PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs to Introduce iCloud, iOS 5, and Mac OS X Lion at WWDC Keynote

Pages : [1] 2

Ambrose Chapel
May 31, 2011, 07:48 AM
looks like it's ready:

Apple® CEO Steve Jobs and a team of Apple executives will kick off the company’s annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) with a keynote address on Monday, June 6 at 10:00 a.m. At the keynote, Apple will unveil its next generation software - Lion, the eighth major release of Mac OS® X; iOS 5, the next version of Apple’s advanced mobile operating system which powers the iPad®, iPhone® and iPod touch®; and iCloud®, Apple’s upcoming cloud services offering.

xUKHCx
May 31, 2011, 07:56 AM
Here is a link to the press release (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/05/31wwdc.html).

Seems like it will be big. :)

jaw04005
May 31, 2011, 08:01 AM
Really happy that Steve will be back. Can't wait for iCloud especially if I don't have to upload my iTunes purchases.

It's a great time to be an Apple user, two new operating systems! Wohoo.

roadbloc
May 31, 2011, 08:01 AM
Looking forward to it.

Terrified
May 31, 2011, 08:02 AM
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/31/apple-to-unveil-icloud-monday-june-6/

AdeFowler
May 31, 2011, 08:02 AM
Steve Jobs eh?, the man who only had six weeks to live in February :rolleyes:

Good to have him there. Can't wait.

MacRumors
May 31, 2011, 08:08 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/31/steve-jobs-to-introduce-icloud-ios-5-and-mac-os-x-lion-at-wwdc-keynote/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/wwdc_2011_banner-500x258.jpg

Apple today announced (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/05/31wwdc.html) that Steve Jobs will indeed host the keynote for the company's Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) next Monday in San Francisco. Aside from the expected focus on iOS 5 and Mac OS X Lion, Apple's announcement also confirms that Jobs will introduce the company's "iCloud" service.Apple CEO Steve Jobs and a team of Apple executives will kick off the company's annual Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) with a keynote address on Monday, June 6 at 10:00 a.m. At the keynote, Apple will unveil its next generation software - Lion, the eighth major release of Mac OS X; iOS 5, the next version of Apple’s advanced mobile operating system which powers the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch; and iCloud, Apple's upcoming cloud services offering.Apple last month was reported (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/04/28/apple-purchases-icloud-com-for-4-5-million/) to have purchased the iCloud.com domain name, with additional reports claiming that Apple has indeed been referring to its streaming service by that name. Apple has been said to be close (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/24/apple-and-music-publishers-close-to-agreement-on-cloud-licensing-but-delays-still-possible/) to wrapping up negotiations with major music labels and publishers to allow users to stream their owned music from Apple's cloud-based servers to any of a number of Internet-connected devices.

Article Link: Steve Jobs to Introduce iCloud, iOS 5, and Mac OS X Lion at WWDC Keynote (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/31/steve-jobs-to-introduce-icloud-ios-5-and-mac-os-x-lion-at-wwdc-keynote/)

Totalkharnage
May 31, 2011, 08:09 AM
Holy cr*p.

**** just got real !

HE15MAN
May 31, 2011, 08:09 AM
iPhone 5?

jonessodarally
May 31, 2011, 08:11 AM
Seems unusual that they'd give a list of things they plan to announce beforehand. They must be really worried about people not showing up over the rumors about no new iPhone.

stewart1988
May 31, 2011, 08:12 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Let's hope iCloud is not only in the US!

Can't wait for iOS5! A better Notification system is all I want!

Eduardo1971
Wow! His holiness Steve Jobs will speak!;)

Looking forward to next week!!

kendo88
This keynote is going to be huge. Even if no Hardware is released (although I'm sure there will be something), the software and services are going to be amazing!

Michaelgtrusa
May 31, 2011, 08:13 AM
This is good news for geeks.:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

ghostlyorb
Woah! So no surprises this year! We already know what they will be doing! Well here is hoping that iOS 5 will come out soon and be awesome! And I hope iCloud will be good too, with no high monthly cost.

ImNoSuperMan
Sweet. Hope there is a video stream available.

elithrar
Seems unusual that they'd give a list of things they plan to announce beforehand. They must be really worried about people not showing up over the rumors about no new iPhone.

It sold out. I think they're more concerned about drumming up media coverage—it's easy for the media to talk about a new device (a single point of focus)—but new software (as good as it is) is decidedly less appealing to viewers/visitors.

bondsbw
May 31, 2011, 08:14 AM
:eek:

Where is the Apple I have come to know and love? The one that keeps me guessing and feeding off rumors and supposed leaks until 10AM Pacific Time on announcement day?

Otaviano
May 31, 2011, 08:15 AM

:rolleyes: It was sold out within an hour this year.

rdowns
I can't remember Apple ever telling you what was being introduced at an event in a press release.

Kilamite
I really hope Apple do a live video broadcast of this!

ikir
May 31, 2011, 08:16 AM
I can't wait! iOS 5 and Mac OS 10.7!, slurp!

hollerz
May 31, 2011, 08:17 AM
I'm probably more excited about this keynote than any previous ones. Can't wait! :D

drewyboy
They must be really worried about people not showing up over the rumors about no new iPhone.

Always to have a nice laugh in the morning. No one goes for hardware related news, hence what WWDC actually stands for... developers = software. It sold out ridiculously fast, like always.

The reason they announced all 3 is because 2 or 3 were public knowledge, and well, the 3rd, iCloud, was pretty much also public knowledge (data center). All 3 are integrated, and I'm 99.999% sure (just like Amazons EC2 & S3 uptime ;)). So it only makes sense to talk about all of them because they are deeply integrated with one another. If they are not, I'll shave my head and gee-golly wiz, you can call me a monkey's uncle.

MacHiavelli
So iCloud.com essentially confirmed as Apple's.

What will the 'one more thing' be if all this is pre-announced?

porky
Woah! So no surprises this year! We already know what they will be doing! Well here is hoping that iOS 5 will come out soon and be awesome! And I hope iCloud will be good too, with no high monthly cost.

There will be ... one more thing! I'm sure! It has to!

Lone Deranger
May 31, 2011, 08:18 AM

WWDC has been selling out faster and faster the past few years. This year tickets were sold out in under 12 hours (http://www.macworld.com/article/158889/2011/03/wwdc_2011_sellout.html).

justgeig
May 31, 2011, 08:19 AM
Sure they told us everything they want us to know up front but you know that "One more thing...." is going to make an appearance

BJMRamage
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Of course he'd announce things. He loves the spotlight.

I'm sure there are plenty of other smaller things to announce here too like more computer models that are kept secret. Hoping for a new time capsule to better host iCloud.

Biolizard
That seems to confirm the postponement of this year's iPhone until the Autumn; with Lion, iOS 5 and iCloud to talk about, there's more than enough for a keynote.

NebulaClash
Apple still has plenty of opportunities to surprise us. We know all there is to know about iCloud, do we? No, Steve can pull some interesting rabbits out of that hat. We know every new feature in iOS 5? I'm betting we don't, but we soon will...

gnasher729
May 31, 2011, 08:20 AM

Considering that WWDC was sold out after about seven hours, I don't think they would have any problems filling seats if some developers don't turn up. And please note that WWDC stands for "World Wide Developers Conference". The "D" stands for "Developers" not for "Rumour whores". That's people making a living by writing software for MacOS X and iOS devices, not people desperately lapping up the latest rumours.

That seems to confirm the postponement of this year's iPhone until the Autumn; with Lion, iOS 5 and iCloud to talk about, there's more than enough for a keynote.

This is a Developers conference. iOS 5 is important for developers. iPhone 5 isn't.

Since you don't expect any surprises, any surprises will come totally surprising for you!

djrod
May 31, 2011, 08:22 AM

Thunderbolt Airs

darbus69
May 31, 2011, 08:23 AM

with sj the key he will announce one more thing, for sure. imo we all expect way too much out of apple, the stress of the biz of tech, something they have created themselves, must wear heavily.

LarryC
May 31, 2011, 08:24 AM
There are sure to be lots of rumors swirling around as to what that "one more thing" is going to be. I haven't a clue :( I just hope that it is something Mac related.

dernhelm
May 31, 2011, 08:25 AM

I hope not. For me, the "one more thing" is about played out.

WiiDSmoker
May 31, 2011, 08:25 AM
Clashes directly with Microsoft's E3 press conference.

http://i.imgur.com/OLcBv.jpg

New Mac Minis please!

dimi94941
May 31, 2011, 08:26 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Does anybody know if Apple will stream the event live on their website? Because they choose not to for iPad 2 event.

tigres
May 31, 2011, 08:26 AM
One thing they better do with this iCloud.

Blow MM out of the box, and tell everyone how bad iDisk was/is, and how much better than dropbox iCloud will be.

bigjnyc
May 31, 2011, 08:27 AM

Where is the Apple I have come to know and love? The one that keeps me guessing and feeding off rumors and supposed leaks until 10AM Pacific Time on announcement day?

