PDA

View Full Version : Apple Begins Certifying Components for 2012 iPad 3, OLED Unlikely?

MacRumors
May 31, 2011, 09:23 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/31/apple-begins-certifying-components-for-2012-ipad-3-oled-unlikely/)

Digitimes reports (http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110531PD219.html) that Apple has begun certifying components for the iPad 3 with many Taiwan-based manufacturers actively participating.Taiwan-based component makers for backlight modules and light bars have received certification from Apple, however, the certification of panels is still in progress, added industry sources.While there has been talk (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/26/apple-considering-samsung-oled-displays-for-next-generation-ipad/) about Apple considering the use of OLED panels for the next iPad, Digitimes' sources believe that this is unlikely with the iPad 3 and that the next generation iPad will use 9.7" LCD panels.

The timing of the launch for the iPad 3 is in 2012 according to the component makers.

Article Link: Apple Begins Certifying Components for 2012 iPad 3, OLED Unlikely? (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/31/apple-begins-certifying-components-for-2012-ipad-3-oled-unlikely/)

nuckinfutz
May 31, 2011, 09:26 PM
Quad Core please!

Yamcha
May 31, 2011, 09:27 PM
Too bad, OLED would've been awesome for battery life..

8CoreWhore
May 31, 2011, 09:30 PM
OLED is poor in bright light... non-starter for Apple.

From Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_light-emitting_diode#Disadvantages

Power consumption: While an OLED will consume around 40% of the power of an LCD displaying an image which is primarily black, for the majority of images it will consume 60–80% of the power of an LCD – however it can use over three times as much power to display an image with a white background[69] such as a document or website. This can lead to reduced real-world battery life in mobile devices.

derek1984
May 31, 2011, 09:36 PM
Just give me retina and I will finally get an iPad.

CristobalHuet
May 31, 2011, 09:39 PM
At this point, I think a higher-res screen has to be a given, not to mention the quad-core successor to the A5.

appleguy123
May 31, 2011, 09:41 PM
The iPad 2 is an amazing product that has almost completely satiated my tablet needs. The only feature that could make me upgrade this time is a retina display while maintaining the $499 price point.

ciTiger
May 31, 2011, 09:44 PM
DO you think it will be redesigned to be thinner and lighter?

Yamcha
May 31, 2011, 09:45 PM
I personally don't think a quad core is necessary on a device like this, but thats just my opinion, I just don't think any task would make any use of all four cores..

I have no intention of buying an iPad :P, but I think a higher resolution screen is what would be a worth while upgrade.. 1024x768 isn't the best for todays web experience..

AppleScruff1
May 31, 2011, 09:45 PM
Even if the iPad 3 is just a re-badged iPad 1 it will still sell in record numbers and Apple won't be able to fill the supply channels anyway.

appleguy123
May 31, 2011, 09:47 PM

I'm not sure I'd want it to be much thinner. It would probably be uncomfortable to hold. :) The iPad has the perfect shape right now, IMO. Lighter might be nice though.

toddybody
May 31, 2011, 09:50 PM
I'm not sure I'd want it to be much thinner. It would probably be uncomfortable to hold. :) The iPad has the perfect shape right now, IMO. Lighter might be nice though.

Hear hear...the iPad 2 already feels perfect, with exception to the weight. All I'm really interested in is the rumored 300+dpi display...quad core would be the cherry on top:p

macse30
May 31, 2011, 09:53 PM
Probably the same form factor as the iPad2 with improved display and processor and camera with one or two surprises. I'll trade up for sure. Love my iPad2.

nuckinfutz
May 31, 2011, 09:56 PM
For iPad 3 I'm going to need

Higher resolution screen.
Much Much better cameras. HD Facetime please.
Bluetooth 4.0
SD card slots
450Mbit 802.11n
4G LTE cellular
NFC

credit card reader built right in (joking)

Thex1138
May 31, 2011, 10:02 PM
Unlikely now?
:rolleyes:

FlameofAnor
May 31, 2011, 10:05 PM

Indeed, the iPad 3 will be a flexible sheet of glass. ;)

ten-oak-druid
May 31, 2011, 10:06 PM
Hurry up with an E-ink ipad.

And also allow SIM cards to be moved from iphone to ipad and back so that only one need be carried at a time.

