PDA

View Full Version : Apple to Offer Free Tier of iCloud Without Music Streaming? 'Aggressive' Pricing for Mac OS X Lion?

MacRumors
Jun 1, 2011, 09:39 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/01/apple-to-offer-free-tier-of-icloud-without-music-streaming-aggressive-pricing-for-mac-os-x-lion/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/icloud_mobileme_idisk.jpg

AppleInsider reports (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/06/01/apple_may_offer_free_icloud_services_with_aggressively_priced_mac_os_x_lion.html) that it has received information from a source claiming that Apple will offer at least a basic tier of iCloud services free of charge to Mac OS X Lion users, although it remains unclear exactly what would be included in that package.People familiar with Apple's plans indicated to AppleInsider that at least one of those secrets is expected to be that at least some of the services included in iCloud will be offered for free to Mac users who make the upgrade to Lion. iCloud is expected to replace the company's existing MobileMe service, which offers e-mail and remote file storage, along with syncing of bookmarks, contacts and calendar events, at a price tag of $99 per year.

That price tag may remain for users who do not make the upgrade to Lion, or for Windows users. But it is expected that the cloud services will become free to Mac users who run the latest version of Mac OS X.One thing the free tier is not expected to offer, however, is music streaming. Apple has been negotiating licensing deals with major music labels and publishers to support that functionality, and those deals come at significant cost that Apple will almost certainly be passing along to users, although the company may offer a free introductory trial period in order to help bring users on board.

A separate, "unproven" source has also indicated that Apple may be planning to offer a relatively low price point for Mac OS X Lion, enticing users to upgrade to the new operating system. That low price could be specifically tied to Mac App Store distribution, offering users an incentive to embrace the company's new iOS-like distribution platform for Mac OS X.

Apple has historically offered new Mac OS X versions priced at $129 for single installations, although Mac OS X Snow Leopard has been priced at only $29 since its 2009 debut due to its relative focus on under-the-hood changes that may have led some users looking for more substantial visual changes to refrain from upgrading at a higher price point. It is unclear whether an "aggressive" price point for Mac OS X Lion as claimed by the source would match the $29 price point of Mac OS X Snow Leopard or if it would simply be below the usual $129 price point for major operating system releases.

Article Link: Apple to Offer Free Tier of iCloud Without Music Streaming? 'Aggressive' Pricing for Mac OS X Lion? (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/01/apple-to-offer-free-tier-of-icloud-without-music-streaming-aggressive-pricing-for-mac-os-x-lion/)

LegendKillerUK
Jun 1, 2011, 09:42 AM
Not free to Windows users would be a mistake, seeing how most iOS devices sync to a Windows computer.

Small White Car
Jun 1, 2011, 09:43 AM
I believe it.

'Free cloud stuff' is where Google has Apple totally licked. I don't think Apple has any choice if they want to attack Android and Chromebooks head-on.

Yeah, charge for the music stuff, but contacts, calendars, Pages documents...all that stuff is eventually gonna have to be free for Macs and iOS devices if Apple wants to keep selling devices.

pmz
Jun 1, 2011, 09:47 AM
As a MobileMe member paid through January, I expect a full featured iCloud service immediately on it's launch.

And Im not changing my email to @icloud.com

GadgetGav
Jun 1, 2011, 09:48 AM
How are they going to bring this in? If it's really free, what about people who've already paid for MobileMe - are they going to get a refund? Apple used to have a policy of aggressively up-selling MobileMe when ever you bought a computer with the effect that you can end up with an expiry date more than a year away. If they turn the service free, they'll have to issue a lot of refunds or at the very least, iTunes credits.

Žalgiris
Jun 1, 2011, 09:48 AM
'Free' and 'Agressive Pricing' are the words i like to hear.

nunes013
Jun 1, 2011, 09:50 AM
it says that iCloud would be offered free to people who upgrade to lion. this sounds like either iCloud doesn't launch right away or lion will. because what if they make iCloud available that day and you upgrade but then lion comes out in 2 months. would apple just reimburse you

longofest
Jun 1, 2011, 09:50 AM

agree... I actually still use @mac.com

OllyW
Jun 1, 2011, 09:51 AM
How are they going to bring this in? If it's really free, what about people who've already paid for MobileMe - are they going to get a refund? Apple used to have a policy of aggressively up-selling MobileMe when ever you bought a computer with the effect that you can end up with an expiry date more than a year away. If they turn the service free, they'll have to issue a lot of refunds or at the very least, iTunes credits.

It will be interesting to see what they do for us existing subscribers, mine runs out in April 2012.

toddybody
Jun 1, 2011, 09:51 AM
Awesome. In comparison to 100$+ for windows upgrades...this would be wonderful. Go :apple: !

VforVelveta
Jun 1, 2011, 09:52 AM
Somewhat on topic, but it seems pretty obvious at this point that Lion will be released through the Mac App Store, so does anyone else think OS updates would come through the App Store too?

And then, keeping in spirit of OS X and iOS taking features from one another, perhaps that will open the door for iOS updates happening OTA through the iOS App Store.

Then on top of it, perhaps both stores will include the ability to do patches rather than full app replacements....

Just some random thoughts....

chase.fegan
Jun 1, 2011, 09:53 AM
As a MobileMe member paid through January, I expect a full featured iCloud service immediately on it's launch.

You may not have a choice, pal. :apple:

puma25uk
Jun 1, 2011, 09:54 AM
'Free' and 'Agressive Pricing' are the words i like to hear.

Though seldom used by Apple to define their products :rolleyes:

If true, it's a master move from Apple, that given the sales momentum they're experiencing, is more than likely to significantly increase their desktop computer market share. Tying in the OS/Platform to these services makes a lot of commercial sense in a Jobsian world.

Thataboy
Jun 1, 2011, 09:54 AM
I find it hard to believe Apple will rebrand iTools, I mean .mac, I mean MobileMe again. Hmm maybe I shouldn't find it so hard to believe.

I think it is more likely that MobileMe will become a component of iCloud (or vice versa). MobileMe on the web now already seems a bit like a collection of apps.

Cougarcat
Jun 1, 2011, 09:55 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

Somewhat on topic, but it seems pretty obvious at this point that Lion will be released through the Mac App Store, so does anyone else think OS updates would come through the App Store too?

And then, keeping in spirit of OS X and iOS taking features from one another, perhaps that will open the door for iOS updates happening OTA through the iOS App Store.

Then on top of it, perhaps both stores will include the ability to do patches rather than full app replacements....

Updates are still done in Software Update in Lion.

WestonHarvey1
Jun 1, 2011, 09:56 AM
I find it hard to believe Apple will rebrand iTools, I mean .mac, I mean MobileMe again. Hmm maybe I shouldn't find it so hard to believe.

I think it is more likely that MobileMe will become a component of iCloud (or vice versa). MobileMe on the web now already seems a bit like a collection of apps.

I hope the MobileMe portion will be all-new. I'm tired of watching my calendars duplicate over and over again, no matter how many times I delete them.

levitynyc
Jun 1, 2011, 09:57 AM
I've been using the Amazon.com cloud player for about a month now. I love it, and I love that its essentially free if you buy an album.

Apple really needs to step this up in order to get people to pay for it.

Lunarstone
Jun 1, 2011, 09:57 AM
it says that iCloud would be offered free to people who upgrade to lion. this sounds like either iCloud doesn't launch right away or lion will. because what if they make iCloud available that day and you upgrade but then lion comes out in 2 months. would apple just reimburse you

I believe this is how it will work. Since MobileMe might be replaced by iCloud and since iCloud has 2 tiers, one free and one paid, you guys who have already paid for MobileMe will be automatically transferred to the paid tier of iCloud until the date that your MobileMe subscription ends. After which, you will be given a choice to continue on the free tier or paid tier.

Transition from .me.com to .icloud.com I believe will proceed with or without user consent

Biscuit411
Jun 1, 2011, 09:59 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I just bought a new Mini two weeks ago and most likely won't upgrade to Lion for a while because of third-party software (Pro Tools) compatibility issues. I'm also a current MobileMe user. So where does this leave me? Certainly they'll keep at least MobileMe services across all platforms? If they pull a 'forced-upgrade' like with iCal, then I'll be seriously ticked. Hopefully iCloud won't be restricted to Lion...

Sky Blue
Not free to Windows users would be a mistake, seeing how most iOS devices sync to a Windows computer.

huh?

Northgrove
I think the headline could be true on both accounts. :)

Apple make their OS X revenue via hardware so "subsidized" stand-alone copies of OS X Lion wouldn't be surprising, and it has happened before.