I can't remember Apple ever telling you what was being introduced at an event in a press release.

That could mean that there will be a really good "one more thing" ;)

Andy-V
May 31, 2011, 08:28 AM
This is a Developers conference. iOS 5 is important for developers. iPhone 5 isn't.

Well that's not really true is it? I think developers found it pretty important to know the iPhone 4 was going to get a much higher resolution screen for example.

silentnite
May 31, 2011, 08:28 AM
This is going to be big. I'm wondering is it worth updating Snow Leopard anymore with Lion now on the horizon.

Lesser Evets
May 31, 2011, 08:30 AM
Great news: Steve Jobs alive and back on stage.

Mediocre news: Lion and iOS 5. Lion is doing nothing for me so far, but I see where they are coming from. $129 (assumed) for that OS is... not worth my while.

Sad news: iCloud. Still don't see this as a favorable service. Maybe it will make sense once uncovered, but it needs constant connection which we don't have yet. SOmeone needs to string wifi-cell coverage across the nation and world before cloud becomes something serious. Knobbletech.

bbeagle

Apple didn't tell you exactly what is being released. Lion was a given, iOS 5 was a given, just the iCloud is something new.

Apple hasn't told us all the things that iOS 5 actually is, or what new secret things they've put into Lion outside of the developer releases.

I bet you'll know a lot more about iOS 5, iCloud and OS X Lion by NOON EST next Monday than you know now.

scrm
Can someone explain to me what's the point of an Apple music streaming service? (Of course I could save space with it, but with storage prices falling constantly it's not a major issue.)

Streaming would only really be useable over WiFi (3G with my carrier performance and high prices? No thanks), in which case I could just do it locally at home. And if I'm away from my home network, I'd still rather have the content with me which would be more reliable.

I'm happy to be corrected, but I just don't get it :).

dscuber9000
May 31, 2011, 08:31 AM
Clashes directly with Microsoft's E3 press conference.

Image (http://i.imgur.com/OLcBv.jpg)

And Sony's. But to be fair, Apple has had the WWDC date set before Microsoft and Sony.

Regardless, that will be one hell of a day for us nerds. :D

Cougarcat
May 31, 2011, 08:31 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

Well, this is bizarre. I don't think Apple has ever pre-announced something in a press release before. They must be pretty confident iCloud and iOS 5 will impress.

OllyW
May 31, 2011, 08:33 AM
Can someone explain to me what's the point of an Apple music streaming service? (Of course I could save space with it, but with storage prices falling constantly it's not a major issue.)

Streaming would only really be useable over WiFi (3G with my carrier performance and high prices? No thanks), in which case I could just do it locally at home. And if I'm away from my home network, I'd still rather have the content with me which would be more reliable.

No, nor me.

I guess we'll have to wait a week and see what all the fuss is about. :)

zin
*serious nerdgasm*

OS X Lion, iOS 5 and a new cloud service. Monday is my last exam of the academic year, too. I never thought I'd enjoy a Monday, ever.

WiiDSmoker
I hope this iCloud business doesn't stop Apple from releasing bigger drives in the iOS line... 128 GB+ is most definitely needed.

bushido
May 31, 2011, 08:34 AM
i'm surprised they announced iCloud in their press release tbh its apple after all. but i'm afraid it will be US only for now, so useless to me

anyway, if they announce iOS5 with a release within the next few months, lets say september its a sure thing the iPhone 5 will be released around the same time.

i'm hoping for some unannounced Lion surprises

Merthyrboy
May 31, 2011, 08:34 AM
Glad they aren't putting the main focus on hardware in a developer conference but you never know that could be the one more thing and they've throw us off guard. iOS 5 should be awesome though I hope anyway. Hopefully this will be a good event.

GadgetAddict
May 31, 2011, 08:35 AM
So an all software event.. Good, it's been a while...

Ambrose Chapel
May 31, 2011, 08:36 AM

i'm with you on the streaming service, but i hope/expect iCloud to be more than that. hopefully it can serve as a data locker for all your iOS apps, sync across devices, etc...

NebulaClash
May 31, 2011, 08:36 AM

Steve will be happy to explain it to all of us next Monday. Until then, no one will know the answer to your question.

jclardy
May 31, 2011, 08:37 AM
I really hope they have a "One More Thing..." and it is an updated MBA.

But either way I can't wait for Lion or iOS 5.

As long as they release a developer beta of iOS 5 the day of I will be happy :D

leon44
May 31, 2011, 08:37 AM
There were always going to be journalists and people expecting a new iPhone.
I think this is just to make clear there wont be one, so they aren't seen to disappoint.
It's really putting the focus on the software.

Otherwise you'd get headlines like 'Apple shocks us with no new iPhone'
Rather than the more positive iCloud, iOS, OSX headlines.

May 31, 2011, 08:38 AM
Seems they announce everything I hoped for ... I really hope Lion will be available for download the same day.

Good to see that Jobs give the Keynote - but I don't know why everybody hopes this will mark his full return to Apple. I think he does a great job with with part time position and I would rather seem him taking care of his health while still involved into the strategic planing instead of rushing a come back and paying with degrading health.

gramirez2012
May 31, 2011, 08:39 AM
So is this going to include MobileMe, or is it an entirely different service? :confused:

hynke
May 31, 2011, 08:39 AM
I'm looking forward for the new 64bit iTunes :)

kalsta
May 31, 2011, 08:40 AM
Must resist the urge to get up at 3 am to watch this… I'm not an Apple fanboy… I'm not… I'm not…

Bathplug
May 31, 2011, 08:41 AM
interesting so which event is it that they unveil the new iphone?

Are there likely to be much more features in lion that we don't know about? because I've had my mac since feb and I don't really feel the need to update the os from what I've seen of lion so far.

Ambrose Chapel
May 31, 2011, 08:42 AM
interesting so which event is it that they unveil the new iphone?

probably the annual september ipod event.

May 31, 2011, 08:43 AM

I fail to see how that confirms anything .... First, it is not a hardware conference, Second, there is always the option for a 'one more thing'

I also assume based on (more or less baseless rumors) that there is a good change that it will be pushed to autumn, but thats fine

Thunderbolt Airs

Not a hardware conferences - it's all about software.

And my guess is that the Thunderbolt Air will be available this or next week (again, based on baseless rumors)

New Mac Minis please!

Did I mention before that this is a developers (read software) conference and no main focus on hardware (possible, but not to be expected)

Cougarcat
So is this going to include MobileMe, or is it an entirely different service? :confused:

I think it will replace MobileMe, but we'll find out on Monday.

Gemütlichkeit
More excited about Lion and the Air refresh than iCloud.

cmaier

Must be one hell of a "one more thing."

tigres
May 31, 2011, 08:44 AM
On another note with this iCloud thing.
Yesterday, I was uploading some photo's from my iPhone to my MM gallery (which I have not done in awhile), and I was shocked to see it took about <7sec per photo. I did about 25 in all, and it was the fastest I ever remember.

Anyone else notice some improvements on this?

nefan65
May 31, 2011, 08:45 AM
Looking forward to all three items. I hope folks don't hold their breath for an iPhone 5 announcement, because you'll be disappointed. I suspect they MIGHT say something about it, or an iPhone 4s. But that'll be nothing more than a teaser for something later in the fall IMHO...

jmcrutch
May 31, 2011, 08:45 AM
for those people who are wondering how they are going to use the cloud for music, or WHY they need to use the cloud (and I've been one of them), I think it adds up to this ...

it's not really for all of us who have 150GB of music already ripped/downloaded to multiple harddrives/locations ... it's for the pre-teens, teens, and tweens who are growing up with the expectation that all music will be available via the cloud/internet.

Just as prior technologies have made others obsolete within 10 years, so will streaming music. Yes, the other forms will be around (owning it yourself on your own machine), but the shift is taking place. The kids will adopt it 100%.

thetaylor13
May 31, 2011, 08:46 AM
Really really hoping something is mentioned in regards to :apple:TV and iOS 5.

But doubt it...

rashdown_online
May 31, 2011, 08:50 AM
Typical! I'm on holiday in France in the middle of no where with no means of communication other than a mobile phone (that's just a phone and not a PDA) with the wife a baby daughter! Can I survive!?

Well, yes. I'll enjoy: my daughters 1st birthday; my daughters 1st holiday; quality time with my family.

I'm sure that when I get back Lion will still be here, and I can be rest assured that I've had a great time "off-line" :)

Bon vacance tout la monde!

MrCubes
May 31, 2011, 08:50 AM

Yes, my first thought was that it was very unlike Apple to take away all the surprises.

But then again - we would have been expecting that. So they got us after all!

Glad to see they're still thinking differently ;-)

Cougarcat
May 31, 2011, 08:51 AM
Really really hoping something is mentioned in regards to :apple:TV and iOS 5.

But doubt it...

Well, if they are going to open it up to developers, WWDC would be the place to do it...

dernhelm
May 31, 2011, 08:51 AM

It'd be better if I could configure one system to serve iTunes content on my local network without having to run the client under a particular user. Yes I know there are some open-source kinda supported versions of this, but I want something that has all the features and won't break on every update.

