PDA

View Full Version : Installing OS X Tiger onto Power Mac G4

takethislife
Jun 1, 2011, 03:06 PM
I'm in desperate need of help with getting OS X Tiger onto my Power Mac G4 "Yikes!". I've plugged a DVD-RW capable CD drive into the computer, and tried to run a burnt CD with the disc 1 on it, and no matter how long I hold "C", it just flashes the finder and question mark thing. I've tried using TransMac program to make a flash drive bootable for Mac. Any suggestions, guys? Thanks in advance.
-Alex

simsaladimbamba
Jun 1, 2011, 03:08 PM
Is the external ODD connected via Firewire? If it is USB, then it will not boot from a CD or DVD inserted into an ODD connected via USB.

takethislife
Jun 1, 2011, 03:23 PM
Is the external ODD connected via Firewire? If it is USB, then it will not boot from a CD or DVD inserted into an ODD connected via USB.

I'm not sure what an external ODD is. But, I know I have nothing connected via Firewire.

simsaladimbamba
Jun 1, 2011, 03:31 PM
I'm not sure what an external ODD is. But, I know I have nothing connected via Firewire.

ODD = Optical Disk Drive

takethislife
Jun 1, 2011, 03:58 PM
ODD = Optical Disk Drive

Oh. I used an internal one (IDE/PATA) so it's neither Firewire or USB.

kevin242
Jun 1, 2011, 04:47 PM
Oh. I used an internal one (IDE/PATA) so it's neither Firewire or USB.

It sound's like you burned the cd wrong and the mac is not recognizing it as a bootable disk. If you can get a copy of Leopard it runs faster with a G4 and is more compatible with new software.

takethislife
Jun 1, 2011, 07:18 PM
It sound's like you burned the cd wrong and the mac is not recognizing it as a bootable disk. If you can get a copy of Leopard it runs faster with a G4 and is more compatible with new software.

I don't know, but now I have a new problem.
I put the Tiger boot onto a flashdrive with TransMac and it loaded up the CD successfully, but got stuck at a screen with a loading thing and after a few minutes, the Apple logo changed to a stop thing.