PDA

View Full Version : Apple Launches iWork for iPhone and iPod Touch

MacRumors
May 31, 2011, 11:18 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/31/apple-launches-iwork-for-iphone-and-ipod-touch/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/pages_universal.jpg

Apple today announced (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/05/31iwork.html) that its iWork suite of applications for the iPad has been updated to include universal binaries now capable of running on the smaller screen of the iPhone and iPod touch."Now you can use Keynote, Pages and Numbers on iPhone and iPod touch to create amazing presentations, documents and spreadsheets right in the palm of your hand," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "The incredible Retina display, revolutionary Multi-Touch interface and our powerful software make it easy to create, edit, organize and share all of your documents from iPhone 4 or iPod touch."The three iWork applications for iOS are available individually and are priced at $9.99 apiece.

Article Link: Apple Launches iWork for iPhone and iPod Touch (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/31/apple-launches-iwork-for-iphone-and-ipod-touch/)

alust2013
May 31, 2011, 11:20 AM
Sweet! Now I can do all my papers and lab reports on a 3.5" touchscreen :rolleyes:

dustinsc
May 31, 2011, 11:21 AM
Sweet! Now I can do all my papers and lab reports on a 3.5" touchscreen :rolleyes:

Beat me to it. Dang.

Full of Win
Thank you, Apple. Wish this was around 6 months ago, but I'll take it nevertheless.

alectheking
Wow, now that was out of left field!

macaddiict
May 31, 2011, 11:22 AM
Edit: Not showing up for my Verizon iPhone 4 w/ 4.3.2

-Ryan-
If I didn't already own the iPad version this wouldn't offer good value for money, but as an update to the existing version, it's more than welcome.

darbus69
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

itsa killer!

HE15MAN
I dont see why anyone would use this honestly..

alectheking
May 31, 2011, 11:23 AM
Hmm..seems to tie in nicely with iCloud.

citi
May 31, 2011, 11:23 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_7 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8E303)

I'm happy about this. 1: it's another option in the arsenal. 2: since I purchased the iPad version, I don't have to buy it again!

rorschach
May 31, 2011, 11:24 AM
This is probably good for minor editing or quick last-minute adjustments.

+1 for universal binary and not having to buy them again.

coder12
May 31, 2011, 11:24 AM
Sweet! This will be really nice for modifying keynotes on the go. Does it work with iWork.com? (no pun intended)

Eye4Desyn
May 31, 2011, 11:25 AM
Hotness!! The feeds are alive and well today.

ChazUK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-gb; Nexus S Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I'll stick with Google Docs myself (tightarse :)).

Good to see it is a universal app, could be useful for some people without their iPads.

NAG
Now they just need to make syncing documents not a complete pain in the rear. (I suspect this is an iOS 5 feature...if not I'll really wonder what Apple is up to.)

ldellx3
okay what i dont understand is why they update it but they dont actually make an iwork 2011

afd
May 31, 2011, 11:28 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Now I can stop using Documents to Go, never liked it on iPhone, was ok on a palm though.

*LTD*
May 31, 2011, 11:28 AM
Sweet.

Would have been nice 6 months ago, but now it's here.

I already have it for iPad and it's excellent. At least I can share the same docs via MobileMe iDisk form device to device now. Most of my projects on the go are on iDisk.

Mlrollin91
May 31, 2011, 11:29 AM
Added folders to Pages! Awesome!

mikechan1234
May 31, 2011, 11:30 AM
Apple are firing on all cylinders! hope next week doesn't disappoint

orangebluedevil
I can't seem to find it in Search, Featured, or Hot.

I've actually been waiting for this. It'll be perfect for entering my workouts while at the gym. I can set up the spreadsheet beforehand and then just type in the #'s as I go.

Reason077
This is great, but what we really want is iWork for the iPod nano. And XCode for my iPhone.

Stuipdboy1000
iWork '11 to follow closely? I hope so.

ldellx3
May 31, 2011, 11:31 AM

this is what im hoping for

Friscohoya
May 31, 2011, 11:32 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

They were really nervous that nobody would come without the iPhone introduction. This is the first time that I can remember that such a big apple event actually had an advance agenda.

xlost6
May 31, 2011, 11:32 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

So is this in the iPhone App Store or how do I download these?

PraisiX-windows
May 31, 2011, 11:33 AM

Me too, I would love it to get announced at WWDC, but we'll see.

boodyup
May 31, 2011, 11:33 AM
I'm wondering if this was released just b4 they announce Dragon integration in iOS5. If so,might cause this to have way more utility than what we think.

Reason077
May 31, 2011, 11:34 AM
Me too, I would love it to get announced at WWDC, but we'll see.

Probably not as WWDC is a developer conference, while iWork is a consumer product.

Mad Mac Maniac
May 31, 2011, 11:35 AM

My exact thoughts, with WWDC 6 days away.

iWork will have instant iCloud sync across all platforms

Small White Car
This is great news. I suspect anyone who doesn't get it is someone who is too young to have had a real job yet. Being asked to "change 2 numbers and re-send it" is something that can totally happen to you while sitting in an airport where the wifi costs $12. I'd love the ability to do that from my phone without having to get a laptop or iPad onto wifi.

That being said, Apple has no good method of syncing documents the way Google does. They need to get on that if they want this to be actually useful. I'm hopeful that iCloud will do more than just stream music...

mogzieee
....clearly not on the UK App Store then? Can't seem to find it :confused:

ldellx3
May 31, 2011, 11:36 AM
do you guys think that lion iwll be available for use after wwdc?

jpg
May 31, 2011, 11:36 AM
Sweet! This will be really nice for modifying keynotes on the go. Does it work with iWork.com? (no pun intended)

Hope so too!

And macrumors, can you please create a Spoiler-Free Thread, just in case there is no live stream this year?

I was really unhappy last time, when there was no live-stream and no spoiler-free thread :(

toddybody
May 31, 2011, 11:37 AM
Well, I feel embarrassed...I thought they were already iPhone/iPod Touch compatible:o

ppnkg
May 31, 2011, 11:37 AM
nonsense! where are the desktop version updates?

Small White Car
May 31, 2011, 11:38 AM

It takes time. I'm in the U.S. and it's not showing up for me yet either.

ct2k7

Download it again using iTunes. That's how I got it :)

iSimx

currently it's under iPad apps, but if you download it, it is universal and works on iPhone as well.

TallGuy1970
May 31, 2011, 11:39 AM
This is what I was waiting for!!!!! :D

I don't create the Pages documents on my phone, but there have been many times when it would have been nice to be able to edit them on my phone, and then print them out (which I do via Printopia).

Thanks Apple! :apple:

Beaverfish
this is what im hoping for

me 3 !

Small White Car
And macrumors, can you please create a Spoiler-Free Thread, just in case there is no live stream this year?

What's that?