Nukemkb
May 31, 2011, 10:12 PM
It will need to have something really special to get my iPad 2 out of my hands! :D

olternaut
May 31, 2011, 10:21 PM

From Wiki:

Power consumption: While an OLED will consume around 40% of the power of an LCD displaying an image which is primarily black, for the majority of images it will consume 6080% of the power of an LCD however it can use over three times as much power to display an image with a white background[69] such as a document or website. This can lead to reduced real-world battery life in mobile devices.

What type of OLED are you talking about? Is what you are quoting the same for Super AMOLED? Or the recently updated Super AMOLED plus?

olternaut
May 31, 2011, 10:22 PM

It doesn't have to be thinner. If they could make it lighter somehow that would be awesome.

Shadow Runner
May 31, 2011, 10:22 PM
I hardly care if it has OLED. I think most of us here would much rather see doubled resolution.

Even if that is the only upgrade, if the prices stay the same, I'd buy one. I had the first iPad and thought it was just okay. I was not thrilled with the screen. My eyes are very good at seeing up close so those pixels stood out to me. (I can see iPhone 4 pixels if I look carefully enough)

KylePowers
May 31, 2011, 10:25 PM
After skipping iPad 1 and hopping onto the iPad 2 bandwagon, I think I'd like to see in the next iteration:

Retina Display (going from iPhone 4 to iPad 2 is noticeable)
HD cameras front and back (I Facetime my girlfriend and mother quite often)
Lighter (it's simply too heavy to hold in one hand for extended periods of time)
Faster CPU/GPU (the faster the better, right?)
More RAM (the more the better, right?)
Bigger storage options (the bigger the better, right?)
Some sort of stand would be nice (I don't like having to use a 3rd party case)

I like the prototypes other companies are showing off with phones that slide into tablets... that way all your apps, files, etc are all on one device. It's a pretty neat concept that I think Apple could execute perfectly. It's pretty annoying having to buy separate apps for iPhone and iPad, syncing them with different files/songs/movies, etc etc.

Full of Win
May 31, 2011, 10:31 PM

And also allow SIM cards to be moved from iphone to ipad and back so that only one need be carried at a time.

They can be moved, it's pretty easy to use an iPhone sim in an iPad and an iPad SIM in an iPhone. The barriers to SIM switching are carrier imposed, Apple has very little to no input.

ThunderSkunk
May 31, 2011, 10:36 PM
The only 2 things that stand out as performance bottlenecks for me are the weak antenna (always a bar less than a nearby iPhone4), and the USB/30pin interface. Syncing 64GB of data... bleaaaaa. Thunderbolt would make that zip by, and even allow for some external touch-display functionality when used with a workstation or MBP as well. Would be awesomely awesome.

Lighter weight would always be welcome. ...and maybe an edge that's not so sharp to dig into you while you hold it. Maybe.

I'm not sure what a quad-core processor would do that this doesn't already do without a hitch. I can't think of a single time where I thought "shoot, if only this processor could process more faster." And I'd rather have a low-power, more visible display than a zillion more pixels to spend muscle & battery pushing. I like facetimes ability to run pretty low bandwidth, so I'm not sure how a hi-res vidcam would help.

42streetsdown
May 31, 2011, 10:39 PM
i can't see apple using OLED anytime soon. The technology still has too many issues for apple to choose it. you get things like burn in, and color balance issues.

As for retina displays on the ipad; I think it would be very costly for apple and therefore the customer. a larger screen allows more chances for defects.

skellener
May 31, 2011, 10:45 PM
Even if the iPad 3 is just a re-badged iPad 1 it will still sell in record numbers and Apple won't be able to fill the supply channels anyway.Yep. They can't keep up with demand for iPad 2.

Reach9
May 31, 2011, 10:47 PM
It'll most probably be a retina display iPad, now that will be very nice on the eyes.

Mattsasa
May 31, 2011, 10:47 PM
I don't think apple can really make it much lighter, unless they use some new material, other than aluminum, or a different type of aluminum, or dramatically decrease battery drain, so they can put a smaller lighter battery in

SPEEDwithJJ
May 31, 2011, 10:56 PM
My one & only humble wish is that the iPad 3 will come without those backlight bleeding LCD screen crap found in the current iPad 2. :o

Apple...
May 31, 2011, 11:11 PM
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.13548/24.871; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Thunderbolt and Retina is all I need. :D

ten-oak-druid
May 31, 2011, 11:32 PM
Speaking of iOS devices, I just read that Angry birds will be playable on Roku.