NAG
May 31, 2011, 08:52 AM
Remember, as far as the Air update they often just update them without saying anything if it is a minor update. The only time they show off a Mac at an keynote is if it is a big change (which doesn't happen very often).

Biolizard
May 31, 2011, 08:53 AM
I fail to see how that confirms anything .... First, it is not a hardware conference, Second, there is always the option for a 'one more thing'

I think this is just to make clear there wont be one, so they aren't seen to disappoint.

The latter speaks truth.

Each WWDC has given us a new iPhone. This announcement is clearly designed to temper expectations about a new phone, which is the main user-facing result of recent WWDC keynotes and the thing that journalists focus on most. Stuff for developers doesn't generate headlines.

Also, Apple loves to make a massive thing out of the iPhone. It may be a software conference, but the iPhone will NEVER be relegated to 'one more thing...'. Ever.

Oh, and new MBP's were announced at the very start of WWDC 2009, so the notion that WWDC keynotes have always been about software only is laughable. Though they seem to be moving in that direction with this year's keynote.

KALLT
May 31, 2011, 08:54 AM
No iWork '11? :[

NebulaClash

And since Apple already made this clear months ago, yet the Web absolutely forgets everything quickly and went right back to "new hardware at WWDC", this is a chance to remind the journalists, hey dummies, we already told you this was going to be all about the software months ago. Didn't you listen?

Must resist the urge to get up at 3 am to watch this… I'm not an Apple fanboy… I'm not… I'm not…

Hey - just don't tell anyone .... Since I'm also no Apple fanboy, I didn't tell anyone that I got up at 3am to order the iPad2 :cool:

Let's just keep it between us, and nobody will notice ...

toddybody
May 31, 2011, 08:56 AM
Hey - just don't tell anyone .... Since I'm also no Apple fanboy, I didn't tell anyone that I got up at 3am to order the iPad2 :cool:

I can quit anytime...

:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

Full of Win
May 31, 2011, 08:56 AM
When was the last time Apple named specifics like this in a press release before his Holiness speaks to the flock?

kingtj
May 31, 2011, 08:57 AM
I suspect the cloud streaming feature is going to appeal more to the casual user than to the "hard core" user, though. Like the iPad, it's not a "flexible, powerful enough" solution for some people's needs, but it's gonna be a big hit with the general public/average user.

Don't forget:

1. Typical iTunes users haven't really bought THAT much music. They think they own "a lot" of music if they purchased 200-300 songs.
2. These days, they may own multiple portable devices that become kind of a pain to sync back to the computer with a cable all the time, to make sure all of them have the latest tracks from their collection stored on them.
3. More and more, people are using cellular data as a means to stream music to a car stereo while on the road. Their iPhone, linked via bluetooth to a car stereo, is the most common source for this music. Apple's allowing this streaming from the cloud might keep some of these people using iTunes purchases more often, instead of getting comfortable using a service like Pandora instead all the time.

No, nor me.

I guess we'll have to wait a week and see what all the fuss is about. :)

dilgit
May 31, 2011, 08:57 AM
Amazing!! Lion and iOS5 will be available for download right after their announcements on Monday, June 6.

NinjaHERO
May 31, 2011, 08:58 AM
The consensus of the rumor mill seems to be that we don't get an Iphone 5 here. If that is the case, I at least hope we get an accurate time frame from Apple.

macridah
I usually go to the WWDC buy my company couldn't send me this year because we got acquired or "under new management".

This would of been a great one to go to. Oh well, I'll just watch the live stream.

I wonder if you will only be able to upgrade/buy lion via the Mac AppStore?

Cougarcat
Amazing!! Lion and iOS5 will be available for download right after their announcements on Monday, June 6.

...for Developers.

No iWork '11? :[

It's possible, though I wouldn't hold your breath. It would make a nice app to demo new lion features, like resume.

The consensus of the rumor mill seems to be that we don't get an Iphone 5 here. If that is the case, I at least hope we get an accurate time frame from Apple.

Don't count on it. Apple never gives timeframes for future hardware.
When was the last time Apple named specifics like this in a press release before his Holiness speaks to the flock?

I don't think it's ever happened. They certainly have never introduced new product names before a keynote before.

dstankus
May 31, 2011, 09:01 AM

Ditto that; with bandwidth caps and the still spotty download speeds with AT&T in NY, I really don't see how this is an improvement. But Apple has surprised me many times before and maybe they will again....

BraveArts
May 31, 2011, 09:01 AM
You know what, I have a horrible feeling that the "One More Thing…" will be Steve announcing that he is standing down permanently. Nothing to back this up it's just a horrible feeling :-(

NAG
May 31, 2011, 09:02 AM

They give lots of specifics. The iPod events are usually pretty straightforward (they release new iPods and maybe an OS update) and the announcements usually say as much. The difference with this one is that they just pre-announced a new product (iCloud). That would be like if after the Gizmodo iPhone 4 leak they came out and put it in the keynote title. iCloud has been on a similar scale of leakiness (although we still aren't sure if this is just a music service or if it includes more of a MobileMe overhaul). I think the only thing that comes close is Times Canada leaking the G4 iMac but that was an accident.

RawBert
May 31, 2011, 09:03 AM
This is gonna be sweet! Hoping for One More Thing.:)

NebulaClash
May 31, 2011, 09:04 AM
You know what, I have a horrible feeling that the "One More Thing…" will be Steve announcing that he is standing down permanently. Nothing to back this up it's just a horrible feeling :-(

No. This is not the venue for such an announcement. Relax, it's just a horrible feeling within you.

shingi70
May 31, 2011, 09:05 AM
Ohhh wwcd and E.come in the same week. Hopefully they announce tmobile and sprint iphone.

roocka

Steve Jobs "let me show you Joe iCloud works on my new iPhone Nano"!

Lunarstone

Let's hope iCloud is not only in the US!

Can't wait for iOS5! A better Notification system is all I want!

They better have it in Singapore!

LegendKillerUK
May 31, 2011, 09:06 AM
Well that's not really true is it? I think developers found it pretty important to know the iPhone 4 was going to get a much higher resolution screen for example.

They only had two weeks since the iPhone 4 announcement to get that done for their apps. They had been playing with iOS 4 for a few months prior so your point falls down.

thefourthpope
May 31, 2011, 09:07 AM
2. These days, they may own multiple portable devices that become kind of a pain to sync back to the computer with a cable all the time, to make sure all of them have the latest tracks from their collection stored on them.

I want this to be the focus of the new iCloud: providing wireless syncing. I don't want my music hosted and streamed, for reasons others have listed. But keeping everything in sync wirelessly would be a wonderful step. It's really the only hole in Apple's current iOS/desktop syncing services, and a very notable hole at that.

NAG
May 31, 2011, 09:08 AM
This is gonna be sweet! Hoping for One More Thing.:)

Don't hold your breath. They almost never do "one more thing". It became a meme back when Apple went to Macworld expos and usually showed off the entire new product line there, leaving the best for last. I'd be very surprised if any hardware was talked about outside of an "oh we updated the Macbook Air" at the beginning so they can talk up Thunderbolt (but even that seems unlikely). That would pretty much leave 10.7 or iCloud availability dates as the "one more thing" but that would be kind of lame (I hate it when they make you wait for availability dates).

rikscha
May 31, 2011, 09:08 AM
I want a time capsule running some kind of itunes nas streaming server.

danemo
May 31, 2011, 09:09 AM
I am wondering if in addition to music, icloud may enable streaming live video content; i.e. replacing cable/satellite?

Thunderhawks
May 31, 2011, 09:09 AM

Yes, 3.7 inch ipad.

Wait, I think we have that already.

lukefinch
May 31, 2011, 09:10 AM
*serious nerdgasm*

OS X Lion, iOS 5 and a new cloud service. Monday is my last exam of the academic year, too. I never thought I'd enjoy a Monday, ever.

I'm in the same boat as you my friend, but my exam is in the afternoon so i'll probably have to miss the WWDC announcements and wait until after the exam.

At least that's an excuse for failing A level Physics though :D

hellomoto4
May 31, 2011, 09:10 AM
If Apple are announcing stuff before WWDC has even started, we're in for a freaking awesome keynote.

Going to be a gooooooood WWDC. One of the best, methinks.

nunes013
May 31, 2011, 09:11 AM
hopefully the iCloud is a new MobileMe overhaul. if it is lets see if third time is the charm after itools (MobileMe was more of an extension of .mac than a new service. iCloud will have new features). im hoping they get it right and it will be something to talk about. im really looking forward to iOS 5 as well. its going to be the longest week!!!:D

also. when i write icloud on safari, the browser underlines it red like its a misspelling but when i write iCloud it says its correct. thought that was a little funny as it hasn't been announced yet and they've incorporated the spelling into it already :)

EDIT: i didnt see in the press release that they say iCloud is their cloud offering. the word offering makes it sound like there will be some sort of charge

ciTiger
May 31, 2011, 09:13 AM
This is going to be big!
I really hope Steve is still here next year to give us the WWDC news again! :)

nasty devil
Can't wait..!

manyax111

the new iPhone ?