And now Steve is talking about xxxxxxx. It's very xxxx and much xxxxx more than the last version. It's going to cost $x,xxx and will be available on xxxxx xxnd.

lars666
May 31, 2011, 11:40 AM
Is it only me or did Apple disable landscape mode in the iPhone version? Would too less writing space be left?? Landscape keyboard on the small iPhone would be even more important than on the iPad, in my opinion ...

djrobsd
May 31, 2011, 11:40 AM
EPIC fail.. seriously, we need this on a 3.5 inch touch screen? No thanks, it's painful enough watching netflix on my iphone, let alone trying to do any serious document editing.

spacemanspifff
May 31, 2011, 11:41 AM

I'm guessing that it will take a while for them to show up in all the stores worldwide. I can't see these updates in the UK store yet either.

Still at least we know they are coming...

nutmac
This is a welcomed upgrade, especially for long overdue folder management. But I am curious whether this means Apple will be extending the life of current iWork iOS suite for another year or will require new $9.99 purchase for eventual iWork 2.0 upgrades.

toddybody
Probably not as WWDC is a developer conference, while iWork is a consumer product.

...and they've never introduced consumer products there?

steadysignal
May 31, 2011, 11:42 AM

hope it all works out for you...

Consultant
May 31, 2011, 11:44 AM
Now needs syncing of documents between devices. Or would email do?

MrCubes
May 31, 2011, 11:44 AM
No mention of Airplay support. That's a pretty big omission - especially for KeyNote. Hope it comes in a update shortly.

Will be pretty cool when we can give presentations from an iPhone without it having to control a Mac. It would need an Apple TV, of course - but still - much more portable.

Schtumple
May 31, 2011, 11:45 AM
£6 for squintable word processing? Yeah...sure... :rolleyes:

LouiTheFish
May 31, 2011, 11:46 AM
This is not yet available in the app store. Checked on my iPhone and via iTunes.

roadbloc
I do not see the point of this. As someone who writes for one of their incomes, I could never use this. The screen is just too small.

RaceJohnson
has anyone been able to find the iWork suite of apps on the iPhone yet? Im searching and nothing pops up. I would like to try it before I make any judgements.

Cougarcat
May 31, 2011, 11:48 AM
Heh, I like Gruber's comment: "Guess the keynote is full."

Is it just me or does this make an iWork '11 announcement in the near future less likely? Wouldn't it make more sense to release them all at once?

(Not to mention, the reason we haven't seen iWork '11 is that they've been working on...this.)

I do not see the point of this. As someone who writes for one of their incomes, I could never use this. The screen is just too small.

For heavy duty use, sure. But if I need to make a quick edit or two, now I can. Think of it as a Pages and Keynote viewer with the capabilities for the occasional editing.

iSimx
May 31, 2011, 11:49 AM
I'm impressed by the application. I've never used it on iPad before but looking at the iPhone version you can do so much on such a small device. Great interface also.

jpg
May 31, 2011, 11:50 AM
What's that?

And now Steve is talking about xxxxxxx. It's very xxxx and much xxxxx more than the last version. It's going to cost $x,xxx and will be available on xxxxx xxnd.

No this is a place, far far away from the rest of the internet where nobody has heard about the things that were said during the Keynote until the official video feed comes available.

If you watch the keynote and know everything that will be announced it is like watching a movie and reading the synopsis first. It spoils the fun.

mogzieee
I bet Steve/Phil/whoever is gunna be fancy and run the WWDC keynote of their iPhone....

el-John-o
As others have said, I wouldn't have bought it for that purpose, but it would be useful for last minute changes to a document. Actually, I will use Numbers probably on my iPhone more than my iPad, for expense reports. Now THAT'S handy, I can fill out my expenses on my spreadsheet (instead of bumbling with useless apps, not one have I found to be of any use whatsoever), that'll be nice! Unfortunately, I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume no dropbox support. So I'll have to go back a couple generations in handheld computer technology and sync it to my desktop to make final edits and print. Oh well, still convenient.

TallGuy1970
May 31, 2011, 11:52 AM
Now needs syncing of documents between devices. Or would email do?

Dropbox!

I have it on all my devices and machines!

BLACKFRIDAY
May 31, 2011, 11:53 AM
I can't believe this.

Something tells me that the WWDC is going to be big.

SockRolid
May 31, 2011, 11:54 AM
I've been waiting for Pages on iPhone. Don't really need Numbers or Keynote...

toddybody
May 31, 2011, 11:54 AM
Id buy Pages for my iPad in a second...if the price were more amicable. When Apple has incredible apps like Garage Band (iOS) for 4.99...you expect me to pay 9.99 for ONE piece of the iOS iWork Suite? Seems a tad overvalued.

(and please dont lecture me about the correspondingly higher price of desktop office suites...(iWork, MS Office) this is an iPad app for heavens sake...application value is totally different)

iSee
May 31, 2011, 11:55 AM
New document manager to easily sort your documents and organize them into folders.

Wow, this is an incredible invention by Apple! Amazingly useful!!! How do they come up with this stuff?!?! I wonder what they will call it???

I was thinking, "a file system," but I have this vague feeling that name
s been used before.

I can imagine amazing extensions for this (years in the future, I know, for cutting edge stuff like this):
* Shared among apps
* A common browser of some kind that can be used to open documents, either from within the app or -- and I know this is crazy -- the browser could automatically know which app to open a document with.
* Integrated with Finder/Explorer when the i device is connected to the computer, options for integrating with cloud storage like iDisk when connected.

budfoot
May 31, 2011, 11:56 AM
This is awesome.... can I easily manage other files with this document manager?

jpg
This is not yet available in the app store. Checked on my iPhone and via iTunes.

It is. You can only download the universal app via the iPad section of the iTunes App Store (if you know what I mean). It is an universal app so it installs on your iPhone.
They just haven't updated the categorization yet.

afd
confused about all the negative comments about this. Do I want to edit office documents on my iPhone? - no, do I want the ability to, if I ever need to? - Absolutely. I was very pleased to see this, doubly so because i have it already on my iPad. Just wish I could find it on my phone...

Morrius
Is there a way to use an iTouch to remotely control an iPad that is giving a presentation with Keynote? The iPad is up at the front of the room, and hooked up to the projector. Meanwhile, I'm in the back with my iTouch, going forward and back through the slides. Is this possible?

Prof.
May 31, 2011, 11:57 AM
I will definitely be using this when I get my iPhone in January. Pages for iPhone would be a great way to do some last minute editing during my breaks between classes before I have to email it to the professor. :)

jclardy
May 31, 2011, 11:57 AM
okay what i dont understand is why they update it but they dont actually make an iwork 2011

Maybe it will be announced or released during next weeks keynote as that would be a bigger update then adding universal support to these apps...

