Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saintalphonzo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2011
I have a Canon XH A1 video camera - connecting to a bad ass Mac Tower with uber RAM - I'm using firewire with a 6 pin to 4 pin adapter - can't get the video to capture. I'm using Final Cut Pro - I go to "Log and Capture," and get the error "Unable to initialize video deck. You may still log offline clips or use CaptureNow. Capture Now doesn't work. WTF?

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
I have a Canon XH A1 video camera - connecting to a bad ass Mac Tower with uber RAM - I'm using firewire with a 6 pin to 4 pin adapter - can't get the video to capture. I'm using Final Cut Pro - I go to "Log and Capture," and get the error "Unable to initialize video deck. You may still log offline clips or use CaptureNow. Capture Now doesn't work. WTF?

1) "bad ass Mac Tower with uber RAM" - On reading that I was very tempted not to bother replying. Please don't refer to things such as the RAM amount as "uber" especially when its highly likely "uber" is actually far from it.
2) Does Final Cut Pro recognise your camera as being plugged in on opening the Application? Or do you get the box "Unable to detect device etcetcetc"?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Is the camera recognised in System Profiler > Hardware > Firewire?
Is the camera switched to PLAY/VCR?
And what exact Mac with what exact Mac OS X and FCP version do you use?
MR_identify_your_Mac_short.png

Identify your Mac and Mac OS X version, visualised in a more elaborate image
Identify your Mac and Mac OS X version using this 25 second video tutorial (3MB, .mp4, H.264)

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Do your camera settings, recorded footage, and FCP Easy Setup all match (ex. you have HDV 1080i60 on tape, your camera is setup to send out HDV 1080i60 out via FW and you are using the HDV 1080i60 Easy Setup in FCP)?

Lethal

MaDTruthSeekeR

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2012
Helpful vs. not helpful

chrismacguy, did you know that snob is going out of style? Yeah. Getting things done is much cooler now a days. Obviously he was only saying he had lots of ram to note that it was not a memory issue. And what a strange thing to do to question if he had a lot of ram or not Sheesh! It would be nice to actually have come to this thread to see some help on this actual topic. I am having the same problem too and not finding much useful. Thanks. :apple:

Nov 28, 2010
located
chrismacguy, did you know that snob is going out of style? Yeah. Getting things done is much cooler now a days. Obviously he was only saying he had lots of ram to note that it was not a memory issue. And what a strange thing to do to question if he had a lot of ram or not Sheesh! It would be nice to actually have come to this thread to see some help on this actual topic. I am having the same problem too and not finding much useful. Thanks. :apple:

And what about the helpful replies asking questions about recognising the camera and such? Have you read and tried them? Or is that too snob too?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.