So perhaps that will get Apple to open up the Apple TV to apps in the near future.

mcarling
May 31, 2011, 11:37 PM
2048x1536 would be more than just welcome, it would be enough for me to replace my 64GB iPad2.

The only other improvement that would get me to replace my iPad2 would be lighter weight.

Next on my list would be higher camera resolutions, which I expect and hope to see, but I'm not sure better cameras alone would justify replacement of my iPad2.

Quad-core ARM won't be ready in 2012 and is not needed. I think we'll see a switch to 64-bit ARM in the iPad before we see quad-core. The A5 is already fast for everything an iPad can do. The original iPad was a bit slow, but the iPad2 is snappy. I'm not sure I could notice if it were faster.

A Thunderbolt port would be nice, but would not affect my buying decision, at least not yet. It might when the Thunderbolt market is more mature.

I think the iPad3 might come in 32GB, 64GB, and 128GB capacities. The 64GB version already stores more than a dozen HD movies, which is ample for most trips.

macse30
May 31, 2011, 11:46 PM
I think the iPad3 might come in 32GB, 64GB, and 128GB capacities. The 64GB version already stores more than a dozen HD movies, which is ample for most trips.

I'll go out on a ledge here and predict better display and camera and LESS memory to keep the cost the same. Think about it, the whole idea of iCloud is to keep less on your device.

appleguy123
Jun 1, 2011, 12:03 AM
I'll go out on a ledge here and predict better display and camera and LESS memory to keep the cost the same. Think about it, the whole idea of iCloud is to keep less on your device.

There is still a WiFi iPad you know. Not all of them have data access everywhere.
Flash memory prices will go down, that is how they'll save on costs.

skellener
Jun 1, 2011, 12:19 AM
My one & only humble wish is that the iPad 3 will come without those backlight bleeding LCD screen crap found in the current iPad 2. :oI had one of those. I took it into the Apple Store. The "Genius" was like "Wow, that's a bad one!". Swapped it out for a new one. Not a sliver of light leak anywhere! Looks great!

MacRumorUser
Jun 1, 2011, 01:10 AM
Quad-core ARM won't be ready in 2012 and is not needed. I think we'll see a switch to 64-bit ARM in the iPad before we see quad-core. The A5 is already fast for everything an iPad can do. The original iPad was a bit slow, but the iPad2 is snappy. I'm not sure I could notice if it were

Isn't Sony's NGP coming out this year end and features a quad core?
:confused:

Oh and 1gb Ram is a minimum if they are upping the display to Retina res.

Piggie
Jun 1, 2011, 01:13 AM

From Wiki:

Power consumption: While an OLED will consume around 40% of the power of an LCD displaying an image which is primarily black, for the majority of images it will consume 6080% of the power of an LCD however it can use over three times as much power to display an image with a white background[69] such as a document or website. This can lead to reduced real-world battery life in mobile devices.

The current screen is poor in bright light, so no difference!
For me anyway, the iPad is basically unusable anywhere near even the slightest sunlight. I'd have swapped a little worse in the sun for jet blacks, better battery life, thinner and no backlight bleeding in a second.
And I bet 99% of others would as well. Pro's far outweigh the cons.

caspersoong
Jun 1, 2011, 01:13 AM

From Wiki:

I completely agree. At least they aren't compromising on the countries near the equator, most of which can't make decent electronic devices themselves,

Piggie
Jun 1, 2011, 01:16 AM
Quad-core ARM won't be ready in 2012 and is not needed. I think we'll see a switch to 64-bit ARM in the iPad before we see quad-core.

Many Honeycomb tablets should be quad core before the end of this year.
Do you really want the iPad 3, which won't be out till a few months later, to lag behind them in this respect?

http://youtu.be/eBvaDtshLY8

Moz316
Jun 1, 2011, 01:37 AM
2048x1536 would be more than just welcome, it would be enough for me to replace my 64GB iPad2.

The only other improvement that would get me to replace my iPad2 would be lighter weight.

Quad-core ARM won't be ready in 2012 and is not needed. I think we'll see a switch to 64-bit ARM in the iPad before we see quad-core. The A5 is already fast for everything an iPad can do. The original iPad was a bit slow, but the iPad2 is snappy. I'm not sure I could notice if it were faster.

So you want a 2048x1536 resolution, but dont see a need for a quad core? Whats going to drive this massive resolution? Especially in games?

HMFIC03
Jun 1, 2011, 01:43 AM
Glad I didn't wait and got myself a ipad 2 after skipping the 1st one.