I can't say I will use these often, but I already own them on my iPad so they are nice to have on my iPhone as well. And if the iCloud works well then they might actually be a bit more useful.

Lesser Evets
May 31, 2011, 11:58 AM
With a resolution better than the old iBooks of 1999, iPhones with iWork make some sense. Pair with a keyboard and you are going...

However, it seems like a guaranteed pain in the ass with such a small screen.

iWork '11? I'd expect it, but the last version is excellent in most all ways. I wonder what geegaws and doodads will be added to make it worth purchase.

thatfilmlover
If I already have pages for iPad do I get the iPhone version for free? Or is it a rebuy? Apologies if this was obvious

justinfreid

The iOS and OS X apps might soon be upgraded to better integrate with iWork.com/iCloud. I can imagine Steve's explanation that customers want really rich local apps and cloud storage and editing not just one or the other.

toddybody
May 31, 2011, 11:59 AM
it seems like a guaranteed pain in the ass with such a small screen.

Bingo. Its bad enough on the iPad...much less on 3.5"

jpg
May 31, 2011, 12:00 PM
If I already have pages for iPad do I get the iPhone version for free? Or is it a rebuy? Apologies if this was obvious

It's free. The new app is universal.

toddybody
May 31, 2011, 12:00 PM

Good question friend. I think its gonna be an iPhone/iPad app. So the "update" should allow you to use it on both.

PS: @ jpg Thanks for the info dude

LSK6453
May 31, 2011, 12:01 PM
still no dropbox support :(

jon1987
May 31, 2011, 12:01 PM
Organise documents into folders aye? I wander if this is a hint that there will be some kind of basic filing system in iOS5. I'm probably just talking out of my bum :p

Cougarcat
May 31, 2011, 12:02 PM

Bummer. I bet it'll have "iCloud" support, though.

MagnusVonMagnum
May 31, 2011, 12:02 PM
So now "Universal Binary" means iOS (or is ARM?) instead of PPC? :rolleyes:

How is that "Universal" then? Bilateral, yes. Universal? No. WTG Apple. I've also seen the term used recently to indicate that it works across all "Intel" versions of OSX. A term that is not used consistently has no real meaning.

I suppose Apple is getting ready to use the term again since they will be moving over to ARM for part of their product line soon and it will be Intel that will get dropped the next time. :D

Reason077
May 31, 2011, 12:03 PM
Is there any truth to the rumor that Apple are also working on porting iWork to the nano? I know this sounds weird, but I'm still finding the iPhone screen a bit too big for getting real work done.

Phil A.
May 31, 2011, 12:03 PM

There's always dropdav (http://www.dropdav.com). The only issue with that is they've done away with free accounts for users of free dropbox accounts: It doesn't affect me as I have a paid dropbox account...

jayducharme
May 31, 2011, 12:04 PM
This is great! My iPhone 4 screen is clear enough; I don't think its small size will be a problem. I've wanted a simple word processor for it, beyond what Notes' really limited functionality can do. I think I'll get Keynote too. If it can output through the iPhone's video out, it could be a really good presentation tool.

Reason077
May 31, 2011, 12:05 PM

How is that "Universal" then? Bilateral, yes. Universal? No. WTG Apple. I've also seen the term used recently to indicate that it works across all "Intel" versions of OSX. A term that is not used consistently has no real meaning.

Err, in the iOS context, Universal Binary means that the same binary works on iPhone/iPod touch and iPad.

I suppose Apple is getting ready to use the term again since they will be moving over to ARM for part of their product line soon and it will be Intel that will get dropped the next time. :D

I suspect it's more likely that UIKit will be ported to OS X, and you will be able to make a universal binary that runs on both iOS (ARM) and OS X (Intel).

toddybody
May 31, 2011, 12:05 PM
Is there any truth to the rumor that Apple are also working on porting iWork to the nano? I know this sounds weird, but I'm still finding the iPhone screen a bit too big for getting real work done.

Sorry, but I have to admit to laughing on that one. Nice one mate;)

Marresc
May 31, 2011, 12:06 PM
Pages doesn't work in widescreen/landscape mode, not even with the Apple Wireless Keyboard. Disappointing!

DotComName
May 31, 2011, 12:06 PM
Sweet!!

coleridge78
May 31, 2011, 12:07 PM
Pretty funny that so many people think this is useless on such a small screen. Even for more heavy-duty writing tasks, this is great news if you pair it with a bluetooth keyboard. I'd much rather carry a little bluetooth keyboard in my bag for the train or plane than a laptop, and pair it to the phone. "Serious" writers somehow spent many years using word processors with screens that were far inferior to the iPhone's.

For anyone who doesn't want to carry a GD laptop everywhere they go, this is excellent news.

Mad Mac Maniac
May 31, 2011, 12:08 PM

free

Lone Deranger
May 31, 2011, 12:09 PM
Sweet.

Would have been nice 6 months ago, but now it's here.

Thank you, Apple. Wish this was around 6 months ago, but I'll take it nevertheless.

Do my eyes deceive me? LTD and Full of Win, the Mac Rumors polar opposites think alike? :eek:

notjustjay
May 31, 2011, 12:11 PM
The iOS and OS X apps might soon be upgraded to better integrate with iWork.com/iCloud. I can imagine Steve's explanation that customers want really rich local apps and cloud storage and editing not just one or the other.

I foresee a day in the near future when you'll be able to create pretty much any kind of document on pretty much any of your devices -- your desktop Mac, your laptop Mac, your iPod, your iPad -- and have it instantly accessible -- and editable -- from all the other ones.

Right now you can do this through a mishmash of solutions. For example, DropBox lets you access all your files but not edit them from your mobile device. You need another third party app to edit. Apple's starting to bring in support for editing (e.g. GarageBand) but synchronizing isn't universal. There are also sometimes sync issues -- edit a document with your mobile device and you lose some of the advanced formatting when you later re-open it with the desktop app.

The cloud solution may well be the first to wrap all of this together. You create your GarageBand, iMovie, iWork documents in one place, edit and display them in any other.

toddybody
May 31, 2011, 12:12 PM
Do my eyes deceive me? LTD and Full of Win, the Mac Rumors polar opposites think alike? :eek:

http://www.besttherank.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/end-of-the-world.jpg

The End is Nigh

Don't panic
May 31, 2011, 12:12 PM
do they open word/excel/powerpoint docs?

Small White Car
May 31, 2011, 12:13 PM

Ok, what would YOU call an app that runs on 2 different devices? Since "universal" is so offensive to you I'm guessing you have a better word. Please share.

tkermit
May 31, 2011, 12:15 PM

http://cl.ly/1r470w443z2G372H3v0H/lold.jpg

Jknash2007
May 31, 2011, 12:16 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Do you have to buy it again for your iPhone if you have already bought for iPad?

tkermit
May 31, 2011, 12:19 PM
No.