And free integrated cloud services could be a major perk to get people to switch to OS X especially if they can deliver this before Microsoft in a forthcoming Windows version. Sounds like a typical "One more thing" that Apple could do to stand out, especially if they've built clever features that take advantage of it across their OS X + iOS ecosystem.

It's not like Apple don't have the cash and revenue to lower the barrier of entry to Mac a bit.

Small White Car
Jun 1, 2011, 10:00 AM
Though seldom used by Apple to define their products :rolleyes:

Unless you don't count iPods and iPads.

But heck, who thinks about those things, right?

I believe this is how it will work. Since MobileMe might be replaced by iCloud and since iCloud has 2 tiers, one free and one paid, you guys who have already paid for MobileMe will be automatically transferred to the paid tier of iCloud until the date that your MobileMe subscription ends. After which, you will be given a choice to continue on the free tier or paid tier.

This makes sense. Probably the free account will have stuff like 5 GB of space to store stuff whereas the paid one will have 25, or something. And probably some other perks too. Thus, Apple store employees will still be pushing a paid service on you, the only difference is that if you say 'no' in the future you'll at least get some iCloud features as opposed to now where you only get 'find my iPhone' for free.

karthi
Jun 1, 2011, 10:00 AM
I hope the MobileMe portion will be all-new. I'm tired of watching my calendars duplicate over and over again, no matter how many times I delete them.

Rather than free, I would prefer more reliable service, with more features. Though I did not have any problems with mobileme recently, I don't fell confident about reliability of current offerings.

OllyW
Jun 1, 2011, 10:01 AM

Sign me up for a free iPad. :p

Brenster
Jun 1, 2011, 10:01 AM
In which case I eagerly await news on how Family Packs will be handled. I have the master account and plan on updating to Lion on day 1. However two of sub accounts are used by family members on legacy G4/G5 PowerPc hardware running Leopard with no scope for Lion. If Apple plan on retaining family packs I'm good. If they don't then other family members will wind up paying individually for their accounts whilst I get mine for free. If this happens I'm hoping they'll be able to convert their MobileMe sub-accounts to paid for iCloud accounts, ideally not at full price.

Hopefully all will become clear on Monday.

Menopause
Jun 1, 2011, 10:02 AM
I think they'll keep MobileMe as the name of Apple's email service. @me.com is much more lucrative than @icloud.com and I'm sure they're not going to go through the change all over again.

Can't wait for 6 June. Just wish Apple will stream it live this time unlike the iPad 2 event !

FriarNurgle
Back up cloud service should be free for ALL Apple hardware owners. I'm sure there will be tiers for larger qty back up.

Streaming of your media content will unlikely be free. We can at least hope for repeat downloads from iTunes for purchased content. It's difficult to imagine free streaming given the large variety of means, legal and illegal, someone can obtain media content. Restricting streaming to iTunes purchases only seems like it would stir up to many anticompetition issues, but we'll see.

abhimat.gautam
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8J2)

The ultimate iOSification of Lion would be to make it a free update.

swarmster
Jun 1, 2011, 10:03 AM
Some parts of iCloud have to be free or they'll never get used. For example: Game Center. Cloud saving, support for multiple same-device accounts, and cross-device sync should be assumed features for the platform that can be wrapped up in a basic, default tier.

Things like music streaming ("Save space on your device! Access your entire library!") can be easily considered extras.

Small White Car
Sign me up for a free iPad. :p

'Agressive pricing' being the key words there. :p

newyorksole
I have a feeling it won't be available right away and won't be as functional as we want it to be, but I guess we'll see..

Small White Car
Jun 1, 2011, 10:05 AM
I think they'll keep MobileMe as the name of Apple's email service. @me.com is much more lucrative than @icloud.com and I'm sure they're not going to go through the change all over again.

Yeah, I agree. I'll be shocked if they change @me.

There's nothing wrong with "Mobile Me E-Mail" being a feature of "iCloud." No reason they have to change it.

flipshot
Jun 1, 2011, 10:05 AM
Transition from .me.com to .icloud.com I believe will proceed with or without user consent

I see no reason why it wouldn't be the same as the .mac to MobileMe transition. Those that signed up when it was @mac.com got to keep that and gained the same username @me.com. So current MobileMe subscribers will get emails that work at @me.com and @icloud.com and those that were around when it was .mac like myself will keep @mac.com also.

MrSmith
Jun 1, 2011, 10:06 AM
This having to pay to update OSes rankles with me anyway (I don't care what anyone else thinks), but now as a long-time MobileMe user (MM being integrated in part of my life) they're going to twist my arm even further by giving me an ultimatum: change to Lion or keep paying up for MobileMe? Aren't the free alternatives ever increasing?

frunkis54
Jun 1, 2011, 10:08 AM

Seriously, @me is awful they need to go back to @mac that makes the most sense and sounds the best.

Drag'nGT
Jun 1, 2011, 10:09 AM
I was pretty sure this was going to be the offer. Googles got the cloud syncing thing down pat and Apple had nothing to show except a seriously over priced MobileMe service. I'm happy to see or hear that the should be fixed soon. All I really think anyone will care about is the free syncing.

andiwm2003
Jun 1, 2011, 10:11 AM

+1

I paid mobile me for the next year or so (got it for $49 on amazon). The service sucks and I'm afraid I will end up with another email address (mac.com -> me.com -> icloud.com). The last "upgrade" was a major pain and I expect nothing different this time.

GQB
Jun 1, 2011, 10:12 AM
For once I really hope a MacRumor is true.
My MobileMe sub expires in 2 weeks.
If I can get Lion and use iCloud for app/file syncing and keep my mail and calendar without renewing, I'd be in heaven.

The one feature I have absolutely zero interest in is music syncing. I think Apple puts WAY too much importance on the degree to which people want to organize their lives around their music collection. (e.g. Ping.)
And I say this as a musician.

GadgetGav
Jun 1, 2011, 10:12 AM
This having to pay to update OSes rankles with me anyway (I don't care what anyone else thinks), but now as a long-time MobileMe user (MM being integrated in part of my life) they're going to twist my arm even further by giving me an ultimatum: change to Lion or keep paying up for MobileMe? Aren't the free alternatives ever increasing?

Really? You rankle at having to pay for major OS updates, even when the last one cost $29...? Do you know any software programmers? Have you any idea of the amount of work that goes into a major OS release?
If you don't want to pay, find a free distribution of Unix. Just don't expect Apple (or Microsoft) to give away the major releases of their OSes for free.

Žalgiris
Jun 1, 2011, 10:13 AM
Seriously, @me is awful they need to go back to @mac that makes the most sense and sounds the best.

If i have a Windows PC and an iPad how does it make sense to have @mac email?

WestonHarvey1
Rather than free, I would prefer more reliable service, with more features. Though I did not have any problems with mobileme recently, I don't fell confident about reliability of current offerings.

I would definitely pay for a more reliable service, but this is definitely an area where Google excels. Google Apps integration with Android works really well and is free.

I just want my iPhones and Macs to have a seamless cloud syncing experience. I want it to "just work" like a Mac. Apple has to succeed at this now because the time has definitely come. You don't get to ignore the cloud and stay relevant anymore, not in 2011.

chaosbunny
Free or not, I won't be using any cloud-crap anyway.

But great news for those who "need" to have it. :)

benthewraith
It will be interesting to see what they do for us existing subscribers, mine runs out in April 2012.

I'd imagine that you would be upgraded to the paid tier of iCloud services.

Mak47
Jun 1, 2011, 10:14 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

Makes perfect sense. MobileMe already has the tools for this set up. Syncing contacts, calendars, email etc. Files already have cloud storage on iDisk. They could easily rebrand those features as iCloud and make them free.

I think the cloud based music player is cool, but it's a niche for now. The average person doesn't have more than a few gigs of music, which is easily transported everywhere already. The music feature will be important as devices shrink and cellular data gets fast enough to be reliable for such purposes.

GQB
Jun 1, 2011, 10:14 AM

Hey, if a few meaningless characters at the end of your email address mean that much to you, by all means give Apple your $99+/yr. Its your money.

BTW, no way will anyone's *@me.com address go away. Converting would be more headache than its worth for Apple. They went through this once before.

andiwm2003
Jun 1, 2011, 10:15 AM
I see no reason why it wouldn't be the same as the .mac to MobileMe transition. Those that signed up when it was @mac.com got to keep that and gained the same username @me.com. So current MobileMe subscribers will get emails that work at @me.com and @icloud.com and those that were around when it was .mac like myself will keep @mac.com also.

when you send emails from anm iOS device you have to send them as name@me.com regardless if you had a .mac account or if you want to use aliases (a funcionality we paid for!). if I have to send out emails with the name@icloud.com I'm switching to google.

frunkis54
Jun 1, 2011, 10:16 AM
hopefully the launch of this goes better than MobileMe that was terrible.