MrCubes
May 31, 2011, 09:14 AM
Regarding "what's the attraction of iCloud?".

Well - I don't know anything more than the average MacRumors reader about what Apple will be revealing next week. But I have my own thoughts on this matter.

First there seem to be two types of people: Those that are really excited about "The Cloud", as well as apps moving to the web. Then there are those who just see the whole thing as dragging us back to an early 90s user experience - just in more places!

I'm in the latter camp. I prefer to run and store everything locally as much as possible. For me the benefit of the web is in pushing, pulling and syncing content.

But the best cloud services combine both elements. Local storage/ caching for instant access + syncing to The Cloud for sharing, backup and versioning. Dropbox is a popular example. Livedrive is perhaps even better (I should probably mention that I worked at Livedrive for a while).

One of the nice things that Livedrive does (Dropbox probably does too) is it hashes your local files and if the hash already exists on its servers it doesn't need to transfer the file. Of course the file has to be an exact match for this to work.

Apple can take all this further. For iTunes purchased content it already knows what you have.
Infrastructure is already there for streaming media directly to the software that can handle it. We already have the ability to look for content online and choose whether we want to stream it or download it.

iCloud will presumably streamline the whole process, and bring the on-demand streaming features to audio (currently only video). Hopefully it will also replace the awful and dated iDisk feature with a more Dropbox/ Livedrive style file sync capability - perhaps versioned with a Time Machine front-end.

They've had all the parts - some better executed than others - for some time. Bringing them together under one banner - fixing the crap bits - and polishing the already good bits - could add up to a sum that rides at the crest of a revolution.

For those that will protest with "but I've been doing that for years" at the mention of this being a revolution should re-read what I just wrote. It's not about whether feature X or technology Y has already been around. Where Apple excels (when they do excel) is in a full end-to-end, seamless, experience that anyone can use. I believe that is what they will be aiming for with iCloud.

There are some things that really need to be fixed - or replaced - for this to work, IMHO:

1. MobileMe. It's better than it was - but still not great (and still has iDisk) - and has a branding problem.
2. iTunes. It's notoriously bloated. The Mac App Store is a delight in comparison and shows how a bit of re-engineering can go a long way. Ideally it would split into more focused apps - which would presumably be a just front-end for OS integrated services.

So much for my predictions.

Clown Boy
May 31, 2011, 09:14 AM
Serious Fail coming up. Prepare to be disappointed.

Apple only innovates every 2 years, so nothing new to see here except some bells and whistles on already creaking operating systems.

iCloud will be US only and likely to go the same way that Ping did.

Wouldn't surprise me if there were actually a few walkouts mid-talk due to the lameness of the content being presented.

"ONE MORE THING, the iPhone 5 is coming... Holiday season 2012" - Fanboiz cream themselves. LMFAO!!!

Thunderhawks
May 31, 2011, 09:15 AM
They better have it in Singapore!

To have icloud in Singapore done right is on the top of our lists.

Steve Ballmer

lukefinch
May 31, 2011, 09:16 AM
the new iPhone ?

Just what i thought. I don't see there being a WWDC without an iPhone.

Even if it is not available straight away, i think they'll still show it and make a joke about how well kept this secret was this time round.

Totalkharnage
May 31, 2011, 09:16 AM
Now that I've calmed down after the initial hype, I agree with others that Apple is trying to manage expectations with the release of this info aswell as building up hype with medi outlets etc.
iCloud should hopefully be deeply integrated with both Lion and iOS5 which will take the bulk of the Keynot to probably run through.
Scratching my head as to what the 'One more thing' could be. Macbook Air doesn't seem likely - Apps and streaming to Apple TV too? Makes sense with it being an iOS device.

bushido
May 31, 2011, 09:17 AM
whats with all the "one more thing ..." talk in here, he hasnt done it in YEARS

also, i hope they improved iTunes a little, its the only app i'd actually have use for in fullscreen mode and those ugly bulky scrollbars need to go, they dont go well with the rest of lion at all

NAG
May 31, 2011, 09:17 AM
If Apple are announcing stuff before WWDC has even started, we're in for a freaking awesome keynote.

Going to be a gooooooood WWDC. One of the best, methinks.

More likely that it is a friendly way to point out that the next iPhone won't be shown. People expect new iPhones this time of year because it happened four years in a row. And since everything points to new iPhone around September it is best to adjust expectations so people come away with more than "no iPhone".

DotComName
May 31, 2011, 09:18 AM
They never do stuff like this.. I guess they chose to tell us what they were announcing this time around as an indirect way of saying, "don't expect a new iPhone this time."

tCruzin4lyfe
May 31, 2011, 09:19 AM
I just hope iOS 5 will be released soon after the WWDC, mainly for my iPad 2. I'm not too worried about another iPhone, I love my 4 also. So iOS 5 would be great. Can't wait til Monday.

vartanarsen
May 31, 2011, 09:20 AM
How much do you guys think Lion will be?

I have a SL-powered, 2010 MBP. Will I be able to get Lion as a "doscounted upgrade"
How has this been in the past, for older mac users?

Also, syched that we will get a new iOS without having to buy a new phone, just love my iP4

Reason077
It surely cannot be the real Steve presenting next Monday. I suspect Apple have been putting all that cloud computing power to use and created a faster, stronger, better, artificial CEO.

bushido
I just hope iOS 5 will be released soon after the WWDC, mainly for my iPad 2. I'm not too worried about another iPhone, I love my 4 also. So iOS 5 would be great. Can't wait til Monday.

doubtful, itll be devs only for quiet a while and released just in time for the new iPhone a few months later. thats how they always did it

Northgrove
May 31, 2011, 09:21 AM
I can't help but wonder about Steve Jobs' health. I hope he's getting better again!

Since they're announcing these technologies in tandem, I think iOS 5 and some cloud service / synchronization / storage feature is a given. Maybe even as a forthcoming secret feature in OS X Lion. Perhaps we'll finally see the MobileMe successor demoed.

jamesarm97
May 31, 2011, 09:21 AM
Ok, my MobileMe (Family pack $$$) is set to renew on 6/3. I will actually be leaving on a cruise that day for a week. Should I turn off auto renew and hope something changes with the subscription plan? How long can I go without renewing before I can't receive emails or loose the find my phone feature? I won't be back until 6/11.

Thanks

edit: MobileMe help states: If you renew within 15 days of the subscription expiration date, you can still access all your MobileMe information (such as published gallery albums or files stored on your iDisk). After 15 days, your MobileMe information is no longer available.

I'm just not sure I can trust that. The account settings under mobile me state that idisk and email accounts will be removed on 6/3 if they are not renewed.

Northgrove
May 31, 2011, 09:23 AM
They never do stuff like this.. I guess they chose to tell us what they were announcing this time around as an indirect way of saying, "don't expect a new iPhone this time."

Yes, could be. But I always use to be more excited about the software than the phone hardware anyway. A smartphone is all about software to me. iOS makes the iPhone. At least once you have the essential extras, like GPS and a decent camera.

tCruzin4lyfe
May 31, 2011, 09:24 AM
it'll me more than likely be beta and for devs only for quiet a while and released just in time for the new iPhone a few months later. thats how they always did it

I figured as much also, was just trying to convince myself anything is possible lol. But atleast we will see what it's all about Monday.

kalsta
May 31, 2011, 09:26 AM

Deal. :cool:

mccldwll
May 31, 2011, 09:28 AM

Apple only innovates every 2 years, so nothing new to see here except some bells and whistles on already creaking operating systems.

Wouldn't surprise me if there were actually a few walkouts mid-talk due to the lameness of the content being presented.

"ONE MORE THING, the iPhone 5 is coming... Holiday season 2012" - Fanboiz cream themselves. LMFAO!!!

You never fail to live up to your name clown boy.

OllyW
I'm in the same boat as you my friend, but my exam is in the afternoon so i'll probably have to miss the WWDC announcements and wait until after the exam.

It starts at 6:00pm UK time so you should be finished on time.

brucebrendon
Sure they told us everything they want us to know up front but you know that "One more thing...." is going to make an appearance

how about iColumbo – detects and kill Leopard's runaway 'ATSserver' and 'Quicklook Helper' processes?

Tastic Bycrom
May 31, 2011, 09:30 AM

Ha! Nice. I'm actually hoping they at least work toward breaking iTunes out into logical separate apps. Syncing, a store, and a player do not need to all be in the same app, even if they all affect the same media library.

tuhoops
May 31, 2011, 09:31 AM
It sold out. I think they're more concerned about drumming up media coverage—it's easy for the media to talk about a new device (a single point of focus)—but new software (as good as it is) is decidedly less appealing to viewers/visitors.

The developer conference sold out. Certainly, Apple does not charge the press to attend a press conference...