PraisiX-windows
May 31, 2011, 12:20 PM
...and they've never introduced consumer products there?

iMovie for iPhone.

Macsterguy
May 31, 2011, 12:21 PM
"Just One More Thing" - announced at WWDC... A new screen sized "something" to run iWork on???

saving107
May 31, 2011, 12:21 PM

It's there, its just hiding.

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/679/img0429.png

afd
May 31, 2011, 12:22 PM
the links from macrumors to appshopper take you to the apps on the app store if you still can't find them on your iphone

kuebby

Very unfortunate, maybe we'll see integration with iCloud next week though...

Can't say that I care about using Pages on my iPhone though, the screen just might be a bit small.

Dagless
This is quite tempting. I had a spare BT keyboard since I bought a new iMac a couple of weeks ago, tied it to my iPod and it works great. I've been looking for a good word processor since then. Might snatch this up!

I can't imagine it being that great. As long as its better than Notes then I'm happy!

dbeaver520
WHAT THE HELL? This is the most ridiculous idea ever. Why would anyone want to sit and squint their eyes for a good length of time to work on documents, presentations, and/or whatnot on a freaking iPhone or iPod? Apple... are you becoming desperate or what? Yeah, for another ten bucks a pop for each program... RIDICULOUS. :rolleyes: Anyway, I'm loving my new iPad 2, so I'm going to go play now :D

gkarris
May 31, 2011, 12:26 PM
iPod Nano versions, please... :eek:

:D

saving107
May 31, 2011, 12:26 PM
WHAT THE HELL? This is the most ridiculous idea ever. Why would anyone want to sit and squint their eyes for a good length of time to work on documents, presentations, and/or whatnot on a freaking iPhone or iPod? Apple... are you becoming desperate or what? Yeah, for another ten bucks a pop for each program... RIDICULOUS. :rolleyes: Anyway, I'm loving my new iPad 2, so I'm going to go play now :D

its not necessarily for creating entire work documents, but rather quick edits or to jot down ideas.

abhimat.gautam
May 31, 2011, 12:29 PM
Why would anyone want to sit and squint their eyes for a good length of time to work on documents, presentations, and/or whatnot on a freaking iPhone or iPod?

When you suddenly realize that you made a mistake on one of your documents due in next few minutes, and you donít have your Mac or iPad nearby.

dbeaver520
May 31, 2011, 12:30 PM
its not necessarily for creating entire work documents, but rather quick edits or to jot down ideas.

Sure, pay 10 bucks for ANOTHER app to download onto the iPhone and edit one word out of a document. Edit a period to a question mark on the keynote presentation. Just WHO would be in need of these apps on the iPhone/iPod frequently enough to do editing as much as they would on a regular computer or iPad? :confused:

chrono1081
May 31, 2011, 12:30 PM

Actually the app is really quite useable. Try it. (Although I am not keep on the fact typing in landscape isn't supported.).

This is a smart phone and people do use phones for such things. While its not ideal it is still a way to get the job done.

+1

Kettil
May 31, 2011, 12:32 PM

It seems that the confusion here is due to MacRumors' use of the term. I think Apple always uses the term 'universal app' when referring to iOS apps.

Cougarcat
May 31, 2011, 12:37 PM
Sure, pay 10 bucks for ANOTHER app to download onto the iPhone and edit one word out of a document. Edit a period to a question mark on the keynote presentation. Just WHO would be in need of these apps on the iPhone/iPod frequently enough to do editing as much as they would on a regular computer or iPad? :confused:

It's universal, you don't have to buy it again if you have the iPad version.

gforce216
May 31, 2011, 12:37 PM
Is there a way to use an iTouch to remotely control an iPad that is giving a presentation with Keynote? The iPad is up at the front of the room, and hooked up to the projector. Meanwhile, I'm in the back with my iTouch, going forward and back through the slides. Is this possible?

That's what the new keynote update does now. I just used the keynote remote app on my iPhone to control my iPad. Ridiculously fast.

abhimat.gautam
May 31, 2011, 12:38 PM
iPod Nano versions, please... :eek:

:D

Haha, couldnít help but think of something like this! :D

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=287513&stc=1&d=1306863409

TWSS37
May 31, 2011, 12:38 PM
So how are these apps, at $9.99 each with no cloud support, better than Google docs which is free (includes document, spreadsheet and presentation apps) and includes cloud support?

Scrumper
May 31, 2011, 12:39 PM
I might have considered this for my iPod Touch some time ago, had it been out then but now I have QuickOffice, the latest version of which is excellent. Presentation, Spreadsheet and Text Document creating and editing with easy sync to Mac and all for £2.99!

I'd go for iWork for iOS if I had an iPad, though...but I don't.

Popeye206
May 31, 2011, 12:42 PM
They must have a ton to talk about next week to start getting the little things like this out of the way.

Nice!

LarryC
May 31, 2011, 12:43 PM
My apologies if this has already been mentioned. I hope that Apple introduces an updated version of iWork. Something like iWork 2011. They have an updated iLife Suite, they need to do the same with the iWork Suite.

rdlink
May 31, 2011, 12:44 PM
Sorry, but I have to admit to laughing on that one. Nice one mate;)

Yeah, mildly amusing the first 6 or 7 times/iterations of postings in the same vein.

Yes. We get it. iPhone screen is small. Computer monitor is big. If one wants to edit/create documents all day long, big is better than small.

But perhaps, just maybe some people might have a use for this app that others don't. What a concept. :eek:

oneschance
May 31, 2011, 12:46 PM
I can't seem to find it in Search, Featured, or Hot.

I've actually been waiting for this. It'll be perfect for entering my workouts while at the gym. I can set up the spreadsheet beforehand and then just type in the #'s as I go.

http://appshopper.com/productivity/numbers2
http://appshopper.com/productivity/pages
http://appshopper.com/productivity/keynote

Cougarcat
May 31, 2011, 12:46 PM
So how are these apps, at $9.99 each with no cloud support, better than Google docs which is free (includes document, spreadsheet and presentation apps) and includes cloud support?

Um, the interface? Native app is almost always better than a web app.

That said, I agree with you: I'd never buy something like this without proper cloud support. Crossing my fingers iCloud delivers next week.

Themaeds
May 31, 2011, 12:47 PM

Its not better...at all. Seems like a cash grab to me. So you're telling me I have to pay $9.99 per APP per Device? Ok, no thanks. Google Docs is incredicbly easy to use and features everything listed above.

atarobert97
May 31, 2011, 12:48 PM
Glad Apple have updated the app since I was finding the home page annoying but now they have added folders it will help me lots.

gkpm
I see others asking for Dropbox support, well I don't see why anyone, much less Apple, should support it until that company comes clear about their file privacy and security:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/16/dropbox_ftc_not_good_enough/

Bistroengine
Here's what I get when I search for it in the App Store.

