PDA

View Full Version : Apple "Just" Renewed Maps and Search Partnership with Google

MacRumors
May 31, 2011, 09:20 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/31/apple-just-renewed-maps-and-search-partnership-with-google/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/infiniteloop.jpg

(http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/infiniteloop.jpg)
During Eric Schmidt's interview at AllThingsD 9 (http://allthings.com), he revealed that Google had just renewed their Map and Search agreements with Apple. Quote per Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/31/live-from-d9-googles-eric-schmidt-takes-the-stage/):"We just renewed our Map and Search agreements with Apple, and we hope those continue for a long time."This confirms rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/27/apple-to-continue-using-google-maps-in-ios-5/) that Apple would be continuing to use Google Map data in iOS 5. There had been a number of Apple acquisitions and hirings that have suggested that Apple is actively working in this area. The news also suggests that Google's search remains the default choice rather than Microsoft's Bing which was said to be under consideration (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/01/20/microsofts-bing-to-replace-google-as-default-search-engine-on-iphone/) at one point.

Article Link: Apple "Just" Renewed Maps and Search Partnership with Google (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/31/apple-just-renewed-maps-and-search-partnership-with-google/)

AppleScruff1
May 31, 2011, 09:22 PM
I guess all the fanboys will be saying this is great now but two days ago they said Apple should use their own maps and Google Maps sucked.

spillproof
May 31, 2011, 09:27 PM
Unless Apple makes their Maps app like a stand alone GPS unit, I don't see the point of Apple making the maps in-house.

+1 for Google Maps. IMO.

*LTD*
May 31, 2011, 09:29 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I guess all the fanboys will be saying this is great now but two days ago they said Apple should use their own maps and Google Maps sucked.

I still think they should. The more self-reliant and in-house they become, the better. And they're moving in that direction.

That said, Google Maps is a very decent product.

Dr Kevorkian94
May 31, 2011, 09:29 PM
All I want is a turn by turn GPS built in the OS. I can't wait to see iOS 5, there is a lot expiated.

leon44
May 31, 2011, 09:32 PM
I'm glad.
Most people would never dream of searching with anything but Google and to do better than Google Maps would be one hell of an ask of Apple.

I'd love it if there could be a locally stored vector-based map of my country or something, so if I don't have signal I can still see exactly where I am and work out how to get home. Waiting for maps to load around my blue dot is frustrating especially when I know they've all been loaded before.

DevinPitcher
May 31, 2011, 09:33 PM
Add in that Turn-by-Turn Google has on Android (that I miss a LOT from my Droid) and I'll dump the TomTom app for sure.

SilianRail
May 31, 2011, 09:34 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why do we have the half ass version unchanged since 2007? Turn by turn with traffic please.

Khryz
May 31, 2011, 09:35 PM
So I take it that would make the possibility of iPhone users getting the Google Maps Navigation is out of the question if they JUST renewed it?

:(

wordoflife
May 31, 2011, 09:36 PM
That's fine, I don't have a problem with using Google Maps for map data. In fact, I trust it the most. However, I'd love turn - by - turn directions. Android has this feature on the default Google Maps app. I'd love to see it on iOS.

RafaelT
May 31, 2011, 09:40 PM
Google maps = good

Map app = bad

Improved map app using google maps = great

HitchHykr
May 31, 2011, 09:44 PM
That's too bad, I was looking forward to a change from the stale Maps app.

AppleScruff1
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I still think they should. The more self-reliant and in-house they become, the better. And they're moving in that direction.

That's what China thought too when they built the Great Wall. And look where that got them.

ciTiger
I hope the maps App gets something new...

appleguy123
May 31, 2011, 09:51 PM
Just as in 'it happened recently' or just as in 'nothing has changed?'
I hope it's the former because Google Maps for Android blows away the Maps app on iOS.