ScottishDuck
Jun 1, 2011, 01:59 AM

Next on my list would be higher camera resolutions, which I expect and hope to see, but I'm not sure better cameras alone would justify replacement of my iPad2.

A Thunderbolt port would be nice, but would not affect my buying decision, at least not yet. It might when the Thunderbolt market is more mature.

To ever make the assertion that a CPU is "fast enough" is a mistake.

akira2501
Jun 1, 2011, 02:03 AM
I had one of those. I took it into the Apple Store. The "Genius" was like "Wow, that's a bad one!". Swapped it out for a new one. Not a sliver of light leak anywhere! Looks great!

check the white balance. Had one no light bleed but the white balance was off. Hope yours is good though.

kiljoy616
Jun 1, 2011, 02:23 AM
I hardly care if it has OLED. I think most of us here would much rather see doubled resolution.

Even if that is the only upgrade, if the prices stay the same, I'd buy one. I had the first iPad and thought it was just okay. I was not thrilled with the screen. My eyes are very good at seeing up close so those pixels stood out to me. (I can see iPhone 4 pixels if I look carefully enough)

Right how close did you put your face. Try again, nice how people really start to believe their own wild fantasy with time. Kind of the same with I get a headache from 3D. Not reality. :rolleyes:

Bad content can cause some eye strain but its not the 3D it self.

KwanMan
Jun 1, 2011, 03:31 AM
I don't think it should be lighter, if it gets too light it will start to feel cheap and fragile. I want a revamped iOS5 and a separate GPS chip on the WiFi version. I want to use it in my car as my satnav but don't wanna pay 100 extra for a GPS chip (I'm not gonna get a separate contract, will just tether to my iPhone so the 3g part is useless to me)

CountBoni
Jun 1, 2011, 03:40 AM
My one & only humble wish is that the iPad 3 will come without those backlight bleeding LCD screen crap found in the current iPad 2. :o

I had that problem, I made an appointment with the geniuses at the Apple Store and they replaced it with a new one without the light bleeding issue. Apple has the best customer service ever! Regarding the iPad 3, I'm sure it will have a better display, don't know if retina but at least close to it. Regarding other features and ports, I think the only addition will be better cameras, thunderbolt compatibility (through the dock connector), more powerful processor, faster and a crazy new sensor. People should really move on from usb, hdmi, etc. I don't miss those ports and I use my iPad 2 for Work, School, Facetime with my family and friends, almost EVERYTHING! (Except playing Portal and Wow) :apple:

Piggie
Jun 1, 2011, 04:07 AM
People should really move on from usb, hdmi, etc. I don't miss those ports and I use my iPad 2 for Work, School, Facetime with my family and friends, almost EVERYTHING! (Except playing Portal and Wow) :apple:

So, you feel we should all dump our new TV's and the new TV's in stores now also full of HDMI connections should be dumped also? :confused:

USB 3 devices are only just starting to come through in reasonable numbers and prices also.

Michael Scrip
Jun 1, 2011, 04:10 AM

Do you really want the iPad 3, which won't be out till a few months later, to lag behind them in this respect?

Will quad-core be the thing that finally gets Android tablets flying off the shelves?

Is being only dual-core the reason they aren't selling that well?

Hint: No

Remember how much better the Xoom's specs were than the iPad? How did that play out?

diddl14
Jun 1, 2011, 04:14 AM
IPS display with moth-eye coating would be nice.

Lesser Evets
Jun 1, 2011, 04:42 AM
Who actually thought an OLED or AMOLED would be on the next iPad? Serious. It's too expensive at this time. If you want another $100 on the iPad, for some screen that does the same as a LCD, it isn't beneficial for business.

Give it a while longer and they'll be there. Most people want improved function and greater resolution. OLED would give little improvement on a practical level.

JS77
Jun 1, 2011, 05:11 AM
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.13548/24.871; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

This might be a stupid question, but what good is thunderbolt on an iPad..? :confused:

ma2ha3
Jun 1, 2011, 05:28 AM
who is stupid enough to think oled for ipad is possible anytime soon.
do you know how much a 9.7 inch OLED screen will cost???
can you even afford a OLED ipad.
people are so empty headed, they believe anything

b0blndsy
Jun 1, 2011, 05:55 AM

Shape is perfect at this point I guess. May be it can be somewhat lighter in weight.