CupertinoRat
May 31, 2011, 09:32 AM
ios 5 on yesteryear's hardware? No thanks.

bushido
May 31, 2011, 09:34 AM
ios 5 on yesteryear's hardware? No thanks.

why not, its not like the 4 is as slow as the 3G ... the 4th has more ram and better specs than my moms computer which runs windows xp xD

xUKHCx
May 31, 2011, 09:34 AM

I believe it will be at 18.00 here in the UK with the timezone difference. So you can probably do the exam and watch the keynote.

Popeye206
May 31, 2011, 09:35 AM

LOL! I think you're confused over one of Steve Balmers keynotes!

As for the "One more thing".... I'm guessing we'll see something unexpected out of iOS5 that will change the game once again. With the iPhone not getting a refresh until fall, iOS5 has to rock the world with the current hardware and Apple has been very closed lip about iOS5 and what's coming.

cwwilson
May 31, 2011, 09:35 AM
I think the iPhone 4 could definitely go another year if iOS 5 brings some nice improvements. I would love to see widgets and a pull down menu for notifications like Android. The phone itself still runs very smooth and still has untapped potential so if nothing new for 2011 is revealed than so be it, maybe the 2012 iPhone will be a substantial upgrade.

Can't wait for Lion and iOS 5!

aramosc
May 31, 2011, 09:36 AM
Looking forward to it! glad to hear Steve it back!

CupertinoRat
May 31, 2011, 09:36 AM
why not, its not like the 4 is as slow as the 3G ... the 4th has more ram and better specs than my moms computer which runs windows xp xD

Because everything flies on my iPad 2 in comparison to the iPhone 4. The difference is very obvious.

lukefinch
May 31, 2011, 09:39 AM
It starts at 6:00pm UK time so you should be finished on time.

I believe it will be at 18.00 here in the UK with the timezone difference. So you can probably do the exam and watch the keynote.

I cannot believe I forgot about the time difference. That's pretty bad for someone doing A level physics to be a pilot :rolleyes:

Chundles
May 31, 2011, 09:39 AM
Good move by Apple.

Cut down all the iPhone 5 rumours early and avoid the dramatic share price drop that would've gone along with a non-annoucement of a rumoured new iPhone.

Now people know exactly what to expect it's up to Apple to exceed our expectations around these new products and services.

I for one, can't wait. Love getting new software.

DJHack
May 31, 2011, 09:40 AM

Does anyone know/think whether there will be a live video stream of the Keynote available?

Or will I have to wait until the following day to download on iTunes? :rolleyes:

If it's a keynote including 'cloud' then perhaps good opportunity to demonstrate cloud streaming :p

hellomoto4
May 31, 2011, 09:41 AM
3am Australian time (AEST)
Looks like I'll be up early on the last day of my school term ;)

bushido
May 31, 2011, 09:42 AM
Because everything flies on my iPad 2 in comparison to the iPhone 4. The difference is very obvious.

well the difference might be obvs if u actually got an iPad 2 but i lived just fine with the 4 speed for a year now. i judge the iphone by the device itself, otherwise i'd be jealous over all those dual core samsung phones already

crypticlineage
May 31, 2011, 09:43 AM
I have NOT read the entire thread. But does this mean that 10.7 Lion will come out soon, or is it going to be just another preview of work in progress?

I am getting a new mbp for my wife and would like to buy it in the window where I can get a the mac with Snow Leopard, but can get a free disc of Lion.

Also, wasn't the free ipod touch deal supposed to start today? I don't see it yet.

MCIowaRulz
May 31, 2011, 09:44 AM
Ha! Nice. I'm actually hoping they at least work toward breaking iTunes out into logical separate apps. Syncing, a store, and a player do not need to all be in the same app, even if they all affect the same media library.

I hope they have a "Repair feature" to avoid that dreaded "Where the heck are your music files"? There in the music folder you piece of crap. and the ability to back up to Hard Drives with 80 GB of music I can't back up to DVD's it is wastful.

akira2501
May 31, 2011, 09:44 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It is odd for apple to announce what is going on, I mean what no more "one more thing". I there is it must be really big. Maybe it's all available same day or icloud goes live at the address via a big apple button that lights up once he presses it :p

utwarreng
May 31, 2011, 09:45 AM
I hope this iCloud business doesn't stop Apple from releasing bigger drives in the iOS line... 128 GB+ is most definitely needed.

I'm with you, except I think 64GB would be sufficient for most people. I could see the next iPhone coming in 16, 32, & 64GB variations.

fishmoose
My gut tells me this will be one hell of a keynote, looking forward to it. iOS 5 will probably be quite revolutionary.

zin

A-Level Physics for me, too. 9AM Monday morning, sharp. At least you'll have something to look forward to when you're trying to work out the kinetic energy of a moving object. :D

EDIT: Never mind I just caught on with the time difference...

Cougarcat
May 31, 2011, 09:46 AM
How much do you guys think Lion will be?

I have a SL-powered, 2010 MBP. Will I be able to get Lion as a "doscounted upgrade"
How has this been in the past, for older mac users?

There is no discounted upgrade, just one version. It'll likely be more than Snow Leopard's $29 but less than the full $129 it's been in the past. $79 maybe?

FroMann
May 31, 2011, 09:47 AM
Kind of ruined the surprise, didn't it?

andiwm2003
May 31, 2011, 09:48 AM
There is no discounted upgrade, just one version. It'll likely be more than Snow Leopard's $29 but less than the full $129 it's been in the past. $79 maybe?

why would it be less than $129?

I can imagine they want broad adoption to push the app store but that you have through SL anyway.

Jeremyjt
May 31, 2011, 09:49 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm pumped. Finally decent iPhone notifications!! (I hope)

Cougarcat
May 31, 2011, 09:50 AM
why would it be less than $129?

Because their software prices have been dropping, and the mac dev program, which costs $99, gets you a free copy.

J-Kid
May 31, 2011, 09:52 AM
All I want from ios 5 is something that slightly resembles sbssettings and lockinfo and maybe better notifications.

macography.net
May 31, 2011, 09:54 AM
This is going to be big. I'm wondering is it worth updating Snow Leopard anymore with Lion now on the horizon.

I think so. 10.6.8 is supposed to contain changes to the App Store to be able to download Lion and upgrade from Snow Leopard.

LegendKillerUK
May 31, 2011, 09:54 AM

I agree, that dual core is doing an (obviously) great job with iOS.

Kaibelf
May 31, 2011, 09:55 AM
I know I'm not alone here, but it's always worth saying. Aside from the product releases, gadgets, services, etc., it's ALWAYS nice to see that Steve Jobs is still doing okay, and every time that I still can see him feeling up to speaking at these events, it makes me smile. It really makes me feel lucky for my own health. Good for him, and I hope he ends up okay for as long as possible, with as little discomfort as possible. :apple: :) :apple:

brucebrendon
May 31, 2011, 10:00 AM
i'd like to be able to use iOS device with secondary/main screen switch mode + much more AirPlay innovation, something to bring devices together, user screen switching and sharing to "family". i realise there are a few bits and bobs about to fangle these, but should be native.

RoelJuun
May 31, 2011, 10:01 AM
I cannot believe I forgot about the time difference. That's pretty bad for someone doing A level physics to be a pilot :rolleyes:

Yeah we know you're becoming a pilot and doing A level physics. For other people it would be just normal to forget about these time differences.

It would be nice to see some updated Mac Mini, MacBook and MacBook Air in one time. Happening of the year for sure ;)

ProwlingTiger
May 31, 2011, 10:05 AM
This is highly unusual: Apple announcing a major product/service before Steve-o can work his magic at WWDC. Kinda takes a bit of the surprise and fun out of watching the keynote.

fattire357
May 31, 2011, 10:06 AM
Because their software prices have been dropping, and the mac dev program, which costs $99, gets you a free copy.

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that the free copy was only for developer preview testing. The $99 isn't paying for OSX Lion, either, it's paying to be a Mac developer. So I'm not sure that Apple feels obliged to give out the stable version to developers for free when Lion gets released.

I'd go so far as to say that developers will have to buy at full price when it comes out. So if you payed $99 developer registration just to see Lion and not to actually be a developer, you'd have to pay again.

dcbjones
May 31, 2011, 10:07 AM
Been looking forward to a good cloud offering from Apple for a while now.

benadd
May 31, 2011, 10:07 AM
Steve Jobs eh?, the man who only had six weeks to live in February :rolleyes:

It's cos HE'S INVINCIBLE!!!

gkpm
May 31, 2011, 10:10 AM
Maybe I'm wrong but I thought that the free copy was only for developer preview testing. The $99 isn't paying for OSX Lion, either, it's paying to be a Mac developer. So I'm not sure that Apple feels obliged to give out the stable version to developers for free when Lion gets released..

Apple does gives out the stable version to devs, so the $99 covers it.

Therefore it makes no sense to sell OS X for more than that.

The $79 is probably right, maybe even less.

Moyank24
May 31, 2011, 10:11 AM
Kind of ruined the surprise, didn't it?