Gemütlichkeit
May 31, 2011, 09:58 PM

what are you doing on the forum worrying about what apple fanboys are saying?

it comes down to whatever is free for the customer and provides better service.

batchtaster
May 31, 2011, 09:58 PM
That's what China thought too when they built the Great Wall. And look where that got them.

They became the world's factory, including the manufacturer of iPhones and iPods, and a major economic powerhouse?

And what does keeping Mongolians out have to do with anything?

milliepuppy
May 31, 2011, 10:25 PM
.. and they eneded up with an iconic and enduring tourist attraction that drives how much $$$ per year ? ... !!! ;)

haruhiko
May 31, 2011, 10:26 PM
They became the world's factory, including the manufacturer of iPhones and iPods, and a major economic powerhouse?

Actually it's not really for Mongolians. The very old Great Wall which was built in Qin dynasty back in 2XXB.C. is not the one we can see today. The modern Great Wall was built in Ming Dynasty from 13th to 17th centuries, which is after the defeat of the Mongolians.

AppleScruff1
May 31, 2011, 10:31 PM

Who's worried? The hypocrisy amuses me.

And how many hundreds of years did it take to catch up to the rest of the world after the self imposed isolation?

Peteman100
May 31, 2011, 10:31 PM
Makes sense. Building a legit Google Maps competitor will take a while.

vvswarup
May 31, 2011, 10:35 PM
Add in that Turn-by-Turn Google has on Android (that I miss a LOT from my Droid) and I'll dump the TomTom app for sure.
If you have the TomTom app, then why do you care if Apple has turn-by-turn natively or not? Is Turn-by-Turn on Google Maps for Android better than TomTom?

mdntcallr
May 31, 2011, 11:18 PM
At this point Apple ought to know Google is "enemy."

No reason why to integrate Google's search ad primary search, or google's maps as the primary Map program, except keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Apple...
May 31, 2011, 11:19 PM
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.13548/24.871; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Turn-by-Turn would make iOS 5, iOS 5. ;)

*LTD*
May 31, 2011, 11:36 PM

And how many hundreds of years did it take to catch up to the rest of the world after the self imposed isolation?

Horrible comparison. Yikes.

ten-oak-druid
May 31, 2011, 11:39 PM
Map apps need an orientation option that puts the direction facing at the top instead of north. Well it should be an option.

I generally prefer north at the top but when traveling it is nice to have right turns be on the right no matter the direction of travel.

This is a problem with paper maps. Take a look at emergency exit route maps in hotels. They all have the same orientation. So for rooms on one side of the hall, the map tells you to turn in the direction you would on leaving the door. But for the other side of the hall, you need to know to flip it over in your mind. If you know the building it is no problem to recognize. But if you checked in late at night and wake up to an emergency in the middle of the night, the map could be confusing.

The same thing with driving in a strange city. Some people would prefer to have the direction of travel be the top of the screen so orientation is correct.

chasemac
May 31, 2011, 11:44 PM
In other news, Apple is expected to finalize negotiations with At&t and Verizon on the release of a phone with voicemail.;)

appleguy123
May 31, 2011, 11:54 PM
Map apps need an orientation option that puts the direction facing at the top instead of north. Well it should be an option.

I generally prefer north at the top but when traveling it is nice to have right turns be on the right no matter the direction of travel.

This is a problem with paper maps. Take a look at emergency exit route maps in hotels. They all have the same orientation. So for rooms on one side of the hall, the map tells you to turn in the direction you would on leaving the door. But for the other side of the hall, you need to know to flip it over in your mind. If you know the building it is no problem to recognize. But if you checked in late at night and wake up to an emergency in the middle of the night, the map could be confusing.

The same thing with driving in a strange city. Some people would prefer to have the direction of travel be the top of the screen so orientation is correct.
Every iPHone since 3GS has done this. You need to tap the location finder twice. Then it uses the compass to rotate the map. It's quite useful!

Skoal
Jun 1, 2011, 12:04 AM
Give us a maps app like Google has on Android devices and I'll be happy as Hell. The current maps app was outdated long ago and needs a serious revamp.