GQB
Jun 1, 2011, 10:17 AM
+1

I paid mobile me for the next year or so (got it for $49 on amazon). The service sucks and I'm afraid I will end up with another email address (mac.com -> me.com -> icloud.com). The last "upgrade" was a major pain and I expect nothing different this time.

And you think Apple learned nothing from the .Mac -> MobileMe conversion?

BLACKFRIDAY
Jun 1, 2011, 10:18 AM
People worrying about @icloud.com :D

I'm pretty sure Apple won't change the name of MobileMe's email service.

I think iCloud is a collection of services for 'me' which will exclusively be used for any iCloud service provided by Apple. iCloud is a wrapper around MobileMe.

In my opinion, MobileMe is effectively gone. The only things that are there now are:

1. iCloud [target name]
2. "me" services.

That's what I think. :|

kirk26
Jun 1, 2011, 10:19 AM
iCloud? No thank you! I'll keep my files locally.

BLACKFRIDAY
Jun 1, 2011, 10:20 AM
iCloud? No thank you! I'll keep my files locally.

Thanks for posting though.

frunkis54
Jun 1, 2011, 10:20 AM
when you send emails from anm iOS device you have to send them as name@me.com regardless if you had a .mac account or if you want to use aliases (a funcionality we paid for!). if I have to send out emails with the name@icloud.com I'm switching to google.

um no they added the use of Alias to use on IOS mail back in 3.0

andiwm2003
Jun 1, 2011, 10:21 AM
And you think Apple learned nothing from the .Mac -> MobileMe conversion?

When was that last conversion? 2 years ago?

If apple learned from it then why is my email still slow, emails come sometimes with minutes, sometimes with hours delay. Why can't I still send out emails with one of my aliases? Why is calendar sync still a kind of lottery? Why is iDisk the slowest service on the planet?

GQB
Jun 1, 2011, 10:22 AM
I've been using the Amazon.com cloud player for about a month now. I love it, and I love that its essentially free if you buy an album.

I bought the Gaga album (hey, for .99 I can give it to my daughter) to try out the Amazon Cloud Player.
What garbage. Obtuse sign-up/installation, failure to download half of the songs on the cd, worthless, irrelevant help system.
I actually had hopes it would be usable. Sad from a company that supposedly knows how to do an online store.

Biolizard
Jun 1, 2011, 10:23 AM
Free tier to me says 'syncing of contacts and calendars, and Find my iPhone/Mac', and that's it, which is probably enough for most users.

Music streaming will definitely be in the pay-for tier. I also can't see iDisk moving down to the free tier either (Apple have the balls to charge $99 for MobileMe in its current state, after all).

Suppose we'll find out for sure on Monday :)

GQB
Jun 1, 2011, 10:24 AM

Can't wait for 6 June. Just wish Apple will stream it live this time unlike the iPad 2 event !

Why is everyone freaking out about the damned domain name?
@me.com addresses will stay exactly the same if you want. Its a damned MX record for chrissakes.
Your precious email address is NOT CHANGING!!!

andiwm2003
Jun 1, 2011, 10:25 AM
um no they added the use of Alias to use on IOS mail back in 3.0

the added it in iOS4 (iOS3 had workarounds). however that does not mean it works for my account. it doesn't.

GQB
Jun 1, 2011, 10:27 AM

If apple learned from it then why is my email still slow, emails come sometimes with minutes, sometimes with hours delay. Why can't I still send out emails with one of my aliases? Why is calendar sync still a kind of lottery? Why is iDisk the slowest service on the planet?

um, because iCloud is a completely different service, architecture, product from MobileMe?
That's kinda the point.

gnasher729
Jun 1, 2011, 10:29 AM

It will make a lot more sense when you upgrade your computer from a PC to a Mac.

andiwm2003
um, because iCloud is a completely different service, architecture, product from MobileMe?
That's kinda the point.

I hope you're right and I'm wrong. but experince tell us that apple is simply not good at that kind of service.

Popeye206
This all seems logical. I hope the paid version of the service is reasonable.

Looking forward to next Monday.... should be good.

WestonHarvey1
Jun 1, 2011, 10:30 AM

I worry about Apple's ability to pull this off. They don't seem to have syncing as a concept nailed, cloud or not. Just look at what a mess iTunes->iPhone is. Get a new computer - sync iPhone - will your apps still have data and settings in them, or will they be blanked out? Impossible to predict.

I finally decided to update to 4.3.3 and it tells me I have purchases that haven't been synced. I do the "Transfer Purchases" thing and it transfers an album I bought 2 years ago, and now I have the album twice on my iTunes. What?!

Popeye206
Jun 1, 2011, 10:32 AM
I hope you're right and I'm wrong. but experince tell us that apple is simply not good at that kind of service.

I think spending millions on a all new Data Center sort of shows they want to make it better. I would bet, you'll see a vast improvement over the older MobileMe services. Apple tends to learn from the past.

Popeye206
Jun 1, 2011, 10:35 AM
I worry about Apple's ability to pull this off. They don't seem to have syncing as a concept nailed, cloud or not. Just look at what a mess iTunes->iPhone is. Get a new computer - sync iPhone - will your apps still have data and settings in them, or will they be blanked out? Impossible to predict.

I finally decided to update to 4.3.3 and it tells me I have purchases that haven't been synced. I do the "Transfer Purchases" thing and it transfers an album I bought 2 years ago, and now I have the album twice on my iTunes. What?!

I think you're making more complex on yourself trying to double guess it.

frunkis54
the added it in iOS4 (iOS3 had workarounds). however that does not mean it works for my account. it doesn't.

It was added before ios4 because i didn't have to do any workarounds on my 3gs i had last year before iphone 4 even came out.

correction nevermind i remember now it was from 4.0 beta my bad.

jonnysods
Free sounds delicious. I wonder if its a dropbox replacement?

OllyW
Jun 1, 2011, 10:36 AM
hopefully the launch of this goes better than MobileMe that was terrible.

Wasn't it just.

How I laughed when all of my contacts and calendar entries just disappeared without warning. :eek:

Skika
Jun 1, 2011, 10:36 AM
I really want game center to have save games in the cloud or something like that it would be awesome. Ability to continue a game on my iPad that i started on my iPhone?

This would make sense to me.

Popeye206
Jun 1, 2011, 10:37 AM
I felt ripped off with a lot of the OS X upgrades considering they were little more than service packs. Good job I made the switch to building my own computers and dont have to deal with the Apple tax.

LOL! What are you talking about? You only pay for major upgrades... just like Windows.... but if $29 is too steep for you, then I guess it's a good things you went somewhere else. :rolleyes:

Do you really think anyone here really believes you?

CaryMacGuy
Jun 1, 2011, 10:37 AM
What are the chances we would see Apple create an Android app to appeal to those users that don't have an iPhone. I think it would be smart not to shut out the millions of people that have an Android powered phone. I for one would love to see an Apple created interface on my Droid.

jayducharme
Jun 1, 2011, 10:38 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Currently many free cloud services limit you to 20 gb or less. I have well over that in images alone. Actually, between my various documents and media, I have about 1.5 tb of data. I think that the rumored approach by Apple (keeping a single copy of a movie or album on their servers and allowing multiple users to stream it) is the only current viable option. Media either needs to be much more compressed, or there needs to be less of it.

DamenS
Jun 1, 2011, 10:38 AM
Interesting - so the new Mac OS will be "aggressively priced" and yet Apple now forces people who purchase a new Mac to upgrade to (their competitor's) Windows 7 O/S in order to keep using Bootcamp (something which is certainly not widely publicised) - so that's maybe $29 for Lion ... PLUS whatever Microsoft charge for Windows 7 :eek:

lunarworks
Jun 1, 2011, 10:39 AM
I wouldn't at all be surprised if Lion was released at a low price point, given that Aperture, Final Cut, iLife, and iWork have all received massive price cuts.

It's all strategic. Apple's profits come from hardware, so selling their software cheap doesn't really affect the bottom line, and helps to lock people into their ecosystem.

roadbloc
Jun 1, 2011, 10:39 AM
I really want game center to have save games in the cloud or something like that it would be awesome. Ability to continue a game on my iPad that i started on my iPhone?