Kettil
If Apple expands the support of video mirroring on iPods and iPhones, apps like these might be useful with an external screen and keyboard. Perhaps iPhone 5 is the Mac nano :D

macsation
Pages never formats my documents to openly correctly in MS Word. Documents to Go is much more accurate with formatting and fonts. Since MS Word is the standard everywhere you'd think apple would solve this issue.

TWSS37
May 31, 2011, 12:49 PM

That said, I agree with you: I'd never buy something like this without proper cloud support. Crossing my fingers iCloud delivers next week.

Should have been more specific. Android devices have a native app.

Popeye206

Yeah... I was going to add that not all the time do you have internet either and need a local app. I would assume iCloud will bring us the cloud sharing. Also, there's a huge difference in what you can do in Pages compared to Google Docs... assuming all the formatting is not stripped out of Pages.

Cougarcat
So you're telling me I have to pay $9.99 per APP per Device?

No, it's 9.99 per app, universal, as many devices as you want.

Popeye206
May 31, 2011, 12:51 PM
Pages never formats my documents to openly correctly in MS Word. Documents to Go is much more accurate with formatting and fonts. Since MS Word is the standard everywhere you'd think apple would solve this issue.

???? I've never seen this problem and use both.

TWSS37
May 31, 2011, 12:52 PM
Yeah... I was going to add that not all the time do you have internet either and need a local app. I would assume iCloud will bring us the cloud sharing. Also, there's a huge difference in what you can do in Pages compared to Google Docs... assuming all the formatting is not stripped out of Pages.

Again, the native app for Android includes cloud support and you can save locally.

macsation
May 31, 2011, 12:52 PM

Yea, I'm using it right now to try and edit my resume. It looks fine in Pages, but the formatting is off when I open it in Word. This has always been the case on my Air, Ipad, and now iphone.

Cougarcat
May 31, 2011, 12:54 PM
Again, the native app for Android includes cloud support and you can save locally.

That's great. But that's a different platform, so it's irrelevant.

archipellago
May 31, 2011, 12:56 PM
£6 for squintable word processing? Yeah...sure... :rolleyes:

You forgot the awful compatibility and it's basic uselessness for any meaningful business application.

Why bother...?

Macsterguy
May 31, 2011, 12:56 PM
Open the new version of Pages on your iPhone or iPad and click on the "+" button. There is now an option for WebDAV. Could that = iCloud ???

ten-oak-druid
May 31, 2011, 12:57 PM
Where is the "Draw" and "Paint" part of this?

Will we get Claris Works for iOS?

May 31, 2011, 12:57 PM
"amazing"!

Mak47
May 31, 2011, 12:58 PM
The really big news here is the ability to control a keynote with Keynote remote. I do a lot of presentations from my MBP to an hdtv. I can now leave the MBP at home. Just connect iPad 2 to the TV, connect the iPhone to the iPad over wifi and I'm good to go. Or I'd imagine I could switch them up if i wanted to see notes on my iPad screen and control it from there. The app was pretty close to useless until now.

The other iWork apps on iPhone are helpful too. I won't likely create anything on it, but the ability to have the files for emailing or quick editing is great.

skunk
May 31, 2011, 01:00 PM
Works fine for me: perfect for on-site production of estimates. You can email as .pdf, .doc or .pages. Very handy in a pinch.

archipellago
May 31, 2011, 01:00 PM

Depends on the level of use.

Numbers is far worse!

Defender2010
May 31, 2011, 01:01 PM
Wonderful! They added copy to and copy from iDisk! Folders are great....but why not AirPlay for Keynote? In work we have an Apple tv connected in the presentation room and it sucks you cannot just AirPlay it straight from a device.. :( great updates though :)

Macsterguy
May 31, 2011, 01:01 PM
Wait... iWork on iCloud - this is huge... What next... Dropbox on multiple Macs... What will they think of next...

Obi-Wan Kubrick
May 31, 2011, 01:03 PM
Nice to see this is finally available. It may not be used by a large audience but on the other hand no one can say that their Droid can do word docs and the iPhone cant.

M-O
May 31, 2011, 01:03 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-gb; Nexus S Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)
I'll stick with Google Docs myself (tightarse :)).

i wish i could do the same... but google docs is just too buggy. and a huge PITA on the iOS...

toddybody
May 31, 2011, 01:06 PM
Yeah, mildly amusing the first 6 or 7 times/iterations of postings in the same vein.

Yes. We get it. iPhone screen is small. Computer monitor is big. If one wants to edit/create documents all day long, big is better than small.

But perhaps, just maybe some people might have a use for this app that others don't. What a concept. :eek:

Hmm, You seem rather frustrated by this.
It would be a horrible shame if some lighthearted MR jokes (though trite) were to cause you anguish. Maybe you should just relax. What a concept:rolleyes:

dbeaver520
May 31, 2011, 01:08 PM
Haha, couldnít help but think of something like this! :D

Image (http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=287513&stc=1&d=1306863409)

Ha ha ha! This is EXACTLY why I am questioning this new update, yet some of the folks are making me feel like I'm the real 'tard, because accessing these programs on the iPhone or iPod is SOOOOO NECESSARY! :rolleyes:

dbeaver520
May 31, 2011, 01:11 PM
Here's what I get when I search for it in the App Store.

Me too! I've been searching for it, but to no avail. Hmm...;)

ghostlyorb
May 31, 2011, 01:13 PM
Now I don't need an iPad... Oh well!! Thanks apple. I can't believe they didn't wait until wwdc.

NAG
May 31, 2011, 01:19 PM

Pages for iOS lacks a lot of formatting features. Good examples are headers and footers (has then, but only just barely). It is a decent app with a good UI, it just is missing some features. Numbers is almost a complete joke though. I suppose Keynote would work if you're not doing anything fancy with your slides too (it doesn't support all the animations).

MagnusVonMagnum
May 31, 2011, 01:23 PM
Ok, what would YOU call an app that runs on 2 different devices? Since "universal" is so offensive to you I'm guessing you have a better word. Please share.

It's not offensive. It's just an unnecessary confusion created by the fact that Universal Binaries USED to mean PowerPC + Intel. If they wanted to add ARM to that, fine. But since they removed PowerPC, it's certainly NOT "Universal" any longer in any sense of the word. That is my point. What they call it is irrelevant so long as they don't change the meaning of past usage.

They could call it a Combo Binary...oh wait they already use Combo to mean something else. But hey, it's the same difference so why not? :rolleyes:

A 'twin' Binary would make some sense since we have OSX and iOS being brothers of a sort (not exactly fraternal since iOS came later, but good enough for an analogy of recent OS versions). Therefore, I'd go with Gemini Binary. It doesn't change any meaning of PPC/Universal and it implies a brother relationship of iOS and OSX whereas Universal was a reference to a processor type (the main OS was the same).

