PDA

View Full Version : Giving ipod touch to brother - did I restore OK?

JustLikeYou
Jun 1, 2011, 09:12 AM
Hello there!

Forgive me, I'm sure this question has been asked before, but my search-fu is not strong, and I couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

I'm giving my 2nd gen iPod Touch to my brother since I bought the 4th gen. I restored it in iTunes, and the screen with the usb cable pointing to the itunes logo came up, which I'm sure meant that it was restored, but then it connected to my computer again and came up with the factory home screen. I didn't set it up as a new ipod OR use the restore option in itunes, just disconnected it at that point.

My question... I have a Mac and he has a PC. Will I have to go through the restore again, and disconnect it at the "usb to itunes logo" screen? Or is this fine enough to give to him? Will he have to do some sort of restore again to make it work on his PC? Thanks for helping :)

Gease
Jun 1, 2011, 10:49 AM
If you plug it in to your computer and it gives you an option to set it up as a new iPod, it should do the same for him when you give it to him. So yes, it is okay to give it to him now.

kuebby
Jun 1, 2011, 11:09 AM
He'll have to restore it again, he won't be able to sync a Mac-formatted iPod with Windows (that's the way it's been in the past anyway).

JustLikeYou
Jun 1, 2011, 12:05 PM
He'll have to restore it again, he won't be able to sync a Mac-formatted iPod with Windows (that's the way it's been in the past anyway).

As long as it's still useable, that's fine. If he plugs it in and he can restore it on his own with no big hassle, that should be ok. I just didn't want to have to do some crazy restore process in order to get it to work on a PC after being used on a mac.

satointl
Jun 1, 2011, 05:25 PM
It's fine he won't have to restore it again. I've done this a couple times helping people with their iPod touches and iPhones and if you restore it on any computer and disconnect it before you restore from a backup or set it up as a new one, it should work fine. ;)