I agree. Would be a bit like Steam's cloudsync feature which works brilliantly.

Small White Car
Jun 1, 2011, 10:40 AM
LOL! What are you talking about? You only pay for major upgrades... just like Windows.... but if $29 is too steep for you, then I guess it's a good things you went somewhere else. :rolleyes:

Do you really think anyone here really believes you?

Perhaps he was "sold" the minor updates by some guy out of the back of his truck who was passing out DVD-R disks and only taking cash.

Now he's too embarrassed to admit he was scammed so he just goes around blaming Apple.

LegendKillerUK
Jun 1, 2011, 10:41 AM
MobileMe has been rock solid for me over the last year. Would rather pay less though, as I don't use some of the extra features like the photo gallery.

ChazUK
Jun 1, 2011, 10:41 AM
Low priced Lion?

Count me in!

BLACKFRIDAY
Jun 1, 2011, 10:42 AM

It's known as snapshots and triggering. The games will be on your iPhone/iPad only. Apple will send data for your game to recognise points or other info in the game. This is possible if there are iCloud APIs in iOS 5.0 which I think are a big part of iOS and Mac OS X.

There may be something more to this, though.

zorinlynx
Jun 1, 2011, 10:42 AM
Anyone else think it's disturbing how much companies want us to depend on the network for everything?

Doesn't anyone notice that the network isn't really all that reliable? I was in New York City this past weekend, and listened to music on my entire subway ride from Brooklyn to midtown, and guess what.. if I had "cloud music" only, I would have had to sit in the subway in silence because THERE IS NO NETWORK ACCESS IN THE SUBWAY!

Not to mention 3G data being spotty in many areas around the world. Do you want to depend on the cloud when driving? I think not!

I also watched the last few episodes of South Park and the Simpsons on the plane. If I were using Netflix, that would have been impossible, because you know.. no network access on the plane. And even planes with Wifi don't have enough bandwidth for Netflix.

Until we have some magical network tech that works everywhere and is completely reliable with oodles of bandwidth, the "cloud" will never be good enough.

tripjammer
Jun 1, 2011, 10:45 AM
You folks are all speculating....wait till Monday to get the real deal.

INeedAMacBook
Jun 1, 2011, 10:46 AM
Anyone else see this opening up great doors for mac? eg. macbook pro will then have room for a bigger battery and second hdd if theres no superdrive

shaunp
Jun 1, 2011, 10:47 AM

I can't see an issue with this. Most computers have been able of network booting for a long time now, so why not distribute the OS this way? I understand that not everyone has the bandwidth at home and some people want physical media, but for me I'm happy for everything to be electronic, with exception of my confidential information that I keep on a NAS at home.

I think the whole strategy of having a central place to get the OS, updates and applications makes sense, lets face it that's what happens in the corporate world for most people anyway. In this respect the cloud is offering to home users what a corporate IT strategy does - only certified software is allowed. Some people will be unhappy about the perceived lack of freedom, but do you know what look at Linux, at platform that is all about freedom. All major distributions use a software centre of some kind to install software. It's a tried and tested method and it works. You can step outside it if you like, but that's when things become less reliable. Your choice.

Personally to have something that works is good enough for me. I can live with the restrictions in exchange for the improved reliability. I work with computers all day every day (windows and linux in huge data centres) and the last thing I want is to have to fix my home computers.

Apple, bring it on.

Small White Car
Jun 1, 2011, 10:47 AM
Until we have some magical network tech that works everywhere and is completely reliable with oodles of bandwidth, the "cloud" will never be good enough.

Not good enough?

I think you're right. Man, you'd think Apple would have thought of that and built some local-storage into their devices...

Like, SSD chips or something...maybe hard drives in the larger Macs. That sure would be useful.

OllyW
Jun 1, 2011, 10:48 AM
You folks are all speculating....wait till Monday to get the real deal.

Of course we are speculating, we're on a forum where we discuss rumours. :p

Small White Car
Jun 1, 2011, 10:49 AM
Before snow leopard the Mac OS service packs were about £80, which is about $130 ignoring tax.

No, the service packs were always free. You're confusing the service updates with the major new versions. Apple has never charged for a Mac OS service pack upgrade.

juicedropsdeuce
Jun 1, 2011, 10:51 AM
iDisk>.Mac>MobileMe>iCloud.

One of these is bound to eventually be successful. :rolleyes:

BJMRamage
Jun 1, 2011, 10:51 AM
Lion at $49 for MacAppStore download
Everywhere else for $99 (universal family packs for all).

Free streaming for all iTunes purchases: music or video
Want to stream your other music/video pay a price.

Cloud Locker for other files to access on the go via iPhone/Pad/Pod. Edit on the go with iWorks stuff on the iWorks Apps you can now buy for iPhone/Pod.

People have seemed very worried about the integration of iOS and Lion. Rather than dumb down Lion I think they are starting to LEAN out the OS. Making things seem similar in both parts so a user is comfortable switching and using both platforms/hardware I suppose is better. I LOVE Expose but it seems like the new fangled iOS folder like bar showing what's in use or what apps are available is going to be the de facto. Somewhat stinks as I think Apple/Macs are simple enough but know many converts to Macs that are used to the iOS feel and making them more seamless will feel awkward at first but within a year's time it will feel very comfortable and make Windows look very odd.

FriarNurgle
Jun 1, 2011, 10:52 AM
My predictions on iCloud.

- Everything you purchase from Apple will be “synced” with the cloud, be it media/apps/or software. Actually it will just remember what you purchase/purchased and make that available if you upgrade hardware or something.

- Mail and calendar syncing (exchange) will be free.

- Personal file (any file) back up will be free for Apple hardware purchasers up to a certain capacity. Larger capacity will require a fee.

- You will have access to ALL your cloud data from any machine via an OS/Mac app or Web portal.

- Streaming is a tricky one. I’m guessing it will be free for any Itunes purchased content but I’m thinking there will be a fee for the rest… but that has a really bad stench of anticompetition.

Overall, the main service features will need to be free or else this will bomb. Apple makes enough money off it’s hardware and software that backing up and access your stuff will now be part of the Apple products you buy. People are It’s already that way with apps, I see iCloud as expanding on that successful model.

lemoncrsh
Jun 1, 2011, 10:53 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think Apple should put the Hime Screen in the cloud. iCloud.com brings you to your online Home Screen where you can access your apps. That would be awesome right!?

batchtaster
Jun 1, 2011, 10:54 AM
Find My iPhone/iPad and registration of mac.com AIM names (https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyAppleId.woa/wa/createAppleId?createacctype=lite&userid=dmac&localang=en_US) already constitute a free tier of MobileMe.

thejadedmonkey
Jun 1, 2011, 10:55 AM
I bought the Gaga album (hey, for .99 I can give it to my daughter) to try out the Amazon Cloud Player.
What garbage. Obtuse sign-up/installation, failure to download half of the songs on the cd, worthless, irrelevant help system.
I actually had hopes it would be usable. Sad from a company that supposedly knows how to do an online store.

Exactly! and then Amazon sent out an email apologizing for what Apple users put up with every day, offered the album on sale for 99¢ again on Monday, and allowed all users to re-download the album. That's how you run an online store. Apple's sorry state includes none of that.

darbus69
Jun 1, 2011, 10:56 AM

I use both @mac and @me and they both work fine-why change now and if they did it's attributable to the "price" of new technology-y'all need to put your big girl panties on and get over it! ;)

darbus69
Jun 1, 2011, 10:58 AM

huh?

+1 Huh!

WestonHarvey1
I think you're making more complex on yourself trying to double guess it.

I should just accept it then :) ?

I've found that the iTunes/iOS system works extremely well when you start clean, have only one device, and never do anything out of the ordinary. But as soon as you blink or sneeze, it all goes out the window.

lazyrighteye

Ditto.
Which, caused a slight headache when entering my username as my iTunes account info for my TV2. They apparently assume my username is an @me.com address. Once I entered the full username@mac.com, everything worked as advertised.

Anyway... I would like to believe Lion or not, full paying MobileMe members would also have access to the full blown iCloud experience. But I do see it a good incentive to get people to upgrade to the latest OS...
I guess, like the rest of us, I'm just curious how this will all shake down.
We'll know soon enough.

HobeSoundDarryl
Jun 1, 2011, 10:59 AM
Until we have some magical network tech that works everywhere and is completely reliable with oodles of bandwidth (and practical pricing schemes much better than current $25 for 2GB), the "cloud" will never be good enough.