Popeye206
Jun 1, 2011, 06:00 AM
It's waaaaay to early to worry about the iPad 3 specs! :p

trunten
Jun 1, 2011, 06:01 AM
It's waaaaay to early to worry about the iPad 3 specs! :p

It's never too early. I want my next iPad to float, my knee is getting tired.

mrkramer
Jun 1, 2011, 06:05 AM
This might be a stupid question, but what good is thunderbolt on an iPad..? :confused:

It would make syncing faster, besides that not too much.

BlindMellon
Jun 1, 2011, 06:12 AM
The most important thing to come from this article is that fools can stop thinking there will be an iPad3 release this year.

blow45
Jun 1, 2011, 06:19 AM
Image (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/31/apple-begins-certifying-components-for-2012-ipad-3-oled-unlikely/)

Taiwan-based component makers for backlight modules and light bars have received certification from Apple, however, the certification of panels is still in progress, added industry sources.

Digitimes reports (http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110531PD219.html) that Apple has begun certifying components for the iPad 3 with many Taiwan-based manufacturers actively participating.While there has been talk (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/26/apple-considering-samsung-oled-displays-for-next-generation-ipad/) about Apple considering the use of OLED panels for the next iPad, Digitimes' sources believe that this is unlikely with the iPad 3 and that the next generation iPad will use 9.7" LCD panels.

The timing of the launch for the iPad 3 is in 2012 according to the component makers.

Article Link: Apple Begins Certifying Components for 2012 iPad 3, OLED Unlikely? (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/31/apple-begins-certifying-components-for-2012-ipad-3-oled-unlikely/)

Backlight? Wtf? Aren't all iPad lcds LEDs? Why would they need backlight?

Deflorator
Jun 1, 2011, 06:29 AM

Yes, 'cos more cores means more fun ... oh wait!

SactoGuy18
Jun 1, 2011, 06:43 AM
The most likely change is a switch to a higher resolution display. 1280x960 in a 9.7" form factor wouldn't surprise me.

kevingaffney
Jun 1, 2011, 06:51 AM
So glad I didnt bother with an upgrade from iPad to iPad2. will make next upgrade a real one rather than the watery effort the iPad2 upgrade would have been

barkomatic
Jun 1, 2011, 06:58 AM
The most likely change is a switch to a higher resolution display. 1280x960 in a 9.7" form factor wouldn't surprise me.

Don't count on it. Apple has a poor track record with improving the resolution on its devices--the iPhone 4 being an exception. Consider how long it took Apple to offer a hi-res option for the 15 inch macbook pro? The macbook and 13 inch MBP are *still* stuck at a low resolution.

If the iPad 3 has a high resolution display I'll buy it--but I think Apple is going to wait until the iPad 4 to make that change. They will minimize high resolution screens on other devices and exclaim "users simply don't need a high resolution screen on a tablet" until they finally include one on the iPad and say "our retina display iPad changes the game--high resolution is much better!!". lol

raynold2010
Jun 1, 2011, 06:59 AM

+1

iPad = 601 g
Kindle DX = 536 g

And make it easier to read / watch in sunlight, that glare's just terrible.

Piggie
Jun 1, 2011, 07:06 AM
Backlight? Wtf? Aren't all iPad lcds LEDs? Why would they need backlight?

LED Backlight. And Side lit, from one edge I believe, though I could be wrong about that bit, I've not seen the actual screen being stripped down.

Shadow Runner
Jun 1, 2011, 07:10 AM
LED Backlight. And Side lit, from one edge I believe, though I could be wrong about that bit, I've not seen the actual screen being stripped down.

When I had my gen 1 iPad the light was bleeding noticeably from both sides when held in portrait. So probably LEDs on both sides.

organerito
Jun 1, 2011, 07:11 AM
People should really move on from usb, hdmi, etc. I don't miss those ports and I use my iPad 2 for Work, School, Facetime with my family and friends, almost EVERYTHING! (Except playing Portal and Wow) :apple:

That's a great idea!!!:rolleyes:

What are you going to replace them with? Oh yeah, i got it. As we have iPads now, we don't need those anymore.

mingoglia
Jun 1, 2011, 07:23 AM
I for one am happy with the resolution of my first generation iPad. I can't recall one time while using it where I said to myself, "if only the resolution was better". Yeah, it could be lighter and I wish I had a camera and the ability to output to a display... all 3 of which were already addressed in the second gen but the weight can always be brought down more...

Piggie
Jun 1, 2011, 07:24 AM
Would a Thunderbolt enabled iPad3, no matter how pointless that may be, actually have a REAL port on it?

