PDA

View Full Version : dropped powerbook ouucchh !!!

Gokhan
Mar 18, 2005, 07:19 PM
damn

i just rather stupidly dropped my out of warranty powerbook g4
now it was out of charge when this happened but now when i plug the ac adapter in it stays blank no orange light nothing !!!!

my question is how much charge does my battery need to turn on this machine it has one quickly blinking light left on battery display !!

also how do you tell if the logic board is busted cause i cant see no cracks or anything and the impact was minimal ):

help a loigc board is 700 to replace in the uk appartley

5300cs
Mar 18, 2005, 11:05 PM
Pull the battery out and put it back in, or try resetting the PMU (Power Management Unit.) That may fix it...

As for the logic board, the display will stop working (blank) or freeze if it's damaged.

How much of a fall did it take? 2 feet? 5 feet? I dropped my old TiBook off a 3 foot stool once, and it came away with only a small dent (had a heart-attack mid drop though) :eek:

I wish you luck

jim.
Mar 18, 2005, 11:51 PM
This happened to me too. Was the PB plugged in when it fell? Did the adapter get bent? I had to rotate my bent adapter until it made a connection; then it worked fine. If it is horribly bent you have a couple of options. One involves a pair of needle-nosed pliers, the other involves a $70 replacement. I took the pliers route and had little trouble.

Jim

puckhead193
Mar 19, 2005, 12:00 AM
well that stinks, was there alot of dents? Can you post pictures?

dotdotdot
Mar 19, 2005, 12:02 AM
Try to "fiddle" with what you can - RAM, Battery, etc... check if thats all in order...

Then, try to fit the Power adapter to charge it - if it doesnt work then...

Go to Apple.com and make a Genius Bar appointment and head down to the Apple store ASAP

Gokhan
Mar 19, 2005, 07:50 PM
thanks so much

i am going to apple asap

it fell while not in use and no charge left in battery

i think it is the ac not making a connection because when i examined a friends powerbook the ac inlet on his pb has a little pin which makes conatct with the ac but my pin seems to have broken and my adapter feels loose so tommorrow i will go to the apple store regent street and see if a fully charged battery helps power this thing if not i dont know what i am gonna do !!!!

can you tell me how the pillars thing works dude ????

stupid stupid me ):

Gokhan
Mar 20, 2005, 05:46 PM
s***t

i went to the applestore today and my dc in baord is gone and the machine did not boot with a fully charged battery ):

so i can pay apple 47 and have them tell me whats busted i am guessing logic board etc

can anyone please tell me if anything apart from the logic board will stop pb booting ????????