Added that one key detail that most all iCloud dreamers seem to keep ignoring in the fantasy of the perfect world with all their stuff in the cloud. One (that's ONE SINGLE) movie file can be > 2GB in size. Here's current streaming pricing to Apple iDevices via AT&T: http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/ipad.jsp Can the dreamers not see the fundamental problem with all this cloud hype?

Small White Car
Jun 1, 2011, 11:03 AM
Oh no I class the "major" upgrades as service packs because they should have been free.

Well here in the real world we can't just make up names for stuff and expect other people to know what we're talking about.

darbus69
Jun 1, 2011, 11:03 AM

@me sounds very personal, I always get raised eyebrows and smiles when I use my .me account-it's like an extra email you don't have to set up!

rikvanloo
Jun 1, 2011, 11:04 AM
Hi,
i for one actually like the whole "cloud" future.

Does anybody know if Apple is pushing this thing for businesses? Maybe Combined with storage, email and iwork.com? Any rumors on this?

Looking for a decent competitor for Google Apps and Office365.

Thanks for the info.
Rik

BLACKFRIDAY
Jun 1, 2011, 11:05 AM
Exactly! and then Amazon sent out an email apologizing for what Apple users put up with every day, offered the album on sale for 99¢ again on Monday, and allowed all users to re-download the album. That's how you run an online store. Apple's sorry state includes none of that.

I was able to lose 25GB worth of music on my macbook sometime back.

Good thing, I had backed up Megadeth, Judas Priest and Metallica on Dropbox that I bought from iTunes. The other stuff was stolen with my macbook pro.

Apple was kind enough to let me download more than 10GB worth of music for 'FREE' from the iTunes Store.

They seem to care whether you care or not.

puma25uk
Jun 1, 2011, 11:06 AM

Are you sure you can't get more aggressively priced MP3 players or tablets from other vendors, with the same features technically (but excluding the user experience the iSoftware gives them) ?

Granted, quality has a price, but many people think with their wallets only. People perceive Apple as a premium brand. You don't flog premium brands at aggressive prices, unless you're thinking of the baby Aston Martin Cygnet (http://www.astonmartin.com/cars/cygnet) cough, cough Toyota IQ for twice the price :)

foodog
Jun 1, 2011, 11:06 AM

You shouldn't have too. My .mac email still works

foodog
Jun 1, 2011, 11:09 AM
I was able to lose 25GB worth of music on my macbook sometime back.

Good thing, I had backed up Megadeth, Judas Priest and Metallica on Dropbox that I bought from iTunes. The other stuff was stolen with my macbook pro.

Apple was kind enough to let me download more than 10GB worth of music for 'FREE' from the iTunes Store.

They seem to care whether you care or not.

I have a very similar story. Apple was very accommodating . Why is it people that bash "the other guy" generally have never used the other guys product?

Jun 1, 2011, 11:10 AM

When .Mac was renamed to mobileme, nobody was forced to change the email ... you just got an additional email, so if you had xyz@mac.com you got in addition to that the xyz@me.com ... I would assume that now you will get in addition the xyz@icloud.com (so I will have three aliases for the same email)

damson34
my MobileMe account expires two days after wwdc. Hopefully I am lucky and can keep 99 dollars in my pocket. I should get it for free anyways for going from itools-mac.com-mobileme. How many times can the name change lol.

Žalgiris
Why is it people that bash "the other guy" generally have never used the other guys product?

Timeless question.

NAG
Ah pooh, I have MobileMe payed for two years out (I went a little crazy on buying the upgrade packs whenever I saw them on sale...whoops). Hopefully They have a way to upgrade accounts (even though I'm also a student).

Boomchukalaka
Jun 1, 2011, 11:11 AM
A whole lot of whining goin' on here..."I paid for my MobileMe upgrade...blah blah blah"

What ya think Apple is going to just keep your cash?? Ya think there won't be a refund?? Ya think there won't be some kind of offer to appease you??

Any time in the past that there has been dissatisfaction by the public, Apple has responded to the issue. Bumpers for the iPhone 4's (jeez ya don't hear about that issue in the intervening 30 million odd sales since any more do ya?), free months for subscribers to MobileMe when they botched the last rollout, are prime examples.

Don't get your panties bunched people, let's see what they rollout on Monday and then go all "I'm never gonna...."

juicedropsdeuce
Jun 1, 2011, 11:12 AM

I think iCloud is a collection of services for 'me' which will exclusively be used for any iCloud service provided by Apple. iCloud is a wrapper around MobileMe.

In my opinion, MobileMe is effectively gone. The only things that are there now are:

1. iCloud [target name]
2. "me" services.

Probably right. But, is @me.com any more professional than @iCloud.com? Both would send your resume to the trash bin. :eek:

Mattie Num Nums
Jun 1, 2011, 11:12 AM

I just renewed 2 weeks ago. I expect the exact same thing.

What ya think Apple is going to just keep your cash?? Ya think there won't be a refund?? Ya think there won't be some kind of offer to appease you??

This is Apple we are talking about here.

foodog
Jun 1, 2011, 11:14 AM
Not good enough?

I think you're right. Man, you'd think Apple would have thought of that and built some local-storage into their devices...

Like, SSD chips or something...maybe hard drives in the larger Macs. That sure would be useful.

I think you are on to something here. Better get to the patent office fast!

frunkis54
Jun 1, 2011, 11:14 AM

@me sounds very personal, I always get raised eyebrows and smiles when I use my .me account-it's like an extra email you don't have to set up!

Personal? i think it sounds alittle egocentric.

Jun 1, 2011, 11:15 AM
Ditto.
Which, caused a slight headache when entering my username as my iTunes account info for my TV2. They apparently assume my username is an @me.com address. Once I entered the full username@mac.com, everything worked as advertised.

You should be able to use either address

juicedropsdeuce
Jun 1, 2011, 11:16 AM
Ah pooh, I have MobileMe payed for two years out (I went a little crazy on buying the upgrade packs whenever I saw them on sale...whoops). Hopefully They have a way to upgrade accounts (even though I'm also a student).

Pooh? Look, Apple is always fair about refunding or rolling over to new services. There is no chance it will be different this time. Get a clue.

makingdots
Jun 1, 2011, 11:16 AM
It's funny to see you guys worrying on something unofficial.

ten-oak-druid
Jun 1, 2011, 11:18 AM
I won't ay this cloud business will be a "failure". I think there will be a steady increase in customers finding use for this sort of thing from Apple, Amazon, etc. But I don't think the cloud concept is going to be a huge success that somehow translates into huge profits directly or indirectly. I think investors won't say its a waste of money. It will be profitable enough to justify it. But on the other hand investors aren't going to suddenly go crazy for a brand over the performance of a cloud service.

Ditto.

I primarily use @mac.com. However the same user name works for @me.com. You get to keep the old but the new email address is good too. I can't recall if I had a problem with the appletv or not. Anyway you can log into mobileme using either email address.

Žalgiris
Jun 1, 2011, 11:19 AM
This is Apple we are talking about here.

Don't be silly.

j-traxx
Jun 1, 2011, 11:20 AM
Before snow leopard the Mac OS service packs were about £80, which is about $130 ignoring tax.

Considering the other os you use not being commented on price points, you must be either steve ballmer and dont have to pay or.... you're a software swashbuckler and deserve everything for free.

juicedropsdeuce
Jun 1, 2011, 11:22 AM

Ummm, the raised eyebrows and smiles may be one of those laughing at you vs laughing with you things.

:rolleyes:

mrial
Jun 1, 2011, 11:26 AM

Yea, me too! I can't see Apple ever giving up the mac.com domain so I expect it stay good.

BLACKFRIDAY
Jun 1, 2011, 11:27 AM
Don't be silly.

This is Mattie Num Nums we are talking about here.

rmhop81
Jun 1, 2011, 11:28 AM
Ummm, the raised eyebrows and smiles may be one of those laughing at you vs laughing with you things.

:rolleyes:

kinda like your username?

LoganT
Jun 1, 2011, 11:29 AM
It's possible that MobileMe will stay the same way it is now, but free. And iCloud is a new name for iDisk.

rhett7660
Jun 1, 2011, 11:31 AM
I like the fact there is a possibility there will be a "free" offering. Waiting to see what this is going to be!

BLACKFRIDAY
Jun 1, 2011, 11:36 AM
Probably right. But, is @me.com any more professional than @iCloud.com? Both would send your resume to the trash bin. :eek:

Notice: I work at TI, UK.

Email address domain is not a big deal. You are, if you have a good resume. ;)

juicedropsdeuce
Jun 1, 2011, 11:41 AM
kinda like your username?