Bistroengine
May 31, 2011, 01:27 PM
Me too! I've been searching for it, but to no avail. Hmm...;)

Just curious. Do you have an iPad with Pages on it?

Skika
May 31, 2011, 01:32 PM
It's not offensive. It's just an unnecessary confusion created by the fact that Universal Binaries USED to mean PowerPC + Intel. If they wanted to add ARM to that, fine. But since they removed PowerPC, it's certainly NOT "Universal" any longer in any sense of the word. That is my point. What they call it is irrelevant so long as they don't change the meaning of past usage.

They could call it a Combo Binary...oh wait they already use Combo to mean something else. But hey, it's the same difference so why not? :rolleyes:

A 'twin' Binary would make some sense since we have OSX and iOS being brothers of a sort (not exactly fraternal since iOS came later, but good enough for an analogy of recent OS versions). Therefore, I'd go with Gemini Binary. It doesn't change any meaning of PPC/Universal and it implies a brother relationship of iOS and OSX whereas Universal was a reference to a processor type (the main OS was the same).

Stop this nonsense, nobody cares about PPC/intel universal. Its all about iPad/iPhone now. Get with the program jezz

Gemini binary? Really? U would use that term in the app store NOW to define an app compatible between iPhone and iPad??

dbeaver520
May 31, 2011, 01:32 PM
Just curious. Do you have an iPad with Pages on it?

Yes, I do.

citi
May 31, 2011, 01:37 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_7 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8E303)

EPIC fail.. seriously, we need this on a 3.5 inch touch screen? No thanks, it's painful enough watching netflix on my iphone, let alone trying to do any serious document editing.

EPIC? Really? People need to start using appropriate words for situations. This hardly qualifies as an EPIC Fail. In fact, not a fail at all

Kwill
May 31, 2011, 01:38 PM
"Just One More Thing" - announced at WWDC... A new screen sized "something" to run iWork on???
http://www.thevalvepage.com/tv/misc/magnify/TV_Screen_Magnifier.jpg (http://www.thevalvepage.com/tv/misc/magnify/TV_Screen_Magnifier.htm)

StyxMaker
May 31, 2011, 01:38 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

Nice to see this is finally available. It may not be used by a large audience but on the other hand no one can say that their Droid can do word docs and the iPhone cant.

I've been doing Word documents on my iPhone for two years using QuickOffice. It also integrates with MobileMe and DropBox.

kiljoy616
May 31, 2011, 01:41 PM
Oh how quaint. :-)

TC400
May 31, 2011, 01:42 PM

I hope so because I've been putting it off to get it for my mac iWork 09 is just too old.
And I hate M$ office.

alghawas
May 31, 2011, 01:43 PM

It also ties nicely with a possible 4" screen. :-D

For those that are looking for the applications, here are the links below:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pages/id361309726?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/numbers/id361304891?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/keynote/id361285480?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

gkpm
May 31, 2011, 01:48 PM

That's BS. You can't save locally, nor even work offline in Google Docs native Android app.

It's just a veil of their web version. The best feature is you can swap between multiple google accounts easily, otherwise it's really frustrating for almost everything else. But I guess that's what you get for free.

DelisleBA.info
May 31, 2011, 01:49 PM
The price seems way to high. I think I will wait for them to go on sale. 10 bucks to high .99 cents maybe. It should be free for anyone with iWork already.

bushido
May 31, 2011, 01:49 PM
the one more more thing is iWorks 11 now with icloud support which got announced right after iOS5 and Lion

MacTheSpoon
May 31, 2011, 01:56 PM
Great! Glad to see this happening.

maflynn
May 31, 2011, 01:57 PM
This announcement is utterly ridiculous.

How is it even feasible to do a spreadsheet or a document on a 3.5" screen.

Rot'nApple
May 31, 2011, 02:05 PM

Wouldn't iWork '12 be a better name? I mean 2011 is halfway over. Even if released at WWDC, 2011 is halfway over. Call it 2012 and ride it for a year and a half, while working on next version of iWork. :D

archipellago
May 31, 2011, 02:11 PM
Wouldn't iWork '12 be a better name? I mean 2011 is halfway over. Even if released at WWDC, 2011 is halfway over. Call it 2012 and ride it for a year and a half, while working on next version of iWork. :D

Or better still, pay MS a bunch of money to make Office work on iOS and then put iWork out of it's misery.

Real world working FTW

ThisIsNotMe
May 31, 2011, 02:12 PM
How do you update Keynote and not include AirPlay support?

cheekyjeremy
May 31, 2011, 02:14 PM
While they download just fine, they do not install on my iphone4 thus making me think that they do not work unless under the latest IOS build, or they are blocked from working on jailbroken phones. Anyone else having similar issues ?

Carl Sagan
May 31, 2011, 02:17 PM
This is probably good for minor editing or quick last-minute adjustments.

+1 for universal binary and not having to buy them again.

This. /\/\

Macsterguy
May 31, 2011, 02:18 PM
Image (http://www.thevalvepage.com/tv/misc/magnify/TV_Screen_Magnifier.htm)

What is that? A toaster?

Never mind - It is a TV screen magnifier - LOL

Reach9
May 31, 2011, 02:35 PM

This is mainly for quick edits and jot downs.

For example, when i'm at the gym i can log in my sets and reps in Numbers for my iPhone.
Or if i have to meet with a client and my team and I just noticed we don't have a specific slide ready, i can make quick adjustments on my iPhone and export it as a .ppt for Keynote and PowerPoint.

The app isn't aimed at [i]making[/b] iWork documents, just editing them on the go. We have iPads and Macs for that.

Marx55
May 31, 2011, 02:53 PM
Is there a way to control Keynote and PowerPoint presentations from the iOS device (iPod touch, iPhone or iPad) using a Bluetooth remote control?

THAT WOULD BE THE ULTIMATE PRESENTATION TOOL!!!

Truffy
May 31, 2011, 02:54 PM
I suspect anyone who doesn't get it is someone who is too young to have had a real job yet.
Or does have a real job, just not an iPad or iPhone. There are some of us out there y'know! :rolleyes:

Branskins
May 31, 2011, 02:58 PM
Anyone notice when you press the "+" on Pages for iPhone Document screen it has the iPad popover style?

Hints at iOS 5? :D

ChristianJapan
May 31, 2011, 03:15 PM
Just download ... really nice little benefit. Screen still too small serious work on the device but for a review and small changes ... really nice ... Thanks :apple:

benadd
May 31, 2011, 03:33 PM
Id buy Pages for my iPad in a second...if the price were more amicable. When Apple has incredible apps like Garage Band (iOS) for 4.99...you expect me to pay 9.99 for ONE piece of the iOS iWork Suite? Seems a tad overvalued.