Skoal
Jun 1, 2011, 12:07 AM
Every iPHone since 3GS has done this. You need to tap the location finder twice. Then it uses the compass to rotate the map. It's quite useful!

LOL, all this time and I didn't know this. Buried in the fine print somewhere no doubt and I'm surprised I overlooked it. This little tidbit is helpful!

AppleScruff1
Jun 1, 2011, 12:47 AM

It wasn't That bad, was it? :D I was just pointing out that becoming isolated and controlling everything without looking to the outside isn't necessarily a good thing.

joshuarobi
Jun 1, 2011, 12:50 AM
I spent the winter using google maps on a Droid to deliver packages in Humboldt and Trinity Counties (far northern California) and I'm now using the iP4 map app. Haven't really noticed that much of a difference.

caspersoong
Jun 1, 2011, 01:14 AM
Good IMO. But the app needs improving.

Northgrove
Jun 1, 2011, 01:21 AM
I hope their agreement let them improve their maps app a bit.

I'm happy they didn't go with Bing. They have terrible international coverage in their street view.

*LTD*
Jun 1, 2011, 01:25 AM

It wasn't That bad, was it? :D I was just pointing out that becoming isolated and controlling everything without looking to the outside isn't necessarily a good thing.

Well that I can agree with, certainly. Unless Apple can do a better job on their own, which they're known to do.

I still think it's a good idea to work with Google on maps. It's not that big of a deal to take advantage of some of their services if they're good and integrate with them with iOS as necessary.

HMFIC03
Jun 1, 2011, 01:49 AM
Voice Integration from the user would be welcomed too, especially when paired via bluetooth on microsoft's Ford Sync systems. Yes I said microsoft in a positive light. :rolleyes:

talkingfuture
Jun 1, 2011, 02:06 AM
I'm not sure how the licensing of all this works but surely it would make sense for apple to keep Google's maps as they have done all the hard work of taking aerial photos, streetview etc. But Apple could build their own interface and tools like turn by turn on top of it.

Watabou
Jun 1, 2011, 02:51 AM
I hope the Maps app gets updated to include the type of route you want (eg avoid tolls, minimize freeways, etc). It could do with some improving. I love Google Maps but the app needs to be better.

Hueyfreeman
Jun 1, 2011, 02:59 AM
This makes me ask the question, as much as I love my android, WTF did google make it. Google's business model generates revenue from the iphone. Infact google has been making money off of iOS since day one. I wonder why they made android? Not that I don't love it. It seems they jump intp something creating competitipn just to say "we can".

SilianRail
Jun 1, 2011, 03:51 AM
This makes me ask the question, as much as I love my android, WTF did google make it. Google's business model generates revenue from the iphone. Infact google has been making money off of iOS since day one. I wonder why they made android? Not that I don't love it. It seems they jump intp something creating competitipn just to say "we can".Google has to cough up like 30% of revenue they get off iPhone search revenue to Apple. Android costs almost nothing to make (I think they have around 50 engineers working on it) and they get to keep 100% of the revenue, which is already over a billion per year.

Of course, sometimes they get screwed when Microsoft pays off the carriers to put a Bing skin on Android, but that's the breaks with open source.

jowie
Jun 1, 2011, 04:23 AM
I'd love it if there could be a locally stored vector-based map of my country or something, so if I don't have signal I can still see exactly where I am and work out how to get home. Waiting for maps to load around my blue dot is frustrating especially when I know they've all been loaded before.
I don't think it would be that difficult to just automatically cache the map data for a requested route. This wouldn't take up too much storage space and would be a good compromise.

jowie
Jun 1, 2011, 04:28 AM
It does, there is a compass mode. Admittedly, it's not very good and should be calculated using the assumed direction of travel via the GPS, but it's good when you're walking around and just want to see the map rotate as you spin round.