Exactly.

Burger King
Jun 1, 2011, 11:46 AM
I wonder if this Icloud service will also offer a Sirius type service. For $xx dollars per month you could listen to any music on your 3G or WiFi enabled device. No need to upload the music and you never have to buy it, and before you say you would run over your bandwith cap maybe Apple has worked out an agreement with the cellular companies tossing them a couple of dollars per month per subscriber to allow their users the extra bandwidth.......don't know if it's possible but would be a good idea without the need for a Sirius type enabled receiver.

milo
Jun 1, 2011, 11:47 AM

That's assuming that Amazon doesn't get sued by the music industry and have to either shut it down or have to charge more.

baryon
Jun 1, 2011, 12:11 PM
I like that word. "Aggressive".

HobeSoundDarryl
Jun 1, 2011, 12:22 PM
I wonder if this Icloud service will also offer a Sirius type service. For $xx dollars per month you could listen to any music on your 3G or WiFi enabled device. No need to upload the music and you never have to buy it, and before you say you would run over your bandwith cap maybe Apple has worked out an agreement with the cellular companies tossing them a couple of dollars per month per subscriber to allow their users the extra bandwidth.......don't know if it's possible but would be a good idea without the need for a Sirius type enabled receiver.

Good idea right up to the "couple of bucks per month" part. Why should AT&T, Verizon, etc offer a special discount for this distribution solely to help make this piece of an iCloud service make Apple money? If you were AT&T, Verizion, etc who have already demonstrated via a very lucrative relationship with Apple on existing Apple products (the iDevices) that you want $25 for just 2GB and $15 for just 250Mb, what is the motivation for you to generously cut into your revenues to make something else that Apple is selling more profitable for Apple?

This is just like this foolish concept that keeps flying around that some kind of cable replacement iTunes subscription is going to be priced well below current cable subscription rates. Conceptually, is that possible? Maybe. But practically, can it happen? No. Why? Because AT&T, Verizon, etc are positioned between Apple's servers and our devices. THEY are the middlemen between this iCloud and us. And they have no incentive to cut their revenue throats to help Apple be more profitable. Nor have they demonstrated any such willingness to do that to date with iPhone & iPad middleman services.

To make your Sirius radio or any of these dreams come true, we need to see strong rumors of Apple making some kind of direct link between the cloud and our devices. Sirius does that with Satts so that their "cloud" content can beam from their servers right to our devices (radio receivers)- no need for the likes of Comcasts, AT&T, Time Warner, Verizon, etc to be in the middle. Apple would need to replicate that type of direct connection AND find a way to do the same for the "on the go" part of the iCloud dream (so that you really could access your iCloud content wherever you are) which would involve some kind of replication of wireless access like 3G/4G everywhere.

In all of this hype, there are NO rumors of how Apple is going to bridge the gap between this cloud and us. It seems probable that we have to make that connection via whatever methods we access Internet content now. Since we know AT&T (for example) charges $25 for just 2GB via 3G, we already can get a feel for having ready access to lots of movies is going to cost a whole lot of money if we want them anywhere we go (movies in my iTunes folder average about 2.5GB per).

Now smaller files like music won't necessarily be killer in terms of eating lots of bandwidth... unless in your own vision of using this iCloud you are heavily accessing content in the iCloud and thus heavily streaming music. If so, it won't take that many songs streamed to get to 2GB. I'd encourage anyone to do the math themselves. My iTunes plus music appears to average about 10Mb per file. How many 10Mb songs could I stream from the iCloud before it eats up all 2GB, so I'd have to pay AT&T again for more access?

Wait. we can just switch to the other guys: http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobilebroadband/?page=plans

just21
Jun 1, 2011, 12:28 PM
icloud allows apple to offer an iphone and ipad at a lower price point with less flash memory. Maybe 4gb for applications and all content streams from icloud.

phpmaven
Jun 1, 2011, 12:32 PM

There's no way in life that they are going to force people to change from me.com to icloud.com email addresses. They may issue new accounts a iCloud.com address, but they would certainly keep the me.com domain live for all of the old accounts.

Really? I think the @me.com is really cool. I have people comment all the time when I give them my address that it's cool. It's also ridiculously easy to remember.

HobeSoundDarryl
Jun 1, 2011, 12:38 PM
icloud allows apple to offer an iphone and ipad at a lower price point with less flash memory. Maybe 4gb for applications and all content streams from icloud.

Yes. The benefit alluded to here is the potential for cheaper iDevices because they can come bundled with less on-board storage. So instead of the total cost of an iPhone being $2-$3K (when service is included), it might now become $3K-$5K per year (because users who have to stream even more will burn through more 3G data).

New iPhone X at $XXX* (with XXX lower than we've seen)

*requires 2 year subscription to iCloud plus a 2 year 3G/4G subscription with a wireless provider like AT&T or Verizon.

Not too long afterwards, the wireless carriers announce that due to increasingly demanding use of wireless bandwidth, they're having to raise rates on their tiered pricing. One does it and only one other has to do it too. Both make a lot more money from millions of customers mostly locked in anyway.

alent1234
Jun 1, 2011, 12:41 PM
Yes. The benefit alluded to here is the potential for cheaper iDevices because they can come bundled with less on-board storage. So instead of the total cost of an iPhone being $2-$3K (when service is included), it might now become $3K-$5K per year (because users who have to stream even more will burn through more 3G data).

New iPhone X at $XXX* (with XXX lower than we've seen)

*requires 2 year subscription to iCloud plus a 2 year 3G/4G subscription with a wireless provider like AT&T or Verizon.

Not too long afterwards, the wireless carriers announce that due to increasingly demanding use of wireless bandwidth, they're having to raise rates on their tiered pricing. One does it and only one other has to do it too. Both make a lot more money from millions of customers mostly locked in anyway.

who pays $200 a month for a cell phone bill?

Reach9
Jun 1, 2011, 12:42 PM
Thank god! I was getting the impression that iCloud was only going to be music streaming. But if the "free" version is just like Dropbox, then that's fine enough for me! I couldn't care less about streaming songs off the internet when i carry my iPhone around with me.

Also, regardless the price of Lion i'm definitely buying it. Here's hoping for another $29!

HobeSoundDarryl
Jun 1, 2011, 12:50 PM
who pays $200 a month for a cell phone bill?

You will if you buy into streaming everything from the cloud and pay AT&T $25 for 2GB and stream only 8 (2GB) movies from this iCloud. That's only EIGHT movies streamed from this iCloud in ONE month via AT&T currently published rate (Verizon is no better)... with nothing assumed for iTunes movie rentals OR iCloud costs (we know that won't be the case). Nor are we allowing any other streaming of Apps, maps, youtube, etc.

People are posting about cutting their cable and streaming everything they watch from this iCloud and imagining they are going to somehow save money. Apparently, they assume iCloud is going to cost very little, some kind of iTunes subscription services is coming and will cost very little, and that AT&T & Verizon are going to cut a special deal on iCloud data flow to help Apple be more profitable at AT&T & Verizon's own expense. Are pigs flying? Has Hell frozen over?

Bottom line: the cost of the toll between iCloud and us must be addressed for this to work as many dreamers seem to be dreaming. Or those dreamers must not care much about how much they pay the gatekeepers of the pipes to stream as much as they want to stream. There is unlikely to be some magical compromise that can wash out the toll unless we get a "one more thing" and Apple announces the purchases of someone like Dish network and some of the 3G/4G carriers (or big blocks of international 3G/4G bandwidth so they can become a faux carrier). Apple must cover the link between iCloud and the users or we will be at the mercy of the tollbooths (via names like AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, Time Warner, etc). They already show us how much they want to charge for anywhere & everywhere streaming service (tolls). Do the math for your own imagined streaming applications (even iTunes plus songs will add up fast if you plan to stream much music each month) and you'll quickly see the most fundamental problem with the iCloud proposition.

fletch33
Jun 1, 2011, 12:59 PM

that is awesome !!!!

i agree and so glad i am @mac and dont have to switch to @me :)

toddybody
Jun 1, 2011, 01:00 PM
I try to live within the low end, 200MB AT&Tease cap. "Streaming" (if allowable over 3G) would kill that quickly.

Damn you for taking away my $30 unlimited plan AT&T!

MSlaw
Jun 1, 2011, 01:01 PM
Oh no I class the "major" upgrades as service packs because they should have been free.