There will always be one more thing...

applefan289
May 31, 2011, 10:11 AM
Here is a link to the press release (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/05/31wwdc.html).

Seems like it will be big. :)

How do you find these links on the Apple site?

DJinTX
May 31, 2011, 10:12 AM

Apple announcing these things in advance leads me to believe there is something even bigger and better below the surface.

brucebrendon
May 31, 2011, 10:12 AM
iTunes with FLAC

iBooks for Mac

deeper gestures

entatlrg
May 31, 2011, 10:13 AM
One more thing .... new Sandy Bridge MacBook Air's :eek:

gkpm
May 31, 2011, 10:13 AM

Hey they're competing with E3 for attention, they might as well drop two more things :-)

New iPhone and Macbook Air?

Thunderhawks
May 31, 2011, 10:14 AM

Plus, if you download vs. delivery via DVD in a retail box etc. that should save too.

skellener
May 31, 2011, 10:14 AM
There is no discounted upgrade, just one version. It'll likely be more than Snow Leopard's $29 but less than the full $129 it's been in the past. $79 maybe?I was thinking the same thing. But then again, Apple has been moving all of it's software to cheaper prices (Aperture $80, FCPX $299) and we now have the Mac App Store. So I'm betting Lion will be $29 thru The Mac App Store and a bit more - like $49 - for a DVD. Maybe a $79 DVD Family pack. Something like that. I think the days of the $129 OS are over.

RonHC
May 31, 2011, 10:15 AM
I hope they can stream the event like last time

NCBandit
So, with iCloud announced in the press release, what will the one more thing be? iPhone 4S/5? Seems unlikely that a hardware refresh on the Air's would be worthy of that honored spot, but the "mostly kept under wraps" new 4S might be a top candidate.

Had a thought about the iCloud service last night while using my Apple TV. All of the content you can browse from iTunes on Apple TV is only stuff you can rent - this excludes a massive amount of content that is available for purchase.

It would be great to integrate the iCloud with Apple TV, and allow you to purchase content from iTunes and store it in the Cloud. This would expose a lot more content to Apple TV users, and remove the need to download on the Mac and then stream from Home Sharing. I think the iCloud / Apple TV integration has a lot of cool possibilities. :cool:

dashiel

Think of it as a large scale test. While storage prices are falling, SSD prices aren’t falling fast enough or gaining capacity fast enough. The future of Apple devices, and thus the future of all computing is going to be super-fast, low power consumption, small SSD/Flash memory devices to cache your most frequently and most recently accessed “stuff” but the majority of your “stuff” will exist in the cloud. Music/Movie will be a great and non-critical stress test – if the cloud goes down it’s annoying, but not going to affect anyones ability to get work done.

Lion is laying the groundwork; the rumor mill surrounding a new file system is percolating again.

Don’t be surprised if Lion is the last major release of OS X, at least under that nomenclature. Considering Apple’s penchant for simplicity and consolidation it’s entirely possible they might opt for the iOS brand to encompass their entire product line, especially if we start to see A* processors in devices like the MacBook Air.

richard.mac
wow this will be big. cant wait! even if there are no hardware releases, will still be good to see the new OS and service offerings :)

why does Apple have to give away what they will release! i don't wont to find out until the event :D maybe a one more thing..

bushido

there hasnt been a one more thing in years

Performa
May 31, 2011, 10:16 AM

That jumped out at me immediately. I couldn't believe when I scanned the posts here that only one person mentioned that they noticed this announcement of the planned topics of discussion in advance...in the press release. I can't remember that ever happening before either. I guess it's probably because they aren't releasing a new top secret hardware device? Or maybe everyone pretty much knew already what the topics would be?

JGowan
May 31, 2011, 10:16 AM
I'm excited for new software, but so much of the time Apple's next OS for anything is just incremental features and slight tweaks. And generally those features are things that should've been in the release (or two) before... case in point...

We got folders in 4 (black squares with uber tiny icons showing) to help organize our hundreds of apps. How was it that it took until the 4th version to get a way to do this? And it was highly touted as a big deal. I have more Apple logos in my house than anyone in a 100 mile radius of me, but to me I want some big changes to what we have on the phone. The competition is getting pretty fierce and I've seen some really neat stuff. I'd like Apple to come and lay them all to waste.

Hobbes.
May 31, 2011, 10:19 AM
I still wouldn't be shocked to hear about a new phone...it's less likely but it wouldn't exactly surprise me. Steve is giving the keynote and we all know he likes to be a show stopper.

I think last years leak of the WHOLE f'n phone has changed the game for apple and for all of us rumor readers. The lack of serious leaks this year makes me even more suspicious that it's real and could be announced as early as next week.

guzhogi
May 31, 2011, 10:21 AM

Reminded me of these:

1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKO0RrM7LvI)

2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9x9P2h-1NU)

gkpm
We got folders in 4 (black squares with uber tiny icons showing) to help organize our hundreds of apps. How was it that it took until the 4th version to get a way to do this?

Well considering apps only showed up in the 2nd version is that too bad?

While iOS has had the same appearance, there's been big changes and improvements behind the scenes.

But iOS 5 seems set to be the biggest of them yet.

definitive

Does not make sense to introduce the fifth iOS without introducing the fifth iPhone.

DCJ001
May 31, 2011, 10:22 AM
How do you find these links on the Apple site?

You could save this link:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/

and check it periodically/daily/hourly, etc.

AFPoster
May 31, 2011, 10:23 AM
So stoked about Lion and iCloud. Can't wait for all of this!

kmccown
May 31, 2011, 10:24 AM

Where have you been? FaceTime was a "one more thing" last year!

PoorImpulseCtrl
May 31, 2011, 10:25 AM
I haven't seen much love for a potential capacity increase. Come on, 64 gigs! (Paid for by the Lossless Audio Fanboy Commission)

odedia
May 31, 2011, 10:27 AM

Does not make sense to introduce the fifth iOS without introducing the fifth iPhone.

They did exactly that with iOS 4 and iOS 3. I don't think we'll see an iPhone 5 at WWDC.

sergey19
Apple said that they will talk about iOS4 in the invitation to the presentation last year (im talking about the one that took place in the spring- april i believe). But i have to say that if :apple: announce what they will talk about (especially iCloud) it must be something REALLY GOOD.

I mean them saying that they will talk about Lion and iOS5 now makes sense but them announcing that Steve Jobs will be there and iCloud means that they are very confident in what they have and it is something that will be very good.

Fingers crossed...

skellener
Maybe a new iWork to go along with Lion and iOS 5 that works across both platforms and syncs with iCloud?

ssk2
Can I just ask why people are getting SO excited about iOS5 when we have no details about it yet?

sergey19
May 31, 2011, 10:28 AM
Maybe a new iWork to go along with Lion and iOS 5 that works across both platforms and syncs with iCloud?

that would be very cool and it does make a lot of sense...
iWork hasn't been updated in a really long time.

AppleScruff1
May 31, 2011, 10:30 AM

Unfortunately, he's not.

sergey19
Can I just ask why people are getting SO excited about iOS5 when we have no details about it yet?

because it will be a big improvement over iOS4 (otherwise they would have called it iOS4.x).

NAG
That jumped out at me immediately. I couldn't believe when I scanned the posts here that only one person mentioned that they noticed this announcement of the planned topics of discussion in advance...in the press release. I can't remember that ever happening before either. I guess it's probably because they aren't releasing a new top secret hardware device? Or maybe everyone pretty much knew already what the topics would be?

The thing is "we" have known pretty much what Apple has going to announce for most keynotes. ("We" as in people who don't insist on things like the iPad 2 having a retina display or "one more thing" announcements despite such things being the exception rather than the rule.) So basically, if you keep your expectations to the reasonable rumors you'll probably be right.

You are right that this is probably the first time in recent history where Apple pre-announced a new product. iCloud was pretty obvious as being a new product. Still, we don't know exactly what it will, such as will it just be an iTunes cloud service or is it also going to include some MobileMe changes (since you can't seem to actually buy MobileMe anymore)?

Optimus Frag

If that's what their prepared to tell us before hand, what's Steve got up his sleeve for his one more thing. I think we can consider 6th June being lions release date via the Mac App store.

NAG
May 31, 2011, 10:32 AM

Or maybe a version of iWork.com that doesn't suck (bet you forgot about iwork.com).

netsped
May 31, 2011, 10:33 AM
I just hope this iCloud thing, which apparently will be replacing MobileMe, doesn't change the @me.com part.

I live in a country where english is not the first language, I really would hate to have to spell my email to everyone... @-i-c-l-o-u-d-.-com, it just doesn't work :eek:

Apart from that, I think we will see some new things in Lion. Something that wasn't included in the Dev previews. I would bet for a "now on MAS" or "available June 30th", I don't think they would announce it now and wait until Aug-Sept.

iOS 5 will be a game changer, again... I don't know why, but I have this feeling :rolleyes: And maybe a July release.

Also, I think iCloud will be a major part of iOS 5.

ssk2
May 31, 2011, 10:33 AM
because it will be a big improvement over iOS4 (otherwise they would have called it iOS4.x).