Cod3rror
Jun 1, 2011, 05:23 AM
Why don't they use OpenStreetMaps? They are incredibly detailed. Maybe because of the lack of Satellite imagery?

Anyways, Google maps is fine, I really hope they improve the Maps app though, tons of things need to be added.

-Route priority - Shortest, Fastest, Optimized.

-When routing display all kinds of routes to the point all with distances and arrival time pop ups when you tap on them. This is good cause it'll give you an overview of all possible routes and from there you can select the one you want. If you take no action, it should select the route it thinks is the best or your prioritized route from options(Shortest, Fastest, Optimized, etc...)

-Option for 3D orientation of the map

-"Align map to route" Maps does not have that you can turn on compass but it sucks cause it asks for a recalibration every time, and if you have an iPhone already in the cradle, it's a pain to remove-recalibrate-place back.

-Routing priority

-Day/Night mode, with auto switch option

-Route recalculation, for when you divert off-route. Should also have an option of when recalculating showing you again, all possible routes, and if you take no action it should take the route it thinks is the best or the type of route you have selected in options(fastest, shortest, optimized, etc...).

-You should be able to drop multiple pins and route between them, also be able to add/drop transit pins

-Avoidance - Toll roads, Ferry, Unpaved roads, etc... Avoid, Allow, Ask.

-Map caching, first when you set a route it should start caching it, so if you set it up at home, you'll have all the data loaded when you leave. Also there should be an ability to download maps for a specific country or a city, it's very handy when you travel abroad. Are you going to Spain? Download the Spanish map before you leave and you're set.

-Search by coordinates, photo(GPS coordinates from a Photo in your Camera Roll or Library)

-"Home" location

-Display speed limits

-Points of Interest display

iOS Maps is terrible and needs a LOT of work.

KirkL
Jun 1, 2011, 05:33 AM

No China thought they'd be protected from invaders by building the Great Wall.

If you're making some claim on how self-sufficiency wrecked the Ancient Chinese economy, you'd be wrong there too. It was more like internal corruption that hurt them. Did you know Adam Smith (huge proponent of free trade) said China didn't need free trade because they were perfectly self sufficient?

Stepping away from your flawed analogy...if Apple depends so heavily on Google, Apple will left with half-baked products like the Maps app. Compare the Android version to the iOS version and you'll know what I'm talking about.

TurnerMan
Jun 1, 2011, 06:26 AM
While I love my iPhone, I do miss the Google Maps on my Droid and the external volume level of the Droid when announcing directions - Maps sucks and I've had to use it for road trips several times. When I have to go somewhere new, I pull out the TomTom. And Verizon Navigator - LOL yeah, it's beyond terrible.

BLACKFRIDAY
Jun 1, 2011, 06:32 AM
Lovely Google Maps are amazing.

It might be very hard for Apple to beat them in the next 5-10 years, yet alone the next iOS release.

LeMarsu
Jun 1, 2011, 06:58 AM
....interview at AllThingsD 9 (http://allthings.com), he revealed......

you are linking to http://allthings.com when I think it should be: http://allthingsd.com/ (with the "d")....

LeMarsu

Xenc
Jun 1, 2011, 06:59 AM
http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/05/infiniteloop.jpg

They have a basketball court!

KnightWRX
Jun 1, 2011, 06:59 AM
I'm not sure how the licensing of all this works but surely it would make sense for apple to keep Google's maps as they have done all the hard work of taking aerial photos, streetview etc. But Apple could build their own interface and tools like turn by turn on top of it.

This already is how it is. Apple builds their own interface, that is what you are using on iOS right now, an Apple built app that uses Google Maps as a data provider.

The fact it is stale and in need of improving is an Apple problem. Let's hope that now that the data provider thing is settled, the acquisitions Apple made in the maps arena will result in a better front-end to the Google provided data. It's in dire need of a revamp.

unlinked
Jun 1, 2011, 07:07 AM
This already is how it is. Apple builds their own interface, that is what you are using on iOS right now, an Apple built app that uses Google Maps as a data provider.

