apr 21, 2005, 09:00 AM
So, should I not be ordering an Apple 20"? No S-video in connection, too expensive, etc? Is there any reason to even consider the Apple over these Dells besides form factor?

tobefirst
Apr 21, 2005, 09:48 AM
personally i don't think so. as i mentioned above, i just got two of the dell monitors for nearly the same i would have paid for an apple monitor. they might not look as sweet as the apple displays do, but i think it's a general concensous that the apple displays are over-priced...for most people that is.

notjustjay
Apr 21, 2005, 09:51 AM
Nope. Form factor and/or you're a devoted Apple loyalist who will buy Apple stuff at any cost.

I love Apple and I would have had a Cinema Display on my desk but not at twice the price of the 100% equivalent alternative.

Reports here and at Macintouch suggest that Dell's quality control may not be at 100%... some people, as you've seen, get duds, others (like me :D) get perfect units. If you get a dud, though, Dell's customer service seems pretty good about getting you a replacement.

hpeezy
Apr 21, 2005, 12:21 PM
ya, i just received my 2005FPW about half an hour ago after purchasing new from someone here at macrumors.

and i LOVE IT! BUT.... there's a dead pixel that's not close enough to the edge of the screen to be easily "ignored."

i'm tempted to contact dell for a replacement.. but doesn't that mean parting with this one and waiting some more??? (it took FOREVER for this one to get to me with crossing the border, sitting in customs, etc.)

Nope. Form factor and/or you're a devoted Apple loyalist who will buy Apple stuff at any cost.

I love Apple and I would have had a Cinema Display on my desk but not at twice the price of the 100% equivalent alternative.

Reports here and at Macintouch suggest that Dell's quality control may not be at 100%... some people, as you've seen, get duds, others (like me :D) get perfect units. If you get a dud, though, Dell's customer service seems pretty good about getting you a replacement.

denm316
Apr 21, 2005, 01:03 PM
Dells monitor exchange works like this:

-They mail you a new one and then you ship the old one back in the box they send you. Therefore you will not be without it at all.

hpeezy
Apr 21, 2005, 01:28 PM
ya, i just read something like that on their website.. that would be GREAT! i just hope i don't run into complications from two things:
1) i'm not the original owner
2) it was bought in the US, and it's now with me in Canada. (it would be MUCH simpler if i'm able to deal with dell canada)

Dells monitor exchange works like this:

-They mail you a new one and then you ship the old one back in the box they send you. Therefore you will not be without it at all.

enginerd
Apr 21, 2005, 01:34 PM
For US buyers, Dell has a killer deal on now.

40% off code: 9LRWGD0NFZD9B? (Exp Wed 4/27 5:59am CT) -
$65 off $500 Code: BPTQ95NDT9020R (Exp Wed 4/27 5:59am CT) = $384, Free shipping.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-4111

I'm seriously tempted..

bmat
Apr 21, 2005, 01:57 PM
temptation got the better of me. i ordered at that price.

Lancetx
Apr 21, 2005, 02:50 PM
temptation got the better of me. i ordered at that price.

Me too, I just placed my order. Now I just need a Mac mini to go with it. Well, I guess I'll go cancel my Tiger order now and buy a Mac mini with Tiger included next Friday night instead. :)

noel4r
Apr 21, 2005, 05:50 PM
well, i dont know if it's a wise decision or not, but i just ordered one also. it came out to US$424.00 including tax

YoYoMac
Apr 21, 2005, 06:41 PM
Don't want sound like an Idiot, but I probably will.
When I try to use the coupons on Dell's site, nothing happens.
Did they expire early?

Oh, and how do you expect to use a 500$ coupon for something that is less then 500? I'm not sure how that works.

Chrispy
Apr 21, 2005, 09:51 PM
Unfortunatly, the coupons have expired already.

barrettd
Apr 22, 2005, 01:26 PM
well, i dont know if it's a wise decision or not, but i just ordered one also. it came out to US$424.00 including tax

Same for me. What'd they give you as estimated shipping date? I can't wait to get my hands on this thing.

noel4r
Apr 22, 2005, 01:35 PM
Same for me. What'd they give you as estimated shipping date? I can't wait to get my hands on this thing.

Estimated ship date is on or before 4/27/05

Delivery Estimate: Monday, May 02, 2005 - Wednesday, May 04, 2005
This information is current as of Friday, April 22, 2005.

Lancetx
Apr 22, 2005, 02:02 PM
The one I ordered yesterday already arrived today! But then again, I do live only 200 miles or so from Dell's HQ. Either way, it's still tremendous service especially considering I selected the free ground shipping.