PDA

View Full Version : Xcode and gcc not being found

dukebound85
May 29, 2011, 11:59 PM
Hi all, I am trying to set up Xcode 3 on my brothers mb. It installs but when we are trying to compile a c program we get a message that the gcc command is not found

We have tried reinstalling xcode as wel and it hasn't alleviated the issue

Any idea how to get this compiler to be recognized?

jiminaus
May 30, 2011, 07:11 AM
Hi all, I am trying to set up Xcode 3 on my brothers mb. It installs but when we are trying to compile a c program we get a message that the gcc command is not found

We have tried reinstalling xcode as wel and it hasn't alleviated the issue

Any idea how to get this compiler to be recognized?

Try uninstalling XCode with following command before reinstalling.

sudo /Developer/Library/uninstall-devtools --mode=all

Try making sure Unix Development is ticked, if it wasn't already, when you reinstall. I know it says it's optional. But just in case.

firewood
May 30, 2011, 01:21 PM
Look in /usr/bin/ for gcc , and make sure your $PATH shell variable includes it if you are compiling from the command line.

Look in /Developer/Applications/ for Xcode.

dukebound85
May 30, 2011, 02:07 PM
He downloaded Xcode 3.1.x and during the install, there was no way to click the unix command tools as it was permanently greyed out. I researched some and believe that 3.1.x unix tools are applicable only for 10.5 and you need 3.2.x to be able to install them on 10.6

With that said, does anyone know where I can download xcode 3.2.6? or whatever? We have the free Apple developer acct and are only able to find xcode 4. Surely xcode 3.2.x is still up somewhere right?

gnasher729
May 30, 2011, 03:07 PM
He downloaded Xcode 3.1.x and during the install, there was no way to click the unix command tools as it was permanently greyed out. I researched some and believe that 3.1.x unix tools are applicable only for 10.5 and you need 3.2.x to be able to install them on 10.6

With that said, does anyone know where I can download xcode 3.2.6? or whatever? We have the free Apple developer acct and are only able to find xcode 4. Surely xcode 3.2.x is still up somewhere right?

Logged into the developer site, in big print you see "Download XCode 4", and in the same box in small print "Looking for XCode 3? -> Download"

Cromulent
May 30, 2011, 03:11 PM
Ignore. Question already answered.

dukebound85
May 30, 2011, 06:41 PM
Thanks all. Always right in front of ya lol