PDA

View Full Version : XCode 4

multinode
May 30, 2011, 09:39 PM
I would like to download XCode 4 in advance of attending WWDC 2011. I'm willing to pay the $4.99 for it, but Apple seems to be saying that I must be running OSX 10.6.7 before they will allow the download.

I know that I can't use XCode 4 unless I'm running 10.6.7. Although I'm not yet ready to install 10.6.7, I'd still like to download XCode 4 now because download time is probably pretty long. Any suggestions please?

Hansr
May 31, 2011, 04:18 AM
Not unless you sign up for the dev program. Most likely you should already be in it if you're going to WWDC? Why do you not want to be up to date?

multinode
May 31, 2011, 01:05 PM
I'm not usually the first guy on the block to upgrade anything ... I usually check feedback from others to see how bug free is the new software. I will probably upgrade to 10.6.7, but not yet ... I have downloaded it to my system.

I'd like to download XCode 4 now because its download time is probably long and I don't want to waste that time at WWDC ... attendance time there is expensive. It seems that Apple won't let me even download XCode 4 until I've installed 10.6.7 ... is that correct?

Hansr
May 31, 2011, 01:56 PM
Yes.

10.6.7 is done and dusted. 10.6.8 has already seeded. 10.7 will most likely be distributed by WWDC. If you want to be a developer you need to stay current or at least have a secondary machine where you can keep everything up to date.

wlh99
May 31, 2011, 01:59 PM
I'm not usually the first guy on the block to upgrade anything ... I usually check feedback from others to see how bug free is the new software. I will probably upgrade to 10.6.7, but not yet ... I have downloaded it to my system.

I'd like to download XCode 4 now because its download time is probably long and I don't want to waste that time at WWDC ... attendance time there is expensive. It seems that Apple won't let me even download XCode 4 until I've installed 10.6.7 ... is that correct?

If you are a member of the developer program, you can download xCode 4 for free without installing it here:http://developer.apple.com/xcode/index.php

If you are not a developer you need to pay the $5 and upgrade.

multinode
Jun 1, 2011, 12:58 AM
Earlier today I upgraded a backup drive (temporarily) to 10.6.7 and took 4 hours to download XCode 4 (ugh!). I ran that new XCode and saw that its UI is totally changed ... another big learning curve. So what advantage/s does XCode 4 give me over 3.2.5 please??

Hey Hansr ...

I didn't ask for your opinion about my judgement vis-a-vis which OS version I should have installed. I've probably been involved with computer development since before you were born. So cool the condescension please.

10.6.7 is done and dusted. 10.6.8 has already seeded. 10.7 will most likely be distributed by WWDC. If you want to be a developer you need to stay current or at least have a secondary machine where you can keep everything up to date.

Hansr
Jun 1, 2011, 07:33 AM
No need to be touchy, simply stating that if you want to be a dev in Apples playground they will force you to be up to date all the time. It's not my opinion, it's just the way things are with Apple.

I've probably been involved with computer development since before you were born.

No and completely irrelevant to the topic at hand, no need to digress to some "don't tell me what to do" mode.

dejo
Jun 1, 2011, 03:22 PM
I've probably been involved with computer development since before you were born. So cool the condescension please.
Ah, the irony...

chown33
Jun 1, 2011, 03:50 PM
Earlier today I upgraded a backup drive (temporarily) to 10.6.7 and took 4 hours to download XCode 4 (ugh!). I ran that new XCode and saw that its UI is totally changed ... another big learning curve. So what advantage/s does XCode 4 give me over 3.2.5 please??

See the "Xcode 4 Transition Guide" for info on the major changes:
http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/IDEs/Conceptual/Xcode4TransitionGuide/Introduction/Introduction.html

I think you'll have to decide for yourself whether any particular change is an advantage or not.

multinode
Jun 1, 2011, 05:06 PM
Thanx CHOWN33.

See the "Xcode 4 Transition Guide" for info on the major changes:
http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/IDEs/Conceptual/Xcode4TransitionGuide/Introduction/Introduction.html

I think you'll have to decide for yourself whether any particular change is an advantage or not.