Given the shape I expect not.
Probably yet another horrid dongle on a wire hanging out the bottom as an optional extra I guess?

luci216
Jun 1, 2011, 07:29 AM
a USB port would be nice, too. Maybe.

But Retina is a must.

doubledown7d
Jun 1, 2011, 07:39 AM
The iPad 3 will be the same as the 2, it will just come with a new improved non-bleed screen. I still don't have an iP2 after returning three of them for ugly streaks that made movie watching an ugly affair. Come on Apple. Love the product, fix the execution before even thinking about putting out the new one.

blow45
Jun 1, 2011, 07:43 AM

Hmmmm... Isn't the backlight the LEDs themselves incorporated as pixels on the screen?

Thunderhawks
Jun 1, 2011, 07:54 AM
The iPad 3 will be the same as the 2, it will just come with a new improved non-bleed screen. I still don't have an iP2 after returning three of them for ugly streaks that made movie watching an ugly affair. Come on Apple. Love the product, fix the execution before even thinking about putting out the new one.

One thing has nothing to do with the other.

They have different groups working on production issues with ip2 and another group works on ip3's.

In any production, no matter how you instruct people and define the production steps and process there will be mistakes.
The trick is not to let these mistakes out the factory door.

Apple stands behind their products, which is why you can always exchange things you are not happy with.

Strange and frustrating you got 3 in a row though, maybe all from the same batch?

TheUndertow
Jun 1, 2011, 07:59 AM
The iPad 2 is an amazing product that has almost completely satiated my tablet needs. The only feature that could make me upgrade this time is a retina display while maintaining the $499 price point.

Agreed...and maybe a 1-2GB RAM FTW!

KnightWRX
Jun 1, 2011, 08:14 AM
Hmmmm... Isn't the backlight the LEDs themselves incorporated as pixels on the screen?

No, that would be OLED, not LED backlit. Yes there's a difference.

kalsta
Jun 1, 2011, 08:20 AM

Don't you fiind it at all uncomfortable to hold for prolonged periods with those pointy edges? I've heard lots of complaints about the light bleed, and that's not been a problem with our iPad 2, but I must say I don't much care for the way it feels to hold. Those sharp edges do start to dig into your palms.

Overall I love the iPad 2, but if I could request anything for iPad 3 (in addition to the retina display), it would be for a less 'cutting edge' profile.

mcarling
Jun 1, 2011, 08:21 AM
The idea that the iPad3 will come with less storage, due to iCloud, is a non-starter. People want to watch movies on airplanes, at sea, etc. where Internet access is either unavailable or extremely slow and expensive. Flash is getting cheaper every year.

So you want a 2048x1536 resolution, but dont see a need for a quad core? Whats going to drive this massive resolution? Especially in games?
The GPU, not the CPU, drives the display. I note that the GPU in the iPad2 is up to 9 times faster than that in the original iPad. The first one was annoyingly slow in response, the iPad2 is instantaneous (to the extent I can perceive it). 2048x1536 might require a faster GPU and an upgrade to 1GB of RAM, but I don't think it will require a 64-bit CPU or a quad-core CPU.

This might be a stupid question, but what good is thunderbolt on an iPad..?
Thunderbolt would provide faster sync, which would be nice, especially when restoring a backup to a clean iPad. That reportedly can take more than an hour now.

So glad I didnt bother with an upgrade from iPad to iPad2. will make next upgrade a real one rather than the watery effort the iPad2 upgrade would have been
I am SO, SO glad that I sold my original iPad and bought an iPad2. The faster speed alone is worth it. The lighter weight alone is worth it.

jonnysods
Jun 1, 2011, 08:38 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

In okay with LED, just please bump the resolution please!!! That's what I'm waiting for. The current screens are okay, bur after using the iPhone 4 it's not up to par.

ten-oak-druid
Jun 1, 2011, 08:46 AM
Once color E-ink is ready for prime time, it will be a popular option. Hopefully Apple will give an E-ink only model someday for reduced price and increased battery life.

Jyby
Jun 1, 2011, 09:02 AM
iPad 2 just came out and you guys already want iPad 3 ><

I really hope they milk iPad 2 more.... They need to focus on getting people to adopt the Mac!

iTattoo
Jun 1, 2011, 09:05 AM

I agree that the resolution is likely up for review, I would however place bets on it being 4 times the current resolution, ie. 2x horizontal and 2x vertical.