Troll much?

zergy
Jun 1, 2011, 01:05 PM
awesome for students! I am reticent to jump into using a paid cloud service due to its seemingly superfluous nature and fear of becoming reliant on a service which I may be unable to afford semester to semester.

Free for students is what keeps me using Amazon Prime!

MSlaw
Jun 1, 2011, 01:08 PM
I try to live within the low end, 200MB AT&Tease cap. "Streaming" (if allowable over 3G) would kill that quickly.

Damn you for taking away my $30 unlimited plan AT&T!

actually GPS can kill that quickly lol

Cambot
Jun 1, 2011, 01:12 PM
I predicted and posted this idea over a year ago and it got shot down. Now it's all over the front page.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=890134&highlight=cambot
Originally Posted by Cambot
2010: Classic uses flash drive
2011: Apple uses cloud based iTunes and 3g/WiFi to stream your base iTunes anywhere in the world and storage becomes a thing of the past.
May 30, 2010

I doubt I would use this service unless it's packaged with my current MobileMe subscription.

toddybody
Jun 1, 2011, 01:18 PM
awesome for students! I am reticent to jump into using a paid cloud service due to its seemingly superfluous nature and fear of becoming reliant on a service which I may be unable to afford semester to semester.

Free for students is what keeps me using Amazon Prime!

Dearest friend,
Your post incites the deepest passions within my being. Bombastic language has been long absent from the murk of MacRumors colloquy.
I applaud your efforts to elevate the commenting standards of this forum.

http://theophiliacs.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/pipe-smoking-man-2.jpg?w=208&h=300

Oh, college Students! Ya'll are hilarious! ;)

Piggie
Jun 1, 2011, 01:34 PM
What about this?

http://www.uvvu.com/index.php

LoganT
Jun 1, 2011, 01:34 PM
I think it’s a good thing all of these cloud services are coming to fruition right now. With the mobile carriers not offering unlimited data anymore, you might look at this as a bad thing. However, with more and more people using cloud services from Amazon, Google, and Apple, there’s going to be a lot more people complaining about the lack of bandwidth options from the mobile carriers. Most users don’t go over the 2GB limit, but they might start to with these services.

Carriers might start offering unlimited again if enough people complain about it. Or at least a 10 GB a month limit.

dlsife
Jun 1, 2011, 01:37 PM
Find My iPhone/iPad and registration of mac.com AIM names (https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyAppleId.woa/wa/createAppleId?createacctype=lite&userid=dmac&localang=en_US) already constitute a free tier of MobileMe.
Can you register that .mac address then use if for email?

pmz
Jun 1, 2011, 01:44 PM

1. iCloud [target name]
2. "me" services.

Yea, well when the switch was made to MobileMe, we all ended up with two email addresses for the same account. And ask anyone with a .mac email, there have been many occasions when .mac addresses would not work as logins, etc.. During the MobileMe rollout crisis, many of us starting using the @me.com addresses, hoping they would work when @mac would not.

Nowadays, I've finally gotten everything over to @me.com....except my ACTUAL AppleID for iTunes and everything else, that can't be changed. Really annoying.

I don't need @icloud.com to totally throw everything off, AGAIN.

dgree03
Jun 1, 2011, 01:45 PM
Apple is a little late to the part on most of these request, lets hope they make it "magical" :rolleyes:

My predictions on iCloud.

- Everything you purchase from Apple will be “synced” with the cloud, be it media/apps/or software. Actually it will just remember what you purchase/purchased and make that available if you upgrade hardware or something.

Google/Android does this

- Mail and calendar syncing (exchange) will be free.

Google/Android Does this

- Personal file (any file) back up will be free for Apple hardware purchasers up to a certain capacity. Larger capacity will require a fee.

Google/Android/Dropbox/Sugarsync does this

- You will have access to ALL your cloud data from any machine via an OS/Mac app or Web portal.

Google/Android/Dropbox/Sugarsync Does this

- Streaming is a tricky one. I’m guessing it will be free for any Itunes purchased content but I’m thinking there will be a fee for the rest… but that has a really bad stench of anticompetition.

google/amazon does this
Overall, the main service features will need to be free or else this will bomb. Apple makes enough money off it’s hardware and software that backing up and access your stuff will now be part of the Apple products you buy. People are It’s already that way with apps, I see iCloud as expanding on that successful model.

I really hope they bring a unique challening product, but if past cloud project are the judge, they will fail!

ldellx3
Jun 1, 2011, 01:47 PM
lets say i get a macbook pro in 2 weeks but for some reason lion isnt actually available until september could i get lion for a discounted price because i got my mac so close to the date

HobeSoundDarryl
Jun 1, 2011, 01:55 PM
Carriers might start offering unlimited again if enough people complain about it. Or at least a 10 GB a month limit.

The carriers are already offering 10GB per month... you just have to pay extra for it. It's not a matter of whining loudly enough to motivate for profit companies like AT&T & Verizon to give us lower costs. With only 2 major players, we could all cry as loudly as we possibly can. There's only 4 ways that we end up with better pricing on increased cell data usage:

New competition that fights on price- every such competitor that pops up gets bought out and absorbed by the 2 dominant players
Government mandates- usually lots of talk & posturing but no real action (has your broadband rate went down in the last couple of years?)
People quit cell services en masse with a unified reason of pricing being too high, which then motivates the players to lower their prices (good luck with this one)
Some completely new communications invention that is ultra cheap, high bandwidth, wide area, and easy & quick to deploy globally. (Star Trek subspace? Something else?)

AT&T & Verizon are happy to sell you whatever level of streaming data you need. If that's 10GB, it looks like you can get that for $80 per month from Verizon http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobilebroadband/?page=plans and probably something comparable from AT&T. If it will vary, paying dynamically (per GB) looks like it can cost more.

Hueyfreeman
Jun 1, 2011, 02:01 PM
Ok so the icloud thing will be cheaper if I purchase their computer hardware? If yes, Google here I come. I don't buy prebuilt computers of any type.

Second I been using pandora all the time for over a year. The thing that prevents me from going over a cap is I use WIFI. My apartment has one and my school has one so why would I use 3g. For those of you complaining about data caps, most bussinesses offer free wifi. Seriously the only time I use it on 3g is when I am traveling, oh wait the greyhound and amtrak companies are offering wifi now. Only time a service like this really gets used on 3g is on commutes and jogs.

maclaptop
Jun 1, 2011, 02:08 PM
Apple Tax is about to skyrocket.

The price of owning iToys is about to go through the roof.

And you thought the concept of "fragmentation" was bad. "Tiered Pricing" is as nefarious as it gets.

Bend over, Apples headed your way LOL.

dgree03
Jun 1, 2011, 02:13 PM
Apple Tax is about to skyrocket.

The price of owning iToys is about to go through the roof.

And you thought the concept of "fragmentation" was bad. "Tiered Pricing" is as nefarious as it gets.

Bend over, Apples headed your way LOL.

Nighty Night, keep your B-holes tight!

HobeSoundDarryl
Jun 1, 2011, 02:14 PM
Ok so the icloud thing will be cheaper if I purchase their computer hardware? If yes, Google here I come. I don't buy prebuilt computers of any type.

Second I been using pandora all the time for over a year. The thing that prevents me from going over a cap is I use WIFI. My apartment has one and my school has one so why would I use 3g. For those of you complaining about data caps, most bussinesses offer free wifi. Seriously the only time I use it on 3g is when I am traveling, oh wait the greyhound and amtrak companies are offering wifi now. Only time a service like this really gets used on 3g is on commutes and jogs.

The 3G providers are just the leaders of the trend, much like there was one airline that decided to fee us for any baggage first and then the others followed. Already, many people's home broadband providers (Comcast for example) have capped what was billed as "unlimited Internet" at certain levels (much higher than 2GB mind you... for now). The tiers on even home broadband already exist and AT&T & Verizon's incredible growth proves people are willing to pay up for very limited tiers (AT&T's 2GB rate for example is more than 50% of what I pay for 250GB on Comcast).

It's only a matter of time- especially if this iCloud starts heavily biting into Comcast, Time Warner, AT&T, Verizon, etc cable subscription business revenues- before they start adapting their tiers and/or broadband pricing ("due to increasing demand") to make up for any losses (and/or for purely greed-driven purposes). They will not allow a company like Apple to take their video subscription business revenues with Apple flowing their replacement through Comcast, Time Warner, AT&T, Verizon, etc pipes. No possible way.

So enjoy your "unlimited" wifi that is probably already limited. Then stand by to watch it get squeezed should iCloud get any legs and actually start costing the bandwidth gatekeepers money.