(and please dont lecture me about the correspondingly higher price of desktop office suites...(iWork, MS Office) this is an iPad app for heavens sake...application value is totally different)

I don't it's fair to say that just because it's an iPad app the application value is automatically lower than a computer application. What Apple have created is an amazingly powerful set of programs that's capable of pretty much everything that the equivalent desktop suite is capable of. The only difference is that the input is through touch and gesturing. $9.99 is perfectly reasonable to create documents that look even better than the amount of effort you've used to create them.

Phil A.
May 31, 2011, 03:41 PM

It's not something that you'd use through choice as an everyday tool, but if you need to do a quick edit to a document, spreadsheet or presentation and the only thing you have on you is your phone then at least it's possible now without having to spend extra money on one of the office apps that was available on the iPhone before this announcement.

My view is they don't cost me anything (I've already bought them for the iPad) so I'll load them on my phone anyway and one day they may prove very useful and dig me out of a hole

FearNo1
May 31, 2011, 03:50 PM
Apple iWorks...talk about an oxymoron ;):p They are copying MS yet again, e.g. MS Works ;)

Phil A.
May 31, 2011, 03:56 PM
Apple iWorks...talk about an oxymoron ;):p They are copying MS yet again, e.g. MS Works ;)

Are you are aware that Apple first released an integrated suite called AppleWorks for the Apple ][ in 1984? Microsoft first released Microsoft Works in 1986 in order to compete with AppleWorks. Who's copying who there, then? ;)

bushido
May 31, 2011, 04:06 PM
Anyone notice when you press the "+" on Pages for iPhone Document screen it has the iPad popover style?

aw i'd love that, the iOS needs a few design tweaks, it got kinda old over the years but its most likely just due to the fact that it used to be a iPad app

MacAddict1978
May 31, 2011, 04:09 PM

Amen! With it being so long since an update, I just refuse to. Give us a whole new package please!

abhimat.gautam
May 31, 2011, 04:13 PM

Also, iBooks also has some iPad style popovers, like the brightness control and the typography controls. Just seems to make more sense in some contexts.

wizard
May 31, 2011, 04:30 PM
No you wouldn't run your entire office on such a device but that really isn't the point. Some examples of potential iPhone usage in the field:

Time and biling data entry or other time tracking for projects.
Carrying calibration information or machine data around a plant.
expense report tracking

Note that none of these implies extensive editing on the iPhone. Instead you simply edit the fields required with a tiny amount of data for processing later.
It isn't a perfect solution but one that is certainly desirable. No one wants to write a massive spread sheet app on an iPhone, but I don't really think that is the point at all. Instead think of collecting data, filling out forms and other mundane work that a spread sheet is really suitable for. Sometimes a spread sheet is the most economical way to a suitable solution.

wizard
May 31, 2011, 04:33 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

They were really nervous that nobody would come without the iPhone introduction. This is the first time that I can remember that such a big apple event actually had an advance agenda.

Apple has released hardware and software just prior to WWDC on a number of occasions. This is no big surprise in that regard.

entropi
May 31, 2011, 04:40 PM
gnnnt... and I just went and bought pages and numbers and I who wasn't supposed to update my iPhone from 4.1........ (and iWork requires 4.2.8!)

I knew Apple was going to fool me to update any day...

I bet the new mobile me/iCloud won't work unless you get iOS 5 too (which at the same time cuts the speed of your iPhone 4 in half, just like iOS4 did to my iPhone 3G)

wizard
May 31, 2011, 04:43 PM

Lecture no baseball bat maybe.

Look at it this way, your position would mean that many developers would never bother to bring an app to the IPad or iOS itself because they don't have the pricing flexibility to cover costs. The fact that the app runs on an iPad has nothing to do with its price. Pricing is based on projected sales, cost to develop and many other factors. There are some very expensive iOS apps out there and some are actually worth their costs based on their utility and the small markets they serve.

Carl Sagan
May 31, 2011, 04:51 PM
No you wouldn't run your entire office on such a device but that really isn't the point. Some examples of potential iPhone usage in the field:

Time and biling data entry or other time tracking for projects.
Carrying calibration information or machine data around a plant.
expense report tracking

Note that none of these implies extensive editing on the iPhone. Instead you simply edit the fields required with a tiny amount of data for processing later.

It isn't a perfect solution but one that is certainly desirable. No one wants to write a massive spread sheet app on an iPhone, but I don't really think that is the point at all. Instead think of collecting data, filling out forms and other mundane work that a spread sheet is really suitable for. Sometimes a spread sheet is the most economical way to a suitable solution.

Indeed, I see this as an accompaniment to the main iPad Pages etc but a stand alone product in it's self, think Apple do also given they're giving away free to those who bought it on the iPad...that's why this was pushed out prior to next week. It's not big enough an announcement to make it into the keynote. The discovery of the + iPad style menu is far more significant. iCloud is looking more and more like the bridge between mobile and home computing, the third pillar in Apple's post pc age...

rjlawrencejr
May 31, 2011, 05:06 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Surely you doth protest too much. It may not be for everyone but I find I can create (and or edit), presentations on my phone with great ease.

The only reason I'm not buying it is because I have Office Squared which has a spreadsheet, word processor, and now a presentation app all rolled into one. The best part is it only cost me $6 and it's Dropbox and Google docs compatible.

moderately
May 31, 2011, 05:08 PM

I did inventory this year using note pad on my iPod and comma delineated fields, then emailed it to myself, opened in numbers, copy/pasted into my inventory spreadsheet. I imagine this will be easier.

wizard
May 31, 2011, 05:13 PM
Ha ha ha! This is EXACTLY why I am questioning this new update, yet some of the folks are making me feel like I'm the real 'tard, because accessing these programs on the iPhone or iPod is SOOOOO NECESSARY! :rolleyes:

You have obviously never worked in your life. At least not in any capacity that would require you to communicate with others.

It is not that anybody expects that the devices will be optimal for editing and creation, they obviously aren't. However when away from the office or work station they are very valuable and can save on the need to create ever more documents in other formats already supported on the iOS devices. It means that iOS users can now employ in the field spreadsheets and the like that have minimal changes from those used in the office.

An iPhone is perfectly fine for entering in data in to a time accounting spread sheet for example. Same goes for engineering in the field where you might for example need to recalculate the load on a bus bar, stress on a tie bar or any other engineering uses for a spread sheet.

In any event I don't think you have a grasp of modern life or don't have the capability of handling a job that demands much of you. If you did you would realize that these are simply tools to be used just like any other tool.

japanime
May 31, 2011, 05:22 PM

Yes, please, Apple.

wizard
May 31, 2011, 05:23 PM
Indeed, I see this as an accompaniment to the main iPad Pages etc but a stand alone product in it's self, think Apple do also given they're giving away free to those who bought it on the iPad...that's why this was pushed out prior to next week. It's not big enough an announcement to make it into the keynote. The discovery of the + iPad style menu is far more significant. iCloud is looking more and more like the bridge between mobile and home computing, the third pillar in Apple's post pc age...

