Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brazen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Hi all,

Before today, I already owned an iPod mini that I've been using successfully. Today, my daughter got her own pod, as well. We have a PC that's running Windows XP.

I can't get the NEW pod to register on iTunes as it's own self! When I put it on the dock, nothing happens. iTunes doesn't open up. So I open iTunes myself and it won't recognize the new pod. I put the CD iPod software in the CD ROM drive and the install wizard starts up, but then it asks if I'm sure I want to fully UNinstall iTunes! I definitely don't because my OWN music is in there!

Can anyone help me get the new pod registered on this same computer so that iTunes recognizes both of them?

I have found websites that show how to have two separate play lists to manually update 2 different pods... but I just can't even get THAT far!

Thanks so much,

Lisa

hiroaku

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2005
Utrecht, The Netherlands
First of all, uninstalling iTunes probably won't really wipe all your music. If push comes to shove and you do try to reinstall iTunes, find your music on your hard drive and move it to some other directory. If you've been using the nifty features of iTunes, more specifically, the one that organises all your music, you should be able to just move the entire "iTunes Music Library" directory to some other place and be able to restore it at some later time. This is because your music isn't actually *in* iTunes, but iTunes just manages a list of where it can find the music on your harddrive.

But that's probably beside the point right now. What might be helpful in assessing the real problem is whether your PC recognises the second iPod at all. You could check this by checking whether a new drive appears in the overview of your drives when you connect the ipod.

There could also be a problem with your computer trying to give the new iPod a drive name that's already taken, for instance by your other iPod (eg trying to name it "G:" when "G:" is your other iPod). PC's can be a bit stubborn at times.

What you might also try is not use the dock, but just use the cable that came with the iPod. Connect that to the computer and check whether the iPod shows up, either in iTunes or in some explorer overview.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.