Apple will want to maintain the integrity of the app store more than anything else, and the iPad X will be able to play regular iPad apps using the 2x button, just like the iPad does now for iPhone apps.

The last thing Apple wants to do is render 500,000 apps obsolete.

Apple...
Jun 1, 2011, 09:10 AM

Extremely fast data transfer. USB 3 would work too, I guess.

Moz316
Jun 1, 2011, 09:17 AM
The GPU, not the CPU, drives the display. I note that the GPU in the iPad2 is up to 9 times faster than that in the original iPad. The first one was annoyingly slow in response, the iPad2 is instantaneous (to the extent I can perceive it). 2048x1536 might require a faster GPU and an upgrade to 1GB of RAM, but I don't think it will require a 64-bit CPU or a quad-core CPU.

Oh boy.. Applications, especially games depend on BOTH the CPU and GPU. A good GPU is only as fast as its CPU. To put a better GPU on the A5 would soon reach its limits.

Watch the Kal-El tech demo Engadget has posted to see what im talking about.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/29/nvidias-quad-core-kal-el-used-to-demo-next-gen-mobile-graphics/

trilla12
Jun 1, 2011, 09:26 AM
looks like a good time to invest in Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing! they'll be pouring $$$ into TSM / TSMC :eek:

toddybody
Jun 1, 2011, 10:03 AM
Would love to see something akin to nVidia's Kal El in the iPad3...

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-tegra-quad-core-kal-el,12831.html

fmaxwell
Jun 1, 2011, 10:28 AM
It will need to have something really special to get my iPad 2 out of my hands! :D

Apple probably isn't designing it to sell to iPad 2 owners. It's more likely to be aimed at iPad 1 owners who didn't see the cost-justification to upgrade to an iPad 2. It's also being kept fresh so that Apple maintains its lead in the tablet market.

bigpics
Jun 1, 2011, 10:41 AM
The only 2 things that stand out as performance bottlenecks for me are the weak antenna (always a bar less than a nearby iPhone4), and the USB/30pin interface. Syncing 64GB of data... bleaaaaa. Thunderbolt would make that zip by, and even allow for some external touch-display functionality when used with a workstation or MBP as well. Would be awesomely awesome.

The way TB is designed, my understanding is that getting it to interface properly with the iPad's guts is not impossible, but is gonna take some fairly heavy engineering and new components.

fmaxwell
Jun 1, 2011, 11:39 AM
What I really want:

A fully functional SDHC slot so that I can use it for programs, movies, music, apps, or whatever I like. Not gonna happen, probably.
USB connector that accepts thumb drives, keyboards, and cameras.
High-quality camera that is at least as good as the one in the iPhone 4.
Ability to use it as a mobile phone (speaker or hands-free bluetooth). No, I don't want to hear how much you like Skype.

Piggie
Jun 1, 2011, 12:03 PM
The way TB is designed, my understanding is that getting it to interface properly with the iPad's guts is not impossible, but is gonna take some fairly heavy engineering and new components.

I'm wondering if the iPad actually has the speed/power to push data in/out at Thunderbolt speeds in the 1st place?
Even if it had a port.

hstewart
Jun 1, 2011, 12:09 PM

I would have purchase the non Wi-Fi version if this feature was there.

jrolson
Jun 1, 2011, 12:26 PM
All I want on an iPad 3 is no backlight bleed...

Is that so much to ask?

hstewart
Jun 1, 2011, 12:32 PM
My biggest complain about my iPad 2 is that the leather cover bleeds into the screen protectors - yes that is not from Apple. No screen problems otherwise.

As for the iPad enhancements

1. Quad core will be find - but faster cpu/gpu would be even better but not expensive of battery power
2. Increase screen resolution would be nice - but really only need slight - or if screen size increase - I would not mind a bigger iPad - but would hate one that is smaller that - might just be me
3. Wireless syncing would be nice
4. Access to usb/thunderbolt storage device more then just photos
5. GPS unit not connected to cellular so that mapping software can be use on the go.
6. Higher resolution cameras would be nice to go against the competition - but not a personal requirement for me. Love how external camera can be connected and use with iPad 2
7. Wireless charging ?????

The next is not really about the iPad 3 - but something like it in the future

I heard rumors of MacBook AIR running with iPad A5. This is crazy, instead I would like to see a MAC OS X device running in iPad shell. Maybe call it iMacPad. This would allow to run full Mac OS X applications and also even VM Fusion to run version of Windows. With up and coming 22nm cpus from Intel - this should be possible.