By the way: free wifi is not really free- someone pays for it to make it available to you. McDonalds, Starbucks, Barnes & Noble, etc do not have access to a magical source of wireless bandwidth that costs them nothing. Instead, they pay for it for us as part of their thinking on what might lure us into their stores. Who do they buy it from? The same sources we buy it from directly. And should those sources start raising their rates for broadband (see it coming), eventually it will become a more expensive business decision to decide to continue to comp it. What seems to be given is just as quickly taken away... all it takes is higher pricing to you, me, Starbucks, McDonalds, Barnes & Noble, etc. But AT&T, Verizon and other broadband players wouldn't try to raise prices would they? Hint: remember how fast the unlimited "use it only when you need it" plan lasted when the iPad with 3G launched?

AidenShaw
Jun 1, 2011, 02:19 PM
Notice: I work at TI, UK.

Email address domain is not a big deal. You are, if you have a good resume. ;)

My company mainly creates software for the 95% of the world that is not using Apples. (Enterprise UNIX/Linux/Windows and Windows clients)

I can guarantee you that replying to an email from us with a return address of "me.com" and a "Sent from my Iphone" signature will damage your chances.

Of course, if a company is making software for the 5% Apple base, those might be advantageous.

My VP has an Iphone 4, and when he's able to get a signal his signature is "Sent from my mobile"

charlituna
Jun 1, 2011, 02:35 PM

The syncing stuff will likely be free period. Just like they did with "find my". Since it's all text based it's probably only perhaps 100MB tops per user so they can afford that.

Then tiers on top for everything else particularly the music stuff. No way would the labels let this happen without some kind of broadcast fee, especially for non itunes purchased tracks. Hell they tried to claim the 30 second previews were a broadcast. ANd the streaming is the perfect gateway to get folks buying into the total service.

There are rumors of something being offered free with Lion and I suspect it could be true. But it won't be the media streaming and it will likely be a low grade tier with limited storage and only the first year at most. Like email and idisk at say 5gb total

As for the whole Back to School thing, it's possible that it might launch next week, that would be in line with previous timings. But it is likely not going to be mentioned at WWDC. It will just appear on the site and in the stores as always

Piggie
Jun 1, 2011, 02:39 PM
So are we seriously thinking that you will go onto iTunes and buy a Album or perhaps Movie, and then have to pay a month sub to have this purchased Album/Movie streamed to your device if you want it?

Old Muley
Jun 1, 2011, 02:45 PM
Can you register that .mac address then use if for email?

This still works for me. I have xxxx@me.com and xxxx@mac.com; my wife uses one and I use the other. Incoming mail all routes into the .me account but that's not really a problem for us.

I'm really hoping for some kind of price break for those of use who've been long time .mac/MobileMe users. (Of course I also want an updated version of iWeb and working integration between Microsoft Exchange and iCal, but I'm not holding my breath...)

HobeSoundDarryl
Jun 1, 2011, 02:47 PM
So are we seriously thinking that you will go onto iTunes and buy a Album or perhaps Movie, and then have to pay a month sub to have this purchased Album/Movie streamed to your device if you want it?

I think most of this crowd grasps that buying music will still be buying music. I think they are imagining that instead of (or in addition to) storing it on their local hard drive they'll also just stream it from iCloud. I don't think they believe they'll pay much more to stream it (and some think the iCloud will be free:rolleyes:). But where the bite will really hit is in the AT&T, Verizon, etc bill because even an iTunes plus song streamed enough times in a month will burn through $25 of the 2GB via AT&T.

It seems lots of people are just pretending or not doing the math. For example, just one 2-hour movie can be bigger than 2GB. Buy or rent it on iTunes, pay the iCloud stream fee, and pay to stream it via AT&T or Verizon? Or pay less than $25 for the DVD, rip it, and sync it to take it with you (owning it forever). There's no doubt the iCloud variation offers a convenience factor. But unless we really can keep getting easy access to free wifi wherever we go/travel, that convenience via 3G is going to pack quite a punch on the monthly data bill... especially for video streamers.

And even if we try to make it work with free wifi hotspots, what's it going to be like if 3+ iDevices are all trying to download a fat movie file from the iCloud at the same time? I've never found Starbucks, McDonalds, B&N etc. free wifi to be exactly roaring fast... even when those stores were relatively empty.

rcjh22
Jun 1, 2011, 02:52 PM
Will you still be able to get a free iPod touch with b2ss?

Justinf79
Jun 1, 2011, 03:56 PM
It's a good thing my MobileMe service ends on June 9th, and isn't set to renew. Good timing! :)

Cougarcat
Jun 1, 2011, 03:57 PM
Will you still be able to get a free iPod touch with b2ss?

Probably, it's been the norm for the past several years. Also there's a rumor that you will be able to use that $200 towards an iPad.

louis Fashion
Jun 1, 2011, 04:00 PM

you can email me @yahoo.com

it works, its free and I can not recall down time or weird changes from:

@mac to @me to @icloud (god give us strength)

tigres
Jun 1, 2011, 05:32 PM

Same

But more importantly, this needs to work. I mean work really well.

I have a love hate relationship with MM and .mac before it. iDisk...a joke.

They can charge me if it flies, and my email works perfect along with iDisk, otherwise dropbox ftw.

ADD: also, let us configure our accounts from mobile devices apple. I want full control of MM and preferences away from my MBA. Kthx

mikeoc
Jun 1, 2011, 05:46 PM
Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/icloud_mobileme_idisk.jpg)

That's not the actual logo/icon is it???

If so Mr Jobs, I'm dissapointed in you - as someone with some natural pride in good typography you've let this one slip the net. Far too open spacing.

Of course if it isn't, then nice try to who ever did it. Sorry!

tigres
Jun 1, 2011, 05:48 PM
Image (http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/icloud_mobileme_idisk.jpg)

That's not the actual logo/icon is it???

If so Mr Jobs, I'm dissapointed in you - as someone with some natural pride in good typography you've let this one slip the net. Far too open spacing.

Of course if it isn't, then nice try to who ever did it. Sorry!

The icon is the current iDisk app icon- that font no way in the world.

twoodcc
Jun 1, 2011, 05:58 PM
well everyone loves free stuff. apple usually doesn't do free, but hopefully that will change this time

frocco
Jun 1, 2011, 06:43 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

+1

caspersoong
Jun 1, 2011, 08:19 PM
They should make all free except for streaming to all iOS device users with iOS 5. If not, I bet that this wouldn't really catch on except at America.

MrSmith
Jun 1, 2011, 08:49 PM
Really? You rankle at having to pay for major OS updates, even when the last one cost $29...? Do you know any software programmers? Have you any idea of the amount of work that goes into a major OS release?
If you don't want to pay, find a free distribution of Unix. Just don't expect Apple (or Microsoft) to give away the major releases of their OSes for free.

So, like individual programmers, you think Apple programmers are paid according to how many units of the OS are sold? I expect Apple to supply the best and latest software so the machine I bought from them continues to run optimally for the rest of its life. You want to continue paying? That's your choice, but don't assume it's the right one.

PCClone
Jun 2, 2011, 12:14 AM

Enjoy your Windows PC and Google mining all of your data.

steadysignal
Jun 2, 2011, 07:10 AM
I believe it.

'Free cloud stuff' is where Google has Apple totally licked. I don't think Apple has any choice if they want to attack Android and Chromebooks head-on.

Yeah, charge for the music stuff, but contacts, calendars, Pages documents...all that stuff is eventually gonna have to be free for Macs and iOS devices if Apple wants to keep selling devices.

its not free over at google - you get bombarded with contextual advertisement.

i'd rather pay and see no adverts...

dp1363
Jun 2, 2011, 08:15 AM
I am a huge Apple fan, but Apple is charging over the top prices for their products and services, and now they have been playing catch up to the competitition lately. It was more acceptable when we all payed over the top prices for their products, and they were the cutting edge of technology.

Now that the hardware components are the same as the Windows world there is no reason to charge so much. There is no reason apple cant take over the "Lion's" share of the computer market.

Offering iCloud for free would be a good start. I hope that will be the case.

vespagirl
Jun 2, 2011, 09:17 AM

So do I and I didn't change to @me.com a few years ago and really don't want to change to whatever the new one may be. I, too, am paid through early next year and I'm curious as to how they will handle their existing MobileMe account holders with this new launch.

zedsdead
Jun 2, 2011, 02:38 PM
The name to me doesn't matter at this point. I want a sync service that doesn't create duplicate contacts, and to have iDisk work as good as Dropbox. Not sure why this is so hard for Apple to achieve.