Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattyO

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
So am in dire need of a Mini and can't wait much longer for the refresh.

I have been offered an Apple Mac mini MC270LL/A 2.4 GHz, 8 GB, 320 GB, loaded with:
Microsoft Office 2011
Adobe CS 5.5 Master Collection
Lightroom latest version.

It was purchased in June of last year.

The guy said he would sell it to me for $685 including shipping.
Is this a good deal? He said this is about how much used systems are going for on ebay with the upgrade.

I will be using it for school, surfing the web, skype, and watching Hulu ...

Thanks in advance for any input.
matt

MattyO

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
yes, but this is coming with the 8gb upgrade and all the software.

I will also use CS5 and lightroom for photo editing and was going to purchase lightroom anyway, so figure I am saving that even though I will not receive the discs.

Plus it comes with Office 2011 ...

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
yes, but this is coming with the 8gb upgrade and all the software. I will also use CS5 and lightroom for photo editing and was going to purchase lightroom anyway, so figure I am saving that even though I will not receive the discs.

That's technically illegal. You won't be buying the software, so it's not legally yours to use.

MattyO

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011
That's technically illegal. You won't be buying the software, so it's not legally yours to use.

So that would mean that a lot of the Mac Pros, mini's Imac's sold on ebay etc with preloaded software are sold illegally?

KennyMac

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2011
Chicago
yes, but this is coming with the 8gb upgrade and all the software.

I will also use CS5 and lightroom for photo editing and was going to purchase lightroom anyway, so figure I am saving that even though I will not receive the discs.

Plus it comes with Office 2011 ...

The Choice is Yours but Know There's No Warranty On It,
I Paid $40 for 4GB of Ram and it's all I Need Right Now.

MattyO

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2011

Thanks for all the input.

I have decided to pass on the mini.
appreciate all the responses.
matt

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
So that would mean that a lot of the Mac Pros, mini's Imac's sold on ebay etc with preloaded software are sold illegally?
Unless they include the discs, activation keys, and agree to transfer the license, then yes.

The software listed is worth far more than the hardware.

SidBala

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
Unless they include the discs, activation keys, and agree to transfer the license, then yes.

The software listed is worth far more than the hardware.

And the seller is nice enough to give away all that for so less?

I am very sure that the software listed is basically cracked pirated installs. They put it in the ad to make it look like a good deal when in reality it is a rip-off.

IMO, when buying on craigslist and eBay, you should only look at the hardware value.

lvlarkkoenen

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2011
Utrecht, NL

Plus, I'd want to have the disks anyway, in case you want to do a reinstall or anything.
I've been wanting to do some HD maintenance on my age-old mini but have misplaced the install disk. Ever since I'm extra cautious about these things.

firedownunder

macrumors regular
May 5, 2011
If the legality of the software concerns you, check the refurb store. Minis on there everyday, basically new and comes with applecare (1 year), which you can extend. When everything else is equal, having a warranty makes for peace of mind. My two cents.

D4F

Sep 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Plus, I'd want to have the disks anyway, in case you want to do a reinstall or anything.
I've been wanting to do some HD maintenance on my age-old mini but have misplaced the install disk. Ever since I'm extra cautious about these things.

Last time I checked time machine reinstalls everything. You might need serial numbers though in some cases.

Worked for me.

lvlarkkoenen

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Last time I checked time machine reinstalls everything. You might need serial numbers though in some cases.

Worked for me.

Good point. Wouldn't work for me, I have an age-old system and no time machine. But that situation will be history soon (I hope)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.