Bubba Satori
Jun 1, 2011, 01:04 PM
For iPad 3 I'm going to need

Higher resolution screen.
Much Much better cameras. HD Facetime please.
Bluetooth 4.0
SD card slots
450Mbit 802.11n
4G LTE cellular
NFC

+1

And no bleeding.

Realistically, maybe one or two on that list.
That's going to be a problem.

ratsg
Jun 1, 2011, 01:06 PM
Indeed, the iPad 3 will be a flexible sheet of glass. ;)

transparent aluminum

maclaptop
Jun 1, 2011, 01:59 PM
Sounds about right. Apple has worked very hard to get to where they are today. Like so many of you have pointed out Apples mainstream customers don't care about specs.

Therefore anything is acceptable.

This paves the way for Apple to roll back, and suspend innovation since they sell anyway. The profit from such a move will set records so high that no other company can even get close.

Steve's old, tired, and ready to relax. He will ride off in the sunset with so much cash he could buy the entire tech sector.

That's his reward for working at just $1.00 per year. LOL

hstewart
Jun 1, 2011, 02:48 PM
What I really want:

A fully functional SDHC slot so that I can use it for programs, movies, music, apps, or whatever I like. Not gonna happen, probably.
Ability to use it as a mobile phone (speaker or hands-free bluetooth). No, I don't want to hear how much you like Skype.

1. There is adapter it will work with more than just photos and video
2. There is adapter ( included with #1 adapter ) but only photos and videos and camera - would be nice for programs
3. This is tablet - except for face time, why?
4. Again why? unless face time.

I seriously think it will be long time for the Apple connector to go away and if so I think the choice will be Thunderbolt - with included Thunderbolt to Apple connector. Too many devices use it and Apple really can't change it for that reason.

That is at least my opinion.

jdougal
Jun 1, 2011, 04:30 PM
I figured it was unlikely, as the Samsung battle seems to be growing instead of going away. I was hoping for a 2011 release but that doesn't look fesiable at this point.

BookMan1979
Jun 1, 2011, 06:57 PM
Just give me retina and I will finally get an iPad.

You already have one, lol, in your eyeball. So go get that iPad! :eek:

I see your point. I am thinking of waiting to see what the iPad 3 will offer when it comes out.

BookMan1979
Jun 1, 2011, 07:00 PM
What I really want:

These are some fine points. Not sure what an SDHC slot is, but the USB connector, high quality camera and the ability to use it as a mobile phone as you described sound excellent.

BookMan1979
Jun 1, 2011, 07:01 PM
All I want on an iPad 3 is no backlight bleed...

Is that so much to ask?

What is backlight bleed? I haven't heard that term before.

BookMan1979
Jun 1, 2011, 07:02 PM
I'm curious about the design of ipad 3.

They'll make it two inches larger than the current one.:mad:

AppleMacDudeG4
Jun 1, 2011, 08:33 PM
transparent aluminum

I do not think that the Star Trek guys have gone back in time yet to give the guy the formula for transparent aluminum.

GoHack
Jun 1, 2011, 10:05 PM
Double the memory, a higher resolution screen, and 4G.

As for having a quad core, the present dual just arrived and has yet to be fully utilized, so what good would it be at the moment?

Moz316
Jun 2, 2011, 02:06 AM
Double the memory, a higher resolution screen, and 4G.

As for having a quad core, the present dual just arrived and has yet to be fully utilized, so what good would it be at the moment?

Developers work with the hardware they are presented. If you give them a quad core, you bet they will utilize it.

jdougal
Jun 5, 2011, 11:58 AM
Developers work with the hardware they are presented. If you give them a quad core, you bet they will utilize it.

I totally agree here. It may take some time to reach it's full potential, but it will get used. What are thoughts on Apple splitting the chipset of the iPad and iPhone?

http://www.ipad3-release.com/new-processor-under-development-for-the-release-of-the-ipad-3/

MacNewsFix
Jun 5, 2011, 02:14 PM
Once color E-ink is ready for prime time, it will be a popular option. Hopefully Apple will give an E-ink only model someday for reduced price and increased battery life.

I agree.

For now, I want the best balance of good visibility inside and out, which Apple seems to be getting accolades (http://www.cultofmac.com/apples-iphone-and-ipad-displays-win-some-awards-get-some-love/95770) for accomplishing (among other things concerning their displays).