The fact it is stale and in need of improving is an Apple problem. Let's hope that now that the data provider thing is settled, the acquisitions Apple made in the maps arena will result in a better front-end to the Google provided data. It's in dire need of a revamp.

The current state suits Apple because it makes it look like Google is neglecting iOS when really Apple is. Witness the number of times it needs to be pointed out that Apple are the maker of the maps app.

Dagless
Jun 1, 2011, 07:18 AM
Google Maps app+Streetview in foreign lands; great time waster!

KnightWRX
Jun 1, 2011, 07:19 AM
The current state suits Apple because it makes it look like Google is neglecting iOS when really Apple is. Witness the number of times it needs to be pointed out that Apple are the maker of the maps app.

Yeah, spiting your customers to make it seem your competitor is making a superior product only for their own platform really sounds logicial somehow... ;)

I'm pretty sure it has more to do with how Apple operates. It's been described many times that Apple operates in a SMB mode, where teams are not fixed to project but ressources get moved around to what requires the most attention or is the project "du jour". They probably simply didn't have any resources to dedicate to the Maps app or never thought it important enough to take away from something else.

Boston007
Jun 1, 2011, 08:05 AM
NO idea why the fanboys are bitching

Just use MapQuest. It has turn by turn AND speech. It's the best

DUH

tbrinkma
Jun 1, 2011, 08:31 AM

Please point to an actual example of hypocrisy. (Two different people holding two different opinions isn't hypocrisy just because they frequent the same forum.)

ten-oak-druid
Jun 1, 2011, 08:35 AM

DUH

The Windows fanboys can't help themselves I guess. They just want to come here and bitch about everything.

jonnysods
Jun 1, 2011, 08:36 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

I've got no qualms with google maps, it's pretty sweet. Just wish that more of it could be cached for offline use/less data.

unlinked
Jun 1, 2011, 09:34 AM
Yeah, spiting your customers to make it seem your competitor is making a superior product only for their own platform really sounds logicial somehow... ;)

I'm pretty sure it has more to do with how Apple operates. It's been described many times that Apple operates in a SMB mode, where teams are not fixed to project but ressources get moved around to what requires the most attention or is the project "du jour". They probably simply didn't have any resources to dedicate to the Maps app or never thought it important enough to take away from something else.

About as much sense as pretending Apple is still a startup when it has the gdp of a small European country in the bank.

mdelvecchio
Jun 1, 2011, 11:58 AM
All I want is a turn by turn GPS built in the OS. I can't wait to see iOS 5, there is a lot expiated.

eh...i used to. but then i spent .99 on MotionX GPS Drive, and i got my desired functionality. got 4 quarters?

mdelvecchio
Jun 1, 2011, 12:02 PM
I don't think it would be that difficult to just automatically cache the map data for a requested route. This wouldn't take up too much storage space and would be a good compromise.

MotionX's GPS Drive app does just that -- you can download a local, off-line cache of your route's maps. this thing was 99 cents and nothing beats it. crummy UI/chrome tho. lots of embossed beveled crap. but worth it.

mdelvecchio
Jun 1, 2011, 12:04 PM

DUH

no. its not that great.

Boston007
Jun 1, 2011, 12:54 PM
The Windows fanboys can't help themselves I guess. They just want to come here and bitch about everything.

How is that Window fanboy quote?

I have MapQuest on my iphone and I love it.

Go eat an apple

KnightWRX
Jun 1, 2011, 01:13 PM
About as much sense as pretending Apple is still a startup when it has the gdp of a small European country in the bank.

It might not make sense, but it's how they operate :

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/05/09/inside-apple/

And unfortunately, this is what results in things like the Maps app or other default iOS stuff getting the shaft when it comes to updates...

Bubba Satori
Jun 1, 2011, 01:43 PM

Bingo. Saw it coming. Back to our regular programming.