PDA

View Full Version : Programs open up without permission upon startup

patrick001
May 30, 2011, 09:19 PM
So I'm not sure how or why my Disk Utility, Console, Chrome and Skype programs open when I restart my computer everytime, because I make sure nothing is re-opened when I go to restart my computer. Has anyone else had this problem, and is there a solution or suggestion for this?

Galaxas0
May 30, 2011, 09:23 PM
It's a slight quirk with Lion. Resume, the new app state management feature will save the state of your open applications while turning off, restarting or even during a kernel panic. Upon turning back on, all the apps will re-open. Note that this only happens for open applications.

Which brings me to #2 - the fact that Lion hides your open apps (no dock indicator) means you never close the app. This is why those apps opened back up. Happens to me too, and it's a big quirk. Enable Dock Indicators if you need to know which apps are open.

patrick001
May 30, 2011, 09:33 PM
It's a slight quirk with Lion. Resume, the new app state management feature will save the state of your open applications while turning off, restarting or even during a kernel panic. Upon turning back on, all the apps will re-open. Note that this only happens for open applications.

Which brings me to #2 - the fact that Lion hides your open apps (no dock indicator) means you never close the app. This is why those apps opened back up. Happens to me too, and it's a big quirk. Enable Dock Indicators if you need to know which apps are open.

Yeah, but it still re-opens the same applications even when I quit them before I restart. Does anyone know of a fix for this?

SEV3N source
Jul 24, 2011, 01:10 AM
Navigate to the folder:
~/Library/Preferences/ByHost

Find the .plist file starting with:
com.apple.loginwindow

Open it up with your text editor and delete starting from
<array>

and ending at
</array>

Save the file and quickly set the permissions to Read Only. Setting it to read only ensures that the system will not be able to write to it for the remainder of the system's uptime.

You can also try simply deleting the file before shut down.

I have noticed that this will only last for one power cycle, but I'm working on a script can be run right before shutdown to ensure a faster, cleaner start up.

Lion and the new "Resume" feature is horrendous. I have found dock icons that can not permanently be removed because the system just wants to reset to where it was when Lion shut down for the first time. This is terrible, Apple. Please fix this ASAP.

- SEV3N

AndyH219
Jul 26, 2011, 10:50 AM
Just got off the phone with Apple Care. Here is the way you stop Lion from reopening programs automatically:

1. SYSTEM PREFERENCES
2. GENERAL
3. GO DOWN TO "NUMBER OF RECENT ITEMS"
4. UNCHECK "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps"

HighStrungLoner
Jul 26, 2011, 12:21 PM
The General System Preferences check-box only works to stop apps from opening specific windows. The apps themselves still open when restarting. It's just stupid. I'm sure they'll fix it soon.