That's awful logic. Just because a new version of software is released, it doesn't make it 'better' than the last, just because it's labelled differently (Skype being a case in point...).

NAG
May 31, 2011, 10:34 AM

Which kind of proves that "one more thing" announcements things like new iPhones. Apple can easily talk about iOS 5, 10.7 and iCloud for three times as long as they have for the keynote. They aren't going to have enough time for the anything other than a "Oh and one more thing...shipping today" or something similar.

Drag'nGT
May 31, 2011, 10:35 AM
Man my wish list is long! :D
I sure hope that iCloud includes a free Mobile Me feature set. Just the basics because we are lacking in that stupidly simple area. I could care less about my giant iTunes library being available anywhere. I need my phone and computer to get on the same page without my interaction with them.

sal74
May 31, 2011, 10:36 AM
After the preview on Monday...i highly doubt that IOS 5 will be available for public release....watch out for IOS 5 Beta 1 for developers...that's about it...

Eorlas
May 31, 2011, 10:37 AM
So what will be the "one more thing"?

BlindMellon
Man, like lambs to the slaughter. The thought of all the idiots paying higher data charges to stream stuff they already own amuses me no end. Good luck getting (or holding on to) unlimited data plans now and in the future.

kmccown
Which kind of proves that "one more thing" announcements things like new iPhones. Apple can easily talk about iOS 5, 10.7 and iCloud for three times as long as they have for the keynote. They aren't going to have enough time for the anything other than a "Oh and one more thing...shipping today" or something similar.

Last time I checked the 2nd generation Apple TV was a "one more thing".

RodThePlod

I just hope iOS 5 runs feature-complete on my first gen iPad!

It'll be such a bummer if there are features that aren't supported on the first gen hardware (apart from the obvious camera-related stuff etc.)

Looking forward to the keynote :D

RTP.

Cougarcat
May 31, 2011, 10:38 AM

Indeed, and the Air in October (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdxrAZH9J5o).

*LTD*
May 31, 2011, 10:39 AM

It's gonna be a hit.

Who knows, there might be some surprises in store. ;)

sergey19
May 31, 2011, 10:39 AM
That's awful logic. Just because a new version of software is released, it doesn't make it 'better' than the last, just because it's labelled differently (Skype being a case in point...).

That may be true (the whole Skype thing). However, a new version means new features. Plus when was the last time that :apple: updated one of their operating systems (including adding new features) and it wasn't an improvement over the last?

Plus if they decided to announce this later than they usually do they must have been trying to finish something big for this (usually they make iOS announcements in April or so).

Also, I just have a feeling...

bushido
May 31, 2011, 10:43 AM

i predict its going down like this ...

1st they talk about iOS
2nd they introduce Loin and talk about how it got some elements taken from iOS
and then oh wait, there's iCloud built right into Lion and the new iOS5 beta which is avb for devs TODAY and public release later this year (together with the new iPhone, which they wont say yet)

Cougarcat
May 31, 2011, 10:46 AM
Plus when was the last time that :apple: updated one of their operating systems (including adding new features) and it wasn't an improvement over the last?

If you take the OS as a whole, you are correct. But that's not to say that everything is an improvement. Spotlight UI changes in Leopard, Exposé changes in SL, and Mission Control and the removal of Rosetta in Lion were all steps back according to some people here.

RMo
May 31, 2011, 10:46 AM
What does it mean that they will "unveil" Lion and iOS 5? For the latter, I'm guessing it means they'll show off some betas or at least some plans, but could it mean for Lion that it's released--or is it more of the same?

Maagus
May 31, 2011, 10:48 AM
Man, like lambs to the slaughter. The thought of all the idiots paying higher data charges to stream stuff they already own amuses me no end. Good luck getting (or holding on to) unlimited data plans now and in the future.

You know that you won't be forced to stream it, right?...

Manderby
May 31, 2011, 10:48 AM
I guess, they will not reveal much more than we already know from the Sneak Peak from Lion then.

:(

LinksAwakener
May 31, 2011, 10:49 AM
Why are people referring to next year's iPhone (post-iPhone 4S) as iPhone 5? The previously released iPhones are as follows:

iPhone 1
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4

Wouldn't that imply that the iPhone AFTER 4S would be 6?? :confused:

abhimat.gautam
May 31, 2011, 10:51 AM

Perhaps an improved MacBook Air?

Krevnik
May 31, 2011, 10:51 AM

It isn't so much about streaming the whole library, IMO. If they do it right I should be able to sync a subset of my library, and stream the rest. The real point of a cloud service for mobile devices hits a couple different goals:

- Sync configuration between devices OTA. MobileMe does this today for Macs, and syncs bookmarks to devices as well.
- Provides central data storage and syncing for documents between devices to ensure that no matter which device/machine I sit in front of, I have document X that I want to edit.

How does music tie into this? Media is a bit different, although not very different from the central data storage goal. What a cloud service should enable in terms of music is being able to use cheaper devices with a bit less storage more effectively. Out of my 20GB+ library, I mainly play 4-6GB of it more regularly than the rest. But if I want to listen to anything outside of the regular stuff, then I need to make sure the whole thing is synced onto my device. If I could keep the regular stuff on my device, and then access via streaming the rest, I could literally go with a cheaper iPhone than I do today. As could some other people. Lower up-front cost for me, Apple makes up the lost revenue in services.

It is actually smart, if they implemented it right.

kmccown
May 31, 2011, 10:52 AM
Why are people referring to next year's iPhone (post-iPhone 4S) as iPhone 5? The previously released iPhones are as follows:

iPhone 1
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4

Yeah, I don't understand why they are saying it either...Looks like Apple might call it the iPhone 4G (6th generation model) or something like that.

sergey19
May 31, 2011, 10:52 AM
If you take the OS as a whole, you are correct. But that's not to say that everything is an improvement. Spotlight UI changes in Leopard, Exposé changes in SL, and Mission Control and the removal of Rosetta in Lion were all steps back according to some people here.

You are correct that according to some people it was a step backwards. However, I believe that on average most people would agree that a new OS (from apple) is an improvement over the last.

JGowan
May 31, 2011, 10:53 AM
Being that there's so much news about possible hardware (phone) announced, it's obvious that Apple just wants to make it clear that this is a software event. I believe Schiller has said so much not that long ago. I can understand though, why people are chomping at the bit for a new iPhone... June is the standard month for new hardware and people want the new one. Duh.

That said...

Three benefits jump to mind for an all-software keynote:

1) It's WWDC so it needs to focus on what developers do, write software.
2) Helps push iPhone to a later date in September to help a lackluster iPod announcement.
3) Mainly, keeps the focus on the new iCloud service, Lion and iOS 5. If a phone was announced, that's all that the press would talk about. They would mention the software stuff, but it would not be a very big part of the story. Hardware always undermines software announcements.

I know I sounded a little negative earlier, but I am excited for this keynote.

Although, truth be told, I want my new iPhone! I'm still carrying around a 1st generation iPhone and to say it's long in the tooth is putting it mildly. It is soooo slow compared to new iPhones. But I refuse to upgrade to something new when AT&T would charge my data plan $10 more for service it does not offer in my podunk world. It would $20 extra for my wife and I for the same EDGE service. I am switching to Verizon when the next iteration comes out of Cupertino!

Juan007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

This is great news, you can bet there will be "one more thing" secretly Announced here. Can't wait!!!

cadillac1234

IIRC the 2nd generation AppleTV was a 'one more thing'

ghostface147
May 31, 2011, 10:54 AM

iPhone 1
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4

I think it would be called iPhone LTE. That makes sense to me, but just me.

NAG
May 31, 2011, 10:58 AM
IIRC the 2nd generation AppleTV was a 'one more thing'

Again, proving the point that nothing important will be a one more thing. The iPhone hardware will not get a revamp at WWDC. Yes, we might see something out of left field at the very end but I doubt it will be anything beyond something along the lines of 10.7 on the Mac App Store by the end of the week.

Thunderhawks
May 31, 2011, 10:58 AM

iPhone 1
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4

May be this will clear it up?

iphone 4WC as in Who Cares?

It will be a good device, all that should matter.

Cougarcat
May 31, 2011, 11:04 AM
What does it mean that they will "unveil" Lion and iOS 5? For the latter, I'm guessing it means they'll show off some betas or at least some plans, but could it mean for Lion that it's released--or is it more of the same?

It means they will reveal the complete feature set for both, and probably the release date and price for Lion.

Patriot24
May 31, 2011, 11:05 AM

Not to be a jerk or anything, but...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Special_Events#.22And_one_more_thing....22

Moving on.

camperdown9
May 31, 2011, 11:06 AM
Hi

Just a question.

If MobileMe becomes part of iCloud what, "if anything" will happen to @me email addresses?

Did all @mac addresses change to @me?