I really don't see people going crazy with spread sheet writing on an iPhone. However their is great potential in using spread sheets developed else where, when the only thing available to you is an iPhone.

Carl Sagan
May 31, 2011, 05:37 PM
I really don't see people going crazy with spread sheet writing on an iPhone. However their is great potential in using spread sheets developed else where, when the only thing available to you is an iPhone.

It's not about writing them from scratch, it's about modifying ones created elsewhere. No one in their right mind would produce a sizable spreadsheet or Pages doc on their iPhone but you can easily see being able to tweak one on your mobile would be very useful.:cool:

Tha Professor
May 31, 2011, 05:40 PM
Sweet! So my phone now does better presentations than any PC out there! Next semester I will be doing my keynotes on my way to school before class.. Saves me an hour of sleep!

mgipe
May 31, 2011, 06:00 PM
Just tried them out. They work better than I expected. These apps could do real work on an iPhone!

alust2013
May 31, 2011, 06:06 PM
hope it all works out for you...

Note the rolling eyes. Twas a joke, I definitely prefer my real computer and dual monitors for that. However, someone did make a good point if you have the iPhone and need to change a couple things, you don't have to hunt around for free wifi somewhere. Not a terrible idea, just not something I would need.

carmenodie
May 31, 2011, 06:11 PM
Honestly? Don't take yourself too seriously dear.
There are business people out there that will do things with this that'll wow simple mined folks. Honestly!

carmenodie
May 31, 2011, 06:14 PM

Get an imagination!

Applepi
May 31, 2011, 06:58 PM
May pick up Pages for extreme cases of on the go word processing, probably will use twice a year if even that.

david77
May 31, 2011, 07:02 PM
I hadn't seen this mentioned, but if you drag down in the document view, you get tabs to sort by date & name. Or was this there before?

May 31, 2011, 07:06 PM
Not sure if I'm ever going to use it on the iPhone ... but just installed it on my iPhone, it was a 'free' software since I already owned the iPad version, so I installed just in case ...

caspersoong
May 31, 2011, 07:51 PM
I just hope it can open docx without too much distortion.

jonnysods
May 31, 2011, 08:11 PM
I couldn't imagine anything worse than making my keynotes on my iPhone. I haven't even bothered using it on the iPad either. There are some things that point and click haven't lost out on yet!

Epic Xbox Revie
May 31, 2011, 08:43 PM
I'm pretty pumped for XCode on my iPhone!!! BRING IT ON!

Moohooya
May 31, 2011, 08:47 PM
Will this open a password protected docx file on my iPhone?

zedsdead
May 31, 2011, 08:49 PM

Apple better get with this...iWork on the iPhone is fine and all, but largely a waste. iWork on the Mac is FAR more useful. Bring on an update.

frankk
May 31, 2011, 09:22 PM
Is there a way to control Keynote and PowerPoint presentations from the iOS device (iPod touch, iPhone or iPad) using a Bluetooth remote control?

THAT WOULD BE THE ULTIMATE PRESENTATION TOOL!!!

Question: Does the iPad VGA adapter work for the iPhone, can I give keynote presentations from my phone? That would be excellent! Traveling to a conference with only an iPhone.

dr34mc4st3r
May 31, 2011, 10:21 PM
Question: Does the iPad VGA adapter work for the iPhone, can I give keynote presentations from my phone? That would be excellent! Traveling to a conference with only an iPhone.

just tried plugging in vga adapter to my iphone running keynote. yes, works as you expected it to be ;)

rmanbike
May 31, 2011, 10:34 PM
I have not tried any of these apps, but judging from Filemaker Go or Bento for IOS, Apple has a long way to go for any real productivity that can be useful on these devices!

iRobby
May 31, 2011, 10:37 PM
if you type in Apple in search it will bring up all of Apple branded Apps

AppleScruff1
May 31, 2011, 10:40 PM
It must be nice using the iPhone for typing documents and doing presentations.

frankk
May 31, 2011, 10:50 PM
just tried plugging in vga adapter to my iphone running keynote. yes, works as you expected it to be ;)

That's great news, how convenient, thanks for that.

mofunk
May 31, 2011, 10:58 PM
Still can't print to my Canon printer :mad: This App is a no go.

Steve needs to get on the job lol

dbeaver520
Jun 1, 2011, 03:05 AM
Not sure if I'm ever going to use it on the iPhone ... but just installed it on my iPhone, it was a 'free' software since I already owned the iPad version, so I installed just in case ...

So did I and frankly, it makes me want to go back to my iPad or Mac to work on it. Big deal.

pkson
Jun 1, 2011, 03:55 AM
The new Keynote should have HTML5 support.
That will definitely be a flash competitor.

Plus I want the transitions that Steve uses in his keynotes that we don't have in Keynote..

Beaverfish
Jun 1, 2011, 05:58 AM
Wow, this is an incredible invention by Apple! Amazingly useful!!! How do they come up with this stuff?!?! I wonder what they will call it???

I was thinking, "a file system," but I have this vague feeling that name
s been used before.

I can imagine amazing extensions for this (years in the future, I know, for cutting edge stuff like this):
* Shared among apps
* A common browser of some kind that can be used to open documents, either from within the app or -- and I know this is crazy -- the browser could automatically know which app to open a document with.
* Integrated with Finder/Explorer when the i device is connected to the computer, options for integrating with cloud storage like iDisk when connected.

I hear Windows Mobile 2003 has a great file structure......

skunk
Jun 1, 2011, 06:23 AM
Ha ha ha! This is EXACTLY why I am questioning this new update, yet some of the folks are making me feel like I'm the real 'tard, because accessing these programs on the iPhone or iPod is SOOOOO NECESSARY! :rolleyes:It has its uses, depending on what you do. For me, as a building contractor, it will be very useful for knocking out quick estimates for additional work on site and emailing a properly formatted A4 .pdf document to the client, with my letterhead and my choice of typeface. No more rushing back to the office to do it, or waiting for agreement.

zergy
Jun 1, 2011, 12:48 PM
Personally, I wish that Apple would simply start merging the OSX and iOS apps stores so, for example, if your purchase of iWork '11 would simply include the UB iOS apps and they would automatically sync, update document lists, open work, etc. I suspect that this is the direction things are moving. Either that or they will eventually move to ARM architecture and simply merge iOS and OSX.

Personally I love Pages, and I need a great way to sync Docs etc, here's hoping for a Me.com update that is actually worth the $$/sub!

PS pdf/ibooks (or iWork) OTA sync ala Kindle (including open pages, annotations, etc.) would be a great inclusion also!
And/or the inclusion of a syncable Flash-card app/template within iWork...

Seems kind of antiquated to keep having to plug in my iOS devices, wait for sync, etc. when my phone and other devices are so self-sufficient/independent.