Alex

cleareyes
May 31, 2011, 11:08 AM
My prediction for what Steve will say: "There is one more thing, and it's the iPhone 5... and it's available starting... today"

kmccown
May 31, 2011, 11:09 AM
Again, proving the point that nothing important will be a one more thing. The iPhone hardware will not get a revamp at WWDC. Yes, we might see something out of left field at the very end but I doubt it will be anything beyond something along the lines of 10.7 on the Mac App Store by the end of the week.

May be this will clear it up?

iphone 4WC as in Who Cares?

It will be a good device, all that should matter.

“We're in a giant car heading towards a brick wall and everyones arguing over where they're going to sit.” -David Suzuki

Doesn't matter what you guys say because WWDC will still be great! :D

cleareyes
May 31, 2011, 11:09 AM
Hi

Just a question.

If MobileMe becomes part of iCloud what, "if anything" will happen to @me email addresses?

Alex

No, I can use @me or @mac, both work.

ntux
May 31, 2011, 11:10 AM
MAC OS 10.7 - Shipping today
IOS 5 - beta 1 available to devs today, shipping september (with new iphone, but not presented here)
iCloud, available today, integrated with Lion, and with new IOS 4.4 available shortly

One More Thing :
AppleTV 3rd Gen, with A5, handles 1080p. App store with IOS 4.4, but not available today, as devs would need the time to prepare apps for launch (apple would not launch an appletv with app store without apps)

LinksAwakener
May 31, 2011, 11:10 AM
Hi

Just a question.

Alex

IF it changes to @icloud.com (which is a rather large assumption) then they'd do the same thing with @me as they did with @mac: your login would change but anybody sending it to the old @me address would forward to your email automatically.

chrmjenkins
May 31, 2011, 11:12 AM
Odd behavior indeed. Only thing I can imagine is that they put this stuff in with the fact that Jobs is announcing so the fact that he shows up at WWDC doesn't dominate the news cycle. However, they could have just said he will be there without announcing specifics of what will be talked about, so I really don't know what their angle is here.

May 31, 2011, 11:14 AM
Hi

Just a question.

Alex

I still use my @mac address, but I can also use the same username with @me (they all end up in the same inbox, so it does not matter which one is used) ... so I guess soon I will have three apple addresses: @mac, @me, @iCloud :-)

Dragonlance1561
May 31, 2011, 11:19 AM

Quote from Press release: "Apple, the Apple logo, Mac, Mac OS, Macintosh, iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch are trademarks of Apple. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners."

Notice they didn't claim the "App Store" trademark.... That's interesting.

Eye4Desyn
May 31, 2011, 11:22 AM
Aww yeahhhh!!!!! :D

d0minick
I was really hoping for a Napster/Rhapsody time of deal with iCloud. I wonder why no one is speculating this?

Really pumped to see what ios5 is doing. I am a upgrade my phone once a year time a person so I'd like to see a breathe of fresh air hit the I4. :D

As for Lion, no feature has really caught the eye for me. I'll upgrade eventually, but if nothing strikes me as refreshing, I'll just wait for my bonus in Q4 to get it.

asfoorh
So, what do you guys think, will there be a live cast to follow the keynote? :cool:

Cougarcat
May 31, 2011, 11:23 AM
MAC OS 10.7 - Shipping today
IOS 5 - beta 1 available to devs today, shipping september (with new iphone, but not presented here)
iCloud, available today, integrated with Lion, and with new IOS 4.4 available shortly

10.7 can't ship the same day because developers need access to the GM first. (I suppose it's possible that the latest preview is secretly the GM, but that's unlikely as it doesn't have iCloud integration and it's still quite buggy.

I have a feeling Apple won't bother with iOS 4.4 and iCloud will be a Lion/iOS 5 feature (Except for the music service, which will be a part of iTunes, obviously). But we'll see.

One More Thing :
AppleTV 3rd Gen, with A5, handles 1080p. App store with IOS 4.4, but not available today, as devs would need the time to prepare apps for launch (apple would not launch an appletv with app store without apps)

A new AppleTV would be a nice surprise, but I doubt it. I think they could announce iOS with Apps without announcing new hardware, which would would make more sense at the September event anyway. Besides, Apple's pretty much confirmed that there will be no hardware.

However, they could have just said he will be there without announcing specifics of what will be talked about, so I really don't know what their angle is here.

Their angle is, "don't expect new hardware."

WissMAN
May 31, 2011, 11:23 AM

I agree. I wonder why the change. Along with some of the other comments it might be due to it being a software focused event. Even so, delivering two OS's is nothing to balk at.

OllyW
May 31, 2011, 11:26 AM
My prediction for what Steve will say: "There is one more thing, and it's the iPhone 5... and it's available starting... today"

No way, it doesn't give enough time for the hype to build up.

I just hope iOS 5 runs feature-complete on my first gen iPad!

It'll be such a bummer if there are features that aren't supported on the first gen hardware (apart from the obvious camera-related stuff etc.)

Looking forward to the keynote :D

RTP.

Not sure if I'm willing to take that risk ... based on previous experience with the iPhone, major updates might run slow on older hardware. I will put it for sure on my iPad2, but I guess I leave the iPad1 as is and wait for reviews if it feels fast enough for the first generation iPad.

oliversl
Wow, look like a new PR style from Apple!

Great news that SJobs will be on the keynote. Also, if they already disclosed Lion, iOS 5 and iCloud, what will the surprise be? Looking forward!!!

May 31, 2011, 11:28 AM

It will be: "beta version available to developers" today ... no way they make a major update available right away without the developers having a chance to adjust their software and do the beta testing for Apple.

NAG
May 31, 2011, 11:29 AM
“We're in a giant car heading towards a brick wall and everyones arguing over where they're going to sit.” -David Suzuki

Doesn't matter what you guys say because WWDC will still be great! :D

I never said WWDC will be bad. I'm only pointing out that there probably won't be any hardware announcements because there are a lot of people who will be extremely disappointed if there isn't one (not me, I want to see iOS 5 and iCloud and a release date for 10.7). I think there will be plenty new stuff without hardware.

DJinTX
May 31, 2011, 11:30 AM

iPhone 1
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4

Some here believe the the next iPhone will be a small update and therefore be called iPhone 4s, while others believe that it will be called iPhone 5 regardless of the size or scale of enhancements. Only Apple knows the next name. But yes you are correct, if we get a 4s this summer, then the next phone (2012) most definitely will not be called iPhone 5. Apple would look like idiots if they called the 6th iPhone the iPhone 5.

phpmaven
May 31, 2011, 11:31 AM
Don't hold your breath. They almost never do "one more thing". It became a meme back when Apple went to Macworld expos and usually showed off the entire new product line there, leaving the best for last. I'd be very surprised if any hardware was talked about outside of an "oh we updated the Macbook Air" at the beginning so they can talk up Thunderbolt (but even that seems unlikely). That would pretty much leave 10.7 or iCloud availability dates as the "one more thing" but that would be kind of lame (I hate it when they make you wait for availability dates).

Say what? They just about always do "one more thing". It's been a feature of just about every keynote for the last several years. You can bet there will be yet another one this year.

Some of the products which were revealed as "But there's one more thing...":
The AirPort base station and AirPort card after the iBook was introduced in Macworld Expo 1999
The PowerBook G4
The PowerMac G5 at WWDC 2003.
The fifth generation iPod with video, announced at a press conference self-referentially titled "One more thing..."
The MacBook Pro (at Macworld Expo 2006).
The iPod Shuffle
Introduction of selling movies via the iTunes Store in September 2006; a second "One more thing" in the same presentation also unveiled an upcoming product dubbed iTV (renamed to Apple TV at Macworld 2007). A third "One More Thing" was the lead-in to introduce a live performance of the song "Waiting for the World to Change" by John Mayer at the conclusion of the presentation.
Introduction of Safari for Windows beta
The iPod touch
The MacBook Air
The wireless version of the iTunes Store on the iPod touch and iPhone
The new MacBook was introduced in October 2008 after the new MacBook Pro was introduced.
Though Steve Jobs did not present his Macworld 2009 keynote, Phil Schiller introduced the DRM free iTunes Music Store as a "one last thing".
The announcement of a video camera and speaker in the fifth generation iPod Nano at the Apple Music Event in September 2009
FaceTime video calling for the iPhone 4 at WWDC 2010
A revised Apple TV
A revised MacBook Air in October 2010

lukefinch
May 31, 2011, 11:32 AM

I predict this will happen too, but available in a few weeks. I really think that they will have a top secret mind blowing iPhone 5 ready for us. Or maybe i'm just too optimistic.

So, what do you guys think, will there be a live cast to follow the keynote? :cool:

With a large part of the announcement about streaming media through iCloud, i would have thought that the keynote would be streamed again, hopefully:rolleyes:

juicedropsdeuce
May 31, 2011, 11:32 AM
This WWDC is going to be EPIC! Two brand new OS's and the iCloud. That is going to be one hell of a keynote.

For what is likely Steve Jobs last WWDC, looks like he doesn't want to disappoint.

HMFIC03
May 31, 2011, 11:33 AM
Glad Steven is going to be there. Makes the stockholders happy that he is still running things